Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Well, I can say this so far, that when you go to the DA site, that you will see in some of the Sally related groups there, that there is not much Mecha Sally art to be found, I mean some art is there, even before 230 was officially released, but not much.

Now I'm not saying there won't be anymore in the near future, because there will/might be, but from what I am seeing right now, the Mecha Sally Fan art will be overshadowed by the Original/SatAM/Yardly/Buter style Sally fan art.

Just throwing this out there for ya to think about.

Edited by bwrosas

Today I bought 230 and Sonic Super Special 1.

230 I was lucky enough to find the variant cover (never seen one in Forbidden Planet!) and the issue itself was incredible. Dr Eggman is still a class act and you do feel sad for Sally. Shinbe on Sonic comics, the best is just beginning.

Sonic Super Special is quite interesting. i got it mainly cause I didn't start collecting the comics till 189 and really wanted the Birthday Bash story. That is quite epic in itself but the timeline is really interesting. Starting with humanity being destroyed by the xorda it finishes with the ending of the forgotten wars, saying to stay tuned. The next one is Sonic Adventure so that has to be a good thing (more issues I don't have.)

Well, I can say this so far, that when you go to the DA site, that you will see in some of the Sally related groups there, that there is not much Mecha Sally art to be found, I mean some art is there, even before 230 was officially released, but not much.

Now I'm not saying there won't be anymore in the near future, because there will/might be, but from what I am seeing right now, the Mecha Sally Fan art will be overshadowed by the Original/SatAM/Yardly/Buter style Sally fan art.

Just throwing this out there for ya to think about.

Who honestly cares what's happening on Deviantart? Who honestly cares if Mecha Sally, who has been in just one issue, doesn't have much fan-art?

• Thumbs Up 5

Who honestly cares what's happening on Deviantart? Who honestly cares if Mecha Sally, who has been in just one issue, doesn't have much fan-art?

The fan art will grow once people have "time" to draw the character / read the issues when they come out.

My first Archie comic was the SA2 adaptation so I was really hurt by the following soap opera that occured, though with that said I've just started buying issues on the ipad app and my god, the universe comics are so much fun! My favourite being Silver, even for the sheer fact that it had Other-M references!

Also The Genesis Arc, while I did find it, rather dull for a special event, the art was just gorgeous! Spaz and Yardley working together is a beautiful sight! Also props to Ben Bates, it's actually his issues that got me back into archie, when I saw sonic vs Bunny my mind was blown at how well it was drawn!

Also Mecha Sally is just beautiful.

The fan art will grow once people have "time" to draw the character / read the issues when they come out.

Pretty much that's how it works.

I know I was the first person to do Mecha Sally pic, As I started my pic the very day Illustrious Q uploaded the reveal shot from NYCC on Bumbleking.

(Boy, she's alot more of a pain to draw then any sonic robot doppelganger.)

Pretty much that's how it works.

I know I was the first person to do Mecha Sally pic, As I started my pic the very day Illustrious Q uploaded the reveal shot from NYCC on Bumbleking.

(Boy, she's alot more of a pain to draw then any sonic robot doppelganger.)

Huh, is that so? I'd have assumed the opposite to be true. There seems to be a heck of a lot more segments and moving parts in Mecha Sonic's design as opposed to Mecha Sally's design

I’d assume the reason for that would be because mecha Sonic’s overall design is based off of more pronounced, simpler shapes--triangles and circles. Making it more “recognizable” and easier to break down and calculate.

Sally doesn’t exactly have a lot of features that can be simplified into basic robotic shapes other than that hair due, so I don’t blame the designer for that.

As a reader and collector of the comics from issue 0 through to 110, it's weird returning to the series (at least until my 12 issue subscription ends). Issue 230 got me back into reading the regular storyline for the first time in 120 issues, and I gotta say, despite the improvement in art and writing compared to the early 100's, it's sorta lame to be seeing stuff like Ixis, Sally and Nicole STILL being a strong force in the comics. Like, to me, that stuff is best left to the 90's when the cartoons were a basis for the comics. I know the comics have since made elements of SatAM their own, but it's sort of like if you returned to your hometown after ten years and the kid who worked at the grocery store is STILL working at the grocery store. It's just odd to me.

Personally, I'd love it if Universe was instead a SEGA game universe series (much like how Sonic X was the Sonic X universe series). There is just so much from the games that I think would work very well in the comics, without all the Robotnik, Snivley, mushroom acorn kingdom, multi-verse stuff involved. Ah well, Genesis was a fun arc and I'm happy the Sonic comic is still running. Just wish it was more my sort of thing.

