Awoo.

Sonic 4 Playtested By Community Member

Slingerland

A bit late to the party, but even though I don't really care to see anymore leaked footage, I'm actually a bit dissapointed that we won't know whether this guy was lying or not. But whatever, this is the best way to end this mess for everyone. The guy won't get fired (assuming he was telling the truth), SEGA won't have another leak on their hands, and the fans... well, we'll just have to wait for more information like the way SEGA intended. ;)

A bit late to the party, but even though I don't really care to see anymore leaked footage, I'm actually a bit dissapointed that we won't know whether this guy was lying or not. But whatever, this is the best way to end this mess for everyone. The guy won't get fired (assuming he was telling the truth), SEGA won't have another leak on their hands, and the fans... well, we'll just have to wait for more information like the way SEGA intended. ;)

But does it matter? The point at lot of people seem to be missing is that any impressions this guy makes, real or not, is based on a really early build, which most likely will not reflect what the final product will be like for a game that still has about 6 more months of development time.

Seriously, you guys need to find another game to distract yourselves. July is still a good ways off.

But does it matter? The point at lot of people seem to be missing is that any impressions this guy makes, real or not, is based on a really early build, which most likely will not reflect what the final product will be like for a game that still has about 6 more months of development time.

Seriously, you guys need to find another game to distract yourselves. July is still a good ways off.

Yeah, it didn't really matter, but it still would have been kinda interesting to know if he was telling the truth. Kinda like watching a TV show and seeing how it unfolds. :P

See this is what I really don't understand.

Why did Endri say that the build he played was the FINAL build, already sent off to Microsoft for approval?

I mean, he MUST have been lying about that right?

I'll have Pokemon Heart Gold in march, so that should tide me over...Ok I'll probably forget that Sonic 4 even exists once Pkmn HG is out, as I'll be playing 24/7...

But yeah, July kinda is a ways off though...

Why did Endri say that the build he played was the FINAL build, already sent off to Microsoft for approval?

Well obviously he's telling the truth. Game companies always holds games 6 months after they're completely finished and play tested before releasing them to the public.

Ok, so I don't really post on here as often as I used to, but I feel like I should bring this up.

It was stated that the game was sent to get a content rating, correct? Well, if you look at the beginning of the Sonic 4 launch trailer:

eforeveryone.png

I'm not trying to say that Endri is a liar or anything (I'm actually pretty neutral on this), but this is just something that I thought should be brought up.

Well obviously he's telling the truth. Game companies always holds games 6 months after they're completely finished and play tested before releasing them to the public.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious.

:|

^Mike: Does that mean the game has already been rated?

Edited by 220

Ok, so I don't really post on here as often as I used to, but I feel like I should bring this up.

It was stated that the game was sent to get a content rating, correct? Well, if you look at the beginning of the Sonic 4 launch trailer:

I brought that up when the footage was first revealed, and yeah, it looks like it's already been given a rating, but it makes sense when you factor in what Yong just said about game companies having virtually finished games for six months, 'never really thought about that.

It also brings into question just how "finished" the game actually is.

No, he's yanking your chain. His early post on this page should show he's not serious.

I'll add the sarcasm tag next time. Unless game companies' policies have changed in the last few months.

Well I would think so, considering SEGA put that in their official announcement trailer for the game. :P Otherwise it would just have the "RP" instead of "E".

Edited by mikeblastdude

I'm pretty sure some games have been rated almost a year before they came out. Do you guys, who argue that Sonic 4 is done, really believe a company would sit on a finished game for a year?

Edited by Lucas

He could have just assumed the worst... or, like I said before, used poor diction. Or, could just be the language barrier.... maybe?

Idk, but I ain't ruling out anything yet. I just don't wanna assume the worst about anyone. I think the dude got enough of a spanking from Ruby (however pleasant it might have sounded), so.... I say let it go. For now.

Edited by EXshad

You might not be seeing anything, but don't think that Endri is lying.

Endri does work for a game localization company in Brazil. Before, he has leaked copies of "Silent Hill: Shattered Memories" for the Wii and "Tekken 6." He is the first one into his shift and is able to pull that kind of shit. I've seen these leaks, since, uh... I know him. So have a lot of people. Ruby sent him the C&D and he shit his pants. So, we won't be seeing anything from him.

At this point, 5 months outside release, the game is going to be nearly done. The downloable/iPhone game world has development cycles of 6 months to a year.

The momentum based gameplay was what I was talking about the entire first place

The first Bubsy game used momentum-based physics, and no one confused it with Sonic 2.

Except a classic Sonic platformer and what the media/fans think a classic sonic platformer is are two things entirely. Sega answered just answered the latter. And according to the latter, Sonic only and Robotnik only, classic environments/Special Zones, classic music and of course 2D, constitute classic.

I've seen professional editorials that specifically mention gameplay elements that need to be in Sonic 4 for it to be acceptable that were not in the later Advance titles or the Rush games, even directly referencing how they were absent in said games. I really don't think Sega would be able pull the wool over people's eyes, and I really don't think the game will be able to get away with the stupid shit that Advance 3 and Rush got away with.

Incidentally, there was a time when the media/fans were demaning a console version of Rush/Advance 2.

