Awoo.

Sonic 4 Playtested By Community Member

Slingerland

Even if what Endri says is true, do any of us know when this demo was originally uploaded? It can't be that new if the demo was made for private use only. Of course, a public demo, one extracted from the latest build of the game, would play much better. The demo Endri describes sounds like the kind of demo playtesters would use to report bugs that are in the game. I don't think there's much to worry about here until a public demo comes out and it ends up sucking too.

I think people are freaking out because he said he was dealing with "the final build" or something... Which doesn't make sense (as stated before) because there are 5 more months until the release. So either he was mistaken, SEGA is lazy, or he's lying. : /

He's posted an e-mail from Ruby -

QUOTE(RubyEclipse @ Feb 19 2010, 03:03 AM)

Hi Endri,

First, nice to meet you. I'm RubyEclipse, and a longtime fan of SEGA/Sonic - just like most of you guys, except that I ended up moving halfway across the country to work at the company and be involved with the games that I love.

I wanted to get in touch with you regarding the review you posted and the claim that you might post data you have live for others to see or play. Please hear me out here, as this is really important for both yourself and for SEGA as a company.

Knowing that you've created your own fan games from scratch, as a fellow developer, please understand that hundreds of people have put countless hours into making Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and we have even more work ahead of us. Putting this game live now - especially in its current state - would be a huge injustice to the hard work and long nights that so many of us have already spent on this. There are people here who pour their souls into what they do - and there's no doubt in my mind that as someone who also develops their own games, you've been there, too.

Losing something we've worked so hard for would be a massive blow to all of us. Those who developed the game, those who planned the game, those who continue to work, whether in marketing, or PD, or community - everyone. It would have huge consequences for us, and I know it wouldn't end on a good note for anyone.

As a fellow fan, and as an employee, I'd like to request that you please reconsider putting any data, images, or footage live if you do actually have code from the game. From every standpoint - and especially as someone who knows the kind of work our teams put in - I ask that you do not betray the months and months of work we've put in to get the game where it is.

Please feel free to get back in touch with me anytime - I'll be on most of the night, and will be happy to talk.

Thank you very much,

[~Edited to preserve the autor's identity~]

RubyEclipse

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=19076&view=findpost&p=413289

Hi Endri,

First, nice to meet you. I'm RubyEclipse, and a longtime fan of SEGA/Sonic - just like most of you guys, except that I ended up moving halfway across the country to work at the company and be involved with the games that I love.

I wanted to get in touch with you regarding the review you posted and the claim that you might post data you have live for others to see or play. Please hear me out here, as this is really important for both yourself and for SEGA as a company.

Knowing that you've created your own fan games from scratch, as a fellow developer, please understand that hundreds of people have put countless hours into making Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and we have even more work ahead of us. Putting this game live now - especially in its current state - would be a huge injustice to the hard work and long nights that so many of us have already spent on this. There are people here who pour their souls into what they do - and there's no doubt in my mind that as someone who also develops their own games, you've been there, too.

Losing something we've worked so hard for would be a massive blow to all of us. Those who developed the game, those who planned the game, those who continue to work, whether in marketing, or PD, or community - everyone. It would have huge consequences for us, and I know it wouldn't end on a good note for anyone.

As a fellow fan, and as an employee, I'd like to request that you please reconsider putting any data, images, or footage live if you do actually have code from the game. From every standpoint - and especially as someone who knows the kind of work our teams put in - I ask that you do not betray the months and months of work we've put in to get the game where it is.

Please feel free to get back in touch with me anytime - I'll be on most of the night, and will be happy to talk. smile.png

Thank you very much,

[~Edited to preserve the autor's identity~]

RubyEclipse

So he didn't get it through a contest or anything.

Hahahaha wow.

EDIT: Fuck. Ninja'd

Edited by May

I don't think the guy is going to post up proof at all if he values his job. I wouldn't post any information at all if I was in risk of being fired or have a possible lawsuit in my future. Still if he does give out any proof, I'd rather wait until I play a demo of the game.

Edit: Damn. If he did post anything now, everyone would bash his ass into a pulp.

