Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Oh Ben Bates is most definitely my favorite artist for Sally.

tumblr_m86pre74Ed1ra3a2yo1_500.png

Like....I can imagine her looking like this is if she was every put in the games, it's great.

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh Ben Bates is most definitely my favorite artist for Sally.

tumblr_m86pre74Ed1ra3a2yo1_500.png

Like....I can imagine her looking like this is if she was every put in the games, it's great.

Agreed. She looks very cute and feminine and quite in-line with the proportions of the other characters.

Agreed. She looks very cute and feminine and quite in-line with the proportions of the other characters.

I agree there, that is a close to her SatAM appearance as possible

I can't stand Ben Bates art. He makes the characters heads too big. They look like fucking bobble heads.

I miss the days when we had artists like J. Axer, and Dawn Best. The more Sega Sonic art style the book has now is boring.

Edited by Vampfox

I think the comics have an art style that I can actually call high quality. I even have a tier list.

High Tier

-Bates

-Spaz

High Middle Tier

-Yardley

-Pepper

-Jon Gray

Middle Tier

-Butler

-J. Axer

-James Fry

Low Middle

-Herms

Bottom

-Many Hands

-Ron Lim

-Ken Penders

The general art style of the comics actually resembles something of a comic book based on a video game series for kids. The colors are actually bright and are wall less dull than when it was in the dark ages.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't stand Ben Bates art. He makes the characters heads too big. They look like fucking bobble heads.

I miss the days when we had artists like J. Axer, and Dawn Best. The more Sega Sonic art style the book has now is boring.

Sorry man, but with the forced mandate by SEGA we seen the last of weird art styles by different artists, its all universal now. may be boring at times, but its better then having artists fly off the handle and create some oddball, half assed work.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Thumbs Up 4

Rouge was made to be Ms. sexual, They added jiggle physics to her in SA2 and in 2006 you could look down her chest! then there was her outfits in heroes and SA2 multiplayer. her being sexualized is nothing new but it does make your point clear.

Dear god what the HELL is wrong with rotor there? did he eat a sumo wrestler? blink.png

Edited by goku262002

Not meaning to be sarcastic here, but doesn't it stand to reason that, in a comic based on/ derived from the games themselves, the characters should, you know, actually resemble their proper, official appearance?

Different universe/ canon/ whatever etc isn't an excuse for the artists to experiment with drastically different styles. It's called being on-model and conforming to the proper designs. There's having your own style, then there's taking a bit too much creative liberty, which a lot of the older artists did far too much. Sonic should still closely and strongly resemble Sonic, regardless of the universe or medium he's in.

J. Axer was pretty good. Dawn Best started off okay but her style got weird later on, in my opinion.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 8

I remember how Sally was drawn in that Issue called Hearts Held Hostage when Mina took that bullet for her. Oh...ugh.

That's when Sally looked awesome.

They seemed to be trying sometyhing different and adopting a more manga inspired style of overly exaggerated everything, and yes that includes curvy female parts. Honestly don't understand all the hate of "oh no there are boobs in my kids comic"

Its as bad as those parents that have nothing better to do than lobby against banning all video games because their content causes kids to be violent.

People need to get over it.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 1

It just looks odd when sally and other female characters start out with somewhat normal sonic type bodies, to having a perfect human bod and standing next to 2 large circles. It no matter how you slice it, looks ODD. That's like putting you_say_i__m_sane_by_evileyescomix-d3hn1xk.jpgnext to .....SuperGIRLfriend.jpg

in the same comic looking just like that and expecting them to fit in without anyone noticing.

Edit as one of the pictures was too big. :c

Edited by Vicki Turner
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still think that Dawn Best and J. Axer are better then the current artists who work on the book nowadays.

Dawn Best

Julie-Su-team-chaotix-archie-17221400-286-396.jpg

vecjulie1.jpg

vecjulie2.jpg

J. Axer

minasally.jpg

aliciashake.jpg

They are some really great artist, but the comic doesn't do them justice at ALL. And tho no fault in Dawn's own, the inker for alot of her issues made her designs look kindof clunky. J.Axer needed a better colorist on his issues, as the super detailed art lost something when the colors got slapped on.

As far as who's better? That is all up to opinion, my fav right now is BATES. He just gives a really cute anime look to the series which I love. THAT and dude..... his action pages are awesome. As an artist myself, it's been a LONG time since a sonic comic has made me want to draw and better my game in my own comics. It took Tracey and Bates to get me to be inspired from the comic again. But it's all opinion. Dawn and Axer got jinxed as either the inker or the colorist bunked up their pencils which is a shame.

Edited by Vicki Turner
  • Thumbs Up 1

What bugs me in Dawn's case is that she spent most of her time just filling in Penders unfinished artwork. She hardly got to actually show her real talent.

I know right? I talked with both of them actually about trying to get hired in at Archie. They told me things about what they were going through that made me second guess it. This was on DeviantArt mind you thru notes. But yeah I forgot about Ken going over her pencils for most of her run. And BTW I'm still hyped over the Megaman/sonic cross over that's happening next year.

So...he was randomly another color...just to crack an unfunny joke?

Seems legit.

I think it's a reference to the fact that classic Espio is purple, and Modern Espio is something of a fuschia color. Got screwed up cause the colorist goof'd

RE: Charmy: I do recall Flynn saying that he's pretty much unable to do anything with Charmy as the higher ups weren't too happy about how he changed him to the game version. For better or worse, he's been written into a corner.

Something new and interesting I read today. Just bought 'Darkest Storm Saga' graphic novel. It has character profiles on a few people. In Mammoth Mogul's it states he absorbed Dimitri, the 3rd Enerjak's energy. I remember Finitevus claiming of past Enerjaks but now it seems they've put a number to it.

I'd say so, apart from it's the size of the super special and it cut's some back stories if I remember.

Don't the Saga books just contain a single, complete arc in them? That's the impression I got from the ads, anyway.

Something new and interesting I read today. Just bought 'Darkest Storm Saga' graphic novel. It has character profiles on a few people. In Mammoth Mogul's it states he absorbed Dimitri, the 3rd Enerjak's energy. I remember Finitevus claiming of past Enerjaks but now it seems they've put a number to it.

Assuming Aurora was the 1st or 2nd Enerjak (I gonna go out on a limb and say she was the first), that means we are one Enerjak short of a coherent timeline.

Aurora --> Dimitri --> Knuckles --> (Alternate reality Knux + Jani-Ca)

Cram in a mystery demi-god either before or after Aurora and that's what we could be working with.

Hmm. I wonder where they will go from here?

I think the Enerjak concept is one of the few things I like from about regarding the Echidnas.

Same here, The Enerjak stuff is the only Echidna stuff I bother to pay attention too, everything else I just ignore and don't care about.