Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

To be honest, Sonic's a horndog in most of his appearances. Even in the games this is apparent when appropriate.

Eh?

When has the game version of Sonic ever expressed that sort of attraction to anyone? I could be forgetting something, I suppose, but I'm pretty sure for Sega Sonic that's never been as "apparent" as you say.

Eh?

When has the game version of Sonic ever expressed that sort of attraction to anyone? I could be forgetting something, I suppose, but I'm pretty sure for Sega Sonic that's never been as "apparent" as you say.

Well, it is toned down quite a bit for the young audience surrounding the games, but the hints of his common girl chasing persona's are even visible in the games.

Most of the time, Rouge is the one who brings this out. In Battle, there is quite a bit of banter on dating (which Sonic actually initiates), then there's the lampshade the un-canon Chronicles drops between the two. She even has a pet name for him now. "Big Blue" implies some things. Furthermore, you can step back on the entire series and look over at Madonna, whom was created as a love interest for Sonic right from the get-go. To say nothing of Tiara further down the line.

Sonic has and always been a ladies hog. Relationships might be a stretch, but Sonic is very sociable with the ladies..... save for Amy apparently.

And thats even before you start down the innuendo rabbit hole. *cough*SonicRush*cough*

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Well, it is toned down quite a bit for the young audience surrounding the games, but the hints of his common girl chasing persona's are even visible in the games.

Most of the time, Rouge is the one who brings this out. In Battle, there is quite a bit of banter on dating (which Sonic actually initiates), then there's the lampshade the un-canon Chronicles drops between the two. She even has a pet name for him now. "Big Blue" implies some things. Furthermore, you can step back on the entire series and look over at Madonna, whom was created as a love interest for Sonic right from the get-go. To say nothing of Tiara further down the line.

Sonic has and always been a ladies hog. Relationships might be a stretch, but Sonic is very sociable with the ladies..... save for Amy apparently.

And thats even before you start down the innuendo rabbit hole. *cough*SonicRush*cough*

The only girls Sonic talks to are Amy, Blaze, and Rouge and I don't really notice any flirting with Blaze or Rouge.

The only girls Sonic talks to are Amy, Blaze, and Rouge and I don't really notice any flirting with Blaze or Rouge.

Amy is off limits to Sonic for the sake of the running gag. Even so, there is still a few moments there in the games.

I would qualify what Rouge does as flirting, especially considering that Sonic plays the game right back.

(have you played Battle?)

Blaze is a toss up considering which side of the innuendo train your currently riding. (seriously listen to her theme song.... jeez).

So either way, of the eligible women Sonic hangs around, Sonic either hits on or passively flirts with either 100% or 66% of them..... whats the hordog threshold?

Edited by Sega DogTagz

It's a lot less cut and dry than that. "Sega fan" is not synonymous with "SonAmy fan."

True but character shipping does play a role in the reason why some fans hate Archie Sonic.

Sorry if I made it sound like Sega fans are synonymous with SonAmy fans.

Dude, Cockiness is Sonic's thing, if Sonic wasn't acting like he's all that, he wouldn't be Sonic.

But he shouldn't be immue to having set backs and being unable to screw up.

Actually, Sonic thing is speed. Not cockiness.

Him being only centered in being cocky would imply he is simply the best at everything and has no flaws what so ever.

Edited by Chaos Nightmare Moon

Honestly, I like the way Sonic + romance is handled in SatAM. It's obvious he has an attraction to Sally, but that doesn't stop him from going off and doing his own thing (like heading out to the Great Unknown) or tackling solo missions. It probably helps that SatAM Sally doesn't have strong ties to royalty due to Robotnik being in charge. But even if they did restore peace to Mobius, I can't see that version of Sal sitting down and being queen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy is off limits to Sonic for the sake of the running gag. Even so, there is still a few moments there in the games.

Such as, Sonic's usual reaction to Amy to turn the other way and run..

I would qualify what Rouge does as flirting, especially considering that Sonic plays the game right back.

(have you played Battle?)

Eh.

