Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It's not like she's hogging the spotlight or page time. So why not? For the most part under new management she's been a background/support character. You're not supposed to get major character development out of those. You're not supposed to to expect ground breaking story arcs around them either. But supporting characters is all a part of world building and there isn't anything inherently wrong with her or her relationship with Knuckles. The SoulTouch thing in theory is stupid.

Ok, unless they're background characters, I kind of like my cast of characters to be fleshed out. She's not a bad character, but she's not a particularly good one either. Why should we care about her and Knuckles, what gravitates them towards each other, what keeps them together. If you're not going to answer any of these questions, then she has no business being around and would be better off being completely forgotten honestly.

The only reason I can't answer is because I honestly don't remember. It is not until recently that I've seriously started to read the comics. What I remember from back when I was in Higshcool....Middle School perhaps? It's so hazy I can't recall anything. And I don't have those issues anymore. So maybe someone who does can tell you though in the end it's all a matter of opinion.

And you just said yourself that you're okay with background characters. But you want main characters to be fleshed out. Julie-Su is a background character. Yet you still demand massive character development from her. That sounds contradictory. So I don't know. You could just answer your own questions. You're the one who really just does not like Julie Su for whatever reason. I don't think I'm supposed to encourage you to go find scans but hey. That option is there. Just shift through the archives, find the issues with Julie-Su in them, and read them.

Edited by Dejablue

Julie-Su was the focus of quite a bit of character development in the past... I'm kinda disappointed that you guys barely remember it all.

Su's character arc was basically about the girl coming to terms with her involvement with the Dark Legion and trying to thrive in a world where she found herself out of place on both sides of the conflict. (Her dreads were a dead giveaway that she was former legion - earning her the ire of other Echidna's. On the other side, she had already betrayed her way out of the Dark Legion). For a while there, Knuckles was one of the only ones who accepted her for who she was. When stacked on top of the absurd soul touch concept, that helped to explain why she stuck around him.

The problem with Su is that after a second stint with the legion, a meeting with Enerjak and an extended amount of time to prove her worth to the Chaotix and the rest of the Echidna race, all this development more or less ran its course. Furthermore, she never gained much in the way of new things to work on. For a time there she was a role model for Amy, and her spat with Vector went well beyond the actual development itself, but those things aside she only had her role as a skilled combatant, her status as Lein-Da's sister, and being Knuckles girlfriend to fall back on. She kinda blended into the background.

Unless she gets something else to work on or worry about, she's kinda stuck. Julie-Su isn't another bland character who's sole existence is to be Knuckles baby-mama. She's a developed character who could use 2 or 3 new problems to work on.

Considering the constant plight of her race, it shouldn't be too much to ask in the future.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 6

Unfortunately, I don't think Julie-Su is going to get that chance to get new problems for a good while. Ian seems to be more focused on giving Knuckles and the rest of the Chaotix something to get their teeth into over Julie-Su, so she's the one losing out the most.

Not that I'm complaining about that...

You are kidding. Saffron doesn't need that much development. What part of "I'm a supporting background role" do you not understand. Holy shit next thing you'll be wanting Megan Acorn to go on an epic solo journey. Holy shit you guys.

Besides if Saffron did get development that would take time away from your precious Sega official characters. In which case you would all incessantly bitch and whine and bitch some more.

Edited by Dejablue
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm not being difficult. But Saffron is touted of being part of the Chaotix, characters who are pretty major.

As I said I don't mind Julie Su, but Saffron has always bugged me as she always seemed in the Chaotix "just because".

Ray has even less history. He had that one appearance in that old as shit game so he was just sort of stuck in there for some nostalgia value. But seriously there is no reason for him to be their either.

So I'll just be waiting here for your complaints about Ray the Squirrel to start too.

Ray has a decently developed relationship with Mighty, and he actually has a personality.

Hell, we'll probably get more of than in the upcoming Chaotix arc in SU.

Edited by Soniman

I can forgive Saffron's lack of development under Ian; she's intrinsically tied to Charmy for her action, and since Ian wrote him into a dead end, Saffron's been forced the same way. The upcoming arc should give Charmy a new purpose, which hopefully means that Saffron in turn can be given some new lease of character.

Besides if Saffron did get development that would take time away from your precious Sega official characters. In which case you would all incessantly bitch and whine and bitch some more.

More like her and Julie-Su were created to just hook up with another character for no other reason than to tack on some half-assed romance to the story.

And Saffron is Charmy's fiancee(not really, they're just friends since the Bee Kingdom thingy got crushed by Eggman) who decided to stick with him even after he lost his mind due to the egg grapes. You're just picking and choosing what is okay and what isn't. In the end both characters have seriously limited history yet they have a meaningful relationship with a main member of the chaotix hence their involvement. But in the end it doesn't matter because they are supporting roles. They are not the core team but they are 'members' in association.

