Awoo.

Sonic 4 Playtested By Community Member

Slingerland

Ok, Phos, lets put this from their persepctive since you want to drag the Rush series in the arguement.

IGN review of Sonic Rush

Gameplay

The fastest, most energetic, and coolest 2D Sonic game created. The "unfair" elements of past Sonic games have been remedied with new and welcome gameplay elements. And it's incredibly challenging.

IGN review of Sonic Rush Adventure

Gamespot Review of Sonic Rush

The Good Very fast Trick system is a neat idea Great music.

The Bad Not enough differences between the two playable characters Blind jumps and sudden enemy placement force you to memorize level designs in some spots

Gamespot review of Sonic Rush Adventure

The Good Great level designs Fun, hip-hop-infused soundtrack Dynamic blending of 2D gameplay and 3D graphics Sea-travel levels break up the action.

The Bad Story sequences feel disposable Playing the same levels repeatedly eventually gets tiresome.

I could post more reviews but they are all essentially saying the same thing about the games. Physics isn't mentioned or even a main concern. although this is the period where the people wanted speed,speed, speed, the reviewers didn't care that much about the difference betwen a certain game's physics unless it became a blaringly obvious issue.

Ok, Phos, lets put this from their persepctive since you want to drag the Rush series in the arguement.

IGN review of Sonic Rush

IGN review of Sonic Rush Adventure

Gamespot Review of Sonic Rush

Gamespot review of Sonic Rush Adventure

I could post more reviews but they are all essentially saying the same thing about the games. Physics isn't mentioned or even a main concern. although this is the period where the people wanted speed,speed, speed, the reviewers didn't care that much about the difference betwen a certain game's physics unless it became a blaringly obvious issue.

Cool story bro, but you didn't read my post. I didn't even mention Rush. What I did say was that without any form of boost, the problems with the game's physics will all the more obvious. 06 didn't have any sort of boost (normally), and that didn't escape criticism in terms of its physics.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can you really say '06 even has a physics system beyond Havok'd crates, though? I mean, it just seems like a massive outlier to me. You can hate on Rush physics for all I care, but I don't think any other Sonic game in history can glue you to the cieling without having to move. In most other examples it can at least be ignored, or go unnoticed if the player does what's expected of them (IE: not deliberately fuck around with the game for the purpose of discovering glitches).

• Thumbs Up 3

My previous post was too caustic, and I apologize.

Can you really say '06 even has a physics system beyond Havok'd crates, though? I mean, it just seems like a massive outlier to me. You can hate on Rush physics for all I care, but I don't think any other Sonic game in history can glue you to the cieling without having to move. In most other examples it can at least be ignored, or go unnoticed if the player does what's expected of them (IE: not deliberately fuck around with the game for the purpose of discovering glitches).

Aside from that one bit of Flame Core (The "glue you to the ceiling" bit), the physics systems of Rush and 06 are pretty similar, or at least are about on the same level. They both have very simplistic facsimiles of gravity, but 06 at least requires you to be moving to stick to steep slopes. But really, the point of the comparison is that Rush's physics work for what Rush is, but I suspect their limitations will be much more pronounced in this game.

Yeah, really. All we've seen is walking, jumping, jumping, homing attack, jump off ledge thus making what looks to be a MOON JUMP, jump, jump, homing attack, walk some, run into wall, walk, jump, homing attack into wall, repeat last part three times, herp derp.

There's no way to tell what the physics are if all the guy is doing is jumping. :P

Ah, beat me to it. Well played. I had a good laugh at this one. :lol:

My previous post was too caustic, and I apologize.

Aside from that one bit of Flame Core (The "glue you to the ceiling" bit), the physics systems of Rush and 06 are pretty similar, or at least are about on the same level. They both have very simplistic facsimiles of gravity, but 06 at least requires you to be moving to stick to steep slopes. But really, the point of the comparison is that Rush's physics work for what Rush is, but I suspect their limitations will be much more pronounced in this game.

Depends on the slope/wall actually. And the loops/corkscrews you'll always stick to no matter the angle or speed at which you may or may not be traveling.

Depends on the slope/wall actually. And the loops/corkscrews you'll always stick to no matter the angle or speed at which you may or may not be traveling.