Blaze is a toss up considering which side of the innuendo train your currently riding. (seriously listen to her theme song.... jeez).
If its not intentional, it doesn't count.

So either way, of the eligible women Sonic hangs around, Sonic either hits on or passively flirts with either 100% or 66% of them..... whats the hordog threshold?

Most of the examples you listed are ambiguous at best(Aside from the Rouge one), so you really can't say Sonic is a horndog based on that. Unless he's actively flirting with anything in a skirt, yeah, he's no Lady Killer, as far as the games are concerned.

But he shouldn't be immue to having set backs and being unable to screw up.

Actually, Sonic thing is speed. Not cockiness.

Him being only centered in being cocky would imply he is simply the best at everything and has no flaws what so ever.

Dude, in the Alternate Universe of 25 Years later, he was a Hobo, who cried at the loss of his children. Sonic has setbacks, but you just want him to stop being Sonic and be this angsty hero.

Being Sonic doesn't justify he is in denial that he's not perfect or the coolest thing that ever lived.

When you've done the things he's done, you have every right to brag.

Dude, quit trying to change Sonic.

Such as, Sonic's usual reaction to Amy to turn the other way and run..

Like I said, There is a special condition attached to his reactions to Amy. A good example of that would be the Lady of the Lake. While Sonic usually has a self-imposed restraining order on Amy, he was more than comfortable throwing an arm around that spirits shoulders. Remove the story driven taboo, and all of a sudden he starts to look more comfortable around a girl he usually runs from.

If its not intentional, it doesn't count.

I disagree. When put into context with Sonic's behavior with other people, the innuendo makes sense. Problem with innuendo is that you never now if its intentional or not.

If a character well known for being a lady killer so much as looks at a woman with any questionable intent, then making the jump toward flirting is an appropriate, if not inevitable conclusion. I usually don't like jumping continuities, but Sally's initial reaction to Sonic's relationship with Mina is a perfect example of this. Before she even saw them kiss, she put two and two together just because she knew how Sonic was and they were spending time together.

Jumping back to the games verse, the gamer is put into a similar situation as Sally was. Here we have Sonic, whom has notably hit on Rouge and barring taboo, Amy; and has constantly been mulled as relationship material by his creators. Thanks to all that, the innuendo between Sonic and Blaze actually carries a bit of weight. Its a logical outcome considering how Sonic deals with the other women in his life.

Most of the examples you listed are ambiguous at best(Aside from the Rouge one), so you really can't say Sonic is a horndog based on that. Unless he's actively flirting with anything in a skirt, yeah, he's no Lady Killer, as far as the games are concerned.

The innuendo is intentionally ambiguous, by design.So I'll give you that. But the rest is right there. The idea of giving Sonic a girlfriend has cropped up several times by several different people - one of which actually made to through to the final result (Madonna/Tiara/Elise). Sonic's not shy about sending jabs back at Rouge and despite the taboo, Sonic has gotten chummy with both Amy and her doppelganger.

It doesn't manifest itself in a blatant way as the comics or cartoons because the game audience is sheltered from that, but clearly female companionship is as much part of Sonic as his fast feet. It's been around in the games longer than the Spindash. It was part of his cool persona. There's no denying that.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

There is a spoiler for #231 up on Bumbleking already, this issue has some major events go down it seems.

Major spoilers follow.

Eggman releases Titan Metal Sonic on New Mobo along with a small Tails Doll who Cream is toting around.

Bunnie is partially crystallized during the fight by a reckless strike from Naugus, ala King Max in old old issues.

Naugus saves the day and is appreciated by the people.

Death Egg escapes with Sally and it turns out the city is no longer Nanites (I think).

Don't thank me I'm just the messenger, Merricks posted the original summary.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do a lot of people dislike the fact that Flynn replaced Penders?

Some fans are upset that Penders was replaced, but Penders has lost alot of support after all this copyright crap that he's been pulling.

Nowadays most of Penders fans hang out on the Power Ring forum.

