Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Heaven forbid Sonic be in character. Besides, Robotnik's had it coming.

Like I said. Indeed, all things considered Robtnik's ha this coming for a while.

One was a happy-go-lucky game adaptation written by a man who came from MAD Magazine. The other was a dramatic milestone issue full of death and deceit written by the guy who tried to make the comic a soap opera.

Inconsistency is understandable.

As Toby pointed out, back then there was a fair amount of inconsistency.

Also Gordo, they were going under the assumption that #50 would be the end of the comic when it was written. They tried to put a "happily ever after with no evil tyrant" spin on things.

Come to think of it, Snivley crying over Robotnik's death in issue 21, and then going on to betray him in Endgame seems a tad strange too...I suppose that Robotnik's treatment of him may have worsened over time, though

Yeah, but over time Robotnik's abuse towards Snively steadily increased. After a while it was understandable that Snively wanted to rebel.

Yeah, but over time Robotnik's abuse towards Snively steadily increased. After a while it was understandable that Snively wanted to rebel.

It'd be pretty ironic if the abuse back then increased due to Robotnik's constant frustrations at failing so much. ;)

Not to mention, Snively is a nasty piece of work anyway. He always resented Robotnik, even if he also was very dependant on him. When he realised he didn't have to be, it was easy for him to rebel.

As for the whole inconsistency issue, don't get me started. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Bunnie... ESPECIALLY Sally... actually, I can't think of one central character who hasn't had several personality and status overhauls over the course of the comics, as well as several who have had physical makeovers, too (*cough*Bunnie*cough*Sally*).

Then again, that's what you get when a whole team of writers and artists works on a single collaborative project.

I suppose.

Though the original Robotnik's death always struck me as an odd thing for Sonic to uphold as good- When you consider that in the Sonic 3D Blast adaption in the Archie canon, Sonic deliberately rescues Robotnik, simply because he's a hero and that's what heroes do. Read it, it's all there.

Going from that mindset to happily seeing Robotnik's demise(Which in the timeline wasn't that much later) seems a little odd and inconsistent on Sonic's part.

Well to be fair, during Endgame, Sonic lost the love of his life, was accused of murder and more or less pushed over the edge.

Wasn't too smart to put a big star on its bum, as if to say, "HIT HERE FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!" :lol:

Hey, it "works" in the games. ;)

Since Eggman and Robotnik have pretty much ruined the lives of virtually everyone on Mobius at some point or another - and being heartless murderers, to boot - whatever intense hatred the Sonic characters have had toward them ought to be perfectly understandable. At heart, Eggman is still a completely different character than his game incarnation, one who would roboticize a man begging for mercy because he has a family.

Oh, and yeah, comics are full of inconsistency. The first 20 or so issues were like a comic form of AoStH, except overloaded with puns on every panel single panel. And of course, the stuff they've retconned...

As for the whole inconsistency issue, don't get me started. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Bunnie... ESPECIALLY Sally... actually, I can't think of one central character who hasn't had several personality and status overhauls over the course of the comics, as well as several who have had physical makeovers, too (*cough*Bunnie*cough*Sally*).

Then again, that's what you get when a whole team of writers and artists works on a single collaborative project.

I feel like I might be the only one who feels this way, but...I miss the earlier portrayal of Bunnie who was actually happy about her cyborg state. Originally, Bunnie's reaction to her mechanical limbs was "Wow, I have superpowers! I get to help Sonic!" She wasn't afraid of the way she was. She was just afraid that Robotnik would use her mechanical half to enslave her.

Later she started thinking of herself as a freak just for having robot parts. That may have made the comic more like the SatAM show...but this is one case I'd rather that it had differed from the cartoon. It got to the point where Ken Penders made it so Bunnie could never be deroboticized without the risk of dying, so she was just stuck grudgingly coping with her body instead of accepting it. Granted, this allowed a heart warming moment where Ant made it clear that he'd love her no matter what she looked like. But somehow I still feel like something was lost in darkening Bunnie's character.

It would have made sense the other way around, really. If she was initially more distressed about it, then came to accept it and even see it as a gift in a way.

I guess because the comic started out so much lighter, they felt the need to cram in the 'depth' and 'character development' later and ret-conned her back to where she would more realistically have been in the first place.