Edited by Dejablue

Maybe Chaotix should actually act like a team and have some sort of specialization because they are just the Freedom Fighters without any visible threat. The only justification for them seems to be for Knuckles to have friends around which runs counter to everything that has ever been said about Knuckles and help him guard the Master Emerald and Angel Island by extension. So far, they are just back up for when Eggman starts winning.

Honestly, there are a lot of things that need to be done away like the warp ring system or at least any ability that resembles instantaneous travel without a Chaos Emerald(this could boost why the Chaos Emeralds are so important), Knothole/New Mobotropolis as the central home world(this bothers me because Ian literally has a playground and does nothing in it), and half of the implied importance of the echidna civilization.

If and when Sally goes back to normal, I hope she gets a substantially reduced role or at least gets written better. Her characterization was something of a blackhole prior to her death, rebirth, robotization, or whatever.

Edited by turbojet

Maybe Chaotix should actually act like a team and have some sort of specialization because they are just the Freedom Fighters without any visible threat. The only justification for them seems to be for Knuckles to have friends around which runs counter to everything that has ever been said about Knuckles and help him guard the Master Emerald and Angel Island by extension. So far, they are just back up for when Eggman starts winning.

Honestly, there are a lot of things that need to be done away like the warp ring system or at least any ability that resembles instantaneous travel without a Chaos Emerald(this could boost why the Chaos Emeralds are so important), Knothole/New Mobotropolis as the central home world(this bothers me because Ian literally has a playground and does nothing in it), and half of the implied importance of the echidna civilization.

If and when Sally goes back to normal, I hope she gets a substantially reduced role or at least gets written better. Her characterization was something of a blackhole prior to her death, rebirth, robotization, or whatever.

Ian has wrote her better. For one 230, redeemed her from the past writers garbage, and second Sally doesn't even follow Sonic around on all of his missions nor all of his battles. Sonic and Sally have sarcastic dialouge when ever they enter act like in #221 or in #175. Sally is the protagonist love intetrest so she does have a role just like Mary Jane is to Spider man or Louis Lane is to Super man.

Just because Knuckles started out as a loner doesn't mean he isn't allowed to have close friends he can trust.

If Knuckles isn't supposed to have friends then thousands of people missed that memo years ago. Like around the time Knuckles Chaotix was made.

Yeah, America and Europe did miss the memo thanks to the manual's localisation not following the Japanese one. But hey, it all got fixed in Heroes game wise. biggrin.png

This is a different medium though, so it's not like it has to strictly adhere to the rules regarding character friendships (the ancestor stuff is just stupid, though), I just don't want them to be exclusively Knuckles' loyal yes-men except Vector who gets punished for daring to answer back to Julie-Su. Under Ian's pen, that has been improved, quite a lot.

Yeah Knuckles isn't supposed to have friends. Guess somebody should tell this to the game makers prior to 1998 rolleyes.gif

Can't believe the amount of bitching that goes on about characters. Chaotix suck because they're just a back up team for Knuckles, Julie-su sucks because shes just a gf for Knuckles, Saffron sucks cuz shes just a background gf for Charmy, Sally sucks because..... we just hate Sally for no reason.

They way you people complain there'd be no characters and the comic would be filled with white blank pages.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't believe the amount of bitching that goes on about characters. Chaotix suck because they're just a back up team for Knuckles, Julie-su sucks because shes just a gf for Knuckles, Saffron sucks cuz shes just a background gf for Charmy, Sally sucks because..... we just hate Sally for no reason.

They way you people complain there'd be no characters and the comic would be filled with white blank pages.

You know, just because I dislike (or am disinterested in) a given character, doesn't mean I'm such an extremist fruitcake that I'd wish to see all the characters gone. Such strawmanning is completely unnecessary and I honestly wish you would stop doing that...

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah Knuckles isn't supposed to have friends. Guess somebody should tell this to the game makers prior to 1998 rolleyes.gif

Yes, we're just a bunch of butthurt fans who have nothing better to do with our time than to complain about fictional characters, and have no legit reason to do so at all. Seriously, get off of it, everytime somebody has the slightest complaint against this comic, all you do is bitch and bitch, I don't understand why it bothers you so much, god forbid we don't like something you happen to love. You act like all we do with our time is complain when I honestly only do so when the subject comes up, so quit playing Devil's Advocate making things seem worse than they actually are.

Just because we don't like some of the characters doesn't mean we want them gone, but that doesn't mean we're not allowed to voice our complaints. God, the defenders of this book are just as bad as the haters.

• Thumbs Up 1