Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Well I just finished reading them, all of them, in the span of about a week. I enjoyed them, it was like traveling through tiiiiime. It was also odd to see as the artwork changes, I like the newer artwork better, and it actually having a story. One thing I noticed is how sonic is so willing to kill badnicks, who seem to truly be alive, and yet won't kill any other living being.

Oh wow; I'm still only barely past issue 50, though I've read all of the mini-series and regular specials, and half of the super specials. Thanks for reminding me to catch up.

I only just got my issue #199 because of public holidays here, then a shipping delay.

About #199 all I can really say is an emphatic "meh"

If this is supposed to be some big epic lead up I'm not feeling it? This has nothing on the lead up to #50, and I'm not just saying that because its a classic. This just feels..so...so bland I guess. No awesome fights, an easy entry to Eggmans base (yes I know its all planned like that) and no real feeling, I kow Sonic is all light-hearted and stuff, but if this is The battle to end all battles with Robotnik, or at least their best attempt at it, there should be emotion....this isn't the lame game version of Eggman here, this is a guy who's made their lives, hell, practically th whole of Mobius lives hell...the freedom fighters have grown up with this, this is what they've been fighting for, so it should feel like a final showdown, like #50 was. One way - they win, I assume Robotnik will be killed or punished, but on any terms - its over. The other way - they are killed/captured - still, its over. This is dramatic stuff...yet the characters are all joking and lets face it....its a handful of freedom fighter and the chaotix....against what should be a massive army of badniks and robots and the dark egg legion...yet it feels like a small skermish. If this is the fight to finally take out Robotnik I would think all the armies of Mobius would want in on this, GUN comes prominantly to mind (even if they helped with a tactical air strike to blast an entrance for the freedom fighters into the Eggdome, instead of the lame Bunnie/Mighty thing...at least it would show some co-operation and feeling that everyone wants this to end)

Anyway, the art felt lacking to me, I just couldn't have as much fun with the comic after seeing how great it could be drawn in the previous issue.

The two things I did like though; the colouring, it seems they have decided to use that spectrum of colours we have, and thats good. The pages have more colour and depth, and are just nicer to look at than the limited number of colours they used before. The second, the Egg-Spider thing at the end looks really cool!

As far as it goes the lead up to the big #200 hasn't really drawn me in...but I really hope that the lacking cover and feeling so far is made up for and we get Renae Deliz's art for the next issue!

sth202.500.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #202

"Dangerous Territory": Sonic and Monkey Khan storm the city of New Megaopolis to nip an evil invasion in the bud... but have our heroes bitten off more than they can chew? And will a shocking betrayal save them - or doom them?

"A Lonely Girl's Story": Learn the guarded secrets of the Eggman Empire's new empress in this intriguing tale!

SCRIPTS: Ian Flynn

ART: Steven Butler

Shipping Date: July 1st, 2009

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: July 8th, 2009

On Sale on Newsstands: August 21st, 2009

32-page, full color comic

$2.50 US

su6.500.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #6

THE LATEST CHAPTER IN THE EPIC "SONIC 30 YEARS LATER" SAGA!

"Dark Seige": In this second installment of "Mobius: 30 Years Later," the stakes are raised to pulse-pounding proportions! King Sonic has received dire news from Silver: something that will doom the future is right around the bend! Things go from bad to worse when Lien-Da and her Dark Presence invades the castle! Who will escape, and who will be the first to fall? All this, plus another surprise returning character revealed!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn

ART: Tracy Yardley

Shipping Date: July 15th, 2009

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: July 22nd, 2009

On Sale on Newsstands: August 4th, 2009

$2.50 US

sa11.500.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ARCHIVES #11

The Sonic Archives series has emerged as one of Archie's best-selling trade paperbacks, as fans both new and old can relive the glory days of Sonic the Hedgehog in these high-quality, digitally-restored graphic novels, complete with all the classic Sonic stories from the 1990's! Now with Sonic Archives Volume 11, Sonic lovers can add to their collections issues 41-44, stories which are almost impossible to come across now. And best of all, the colors are completely re-mastered to give the issues a brand-new look! Stories include: "... And One Shall Save Him" - Sally, Sonic and Geoffrey attempt to save King Acorn, but will they survive the Zone of Silence as past and future collide? "In Every Kingdom There Must Exist a Little Chaos" - the epic "Sword of Acorns" storyline begins here, as Knuckles searches for the fabled sword against staggering odds! "The Dream Zone" - the story that introduces the "Dream Watcher" device that will play a major role in the "Endgame" saga! "Black & Blue & Red All Over" - Evil Sonic is back... and it looks like Knuckles is helping him!

SCRIPT: Ken Penders, Kent Taylor

ART: Kyle Hunter, Art Mawhinney, Manny Galan, Patrick Spaziante, Harvey Mercadoocasio, Andrew Pepoy

Shipping Date: July 29th, 2009

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: August 5th, 2009

On Sale on Newsstands: August 18th, 2009

122-page, full color graphic novel

$7.49 US

These all look awesome. I can't tell from the preview, but am I the only one who thinks it reads as if Eggman doesn't actually lose his empire?

