Awoo.

Sonic 4 Playtested By Community Member

Slingerland

Our right to essentially WHINE about something is not prioritized over Sega's control over their own creation, or not risking their reputation and invalidating their program to promote the game. That is, yannow, part of the whole thing's BUDGET.

Ah, so its confirmed then.

So, som people doing it anyway means no one else need bother?

Take it down off of Sonic Retro, Sonic Stadium, and TSSZ, and you have a large portion of the fandom RIGHT THERE.

Which hasn't happened. At all.

If it's not being sold, it's unfinished.

They can also build hype. They can even turn out true!

While also invalidating the entire promotional budget, and giving the competition a view of the game long before they should ever be allowed to. This is like the "piracy increases sales" argument - horseshit.

Statements like this make me wonder if the only reason the bitching about the leaks is even happening is because the reaction to them have been overwhelmingly negative. If everyone was writing flowery reviews of happiness towards the leaks, would this have even been brought up?

Yes.

Yes I would.

So, som people doing it anyway means no one else need bother?

Take it down off of Sonic Retro, Sonic Stadium, and TSSZ, and you have a large portion of the fandom RIGHT THERE.

Do you actually think those three sites represent even 5% of the whole fandom?

• Thumbs Up 1

Statements like this make me wonder if the only reason the bitching about the leaks is even happening is because the reaction to them have been overwhelmingly negative. If everyone was writing flowery reviews of happiness towards the leaks, would this have even been brought up? Considering about half of the news threads in the Video Game forum are pretty much rumours only, I'm gonna say no.

On the contrary. I like what I’ve seen so far, if what we see is true then I will welcome it with open arms. However, I still have some misgiving about the nature of this image… it just seems off somehow. Like it was comprised of both real and fake information; hypothetically culled from the one real announcement trailer we have of Sonic 4. After all, as any spin doctor will tell you, the best lies always have an element of truth to them. Even so, I think we need to look at what is happening, if true, as an illegal act. Someone has stolen part of the game, they will cause much havoc by showing of an unfinished product you and I were never meant to see.

Edited by Kintor
  • Thumbs Up 1

They could, but at the same time the information still hasn't disappeared, anyone out there who wanted to find it could.....and people who wanted to discuss it could just move to wherever they were allowed or make there own place.

Plus I'm not entirely convinced it's the fans' jobs to keep Sega's information under wraps.

Plus I'm not entirely convinced it's the fans' jobs to keep Sega's information under wraps.

Perhaps, however that does not mean we have to condone these leaks when we see them. If anything Endri has revealed is true then he has broken the law; he has stolen part of the game and potentially jeopardised the whole project in the process. This is the sort of breach of NDA that get’s people fired. Not to meant how little respect this shows for the developers. The same developers I might add that are working on a game which is been demanded by many fans, this is Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Of course, this could all just be one hideous rumour, made palatable through careful application of what Sega has really shown us. Either way I think this is betrayal of all the good will Sega has been directing toward the fanbase. They are the ones who decided to make Sonic 4 and involve us the fans so thoroughly. I don’t see why it should be so hard to wait for the next trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t see why it should be so hard to wait for the next trailer.

.....because they're fans and excited as fuck XP

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't Sega ever go through a few months without leaking shit about the newest Sonic game? Frankly, if Sega's ending up letting this much info get loose before the game's release, then serves them right.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

With all due respect, that sounds dangerously close to the "the victim is at fault for not protecting themself well enough" way of thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually it's more like "it's your fault you lost your credit card due to leaving it on top of your car hood".

• Thumbs Up 4

Can't Sega ever go through a few months without leaking shit about the newest Sonic game? Frankly, if Sega's ending up letting this much info get loose before the game's release, then serves them right.

Sega did go a very long time before anything was revealed. All the way through the ‘Project Needlemouse’ period not a single thing was lost to the outside world. Back then we didn’t even that this game was going to be Sonic 4. It is also possible that nothing has been lost even now, assuming that this rumour remains just that – a rumour. Still Jake, I must question why you would endorse the theft of Sega’s property, a criminal act no less. It’s not good for either Sega or this fanbase, it is a breach of the trust that made Sonic 4 possible in the first place.

Edited by Kintor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still Jake, I must question why you would endorse the theft of Sega’s property, a criminal act no less. It’s not good for either Sega or this fanbase, it is a breach of the trust that made Sonic 4 possible in the first place.

Theft, huh? I honestly cannot expect people to simply turn a blind eye to any information that's leaked. It's too late, it's out there, and people are going to discuss it. Too bad for Sega, so the only solution is for them to tighten their security in the future.

I can understand moderating public distribution on, say, an alpha build, but even we can't prevent people from talking about that, let alone screenshots. Anything else can just bawwww more.

• Thumbs Up 2

Theft, huh? I honestly cannot expect people to simply turn a blind eye to any information that's leaked. It's too late, it's out there, and people are going to discuss it. Too bad for Sega, so the only solution is for them to tighten their security in the future.

I can understand moderating public distribution on, say, an alpha build, but even we can't prevent people from talking about that, let alone screenshots. Anything else can just bawwww more.

No, you were saying that it is right for people to steal from Sega and other developers. That the crime itself can be annulled if the culprit got away with it! Don’t think for a second that this stolen information performs some sort of public good. By doing such a thing you are showing complete disrespect to the developers, both the ones working on Sonic 4 now and those that have worked on previous Sonic games. Games need time to develop, with footage released only when it is ready to be seen. If false, this rumour causes nothing but trouble, causing confusion and misdirecting people from the focus that Sega wants for this game, preventing solid information from getting the exposure it deserves. Sega has worked hard to evolve the community within the release of Sonic 4, don’t be so quick to spit in the face of this opportunity and Sega’s good will. So yes, whether this rumour is a theft or a falsehood, it is wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stop putting words in my mouth. My point is is that if Sega doesn't want this to be leaked, then they need tighter security, and you're blaming the community for actually talking about it. There's no use for me to argue about the ethics of this, so rest assured that unless the game itself is posted, I will proudly do nothing to prevent the circulation of information surrounding this game.

