Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

This is basically the kinda dynamic I like between Sonic and Eggman. Serious business, yet complete with tons of wisecracks and taunting. Darkly humorous rather than slap-stick, but with room for a few genuinely comedic moments. Also, a sense of depth to the rivalry, acknowledging the impact they've both made on each other's lives.

I feel sorry for Eggman... I'm still not sure what's going on, but his descent into madness, and subsequent loss of control, really makes me feel for the guy.

And I know he's the good guy, but Sonic's practically delivering a villainous monologue to the tee.

Still, I'm curious what plot developments lie in wait for Eggman after the likely loss of his empire. Since Ian confirmed Eggman will still live through this, and can't ever be killed off, it could indeed be interesting to see what adventures await him after he's (temporarily) dethroned.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

This is basically the kinda dynamic I like between Sonic and Eggman. Serious business, yet complete with tons of wisecracks and taunting. Darkly humorous rather than slap-stick, but with room for a few genuinely comedic moments. Also, a sense of depth to the rivalry, acknowledging the impact they've both made on each other's lives.

Heh, come to think of it, it feels very "SatAM" in that regard. Only thing missing is Sonic calling him "Buttnik" :lol:

Still, I'm curious what plot developments lie in wait for Eggman after the likely loss of his empire. Since Ian confirmed Eggman will still live through this, and can't ever be killed off, it could indeed be interesting to see what adventures await him after he's (temporarily) dethroned.

Yeah, I've been also been pretty curious about what the future holds for Eggman after this. It seems the elements of his character the still resemble the SatAM Robotnik are getting a sort of closure, so what happens next could be...well, pretty much anything, I guess. :blink: Quite mysterious.

And I know he's the good guy, but Sonic's practically delivering a villainous monologue to the tee.

You can't have a monologue when two people are talking.

And I hear Deem Bristow's voice, which isn't a good thing considering how poorly written the game he was in were.

I am pretty sure he will start acting like his game counterpart.

You can't have a monologue when two people are talking.

Well, it's not technically a monolouge, but it's kind of close ;) Eggman's really struggling for things to say in his defense at this point.

I am pretty sure he will start acting like his game counterpart.

He's already been on a slow development up to that point, I'll contend.

Indeed, since Robo Robotnik became organic, the man has been humanized both literally and figuratively. He's still more ruthless than his game counterpart, but Eggman's definitely more lovable and endearing than the Julian of old.

The way he frets about his appearance("Get me my scarf!"), wears bright blue pajamas, and advocates his baldness as a fashion statement("Bald is beautiful!"), among other things, definitely makes him feel more... not exactly like he's good in Archie's continuity, per se, but like he's human at least. There's more to him than his evil schemes, and I like that.

(...And even though it ended pretty badly, I thought it was kind of interesting that Eggman tried to create a surrogate family for himself.)

Still, yes. I wouldn't be surprised if his sudden lack of power segued into a deeper look at ol' Eggman's personality, perhaps humanizing him even more.

(...And even though it ended pretty badly, I thought it was kind of interesting that Eggman tried to create a surrogate family for himself.)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the loss of said family made him descend into madness all the faster.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the loss of said family made him descend into madness all the faster.

Maybe. But then again, he (indirectly) destroyed them. ...ADAM deserved it of course, though he pinned the blame on M, leading to her destruction.

...Which I suppose could still contribute to his developing madness in a roundabout way. Still, I imagine most of it has to do with, as Sonic said, having to constantly fight to keep hold of his loosely-assembled empire. Truly, ruling the world isn't easy, and Eggman knows this all too well.

If you were in charge of a planet that just wouldn't stay under your control, no matter what you did... Well, a breakdown seems inevitable.

Maybe. But then again, he (indirectly) destroyed them. ...ADAM deserved it of course, though he pinned the blame on M, leading to her destruction.

...Which I suppose could still contribute to his developing madness in a roundabout way. Still, I imagine most of it has to do with, as Sonic said, having to constantly fight to keep hold of his loosely-assembled empire. Truly, ruling the world isn't easy, and Eggman knows this all too well.

If you were in charge of a planet that just wouldn't stay under your control, no matter what you did... Well, a breakdown seems inevitable.

Yeah, he didn't seem that close to the robo-children, come to think of it. And you're right, constant failing at what you value most would naturally take a large toll on someone.

...I'm getting this weird image in my head of Eggman getting frustrated at those barrels in Sonic 3 now, for some reason. :lol:

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

I feel sorry for Eggman... I'm still not sure what's going on, but his descent into madness, and subsequent loss of control, really makes me feel for the guy.

No, it's a Reverse Hannibal Lecture.

This is a man who has killed hundreds, robbed just as many of their free will, torn apart families and kingdoms, is directly and indirectly responsible for what's happened to King Max and Jules over the years, devastated the echidnas, and betrayed every mentor and confidant he's ever had.

Sonic has every RIGHT to taunt Eggman for his shortcomings.

No, it's a Reverse Hannibal Lecture.

This is a man who has killed hundreds, robbed just as many of their free will, torn apart families and kingdoms, is directly and indirectly responsible for what's happened to King Max and Jules over the years, devastated the echidnas, and betrayed every mentor and confidant he's ever had.

Sonic has every RIGHT to taunt Eggman for his shortcomings.

Gordo, I know you love Eggman, but I think you might be confusing this Eggman with someone else. He's no hero in this comic. He's an evil tyrant who has killed millions, many just for laughs. He's not as kind or "heroic" as you seem to think.