Edited by knuxthechao

Why is this whole thing just reminding me of the time this guy said he knew the story to Unleashed, that Nack/ Fang, Chaos, and Tikal would return, along with Eggman turning into a walrus at the end. The guy said they'd have proof at the end of that week, and after that, we never heard from them again.

Yeah, kinda similar, except this time it's someone we know n' stuff, so I don't know what to think at the moment.

Knowing that you've created your own fan games from scratch, as a fellow developer, please understand that hundreds of people have put countless hours into making Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and we have even more work ahead of us.

Reread this over and over as it is the most important thing in the letter.

Endri clearly DIDN'T understand that more dev time was being done. "final product" my ass.

So he didn't get it through a contest or anything.

Hahahaha wow.

EDIT: Fuck. Ninja'd

You should know by now that no-one beats me to news lol! Just kidding ;)

Ruby seems like a very nice person, I really liked how calm he was with the warning. :)

Instead of being like "don't post it or we're firing and suing your ass bitch!"

Knowing that you've created your own fan games from scratch, as a fellow developer, please understand that hundreds of people have put countless hours into making Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and we have even more work ahead of us.

Reread this over and over as it is the most important thing in the letter.

Endri clearly DIDN'T understand that more dev time was being done. "final product" my ass.

Episode Two?

Ruby seems like a very nice person, I really liked how calm he was with the warning. :)

Instead of being like "don't post it or we're firing and suing your ass bitch!"

Yeah, if he would've sent a warning like that it would of made things even worse. *imagines scenario*

Ruby: "don't post it or we're firing and suing your ass bitch!"

Endri: *reads* *gasp* "Oh no yew de-int beyotch!" *posts*

Ruby's PM is the real thing.

Episode 1 you twit.

They didn't specify that it was episode 1, he just said "Sonic the Hedgehog 4".

And really, how much time would it take them to take this from SAdv2 HD to Sonic 4?

Edited by Phos

Ruby seems like a very nice person, eh really calm and doesn't afraid of anything...

Fix'd... lol. *epically shot*

Anywayz...

Wah, now we'll NEVER have confirmation on whether this was fake or not... Waahh!

(not like I wanted to see any "proof", it would spoil things ever more for me! :lol: )

I'm still uneasy about everything. Either Ruby's proactive, or Endri's very clever...

Edited by BlazingTales

Or an even better idea, if you have a 360, download the demo of it considering every XBLA game has one and gets released the same day as the game itself.

No, May. That's stupid! How could you ever suggest a sensible way to decide whether you buy a game or not?

They didn't specify that it was episode 1, they just said "Sonic the Hedgehog 4".

Ruby refers to "the game" as in "the game Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1", the one the Endri played.

Also:

Last line. The game "where it is" as in the current stage that episode 1 is in. And to think that "where it is" is the final build is silly.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Doctor Eggman, there are far too many contradictions here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Woh, major board rage there, dude.

Well look what happens every time. Listening to some of you lot winds up at the following.

"Oh it's just 3 seconds of gameplay"

"Oh it's just ten seconds of gameplay"

"Oh it's just a trailer"

"Oh it's just an alpha build"

"Oh it's just a demo"

Then when the final game comes out and sucks more dick than Monica Lewinsky, you know what you'll say?

"Oh maybe it'll be better in episode II"

fffuuu.gif

Meanwhile I'm out at least 40 bucks with a game I can't stand, and of course they get marked down like, the next day so I can't get a refund.

Can you honestly blame me fore being the slightest bit agitated at the fanbase as a whole?

So yeah, this time, I'm trying it at your expense. (you as in general person, no you specifically eggy ;) )

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just glad that Ruby contacted Endri in a very polite way because who knows what would have happened if the PM was threatening in any sort of way.

I'm not upset that we wont know if what Endri said was true, but I'm actually glad he didn't post anything coding wise about the game.

Ruby's PM is the real thing.

They didn't specify that it was episode 1, he just said "Sonic the Hedgehog 4".

And really, how much time would it take them to take this from SAdv2 HD to Sonic 4?

Didn't Endri specifically mention levels from Episode 1?

So what would be the first impression? Just saying that it should be obvious.

Edited by turbojet