Actually it's more like "it's your fault you lost your credit card due to leaving it on top of your car hood".

lol I love you XD

Considering these leaks are like the main topic of discussion everywhere, I'd say more of the fanbase is in favor of being able to talk about things that are.....you know, out there already and won't magically disappear.

If you're the hottest girl you can't leave naked pics on the table, and then wonder why everyone is wanking over them rather then respectfully turning away <=3

• Thumbs Up 3

And don't expect me to give them back either... PELLY.

(ooh SSMB staff shipteasing!!)

Just don't let anyone know that I'm really a futanari <3 - Pelly

• Thumbs Up 1

Stop putting words in my mouth. My point is is that if Sega doesn't want this to be leaked, then they need tighter security, and you're blaming the community for actually talking about it. There's no use for me to argue about the ethics of this, so rest assured that unless the game itself is posted, I will proudly do nothing to prevent the circulation of information surrounding this game.

No defence is invincible, leaks may still occur, especially if someone is actively trying to steal the game. Even so, I think it wrong to defend people who are for all intensive purposes trying to ruin the game. No game should be shown before it is ready; this goes for Sonic 4 as well. If you care about this game at all I think you should give it the chance it deserves, this means waiting for proper footage released by Sega. Also, I maintain that at this point, none of what you have seen ‘leaked’ may be true at all. If you truly want to understand this game, such rumours should be debunked as soon as possible – not encouraged.

So it sounds to me like you wouldn't be so mad if the reaction to the leaks wouldn't have been so negative?

Actually, I wouldn’t call the reaction entirely negative at all. Many people seem genuinely fond of what has been ‘leaked’ within that image. However, I am not convinced that the image is entirely real, I think it may contain both real and fake footage; with the real images stolen from the announcement trailers. So, as far as Sonic 4 is concerned I’m quite happy with what I see. Having something stolen does not make it any less beautiful when returned. However, I can’t endorse this sort of rumour mongering in the slightest. For the reasons I have stated many times in this thread, it is wrong. Some one may be lying about the whole thing, the fanbase has been cheated and Sega is confused. Alternatively, someone stole part of Sonic 4, Sega has been cheated and the fanbase is confused. Either way, this is not good. If true, I’m not against the message; I’m against the unethical means by which this message was obtained.

Edited by Kintor

So... if the leaked material is actually fake, and is just a rumor...

Then what's the problem.

This is not the celebrity entertainment industry; there's nothing Sega has to do about these rumors, let alone pay attention to them. Should Nintendo do something about all those fake Pokémon that circulate whenever a new generation is announced? Why waste effort on a cause so petty as rumors? Who cares? Nobody with a proper sense of priority, anyway.

As I’ve already said a few times before, rumours can be very damaging. If the rumour is a negative one, people will get riled up for no good. Never mind the hapless develop who did nothing wrong, they must now go into damage control over some half baked story cooked up in a random corner of the internet. I also think that rumours are unfair on the fanbase, so much enjoy gets wasted on fanciful tales, when we could be talking about the actual game. Never mind that angry and sinking feeling people tend to get when they realise they’ve been had. Right now, I’m interested in the truth above all. I think that rumours should be debunked on principle, even if that rumour turns out to be a cheerful one.

You know how I leaked stuff from the Sonic 4 website? I typed "/assets" after "sonicthehedgehog4.com." It was that easy. Wow, I'm such a thief for them hiding it in an easily guessable folder. Everything I've read from you Kintor doesn't make any sense, really. Besides, if SEGA has a problem with what we put up, we take it down.

Why waste effort on a cause so petty as rumors? Who cares? Nobody with a proper sense of priority, anyway.

^Dat.

when we could be talking about the actual game.

What game? All three seconds of the released footage and concept art of plants? Exciting discussion. :P

Have fun in your crusade against rumors. Let me be the first to tell you that it's a futile one. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1

You know how I leaked stuff from the Sonic 4 website? I typed "/assets" after "sonicthehedgehog4.com." It was that easy. Wow, I'm such a thief for them hiding it in an easily guessable folder. Everything I've read from you Kintor doesn't make any sense, really. Besides, if SEGA has a problem with what we put up, we take it down.

^Dat.

What game? All three seconds of the released footage and concept art of plants? Exciting discussion. :P

Have fun in your crusade against rumors. Let me be the first to tell you that it's a futile one. :rolleyes:

No, Slingerland I’m not talking about a hypothetical scenario. What we may have here is very serious. Sonic 4, possibly the full game, may have been stolen. This act in itself is certainly a breech of Sega’s NDA. If discovered who ever took that information would surely be fired – at the very least, Sega is within their right to do such a thing. Stolen information is harmful to all involved: The one who commented the crime, for obvious reasons. Sega themselves, the game is revealed before it is ready, Sonic 4 does not deserve this sort of treatment. The fanbase is also affect, this fiasco betrays Sega’s trust, they created Sonic 4 at the fans request; it seems awfully foolish to disrespect a genuine effort to please this fanbase. Of course, if this is all a hoax the in must be revealed as such, I don’t think anyone wants to caught perpetuating a lie.

Edited by Kintor
  • Thumbs Up 1