I don't think Universe is going to end in 12 more arcs. I think that's just what they've planned out in advance. They likely wrote a rough draft of what was going to happen for a while so they had a timeline of events to work with. If it doesn't prove to sell well, it probably will end.

If it continues to sell, though, they'll keep 'em coming, and I can see it selling because it focuses on other aspects of the Sonic Universe other than the main cast, but at the same time, it doesn't focus on one set group as past arcs have done (such as the Sonic X and Knuckles comics in the past).

Sonic Universe gives them more room to work with, and keeps the fans happy by showing off what other characters are doing.

As far as another Shadow arc goes... it would be awesome to see one that takes place on the arc 50 years ago. If they keep it up, it could quite likely happen eventually. I'm sure that as the series progresses certain characters will get arcs again. (Granted, he did appear in Treasure Team Tango, but that was basically a matchup of various teams Sonic Heroes-esque, with Blaze replacing Big and Team Hooligan and Team Babylon replacing Team's Chaotix and Sonic, respectively).

I'd also love to see Chaotix starting up a detective agency, maybe as a side thing in a Sonic Universe comic, akin to the games. Unless they've already done so, but I don't think they have.

Still waiting for #230 to come in the mail, worried it's going to get lost like many of my Sonic Universe issues. I'm on the fence about whether to renew my subscription or not, not cause of my overall satisfaction of the series, but because USPS apparently can't be trusted to deliver my mail. I'd like to blame Archie but I know ultimately its on the postal service not seperating their mail correctly.

I think moving to digital might be a good move for me but Archie takes its sweet time getting the newest issues on theie app store. I've also built up such a collection of actual printed issues that I want to keep going.

Anyway getting back on topic, I'd like to see Universe stay on for the long haul. It's already outlived Knuckles' series and Ian's created some really unique and fun stories for the series. I really like the 4 part structure too. Again though I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with it.

I REALLY want Universe to continue, its a nice way to break off from the main storylines and enjoy the escapades of other characters (who by and large, can be more interesting).

I still think that everyone's making too big a deal out of that ad.

Sonic Universe isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It's already outlived Knuckles' series
Yep and it's going to out last the Sonic X comic as well.

I REALLY want Universe to continue, its a nice way to break off from the main storylines and enjoy the escapades of other characters (who by and large, can be more interesting).

Its making money now, I doubt they will take it away anytime soon. Im not afraid : D

I'd love it if Universe was instead a SEGA game universe series (much like how Sonic X was the Sonic X universe series).

Wouldn't we know where any arc was going then, if they were based on the games?

Or it would be like an American version of Sonic mangas.

The game plots interest me, but if the Mega Man comic is something to go by, wouldn't it be kinda... too simple?

Ian Flynn already simplifies some things to the point of my frustration.

Edited by Dabnikz

Just a heads up

http://www.4kids.tv/...view/soniccomic

BE IN A SANIC COMIC

.....this is going to spawn the next Chris-Chan, isn't it?

God damn you, i wanted to post that! How did you find out about it?

I noticed the tv ad while watching butchered DBZKAI episodes. Isn't it alittle odd there using SX to promote the comic? 2 separate universes and whatnot. But i guess its the only modern sonic cartoon/anime they have to work with.

I doubt this stupid contest will have any significant impact on the comic. if anything it will be like the codename kids next door "be in a episode" contest a few years ago. just make a quick appearance in the back round and nothing more.

But it does bring something up. usually humans aren't seen in the comic unless GUN is involved. which means GUN is going to be making an appearance soon by the looks of it.

and since i know nobody reads contest rules I'll just post this:

ELIGIBILITY: Sweepstakes is open to legal U.S. residents of the fifty (50) United States and

Washington DC, 3-17 years of age at the start of this Sweepstakes, who have Internet access prior to the

first date of the Sweepstakes. Void outside the United States, in Canada, Puerto Rico and all other U.S.

territories, U.S. military installations in foreign countries and possessions and where prohibited or restricted

by law. The following individuals are not eligible to participate or win a prize in this Sweepstakes: (a)

Employees and their spouses, parents, children, siblings, grandparents and respective spouses

(collectively referred to as their “Immediate Families”) or members of their households of 4Kids

Entertainment, Inc. (“Sponsor”), its agents, including advertising and promotional agencies, participating

television stations or their affiliates, parent, subsidiary or related companies; (Individuals, including

employees and their immediate families or members of their households, involved in the production or

promotion of any programming produced by or affiliated with 4Kids Entertainment, Inc., including programs

appearing within The CW4Kids program block; © employees and their immediate families or members of

their households of The CW Network, LLC, and their respective agents, including advertising and

promotional agencies, or their broadcast affiliates and member, parent, subsidiary or related companies;

and (d) employees and their immediate families or members of their households of SEGA of America, Inc.

and Archie Comic Publications, Inc., their respective agents, including advertising and promotional

agencies, or their affiliates, parent, subsidiary or related companies.