By now, almost every character has something that isolates them and makes them feel like a 'freak' among their friends. You'd think they'd take solace in the fact that they're all a bunch of freaks :P

It would have made sense the other way around, really. If she was initially more distressed about it, then came to accept it and even see it as a gift in a way.

This is actually exactly how I've wanted Bunnie to be written for a long, long, time. You managed to state what was on the tip of my tongue, but that I couldn't quite grasp.^_^

I guess because the comic started out so much lighter, they felt the need to cram in the 'depth' and 'character development' later and ret-conned her back to where she would more realistically have been in the first place.

By now, almost every character has something that isolates them and makes them feel like a 'freak' among their friends. You'd think they'd take solace in the fact that they're all a bunch of freaks :P

That's the problem with drama...If you don't allow the characters to grow and change from it, all you have is a bunch of people being perpetually miserable.

You make a good point that, since everyone has similar pain, it would draw them together. In fact, that was what SatAM was originally built on. :lol:

Sometimes I feel that the character writers equate 'angst' with 'character development' and feel that if a character isn't having some sort of horrible crisis, then no one will be interested in them. But I would LOVE to see them happy once in a while :(

Sometimes I feel that the character writers equate 'angst' with 'character development' and feel that if a character isn't having some sort of horrible crisis, then no one will be interested in them. But I would LOVE to see them happy once in a while :(

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I used to think the very early issues were boring, because I had this idea that if the characters weren't suffering, they had no souls. I realize now that I was mistaken, and it's quite possible to make a character feel like a real, likable person without dumping horrible tragedy on them every ten minutes.

I really have to wonder what "old friend who has a secret that will be exposed" means.

Rotor: Sonic, it has come to my attention that I am pregnant.

I hope you realize what you've just done.

I'm going to draw that now.

Is it wrong that this makes me happy? :lol:

I've got to wonder if Finetevus will be in the Universe Knuckles arc later this year. Then again, I suppose it could be the Legion Knux faces, or some all new baddies for a change.

O.K. I must jot this note down in order to work at Archie before I forget it:

1. Must grow a swanky beard.

Alright, now all doors will open for me. But first the dilemma; how does a woman go growing a beard?

*looks up and scratches chin*

O.K. I must jot this note down in order to work at Archie before I forget it:

1. Must grow a swanky beard.

Alright, now all doors will open for me. But first the dilemma; how does a woman go growing a beard?

*looks up and scratches chin*

You could get a fake one, and possibly a giant moustache to go with it.

Also depends what sorta beard you should grow.

And I still need to go to Bristol to buy more Sonic comics, since I found Sonic 198 some weeks ago, and no Sonic Universe 2, and I know Sonic 199 is out soon, too. Better get 'em all before they're all sold out, but I don't like to pay £5 for the bus, knowing I'd spend over £30 in the comic book store with each visit.

Also depends what sorta beard you should grow.

And I still need to go to Bristol to buy more Sonic comics, since I found Sonic 198 some weeks ago, and no Sonic Universe 2, and I know Sonic 199 is out soon, too. Better get 'em all before they're all sold out, but I don't like to pay £5 for the bus, knowing I'd spend over £30 in the comic book store with each visit.

!! I can buy Sonic comics in Bristol? *Lives near Bristol, has never found 'em* Pray tell me where!

!! I can buy Sonic comics in Bristol? *Lives near Bristol, has never found 'em* Pray tell me where!

Oh yeah. In the Forbidden Planet Comic book shop, which I visit everytime we go to Bristol (lives in Bath). It's £1.60 a comic. You could find ton of other stuff there that might interest ya, like some Sonic Archives or other imported comics, toys, DVDs and the like you couldn't find in local stores.

There's another store nearby that sells Archie Sonic (oddly enough), but a pound more. So avoid getting them from there.

Women in circuseses often grow beards. =o

True. This reflects the atmosphere of Archie studios. After all, we aren't talking about the sophisticated domain of Mad Magazine. ;)

Here's a special scanby PenPen of the Bumbleking forum, from Sonic #200.

Look into his eyes.

Sweet. Like his original form Robotnik of old. I always wondered what his eyes would look like outside of those cold heartless goggles, turns out they are just like his cold heratless eyes of old too B) !

I wonder if they needed official permission for this? Afterall this makes it semi-fact, or at least the only reference we have got for what Eggmans eyes look like.

Its kinda like Archie revealing what Sega or the games have never done, and showing us if Sonic has toes on his feet or something hey!