Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I guess, but it is an adaption of SA2, so I guess I expected something a bit closer to the source material.

Then again, I suppose this is a godsend of accuracy compared to some of the early Genesis game adaptions, so I can't really complain.

Yeah, the attempt to merge SatAM Robotnik with game Robotnik can be a bit jarring at times, even if I have found it entertaining on some level.

I may be wrong, as I can't read Ian's mind, but I get the feeling that the purpose of the current story arc is to:

1. Put Robotnik on hiatus for a while.

2. Phase out the whole "Evil Overlord who already has control of the planet" thing from SatAM, instead making Robotnik/Eggman a simply a rouge mad scientist who is trying to take over the planet, like in the games.

In other news, good ol' Ian Potto has created an Archie Sonic retrospective on youtube:

In other news, good ol' Ian Potto has created an Archie Sonic retrospective on youtube:

Universalamander! So nostalgic! :lol:

What the heck, Archie? I got tired of waiting for SU#1 to come in the mail. And when I saw my local newstand had it in, I went and put the $3 on it. When I get home I find my subscription #1 had come in.

Seriously. What the heck? #2 better not take as freaking long.

I finally got Sonic Universe no 1 at Borders. That sure was a nice story. Not at all like that "Rise of the Phoenix" thing. HARD to follow. I hope the rest of Sonic Universe is this good.

I LOVE how accurately they potrayed Marine. She is SO annoying. ... But what was with the goofy facial expression Shadow gave her? Sometimes I wonder about the artists used in this comic.

That off panel thing was pretty amusing. I usually am repulsed by those.

Im still waiting on those alleged Knuckles reprints. I haven't seen any adds or anything for them.

I LOVE how accurately they potrayed Marine. She is SO annoying. ... But what was with the goofy facial expression Shadow gave her? Sometimes I wonder about the artists used in this comic.

Well Shadow always has an "angry face." So Tracey needed something more distinctive to show when Shadow was actually angry.

I guess don't make Shadow angry then. :huh:

The preview for the Free Comic Book Day issue can be downloaded.

EDIT:

sth199.jpg

sth199_1.jpg

sth199_2.jpg

sth199_3.jpg

sth199_4.jpg

sth199_5.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #199

"Knocking on Eggman's Door": Sonic leads the combined might of the Freedom Fighters and the Chaotix in a final push against Dr. Robotnik and his Eggman Empire! In this climactic battle old friendships and rivalries are revisited, family confronts family, and a treacherous plot is revealed that you won't believe! You simply cannot afford to miss this pulse-pounding lead-in to the mega-milestone SONIC #200!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn

ART: Tracy Yardley!

Shipping Date: April 1st, 2009

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: April 8th, 2009

On Sale on Newsstands: April 21st, 2009

32-page, full color comic

$ 2.50 US

Edited by Megasponge

sth199.jpg

sth199_1.jpg

sth199_2.jpg

sth199_3.jpg

sth199_4.jpg

sth199_5.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #199

"Knocking on Eggman's Door": Sonic leads the combined might of the Freedom Fighters and the Chaotix in a final push against Dr. Robotnik and his Eggman Empire! In this climactic battle old friendships and rivalries are revisited, family confronts family, and a treacherous plot is revealed that you won't believe! You simply cannot afford to miss this pulse-pounding lead-in to the mega-milestone SONIC #200!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn

ART: Tracy Yardley!

Shipping Date: April 1st, 2009

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: April 8th, 2009

On Sale on Newsstands: April 21st, 2009

32-page, full color comic

$ 2.50 US

I've always found the Giant Eyebrows of Doom that Yardley gives Sally to be kind of hilarious. Not that I think they're badly drawn, just that I've never seen anyone else draw them that way before, that I can recall. :lol:

Why'd you post the same thing twice? :huh:

EDIT: While I can understand the obvious direction Eggman's headed, I just don't feel the buildup's really there. It just doesn't feel like an emotional "epic" battle's about to come. At least during Endgame Ken in part deliberatey killed Sally to send Sonic over the edge to make it an emotionally charged battle. I'd hope to see something like that in this upcoming story arc, but I'm not really sure we will.

P.S: And no Mina. Great. I see..Safron but no Mina? God.

Edited by Miko

Yes. Let's have Mina stand around and do nothing while they take down Eggman. Or better, yet, she can sing while everyone else does something useful. God.

Why'd you post the same thing twice? :huh:

EDIT: While I can understand the obvious direction Eggman's headed, I just don't feel the buildup's really there. It just doesn't feel like an emotional "epic" battle's about to come. At least during Endgame Ken in part deliberatey killed Sally in part to send Sonic over the edge to make it an emotionally charged battle. I'd hope to see something like that in this upcoming story arc, but I'm not really sure we will.