As far as the whole "Sonic is a horndog even in the games" thing goes... eh, I don't think so. Yes, Sonic's an easy-going laid back guy, and he's pretty smooth around most females. Perhaps you could even say that he's got a mildly flirtatious manner in his overt friendliness and the difference in demeanour when he's talking to a girl rather than a guy friend. But I don't think being naturally that way with girls means he's in any way romantically inclined or that he has any 'hit it and quit it' ideas in the games. I think he's just a friendly and warm character in general.

I know people like this. In fact, I have a gay friend who is always chatting up the ladies. Never enough to lead them on, but enough to make them laugh and feel comfortable in his presence. He's not deliberately flirting with them at all, he's just that kind of a guy. Not that I'm implying that Sonic is gay... ha. Just that you don't have to be a randy so-and-so in order to have a friendly and even mildly flirtatious manner around the opposite gender.

Sonic's just a cool laid-back guy who isn't afraid to be friendly towards girls. The fact that he doesn't show this potentially-perceived-flirtatiousness towards Amy, the one girl who WOULD take it seriously, makes it pretty clear to me that he doesn't want anyone to think he's hitting on them with any serious intent, and he won't do it if he thinks they'll take it that way.

But I guess that's all kind of irrelevant in the Archie topic. Nevertheless, Sonic is still Sonic, even in Archie. Most of the stuff that had people peg him as a 'Player' wasn't even him, it was pre-Scourge evil Sonic. Sonic himself has done some stupid things romantically (coughFionacough), and he's certainly not a-sexual the way he seems to be in the games. But mostly it's pretty much been him and Sally, and while I'm not a SonSal supporter at all, I can appreciate that Sonic's been a pretty loyal guy for most of the comic.I'd even go as far as to say that Sally's character was far more twisted by the relationship than his was in the comics (who can forget the way she slapped him in front of everyone for such selfish reasons).

As far as romance goes in the comics, I could go without it. I'd prefer it to be more like the games in that regard. I think Sonic and Sally could very easily settle into a dynamic of being just-good-friends who happen to have a romantic history that didn't work out in the end. But I doubt their romantic relationship will ever be dropped completely; it's kind of a staple to the comic, for better or worse. As long as it doesn't dominate everything with wangst again, I can deal with it.

It seems like most versions of Sonic are too concerned with finding adventure and a good place to relax rather than having romance tying him down. This doesn't mean he's afraid of commitment or is some kind of massive player, it just means his first love is those things. I think this is connected somehow to the colder, inconsiderate Sonic people sometimes talk about. If you are faster than your friends, people will feel left behind. This is one of the reasons Sally works in the comic (just an observation, cool it people), because she's on Sonic's level as far as their struggle goes. An aimless Sonic becomes bored like King Sonic in 25YL. Like Sonic at the beginning of Chronicles. And like Sonic in many episodes of Sonic X (bored as the viewers apparently). Archie's tried to play it like some kind of "war is all I know" Solid Snake melodrama in the past, but I prefer to think of it as an unfortunate case of restless leg syndrome. But you know what, I think most comics out there have ongoing romance plots. Archie would feel empty without one too. And is the reason we never see romance in the games because Sonic doesn't need it, or because it's not worth making space for in an already crowded story? Despite that we still see Sonic building relationships in the games (Blaze, Shahra, Elise) and entertain the idea of Amy at least. Finding new directions for a story that never ends is much harder to do I think, and we need some kind of ship fodder. At least to the point of resolving what's already been laid down, or maybe adding layers if you think it's shallow. I don't want some neutered Sonic who isn't allowed to talk to characters a certain way. They already say he isn't allowed to really cry in the comics as the main character.

Edited by Dabnikz

When you've done the things he's done, you have every right to brag.

Dude, quit trying to change Sonic.

Sonic's the main character of course he accomplishes more, but bragging rights come few for him since he's not the one who is the child of destiny(Tails) or destined to be the Avatar of Chaos(Knuckles) nor is he the greatest fighter(Shadow) in his own series.

Sonic acts like he's always never going to fail or get humbled by anyone or get people killed or be killed, I understand if thats stubborness, but it's flat out delusional if not denial.