The individuals and/or entities referred to in subparagraphs (-(d) shall collectively be referred to as the

“Sweepstakes Parties”. The Sweepstakes is governed by U.S. law and is subject to all applicable federal,

state and local laws and regulations. By entering the Sweepstakes, entrant and his/her parent/ legal

guardian agree to accept and be bound by all of the terms of these Official Rules and Regulations.

Don't get any bright ideas about entering if your above 17. all you other kids go nuts...

Edited by goku262002

I find the choice of panel to stick the "You" silhouette very amusing.

"Yeah, Sally, you go girl! Tell Sonic Antoine's not your boyfriend! Tell him like it is! Now kiss him! Kiss him you fool! Kiss him like there's no tomorrow!!!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking Back at the Sonic The Hedgehog in 2011

I know this is early but I have to say what a year it has been for the Sonic the hedgehog comic book.

I mean from the aspects of both the main comic and the universe spinoff, it has indeed been quite a year. From the story arcs that were provided to us in Sonic Universe to the very controversial story arc known as Genesis in the main comic, one can say that 2011 was the year of not only the overall 20th Anniversary of the Sonic franchise but as far as the comics published by Archie comics was indeed the most controversial, disappointing, surprising, and electrifying year in its near 20 year existence.

With Sonic Universe, we started out with the final part of the treasure team tango arc which then allowed us for the next four months after that to read what many have considered to be evidence that the head writer doesn't stay true to his word (in the eyes of some) because even though it was a 4 – part story arc featuring and starring Silver the hedgehog, it was also a soft adaption of the head writer's web – comic that he made while he was still a fan of the comic book, which he entitled Other – M, and even though this was a fairly decent story arc that was enjoyed by many fans. Some of those fans along with fans that didn't read the Silver arc were upset at the fact that the head writer had gone back on his word. The reason was because he had said he would not use any elements from his Other – M Web – comic and yet in this 4 – part arc he did just that.

Now after the Silver arc we got something new and different, a 4 – part Universe arc-based around original characters created for the comic and these characters were called the Suppression Squad and the main focus of this arc was for them to break their leader out of the Zone Penitentiary. This of course was done at the urging of their leader's girlfriend Fiona Fox. This was of course a success which many fans enjoyed due to the backstories of the Squad.

The final story arc in the 2011 run of the Universe comic is once again game based and this time stars the Babylon Rogues and so far by the cover previews and descriptions it seems that it will be another interesting four-part story arc.

With the main comic we dealt with a lot, we actually started the year out on a positive note in the eyes of many long-time fans when the head writer finally decided to put Sonic and Sally back together as a couple. This of course occurred in the February issue which was numbered 222 and again many fans, long-time fans enjoyed what they saw and read and felt that it was a relaxing break from the norm. Now many other fans didn't like what they saw and read, mostly they did not like the character of Amy Rose being portrayed as someone that loves Sonic enough, that not only does she still believe in her heart that she will be together with him in the future/someday, but if being with Sally makes him happy then that makes her happy and that's all that matters. As I mentioned before many fans enjoyed this while many other fans did not.

The other character that got some development even more so than before was Nicole. This development was based off her situation during the Iron Dominion arc that ran and dominated most of 2009 and into the early portions of 2010. The development was not only to make Nicole more than just an A.I., but to make her more real just like her friends to the point that in one issue she ran off crying due to the lyrics of one character's song that mostly seemed to target Nicole. But thanks to an unlikely friend she has learned or is learning to cope with the situation as well as try to find a way to win back the citizens trust.

The character that I mentioned above was another character that got some long overdue development and that character was Mina Mongoose. As I mentioned above she was the one that sang the songs and wrote the lyrics that basically demanded or protested that Nicole no longer be in control of their city. The reason for this was due to the fact that Mina was having, well let's put it this way, Vietnam/postwar traumatic nightmares of Nicole losing control once again just like she did briefly when she was under the control of the Iron Queen. Now her development, Mina's is that is, was not only this with the song that she wrote but also due to the fact that later on she found out that for most of the Iron Dominion's control of the city that Nicole was acting as a double agent and not only that but in the 222nd issue she sees that perhaps her doing what she did was perhaps not the best idea and I think she tries to make up for it later on.

Another character that got a push in 2011 was St. John. This surprise push revealed a few things, one that he was a ixis wizard/apprentice and that perhaps he wasn't as loyal to the kingdom as he seemed to be in the past. His betrayal if you will led to him restoring his master, Nagus back to sanity with a chaos emerald as well as trying to convince the people and Royal Council that his master was not only promised the kingdom's throne long ago but that his master was more suited to be king then the current king who happens to be Sally's brother. St. John's future will be revealed along with his reasoning behind his betrayal as well as the answer that all fans want about his wife Hershey will be answered in the next few months.