Also, I love how Tracy can draw any of the comic's original characters, and make them look like they could easily fit in the games! XD

This is the first time looking at Monkey Khan doesn't make me want to throw up!

Edited by Toby Barrett

Hmm... Interesting... Sounds like the new Sonic Universe "25 Years Later" saga actually CONTINUES the increasing plot build-up of something that is to happen which will change the future... intriguing... Still wondering what the heck is going on.

For Mobious '30' years later. Are they implying that Silver lives in their time or actually came back from his future to talk with King Sonic?

For Mobious '30' years later. Are they implying that Silver lives in their time or actually came back from his future to talk with King Sonic?

If Ian is following the game story then it wouldn't be possible for him to be living in the same time as Sonic since he's born 200 years into the future.

Issue 201:

Ok...no Mina but a story featuring Monkey Khan?

...KHAN?! Who asked for him to come back? Yeah some people may say we see her last issue (and oh how I seriously doubt Ian will make it at all worthwhile for me) but I figure she could be a regular character. I mean if people could complain about Sally being absent when she had essentially no function to the team and several personal reasons not to go that still remain unresolved a character with nowhere near as many obstacles in being reoccurring again could also find a place.

This is the first time looking at Monkey Khan doesn't make me want to throw up!

Why? The only thing we know about Khan is that he's working with Sonic on a mission. No serious changes indicative.

Sonic universe:

I don't really care to read. I bristle at the idea of Sonic being a king and with Sally of all people. I probably will stomach it though eventually but the premise doesn't sound very interesting.

Archives:

I LOVE the Archives cover though. It looks like a game poster! Only one thing bugs me and thats how Geoff's muzzle looks a little weird around the nose. Why does it look that way? Only thing is, I have those issues. o,o;

Y'know I think that the Archives really should've just focused on the stories outlined in issue 57. Would save a lot of time and get readers closer to the point.

Edited by Miko

I only just got my issue #199 because of public holidays here, then a shipping delay.

About #199 all I can really say is an emphatic "meh"

If this is supposed to be some big epic lead up I'm not feeling it? This has nothing on the lead up to #50, and I'm not just saying that because its a classic. This just feels..so...so bland I guess. No awesome fights, an easy entry to Eggmans base (yes I know its all planned like that) and no real feeling, I kow Sonic is all light-hearted and stuff, but if this is The battle to end all battles with Robotnik, or at least their best attempt at it, there should be emotion....this isn't the lame game version of Eggman here, this is a guy who's made their lives, hell, practically th whole of Mobius lives hell...the freedom fighters have grown up with this, this is what they've been fighting for, so it should feel like a final showdown, like #50 was. One way - they win, I assume Robotnik will be killed or punished, but on any terms - its over. The other way - they are killed/captured - still, its over. This is dramatic stuff...yet the characters are all joking and lets face it....its a handful of freedom fighter and the chaotix....against what should be a massive army of badniks and robots and the dark egg legion...yet it feels like a small skermish. If this is the fight to finally take out Robotnik I would think all the armies of Mobius would want in on this, GUN comes prominantly to mind (even if they helped with a tactical air strike to blast an entrance for the freedom fighters into the Eggdome, instead of the lame Bunnie/Mighty thing...at least it would show some co-operation and feeling that everyone wants this to end)

Anyway, the art felt lacking to me, I just couldn't have as much fun with the comic after seeing how great it could be drawn in the previous issue.

The two things I did like though; the colouring, it seems they have decided to use that spectrum of colours we have, and thats good. The pages have more colour and depth, and are just nicer to look at than the limited number of colours they used before. The second, the Egg-Spider thing at the end looks really cool!

As far as it goes the lead up to the big #200 hasn't really drawn me in...but I really hope that the lacking cover and feeling so far is made up for and we get Renae Deliz's art for the next issue!

Game Robotnik is ....lame? Really? All of that emotion and characterization makes him as interesting as a a cardboard thin cutout? You're biting off more than you can chew with that statement. Also Comic Robotnik cannot be killed off as Ian said so himself on SEGA's terms, and I am glad that he cannot as well. Now if he was to be killed off and he came back shortly thereafter like in the same issue or if he happened to be in a coma, I cannot say what their standards on that would be.

But I am glad that someone else found that issue as uninteresting as I did. Sure it had STH #50 nostalgia and stuff, but down to the bare bones, it is completely lacking for the most part. Perhaps I am more of a plot driven person. But they can kind of get away with this because they are saving the big guns for the next issue.

But I am glad that someone else found that issue as uninteresting as I did. Sure it had STH #50 nostalgia and stuff, but down to the bare bones, it is completely lacking for the most part. Perhaps I am more of a plot driven person. But they can kind of get away with this because they are saving the big guns for the next issue.

I don't really feel that's excusable.

Make everything totally dull just because you want 200 to be interesting. 50 was big because it changed the way the characters would interact with one another would never be the same. As a matter of fact considering what happened, the issues leading up to 50 left a much bigger "woah" factor in that regard compared to the end. Where they essentially did an "oops it didn't happen!"