Yeah, I'm really curious to what the ramifications of Eggman's defeat will be. There have been hints about Sonic getting some sort "last revenge" on Eggman. I got no clue how that would play out, though, for better or worse. :blink:

Edit: I think that Ian could have made Mina a viable, useful player had it been his choice. He's done well bringing Amy out of relative obscurity, after all, and has been taking measures to do the same for Shadow and his supporting cast.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Yes. Let's have Mina stand around and do nothing while they take down Eggman. Or better, yet, she can sing while everyone else does something useful. God.

She's gonna get her own mini comic in Sonic Universe.

She's gonna get her own mini comic in Sonic Universe.

Really? :blink:

Or am I just being humour impaired?^_^;;

Oh I see. Because Safron, Charmy and Ray can all go in and mimic Tails' flight. Tails also gets speed training from Sonic and can rapidly fight enemies. Mina has only slightly above average speed she can use and control but oop. That's nothing! Because despite the fact Shadow and Tails can have speed and be apart of the team for this mission Mina can't. That logic kind trips and falls on itself given the nature of the team currently. I guess I forgot how utterly uncreative this comic's been with her for the past few years, my bad. First of all, a concept sort of foreign to this comic is having the characters be useful to one another through their personalities. If they balanced Sonic or each other's flaws upon manifesting during a mission ,they are helping in it's success just as much as they would engaging in ever so generic manfight. Is it any wonder how characters with no super powers have a stronger following than this one. The concept of using personality to advance a plot is practically elementary.

Oh but that's right. That's Sally's job. Figuring out how to make the characters do that would require writing college worthy papers and no one wants to do that...sarcasm mine on that one. Really. You have a character whose name is a short version for Minerva (According to Karl). Minerva if you looked for a meaning like most Sega characters being a goddess of medicine, music, war and crafts and you can't find a thing to do with her? *shakes head*

God indeed. This is truly sad.

EDIT: I made a mistake this book's been uncreative for much longer then a few years. Whoo! Also made a few other edits.

Edited by Miko

You know that Mina gave up the heroic side of life? She's a singer now.

Miko, on every forum I saw you, you always sounded like a very non-opened, stubborn person, always trying to find a little bad point about X character (especially Sally) and acting like you knew better than the people working on the comic how to write the characters.

And Sally was a colmnist reading through and giving advice to people. A columnist is in real life a job people can do full time. She was happy with Dear Aly as it helped to give the people support. But that didn't stop her from ending back on the field. So yes, Mina's a singer. But when asked to assist on a mission she does go (ex: Sonic's Angels). Speaking of Sally, there is no real basis for her return as the reasons she left in the first place have not all been addressed. So let me get this straight: it'd be ok to keep Mina's charcterization if it keeps her away from the story (and it doesn't as she has gone on missions), meanwhile Sally who was content with Dear Aly and actually had several reasons that kept her away from the battlefeild is dragged back by the hair?

Miko, on every forum I saw you, you always sounded like a very non-opened, stubborn person, always trying to find a little bad point about X character (especially Sally) and acting like you knew better than the people working on the comic how to write the characters.

1. I'm actually very open in the sense my opinions are flexible to change upon assessing new information. My views on Sally have actually been by far the most dynamic. Did you know I once liked Sally? Did you know that I once considered myself to be a Sonic/Sally fan?

2. And also what was I saying "bad" about the characters? I wasn't dissing Tails, Shadow, etc. I'm saying the logic she couldn't do anything is flawed if they're there doing things that aren't exactly original.

3. The comic in how it's been handling the characters is something I don't agree with. I'd think anyone who would disagree would prefer the concepts that they do agree with and deem them better.

4. I don't consider the problems I've found with many of the characters (particularly Sally) to be "little bad points" as, they have (as I've described) had affects to the storytelling component that are far from "little."

Edited by Miko

You're not even considering the extent Mina was trained. The Freedom Fighters trained her in multiple areas so its possible she's dynamic in a number of feilds.

Mina left the heroic side of life because she beleived at first that she was only in it to impress Sonic. This arguement of course is no longer applicable since that mindset changed when she made a career out of her music (ex: singing to support troops, and then willing to go on stage and potentially get herself killed for her fans). Not to mention she enters when called like when #125 and "Sonic's Angels" occured.

I don't see why Mina couldn't do both Freedom Fighting and music. Instead of just using it as a pointless, BS plot-device to keep her away from Sonic, Archie could have used Sonic's guitarist skills to join her band, and occasionally travel as a means for him to go on even more adventures.