This Sally thing if I'm right is going to warp his perception on his own ideal of saving everyone which I would except since Sonic's never developed a shread of humility concerning his best friends life.

I figured with 231 already out subscription wise, that I would offer my opinions on what's going on.

Now staying true to my word I have not yet opened 231 or 230, for you see I like some others are in the middle of this whole situation. We want to see how it plays out, now not to say that there isn't anyone out there that likes what's happening in the comic book right now because there is many that don't like what's happening and on the other side there are those that do.

From the summary that I read courtesy of another member of the Sonic Stadium message board I've pretty much in my opinion figured out what could be happening. For you see what is happening from what I can tell by reading this summary is the direction of the story right now is going in a direction that will put more focus on the game characters themselves. Now upon reading that some will like hearing what they have heard and read while others will not, but you see I look at it this way in the head writer's mind he probably figured that the only way he could get away with the story that he did recently with 225, Genesis, and now 230 and 231 is if leading into the 250th anniversary issue that he put more of the spotlight on an equal basis on the game characters.

Now by saying that some of you that are fans of the games will probably be rejoicing while others will probably be pissed off and either way you look at it I guess as Paul K mentioned in an interview recently, he said both sides would be satisfied. If I was Paul I wonder If I would have gone that far to say that as we see many that will be happy and many that won't be, but when you look back at other anniversary issues you may see why.

What I'm saying in my humble opinion is the 75th issue was freedom fighters only, the 100th issue was a sidetrack, the 125th issue was freedom fighters and everyone else fighting to save the planet with Sonic sacrificing himself in the eyes of the other characters to save the planet, then we have 150 which was another sidetrack, but then we get to the 175th issue and at the end of it who is standing in the wreckage that was Knothole, well none other than the game characters exception being Nicole and who saved everyone in the following issue with the exception of Nicole the game characters of course, but then we get to the 200th anniversary issue as the freedom fighters and company defeating Eggman and driving him into insanity, and then recently we get the 225th issue and it focuses on the freedom fighters and company trying to defeat the Death Egg Mark 2, so it only makes sense that leading into the 250th anniversary issue that the focus and spotlight in the eyes of the head writer fall onto the game characters, if you don't believe me read or ask Chaoscontrol14 for a summary/review of 231 and you'll see what I mean.

I know many won't like hearing this or reading it but that's the way I see it. Now the question is will it be a success or will it be a failure? One never knows and this is why fans like me who are in the middle are just go to sit back and let it play out and for myself not open any issues till the time comes where everything will be settled and made satisfactory in the eyes of all the fans as the editor in chief Paul K said in his interview earlier this year.

For those that believe that this story arc will not last another 8 to 9 issues you have to admit that may be true and it may not be true. For you see Fans thought the same for the ID Story Arc, and that lasted a year and 1 month. Plus the only way that this current story arc in the continuity of the comic could come to an end is three ways : 1. If fans overwhelmingly tell Sega the Corporation overall not Japan or America but the overall Corporation as a whole that they are dissatisfied with the current direction of the comic then that may be one way it comes to an end. 2. Another way is called sales and profits, seeing how many have stated that the Sonic comic book is Archie's bestseller , that there is no way this story arc will end or their head writer will be let go. However if profits drop and seeing how Sega and Archie both get a piece of the pie and they don't get the pieces they expect especially Sega then that may be another way the head writer and the story arc come to an end. 3. And last but not least the only other way this could all end is if not the story arc but if the head writer is let go or asked to move on to another comic book and never write for the Sonic comic book again due to the dissatisfaction of the fans. And that in those three ways, are the only ways things could change, story arcs could end and head writer's could be removed. Those would be the only ways.

Thank you for reading and have a good Saturday.

Edited by bwrosas

It's in his character to be a cocky braggart. Leave him alone. He's achieved a lot, and he's definitely shown humility in situations where he realised there was nothing he could do in a situation either physically or ethically. Think about how he acted when Eggman completely broke down - he showed compassion and guilt rather than lording it over him like you'd think a so-accused irredeemably arrogant character would.