Issue 201:

...KHAN?! Who asked for him to come back?

I've seen more people ask for Khan's return than I have a certain mongoose.

Why? The only thing we know about Khan is that he's working with Sonic on a mission. No serious changes indicative.

Because I like the way Tracy draws him, that's why. I really shouldn't have to explain that to you. =)

I've seen more people ask for Khan's return than I have a certain mongoose.

Where are you going? Even now Mina's fan activity runs circles around him. Almost no one likes him. Then again who knows, with everybody ditching the book we might just be seeing the bottom barrel's voice grow more signifficant. And by bottom barrell I mean the die hards, or fans who liked stuff that essentially drove everyone else away.

Because I like the way Tracy draws him, that's why. I really shouldn't have to explain that to you. =)

You didn't have to if you didn't want to, you always have that liberty. I just didn't see how one could make such a change without actually getting a better idea of what's going on.

I don't really feel that's excusable.

Make everything totally dull just because you want 200 to be interesting. 50 was big because it changed the way the characters would interact with one another would never be the same. As a matter of fact considering what happened, the issues leading up to 50 left a much bigger "woah" factor in that regard compared to the end. Where they essentially did an "oops it didn't happen!"

Would I want 199 to be dull? No. If I didn't have any complaints against it, I wouldn't of mentioned it at all. Where did I say to "make everything totally dull because I want 200 to be interesting?" I said they can kind of get away with it because I know the next issue will consist of the action they left out. I was being lenient on my criticism, but I feel they should of tried harder on the plotline.

If people like issue 199, go ahead and shout it from the rooftops. However in short, I wasn't all too impressed with it overall. It's just an opinion.

Issue 201:

...KHAN?! Who asked for him to come back?

I like Monkey Khan, and I think its pretty cool they have him in this issue. Its a small something, but still something to look forwards to in an otherwise bland sea of the foreseeable future. What with all the boring cover art, boring Mobius whatever years later stories, and uncompelling EPIC fail of a lead up to the big #200, theres not really much going on to interest me....Monkey Khan is at least someting out of left field, something unexpected and holding a slight amount of interest for me. The only thing that has me actually excited is if we get to see more of Renae Deliz's work.

Does anyone think they are going to put preview pages up for the next issues of Sth and SU? Because wouldn't they have done it by now, usually happens when they put up the next issues cover and details right?

So if this is anything to go by, at least they think that the next issues are going to be good, and have spoilers to maybe some big things.

They always think their issues are going to be big. Not saying they are bad or anything. I kinda just wish we had more time for character development every once in a while. So much non-stop action. Oh well lol. Still can't wait for 200. If it's nothing else, it'll be a glorious action fest!

I can't help but look at Khan and think "POWER POLE EXTEND."

When I look at Monkey Khan, I can't help thinking of that monkey Pokémon from the newer games. *Looks it up* Lol, Chimchar:

390.png

Must be the tuft of fur on the head ^^;

When I look at Monkey Khan, I can't help thinking of that monkey Pokémon from the newer games. *Looks it up* Lol, Chimchar:

390.png

Must be the tuft of fur on the head ^^;

Hee hee, reminds me of that episode where Ash hugs his Chimchar- which is still covered in flames- to calm it down from an overblown power boost. That was adorable.^_^

su3.jpg

su3_1.jpg

su3_2.jpg

su3_3.jpg

su3_4.jpg

su3_5.jpg

"Old Soldiers": Shadow is sent into the remote mountains to find E-102 Gamma. At the same time, Dr. Robotnik launches the over-powered E-123 Omega to hunt down and destroy the rogue robot! It's a race against time to see if Shadow can save Gamma and offer him asylum - if Gamma even wants to be saved! It's the latest installment of this exciting new series presenting unifying continuity while spotlighting the many characters from Sonic's various video games and animated series.

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn.

ART: Tracy Yardley.

Shipping Date: April 22nd, 2009

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: April 29th, 2009

On Sale on Newsstands: May 12th, 2009

$2.50 US

I actually really like the expressive way that Yardley draws Gamma and Omega's eyes. Especially the shocked, nervous,"Dude, what the hell?" look that Omega's got as Robotnik threatens to toss him back into storage.

I'm finding I'm liking Universe a lot better than the main comic, at the moment. There seems to be a lot more room to play around and experiment there, which I guess was the point.

Edited by BlazeySammy

su3_4.jpg

Surprised face. :o

And it's great to see Eggman finally setting about cleaning up his minor annoyances when his major enemies are right outside his door about to tear him a new one. Way to prioritize!

Edited by Yong

Omega's in, Omega's in, Omega's in, Omega's in, Omega's in, OMEGA'S IN!

And it's great to see Eggman finally setting about cleaning up his minor annoyances when his major enemies are right outside his door about to tear him a new one. Way to prioritize!

Eggman's starting to remind me of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Robotnik. Very little on his mind anymore besides "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!!"

Omega's in, Omega's in, Omega's in, Omega's in, Omega's in, OMEGA'S IN!

And making a great first impression.^_^