Sonic taunting Eggman was completely in character, and as Razor said, he has every right to. In fact, the monologue Eggman delivered to Sonic in #175 was much more cruel and villainous than this.

Master-board- I think Tracy is better than Renae at action scenes and pacing. Renae is good, but she needs a lot of work.

Agreed. Ain't nothing redeemable about this Eggman, and everything Sonic said was spot on and, frankly, rather forgiving, considering what Eggman has done to him and his friends and their homes. I can't see anything at all 'villainous' in what Sonic said. He just countered everything Eggman threw at him, and with STYLE I might add :)

I guess what makes things the most confusing about Robotnik in this comic, at least for a new reader, is that while this Eggman looks like the game Eggman, and shares some of the lighthearted aspects of that character on the surface...He's still a version of Julian at his core. Which means he's still a "I'm doing bad things for no apparent reason other than irrational sadism" like the SatAM Julian was. Whether or not that will change after this "final" battle with Sonic, I don't know.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Agreed. Ain't nothing redeemable about this Eggman, and everything Sonic said was spot on and, frankly, rather forgiving, considering what Eggman has done to him and his friends and their homes. I can't see anything at all 'villainous' in what Sonic said. He just countered everything Eggman threw at him, and with STYLE I might add :)

Indeed. Thanks for making that clearer, because when I said that was in character for Sonic, I meant that it wasn't all that villainous. I thought this was fairly stylish for Sonic. I thought this was very much his like his style in general.

Whether or not that will change after this "final" battle with Sonic, I don't know.

We all know this isn't the "final battle". No way, Sega would never allow that unless this comic was ending right here and now (which it definitely is not). He may drop off the map for a while, but he'll still end up being both the main villain and alive. He's not going anywhere regardless of what the previews might have some believe.

We all know this isn't the "final battle". No way, Sega would never allow that unless this comic was ending right here and now (which it definitely is not). He may drop off the map for a while, but he'll still end up being both the main villain and alive. He's not going anywhere regardless of what the previews might have some believe.

Oh no, Eggman certainly won't be going away.^_^;; What I meant to say(And I don't blame you for missing my meaning because I was admittedly vague) was that I'm not sure how Eggman's personality and role will end up after the battle in 200 is over.

Oh no, Eggman certainly won't be going away.^_^;; What I meant to say(And I don't blame you for missing my meaning because I was admittedly vague) was that I'm not sure how Eggman's personality and role will end up after the battle in 200 is over.

Ahh, my bad! Surprised I missed that when reading it the first time. Anyway, I don't really think so. We'll see, but I expect him to be about the same. Maybe more like he is in this issue.

Is it just me, or do you just hope Robotnik will impale one of those metallic legs slowly through Sonic's skull? Christ, he is just as annoying in this comic as him shouting 'You're too slow" in SSBB. I am totally getting that annoying vibe.

Now excuse me, I have some Sonic torture art to do. ;)

Heaven forbid Sonic be in character. Besides, Robotnik's had it coming.

I suppose.

Though the original Robotnik's death always struck me as an odd thing for Sonic to uphold as good- When you consider that in the Sonic 3D Blast adaption in the Archie canon, Sonic deliberately rescues Robotnik, simply because he's a hero and that's what heroes do. Read it, it's all there.

Going from that mindset to happily seeing Robotnik's demise(Which in the timeline wasn't that much later) seems a little odd and inconsistent on Sonic's part.

Though the original Robotnik's death always struck me as an odd thing for Sonic to uphold as good- When you consider that in the Sonic 3D Blast adaption in the Archie canon, Sonic deliberately rescues Robotnik, simply because he's a hero and that's what heroes do. Read it, it's all there.

Going from that mindset to happily seeing Robotnik's demise(Which in the timeline wasn't that much later) seems a little odd and inconsistent on Sonic's part.

Come to think of it, Snivley crying over Robotnik's death in issue 21, and then going on to betray him in Endgame seems a tad strange too...I suppose that Robotnik's treatment of him may have worsened over time, though.

One was a happy-go-lucky game adaptation written by a man who came from MAD Magazine. The other was a dramatic milestone issue full of death and deceit written by the guy who tried to make the comic a soap opera.

Inconsistency is understandable.

Heaven forbid Sonic be in character. Besides, Robotnik's had it coming.

Oh I know ol' Buttnik had it coming for a while, it's just that Sonic sometimes rubs me the wrong way with his snarky attitude.

I guess I have to give Ian props for that as well.

Robotnik! Quit yer blabbin' and go for the jugular!

One was a happy-go-lucky game adaptation written by a man who came from MAD Magazine. The other was a dramatic milestone issue full of death and deceit written by the guy who tried to make the comic a soap opera.

Inconsistency is understandable.

Personally I sometimes feel like the comic has multiple personality disorder, due to the many writers and shifts in tone. Though that's to be expected when a series runs this long, and it's thankfully still mostly entertaining to me despite the various contradictions.

Well Eggamn tried to deliver, "The reasons why you suck"speech combined with a "Hannibal Lecture" speech but Sonic countered with a "Shut the Hell Up, Hannibal" snarklogue. Hopefully we get a Motive Rant out of Eggman and this issue will be gold.

Oh I know ol' Buttnik had it coming for a while, it's just that Sonic sometimes rubs me the wrong way with his snarky attitude.

He is a Deadpan Snarker. What do you expect?

Edited by turbojet