But heaven forbid Mina's around Sonic too long. People might actually "like" the idea of them being together, and we don't need another love triangle despite the fact Mina would be too insecure (because of Sally and Amy) to actively pursue him anyway. :rolleyes:

always trying to find a little bad point about X character (especially Sally)

Can't say I blame her, at least, not when it comes to Sally. She hinders characters' abilities to connect with Sonic because she's designed to do everything when it comes to accomodating his personality. Heck, forget Tails, she was Sonic's "best friend in all of Mobius" according to #57! Then the comic is flipping over backwards for this girl and is constantly messing with the story and characters just for her to have a place she, based on prior continuity, never should have had. In short, the book is revolving and accomodating her to a point of irrationability, and Sally has become a "Black Hole"-type of Mary Sue as a result. I suppose that would also make her a canon-sue, too.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackHoleSue

You can check TVtropes for more info on that. I think it fits Sally perfectly, especially in the comics..

Edited by Picchi

I finally got Sonic Universe no 1 at Borders. That sure was a nice story. Not at all like that "Rise of the Phoenix" thing. HARD to follow. I hope the rest of Sonic Universe is this good.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Seriously? What was wrong with the "Rise of the Phoenix" story? Besides the artwork in it being ten times better, I can't see any diffrence between it and Sonic Universe.

Whats hard to understand? The freedom fighters are making a stand against eggman ~ they encounter the dark egg legion, and win ~ Eggman retaliates and surpresses their attack with the egg phoenix ~ then Sonic and co use a plan to defeat him.....its really not that hard, and in no way is harder to understand than any other plot.

Whats with #199? I thought Renae Deliz was the new artist!? WTF - I was looking forwards to seeing more of her work, especially after the eye candy that was #198......now I am disappointed, its gone back to the same lame uninteresting stuff, bleh.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Seriously? What was wrong with the "Rise of the Phoenix" story? Besides the artwork in it being ten times better, I can't see any diffrence between it and Sonic Universe.

Whats hard to understand? The freedom fighters are making a stand against eggman ~ they encounter the dark egg legion, and win ~ Eggman retaliates and surpresses their attack with the egg phoenix ~ then Sonic and co use a plan to defeat him.....its really not that hard, and in no way is harder to understand than any other plot.

Whats with #199? I thought Renae Deliz was the new artist!? WTF - I was looking forwards to seeing more of her work, especially after the eye candy that was #198......now I am disappointed, its gone back to the same lame uninteresting stuff, bleh.

Archie knows how to tease us I guess...Maybe we'll see more of her stuff.

Archie knows how to tease us I guess...Maybe we'll see more of her stuff.

I just hope they still use her, and she hasn't been let go if the whole economic thing is anything to go by with people getting fired and stuff. Her work is head and shoulders, hell legs aswell above the rest ~ just look at her deviant art stuff! Now if only Archie could spring for whoever colours her stuff!

I just figured that she'd get a run of a few issues, and that it would be appropriate to have her great art for the lead up to the big 200, but alas mediocre reigns. Tis a shame, now my enthusiasm for the next issue has lapsed, that combined with the lacking cover for #200 is making what should be an awesome time for the comic just meh.

EDIT: Free comic book day comic is looking pretty lame, I know its for free, but really, couldn't they have done anything better than recap the story? not even recapped with new pictures, recapped with clips from previous issues! If this is all the FCBD comic is gonna be then that'll be another disappointment.

Meh, don't care much about Mina. She seems only created to become another love interest for Sonic/introduce useless and unwanted love triangles, and doesn't seem to do much b/c of her singing career and boyfriend/manager.

Meh, don't care much about Mina. She seems only created to become another love interest for Sonic/introduce useless and unwanted love triangles, and doesn't seem to do much b/c of her singing career and boyfriend/manager.

It doesn't really matter what she was "created" for. What's important is whether or not she has the potential to do anything for Sonic's story, in which yes, she does. For instance, If Mina's career was toned down a bit, she could not only be a Freedom Fighter, but serve as a means for Sonic to get out of New Mobotropolis to journey other places, and with that, occasionally have new adventures (not to mention visit old characters who don't live in the city). Characters like Vector Crocodile, Tiara Boobowski and other musically inclined members of the franchise could also be granted the opportunity to have well-needed screentime and development with Sonic through this experience as well.

As for Ash? His relationship with Mina is so underdeveloped, that its safe to say that they could break their relationship off-panel at any time-- just as easily as it was established in the book. Mina with her current insecurities about Sonic is no real threat to Sally or Amy, so there's no point in complaining about melodramatic love triangles as none of the girls ever have to officially get anywhere. So with that said, I also see no need in keeping Ash as a boyfriend anymore. He was made to keep Mina from creating another hectic love triangle, but Mina herself can do that just fine now on her own, while still being a potential love interest. Perhaps I could still see Ash as her and the band's manager, but his use as Mina's boyfriend has gone beyond the expiration date and is only holding her back now at this point.

Edited by Picchi

If what I've heard is correct, don't expect to see Renae taking up art duties for the comic anytime soon. She says she doesn't have any issues under her pencil planned.

EDIT: Also, Miko? Picchi? You act as if I give a rat's ass about Sally in your arguement, but if I had my way, she'd be dead as a doornail three times over now. XD

Edited by Toby Barrett