This of course overall lead us to the 225th anniversary issue of the comic which was a prologue/prelude to the four-part Genesis story arc which dominated most of the summer and many felt was a good summer arc while others didn't feel that same way and felt that it was overshadowed by wondering what would happen or would be happening to the Princess Sally character who apparently was shot to death off panel at the end of 225 and this of course led us into Genesis which when you look at it now it seems like a loose adaption of the recently released game "Sonic Generations". Now Genesis did have some nostalgic moments and gave us an idea of what it would be like or would have been like if Sonic and his friends met while they were still young teenagers and not as kids. Again though this was all overshadowed by fans who like and don't like the Sally character and wondering what her fate would be.

This of course leads us into the issue that was released just last month. Even though at first many fans speculated as to what her fate would be from the cover preview of 231 with the shadowy silhouette on the cover with the ?, and then having that same ? being shown on the cover of 232, most fans pretty much knew what her fate would be. This was further proved correct when Big Wayne's Comics accidentally, if you want to look at it that way, revealed the official official cover of 232 which showed and revealed a robot Sally that was hidden if you will behind that ?, which many fans were not happy about and many fans were happy about.

Now the head writer said at the New York Comic Con that Sally would be like this going forward. However many fans like myself feel that this is not true and even though I'm a fan that's stuck in the middle and has sworn not to read or review any of the current issues to come including 230 due to the fact that I want to see where they go with this and also because as I have mentioned before many times on these forms and on YouTube, going forward just means for the time being and not forever, in other words it's just for the upcoming story arc that will lead us into the 250th anniversary issue which I have stated could be, not saying it will be, but could be the final issue of the overall main comic.

Now the reason I say that 250 could be the last issue is because it's so ironic that all of this within the comics continuity is occurring as we speak. Also with the news that the head writer will be writing more not just for the Universe spinoff but also for the Mega-Man comic as well as for the revival of The Mighty Crusaders comic, this just gives me a feeling that either the Comic will come to end or the head writer will be replaced by a new head writer.

To say 2011 hasn't been a controversial, and electrifying year for the Sonic the hedgehog comic book would be an understatement. Because many fans had moments they loved and moments that they hated and whether they're divided or together fans overall have seen many many controversial moments that they have felt were either necessary or unnecessary.

One thing is for certain though, the head writer in the eyes of some if not many still continues to do a great job while in the eyes of many others he has literally stepped in it to the point that it will take multiple among multiple if not millions and billions of cleanings to get the you know what off his shoes clothes.

All we can do now as fans overall is just wait and see would 2012 has to offer.

Edited by bwrosas

Now Genesis did have some nostalgic moments and gave us an idea of what it would be like or would have been like if Sonic and his friends met while they would steal young teenagers

...the Freedom Fighters stole young teenagers?

I know you didn't type that on purpose dude, and that you meant "still be young teenagers" but it's still an oddly amusing little coincidence for me. XD

I really have almost no idea how next year will go. Obviously there's going be more stuff with related to the whole Naugus/Geoff/Hershey mystery, and Sally being a robot/villain, but other than that, the Babylon Rogues arc, and Knuckles reappearing, nothing seems clear at present.

Edited by Blazey Psychounicorn

but other than that, the Babylon Rogues arc, and Knuckles reappearing, nothing seems clear at present.

Can you ever project that far into the future? Half the fun of the comic series for me is that you can never really guess whats beyond the next few issues. (In fact, that's one of the best parts of the Universe arcs)

Can you ever project that far into the future? Half the fun of the comic series for me is that you can never really guess whats beyond the next few issues. (In fact, that's one of the best parts of the Universe arcs)

Makes sense. :) I guess this year probably just felt unusually predictable due to the Genesis arc, which adapted games I'm already very familiar with. Things seem to have returned to being more chaotic and unpredictable since then, though. ^_^

I signed up for it just for the hell of it, though I wonder if chris chan will spam the fuck out of this to make Sonicchu official

Also I wonder if this will just be a small cameo or will the person have some story relevance

I predict just this one panel thing where said artist working on the issue draws the likeness of the winning kid. Probably for some future story featuring the overlanders from Station Square or something.

Anyway finally got #230. Fantastic issue and art, only gripe being Metal Sonic seemed to have been shoved in at last minute. Very little on his part. More imporantly it gets me hyped for next issue. Now I just have to *groan* renew my subscription. God help me. And by help me I mean make sure USPS doesn't lose my stuff.