Like that?

• Thumbs Up 2

omfg... at least in other games (even Shadow the Hedgehog) you MUST be running to get through a loop, and if you stop while in the loop, you WILL fall. That's... wow... I have NEVER seen that before.

omfg... at least in other games (even Shadow the Hedgehog) you MUST be running to get through a loop, and if you stop while in the loop, you WILL fall. That's... wow... I have NEVER seen that before.

Yup. Now you see why so many people are worried solely about Sonic 4's physics? This is dangerous shit, man! :blink:

Except I highly doubt that will be the case for Sonic 4. And as I recall, even in Sonic Rush you can't do that.

Except I highly doubt that will be the case for Sonic 4. And as I recall, even in Sonic Rush you can't do that.

lol, yeah, I know, I was kinda kidding. And of course, what we saw was just an alpha.

Still, it does worry me..... and it'd be a real shame if the physics are what brings this game down, 'cause everything else looks and sounds excellent so far. At least in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, never thought this would happen, but I'm actually getting worried about this game, I'll probably enjoy it, but I'll be disappointed and a bit scared to see how the fanbase reacts if this does end up being Sonic Rush 3 Advance 2 with the level concepts, enemies, and bosses from the Genesis games stuck in it.

But whatever, I don't really care as long as it's fun.

Edited by Ekaje

Once again, it doesn't mean that there won't be any tweaks to the actual code itself. The glitches and such are still being worked out. The physics, graphics, etc., are all defined, but not everything is working 100%, so obviously that needs to be sorted out before the game is release. And there's five months to do it.

Wait until we're two weeks away, and if we see footage that looks wonky, THEN complain about it.

Actually from what I have seen, the level design doesn't look much like Sadv2 to me.

I decided to pick up the game after so long of not playing it around last week, and gave it a go (all the way until Sky Canyon; that stage is EVVVILLLL). Actually, the game was a lot of fun, and I loved it. Sonic's physics were refined and actually felt more solid and fun than Adv1's, but the level design was so streamlined that it's really what made the game feel like a "hold-right" game, not the physics or the controls (as I like the boost and the tricks; they are nice little additions that don't subtract or add too much to the game).

Now after watching the S4 leak video again, the level design looked much more like Sadv1's level design than Sadv2's, in just about every way. There were way more routes and little passageways and stuff than anything Leaf Forest had, and it definitely didn't look as if you would be holding right the whole time, unlike how you did in Sadv2.

And really, for me, if the gameplay was like Sadv2 but with level design like the first Advance, IMO we have a winner here.

And really, for me, if the gameplay was like Sadv2 but with level design like the first Advance, IMO we have a winner here.

Sonic Advance 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know very well that wasn't what I meant, and I ask the people in general posting in this thread to stop derailing points because the game specific gimmicks don't line up.

Edited by Tornado

Sonic Advance 3 didn't have level design like Advance 1. Advance 1 levels had tons of routes and level specific gimmicks. Sadv3 had the same general design of FOWARDFOWARDFASTFAST as Sadv2 but with random "platforming" sections that consisted of jumping from small spaces over bottomless pits and bad object placement. This isn't what I'm seeing in S4. I'm seeing more of Sadv1.

I'm seeing the same type of thing in regards to level design. However, the Advance 2 physics engine was still particularly unsuited for use in any kind of low speed platforming, as seen clearly when Dimps reused it for exactly that purpose in Sonic Advance 3.

Edited by Tornado

The way I see it, the evolution of 2D goes like this:

Classics - Momentum and levels built for it.

Adv1 - Classics with tweaked physics and speedier level design.

Adv2 - Adv1, only downhill (LOLspeed) plus tricks.

Adv3 - Adv2, only not downhill plus partners. (Dead end idea)

Rushes - Adv2, only not downhill plus boost. (Best way to get LOLspeed without downhill)

Sonic 4 - Tweaked physics plus what? Rush doesn't work without the boost. Plus classic?

That's why I'm saying S4 looks like it'll be in between Advance 1 and 2, since it shows level design like the first one but a faster Sonic like the second one.

Because essentially, Sonic Rush minus boost pretty much = Advance 2 without constant hold right and downhill anyways. :P