Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I didn't necessarily mean THE Sally, Antoine, Bunny, Rotor, etc. from the show/comic. Maybe more like new versions of them made for the games who weren't Freedom Fighters from Mobius fighting Robotnik. Because you are right... it would probably be too confusing for those unfamiliar with the show/comic as to just who these characters are.

I don't care how much people hate Sally. That last issue was pretty damn epic. And Sally threw herself on a grenade for the entire planet.

• Thumbs Up 3

Slow week.

A person on deviantart has created a petition to have Sega take the Sonic licence away from Archie and give it to another comic book company.

The person's a SonAmy fan.

The person's trying to get 50,000 signatures(that's not going to happen).

And in response to this another person started a save Archie Sonic petition.

Pretty bad when stuff like this turns out to be the most exciting thing going on.

Well hopefully we'll have the covers of Sonic issue 234 and the cover of the first part of the next Sonic Universe arc to talk about next week instead of internet drama.

Edited by Darkfox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well I'm not worried about the petition, and I really doubt the person's going to get 50,000 signature's.

As for SonAmy, Ian has said that Sega will never let Sonic hook up with Amy. Even if another comic book company got the rights to Sonic I don't think that Sega would change their minds.

Sega have gradually been throwing around more hints of Sonic liking Amy occassionally in the games, but that's the closest its gotten.

Well, Sonic Chronicles does have the ability to get Sonic to say he'll officially start dating, although that hasn't stopped him from agreeing to dates in the past..

I believe he says he'll go on a date with Amy in Sonic Unleashed at one point if you talk to her later in the game, and in Sonic and the Black Knight he MISSES a date with her after he gets sucked into the alternate world...

In the comics he probably eventually would end up agreeing to date Amy at some point, but its not going to go any further than that, just like Sonic and Sally never develop further than dating (except in the non-canon XX Years Later stories which I love to strictly ignore at absolutely all costs).

Slow week.

A person on deviantart has created a petition to have Sega take the Sonic licence away from Archie and give it to another comic book company.

The person's a SonAmy fan.

The person's trying to get 50,000 signatures(that's not going to happen).

And in response to this another person started a save Archie Sonic petition.

Pretty bad when stuff like this turns out to be the most exciting thing going on.

Well hopefully we'll have the covers of Sonic issue 234 and the cover of the first part of the next Sonic Universe arc to talk about next week instead of internet drama.

As for SonAmy, Ian has said that Sega will never let Sonic hook up with Amy. Even if another comic book company got the rights to Sonic I don't think that Sega would change their minds.

I think, more to the point, Sega will never let Sonic hook up with anyone in the games. They've said as much in the past- The video game version of Sonic is always going to be a single dude.

When you view Archie Sonic as a different character (And he is), his relationship with Sally doesn't upset the status quo of the games at all. Similarly, Sonic X's Sonic finally telling Amy that he loves her is also non-canon to the games, but gives the Sonic/Amy fans what they want in an alternate continuity.

In short, the Sonic/Amy and Sonic/Sally fans should both be happy because different continuities provide them with what they want, while us "Sonic should stay single" people can enjoy the fact that the games won't change on that front. Everybody's already winning! So it's silly for people to fight about it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think, more to the point, Sega will never let Sonic hook up with anyone in the games. They've said as much in the past- The video game version of Sonic is always going to be a single dude.

When you view Archie Sonic as a different character (And he is), his relationship with Sally doesn't upset the status quo of the games at all. Similarly, Sonic X's Sonic finally telling Amy that he loves her is also non-canon to the games, but gives the Sonic/Amy fans what they want in an alternate continuity.

In short, the Sonic/Amy and Sonic/Sally fans should both be happy because different continuities provide them with what they want, while us "Sonic should stay single" people can enjoy the fact that the games won't change on that front. Everybody's already winning! So it's silly for people to fight about it.

Too bad most people don't think that way; almost everyone wants the comic to drop everything and just be like the games, why? they have some delusion that the comic is supposed to follow the games to a tee or something.

Too bad most people don't think that way; almost everyone wants the comic to drop everything and just be like the games, why? they have some delusion that the comic is supposed to follow the games to a tee or something.

Well... At the same time, I admit I would like an official adaptation of Sonic that actually presents a nice, fairly accurate depiction of the classic pre-Adventure era. The OVA's the closest thing we've ever gotten to that, and it's still wildly different from the games (As much as I do love it). The Sonic Genesis arc, despite the presence of the Freedom Fighters and Snively, is the closest thing Archie's done to appeasing that desire- They even got Robotnik's classic design right! And I think that's fantastic.

I'm aware Archie's history is too complex to retcon away now, but the idea of a separate comic that actually faithfully adapts the game storyline is admittedly very appealing to me, especially if it has lush art comparable to what we saw in Genesis.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of feel bad for Ian.

The Satam fans don't like his work cause he has bought more "Sega Sonic" elements to the comic. And whenever something happens to Sally they say he hates Sally and is a SonAmy fan.

And the Sega Sonic fans hate his work on the comic because they expect him to make the characters like their game counterparts. And whenever something happens with Amy or Sally they say that Ian hates Amy and loves SonAlly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man I hope Sonic mellows out with the whole Sally is a Robot thing, he has been way to cocky and on top of the world lately.