There is nothing wrong inherently with this sentiment. The first Rush was junk, of course, but the base concept of the Rush series is not; so a console game would be perfectly fine.

already sent off to Microsoft for approval?

XBLA games are always sent in months before they are finished.

Not targeting you specifically, but simply bringing it up again before anyone else comments on it.

Edited by Tornado

I just wish they'd release more media.

I know right? I can't wait for that nuclear holocaust.

The game is clearly still in development, sending an early version for approval is expected but for Sega to just sit on their thumbs with a "final" version waiting for a more profitable summer release is bull. Also as an episodic game it's going to remain in development until all episodes are released. Either Endri was unclear about the "final" version or Sega is attempting to out-Capcom Capcom.

Edited by Dat Kool Bat Guy

The game is clearly still in development, sending an early version for approval is expected but for Sega to just sit on their thumbs with a "final" version waiting for a more profitable summer release is bull. Also as an episodic game it's going to remain in development until all episodes are released. Either Endri was unclear about the "final" version or Sega is attempting to out-Capcom Capcom.

The game is ONLY 5 months out. It is not "early" in development.

The game is rated by the ESRB, too!

The game is ONLY 5 months out. It is not "early" in development.
5 months is a pretty long time dude

I agree that it's not early in development, but I don't believe that it's finished, either.

The more I look at the leaked video, the more I don't see Advance 2 styled level design, and more leaning towards the style of Sadv1. However, the gameplay still looks wonky but only because of the player spamming the jump button (like he's actually testing for bugs).

The more I see these things, the less I believe in what has been said from Endri. I mean, yeah, he could be telling the cold hard facts, but then again there is still the chance he's just trollin'. I mean I know the guy, he's pretty cool and all, but I haven't known him well enough to tell the way he acts.

5 months is a pretty long time dude

I agree that it's not early in development, but I don't believe that it's finished, either.

Yeah like with SaSASR; last time I checked everything information-wise has been at Microsoft/etc. for a while, but they were still tweaking the game. And that was in.. erm, January? As in, last month?

I think Sega is still working on it as of right now. Why wouldn't they?

Edited by Azukara

By the way, Adv2 and Rush already have a console version if anyone was paying attention to Sonic Unleashed. This one's supposed to be a different type of game. I enjoy those games, it shows how Sonic can be fun in new ways. What would be disappointing is if they forgot what made him great to begin with.

As for Endri, I can't be sure if what he's got is accurate, because he's still one guy. I do believe him, since others do. I'll just wait for the next gameplay vid.

The ERSB rating just suggests that SEGA has already made all the content in the game and there won't be any major tweaks to the content in the game. Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing was reviewed by the ERSB a while ago but SUMO stayed very late into development tweaking the game. This goes for a lot of companies.

An ERSB rating does not need to be based on the final build in the game, it needs to be based on a build of a game that has the complete content. Lets say I was making a game, a random platformer. If I made all the sprites and pieces for the game, and showed them EVERYTHING which was going to be in the game, show them there was no mature content in the game, concept art, fill out that this is the game's content, no blood or gore, or nudity, or swear words, and the amount of violence and the likes... THAT will be rated by the ERSB. I could have programed zero shit yet but get all the assets of the game ready, I already have the stage themes, level pieces, and game content, the only thin I need to do is work on the physics, fix issues, fix mechanics, I could even go and change level design around as long as I didn't add new content to the stages. If I add a few more bushes or trees, change around where platforms are located and paths, and stuff like that, THAT is not going to need to be rereviewed, the ERSB works off how mature the content in a game is, not how the levels are designed or how the physics of the game work. Those aren't affecting how mature the game is, so those don't need to be reviewed. If Sonic jumps like he is on the moon and the developers fix it to where he jumps much more realistically, that doesn't add any more or less mature content to the game, and as such ERSB doesn't need to rereview it.

Also the final thing is perception on views. You want to know something? I can't believe no one has said this:

When have Sonic fans ever agreed on something?

Sonic fans never agree on how the games play. Some say Sonic Advance is NOTHING like the Genesis games, some thing they are a lot like them. Some think Sonic Adventure is a lot like the Genesis games, others think it was crappy new design. Some thing Sonic Adventure 2 was too linear, some think Sonic Adventure 2 was one of the most open-ended Sonic games. Some think Sonic Heroes is the 3D title most like the Genesis games, some think Sonic Heroes was too much like...Get this... ADVANCE 2. My point being.,. How do we know this view is going to be our personal view on the game? How do we know, assuming he is telling the truth, with his limited time on the game and not having time to really play it going in and out he had enough time to actually get a feel for the game, and the thing that stood out the most was the bad physics, which mind you, could be in development.

To all the people who think it is done in development and the 5 months are spare time, THAT is assuming. To all the people who think they have time to fix these issues, THAT is assuming. We can assume all we want, but in the end you know what they say? Assuming makes an ass out of you and me, and I can tell you I have seen a lot of asses on both side. Myself included, of course. We'll be getting way more impressions on the game as it comes a long, lets see what stays consistent, stay critical if you are critical, but stay optimistic if you are optimistic. This is not the end of things, but the beginnings really. This is some of the first stuff we really have heard. Lets see how SEGA plays their cards.

Edited by blackarms
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1