Sonic has pulled through numerous situations with his never-say-die attitude. Let's put it this way - Han Solo's "Don't ever tell me the odds" attitude before pulling the Millennium Falcon through that asteroid gap made for one of the greatest escapes of all time. Solo's arrogance has landed him in trouble before and he takes incredibly stupid risks, but that's just who he is. I'm sorry that you don't care for Sonic's character, but for fuck's sake just leave the poor guy alone. There's more than enough reasons to question his behaviour in the comics due to lousy/wtf writing, but him as a cocky daredevil with nearly unshakable optimism is just who he is, whichever freaking canon you look at. And he is fine that way.

Han Solo was jealous of Luke just because he didn't know him and Leia were related spending the time bitching and chewing out Chewbacca and C-3po, how is that a comparison? Han is cocky cuz his life sucks and makes risks based on that suckiness.

Sonic is a children based hero who will never grow into realistic situations. And because of that, he's never been written to handle the possibilty of experiencing life changing situations causes him to mature into sensible hero with faults and no unrealistic expectations.

It was Scourge that said, that all it takes is one moment to change who you were. Sonic hasn't simply reached that point in his life, nor he ever will.

Enjoy your fantasy.

There is a spoiler for #231 up on Bumbleking already, this issue has some major events go down it seems.

Major spoilers follow.

Eggman releases Titan Metal Sonic on New Mobo along with a small Tails Doll who Cream is toting around.

Bunnie is partially crystallized during the fight by a reckless strike from Naugus, ala King Max in old old issues.

Naugus saves the day and is appreciated by the people.

Death Egg escapes with Sally and it turns out the city is no longer Nanites (I think).

Don't thank me I'm just the messenger, Merricks posted the original summary.

Does the Tails Doll have any story relevance at the moment, or is it just a forshadowing of what's ahead (thus given Cream (and possibly Vanilla) an actual reason to appear)

Does Ian have some kind of vendetta against Bunny, she's been hit with practically everything for a while now

The last two seemed to be pretty much given from the looks of later covers

Also, noting how Ian loves to add in certain characters from the series, will he ever add in one of the two gizoids we know and love from Battle and Advance 3 respectively?

Does the Tails Doll have any story relevance at the moment, or is it just a forshadowing of what's ahead (thus given Cream (and possibly Vanilla) an actual reason to appear)

Does Ian have some kind of vendetta against Bunny, she's been hit with practically everything for a while now

The last two seemed to be pretty much given from the looks of later covers

Also, noting how Ian loves to add in certain characters from the series, will he ever add in one of the two gizoids we know and love from Battle and Advance 3 respectively?

He's part of Eggy's plan to distract the Mobians so he can regroup. His codename is "Project: Deadly Cuddles."

Edited by chaoscontrol14

He's part of Eggy's plan to distract the Mobians so he can regroup. His codename is "Project: Deadly Cuddles."

I need to see this. :D

Han Solo was jealous of Luke just because he didn't know him and Leia were related spending the time bitching and chewing out Chewbacca and C-3po, how is that a comparison? Han is cocky cuz his life sucks and makes risks based on that suckiness.

Sonic is a children based hero who will never grow into realistic situations. And because of that, he's never been written to handle the possibilty of experiencing life changing situations causes him to mature into sensible hero with faults and no unrealistic expectations.

It was Scourge that said, that all it takes is one moment to change who you were. Sonic hasn't simply reached that point in his life, nor he ever will.

Enjoy your fantasy.

Why are you bringing Star Wars into this topic. :/

Exactly, he's a children based hero who won't grow into realistic situations because he's NOT real. And it sounds like you're asking Sonic to change into Shadow, since that sounds alot like him. :|

So then say I have one bad day, will I suddenly turn into a killer because of it? Sonic's had alot of bad days before, and considering what's happened recently that should top it all off, so is he gonna be like Scourge?

No, enjoy your fantasy over Shadow becoming the main character of the series. :)

• Thumbs Up 2