Well... At the same time, I admit I would like an official adaptation of Sonic that actually presents a nice, fairly accurate depiction of the classic pre-Adventure era. The OVA's the closest thing we've ever gotten to that, and it's still wildly different from the games (As much as I do love it). The Sonic Genesis arc, despite the presence of the Freedom Fighters and Snively, is the closest thing Archie's done to appeasing that desire- They even got Robotnik's classic design right! And I think that's fantastic.

I'm aware Archie's history is too complex to retcon away now, but the idea of a separate comic that actually faithfully adapts the game storyline is admittedly very appealing to me, especially if it has lush art comparable to what we saw in Genesis.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind a separate comic to adapt the games, I just don't think completely rewriting the comic to fit to your own desires is fair,

The Satam fans don't like his work cause he has bought more "Sega Sonic" elements to the comic. And whenever something happens to Sally they say he hates Sally and is a SonAmy fan.

And the Sega Sonic fans hate his work on the comic because they expect him to make the characters like their game counterparts. And whenever something happens with Amy or Sally they say that Ian hates Amy and loves SonAlly.

Ehh, Sonic Fanbase, what'cha gonna do?

Man I hope Sonic mellows out with the whole Sally is a Robot thing, he has been way to cocky and on top of the world lately.

Dude, Cockiness is Sonic's thing, if Sonic wasn't acting like he's all that, he wouldn't be Sonic.

What I find interesting about the petition is that it makes no mention of who should take the license should Sega drop Archie like they want. It's basically "Have someone else do it other than Archie cause they can't possibly be any worse." Pffft. I'll bet you that if Marvel take the initiative, they would screw over Sonic's story with even worse decisions than what Archie's done, restart the series with Ultimate Sonic then screw that up by killing Sonic off.

It's a lot less cut and dry than that. "Sega fan" is not synonymous with "SonAmy fan."

I prefer Sega over Archie by a long shot, but I prefer Sonic to not have any romantic entanglements whatsoever. I just feel his character doesn't lend itself well to romance at all, and would prefer not to see his game counterpart go that route with anyone (Amy or otherwise), especially considering how sickeningly sugary he and Sally are in SatAM and Archie.

I like a good love story, but I just don't think Sonic's a stellar subject for one, regardless of who his significant other is.

EDIT: I want to clarify that I like Amy as a character, and I think she's hilarious. Just because I'm not a fan of a certain pairing doesn't mean I have to dislike either or both of the characters involved. Amy's a riot, and I think the games benefit from her presence, no doubt.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have to agree here. Sonic's not the type to get involved in a relationship. I guess within the comics he's a different character, but the Sonic that the games have represented is not fit for love triangles.

This is Sonic, not Twilight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah that's pretty much my main contention with Archie; I may have a few things I dislike about Sally, but it has nothing to do with her being paired with Sonic, its just that Sonic never seemed like the type to get into a relationship with anyone, no matter how close they were or whatever, it just doesn't fit him as a character that loves Adventure so much, its like if Batman dedicated most of his time trying to woo Catwoman.

I perfectly understand that Archie!Sonic is essentially a different character, but as someone's who's been with the series and played most of the games, its just weird seeing Sonic making out with someone.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Satam fans don't like his work cause he has bought more "Sega Sonic" elements to the comic.

Do a lot of people dislike the fact that Flynn replaced Penders? I've not been following the community for a few years, but I thought the way Ian has been handling things would be greatly appreciated by fans, and I love it.

Just imagine what would have happened if they let Penders continue the Evil Sonic Love saga.

Pah, that moron posted that petition on my Deviant art page of all the pages to do so. Course I immediately blocked him.

Fool is a moron among morons.

JACKPOT! Just got both SU #34 AND StH #231 in the mail! Stay tuned for my usual summary on #34 in the actual thread and I'll be accepting PM requests for #231 spoilers as usual! :)

• Thumbs Up 6

JACKPOT! Just got both SU #34 AND StH #231 in the mail! Stay tuned for my usual summary on #34 in the actual thread and I'll be accepting PM requests for #231 spoilers as usual! smile.png

I got it too, but sticking to my word of not opening till this whole thing is settled to the point both sides will be okay with

Sonic has always struck me as more of a "hit it and quit it" kind of guy. I don't mind seeing him hit on chicks, and in fact encourage it every now and then, as it could add a bit of depth to his character and provide for some amusing exchanges. However, steady relationships are a no go for me. Sonic's too speed oriented for that I'd say.

However that's just Sonic. There's a dozen other characters you can pull the relationship card with. I rather like Antoine and Bunnie's marriage as of late, and Knuckles is a guy that could REALLY benefit from time with another lady. I'm surprised a Knux/Julie-Su/Rouge triangle hasn't really been played up. I think it may have gotten a panel or two and then it just died.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic has always struck me as more of a "hit it and quit it" kind of guy. I don't mind seeing him hit on chicks, and in fact encourage it every now and then, as it could add a bit of depth to his character and provide for some amusing exchanges. However, steady relationships are a no go for me. Sonic's too speed oriented for that I'd say.

However that's just Sonic. There's a dozen other characters you can pull the relationship card with. I rather like Antoine and Bunnie's marriage as of late, and Knuckles is a guy that could REALLY benefit from time with another lady. I'm surprised a Knux/Julie-Su/Rouge triangle hasn't really been played up. I think it may have gotten a panel or two and then it just died.

Exactly. If they wanted to play up romance in this comic, then yes, Sonic as a "hit it and quit it" kind of guy kind of fits, though it would make Sonic out to be a jerk in some fans eyes.