Awoo.

Sonic 4 Playtested By Community Member

Slingerland

Not to mention that promotion costs a big chunk of change, and if stuff like this is leaked, then all of that is rendered invalid.

Oh boohoo. Not my NDA.

Not Microsoft's "incompetence" either. how many other XBLA games have had their image ruinined by partnernet? None? lol

I guess I'm a horrible person for being happy that we got a leak that actually showed a decent amount of the game in motion. I hate cock teasing bullshit and Sega were really pushing it with bush and tree art. I'm still waiting for them to show a real damn trailer already. Any chance they might at GDC Next week?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, NOW people are complaining about people leaking FTP stuff? When the leaks make the game look bad as opposed to good, people suddenly pull out the moral card? Are you serious?

Jeez, this whole shebang is just silly. Especially considering this is the freakn' internet. Expecting a lack of conversation about major leaks and linking to said leaks, on the internet?

TOO BAD, WALUIGI TIME.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 3

daimon, you must follow SEGA's perfectly planned hype cycle... and examine the latest drawings of bushes, not leaks!

• Sonic News

Oh boohoo. Not my NDA.

Not Microsoft's "incompetence" either. how many other XBLA games have had their image ruinined by partnernet? None? lol

All I'm doing is telling you why it's such a serious problem. Whether you care about it or not is not my concern.

And yes, it is Microsoft's "incompetence". I don't understand why everyone is so determined to throw every bit of blame on SEGA when they don't even control the service.

How many XBLA games have the sort of fanbase that Sonic has? None? Exactly. Sonic 4 is the most high profile original title to ever land on the service, and leaks and other security breaches from the service are, apparently, quite common. The thing is, none of these other games are really on the same level as...well, Sonic 4.

Also note how none of these leaks have come from PSN or WiiWare ;).

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 4 is the most high profile original title to ever land on the service,

Uh... No? Why the hell would you say this?

Sonic 4 is only one of many downloadable games to ride the retro fad that Mega Man 9 started (and man, did that game make people take notice), and then there's games like Shadow Complex. The only reason Mega Man 9 didn't get this much leakage is because, 1) Capcom are actually competant with keeping things secret, 2) Capcom aren't cock-teases, and 3) the fans were actually reasonably confident that Capcom wouldn't fuck it up and aren't nearly as obsessed as Sonic fans are. The only reason Sonic 4 is actually notable in the first place is because, well, it's a 2D console Sonic game where Sega are desperately trying to win over the fans and the critics with a good game that isn't on a handheld.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

How many XBLA games have the sort of fanbase that Sonic has? None? Exactly. Sonic 4 is the most high profile original title to ever land on the service, and leaks and other security breaches from the service are, apparently, quite common. The thing is, none of these other games are really on the same level as...well, Sonic 4.

Capcom released two major games in 2008 and one last year on the service, none of which were any less high profile. And despite this, none of them ever had any PartnerNET leaks.

Edited by Tornado

• Sonic News

lol, sorry guys, but I fail to see how Megaman could really be considered bigger. Megaman is big, but he was NEVER bigger then Sonic, and last I checked hasn't really had a major retail release in years. He still gets games, but they don't have legs like Sonic games do. Just because is started what hopefully ISN'T a fad, doesn't change that.

Street Fighter 2 HD, one could make an argument for, as the Street Fighter franchise is still HUGE, but then again, that was just another remake, not a completely new game like Sonic 4 is. Whats gonnna be so great about leaks from a game people have, basically, already played 15 years before hand.

So.....yeah, I'd still say Sonic 4 was one the biggest original game released on the service. I mean, theres still some subjectivity involved here, but its at least pretty high up there.

And before anyone replies to this....I wasn't trying to start an argument when I said leaks happen on the service, and it's MS's fault. I was stating a fact. Read this:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/02/why_partnernet_is_a_pr_nightma.php

Not. Sega's. Fault.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only reason Mega Man 9 didn't get this much leakage is because,1) Capcom are actually competant with keeping things secret, 2) Capcom aren't cock-teases, and 3) the fans were actually reasonably confident that Capcom wouldn't fuck it up and aren't nearly as obsessed as Sonic fans are. The only reason Sonic 4 is actually notable in the first place is because, well, it's a 2D console Sonic game where Sega are desperately trying to win over the fans and the critics with a good game that isn't on a handheld.

Didn't Megaman 9 come to existance because Capcom was fucking up with Star Force and Battle Network? Devil May Cry 2 led to Devil May Cry 3 being a return to roots. Hell, Resident Evil 5 is a huge What the Hell, Capcom for fans bitching that it's no longer a survival horror. Then we have the remake to Mushashi. In otherwords, they can fuck up just as much as Sega if not more. And trust me. Megaman fans are just as every little bit as rabid as Sonic fans especially when talking about Battle Network.

And before anyone replies to this....I wasn't trying to start an argument when I said leaks happen on the service, and it's MS's fault. I was stating a fact. Read this:

http://www.gamesetwa..._pr_nightma.php

Not. Sega's. Fault.

Somebody already posted that and the same people disputing you already read it. They just don't care. In their minds, Sega is incompetent.

Edited by turbojet

ok after watching the leaked video over and over and over to get see what it like im not sure if anyone has noticed this Endri might off seen it but not told anyone else besides his buddys at retro but iv noicted something in the video that what was seen in Sonic Unleashed for the homing attack The Lock On system for Badniks and Springs .....here a image from the video when i saw it

Sonic4SplashHillZoneHomingAttackLoc.jpg

(sorry if this post is in the wrong topic or someone has already took notice of this lock on thing)

Edited by Crash And Burn Like 1976

• Sonic News

Somebody already posted that and the same people disputing you already read it. They just don't care. In their minds, Sega is incompetent.

Hmm, didn't know that. Well, as a SEGA fan, I was just trying to defend the company thats been giving me my favorite games over the years :D.

• Thumbs Up 3

homing attack The Lock On system for Badniks and Springs

It has been talked about before when the video leaked. You can see it in the beginning on a Motobug as well.

Not to mention that promotion costs a big chunk of change, and if stuff like this is leaked, then all of that is rendered invalid.

How exactly? Because people will actually know how crappy the game is in spite of the best efforts of Sega's PR guys?

Homing attack has lock on cursors? FFFFFF, maybe some people don't mind, but I can't stand things like that. Why can't they go back to the homing attack being accurate enough to not need a symbol cluttering up the screen, like before SatSR? If it were up to me, the time, number of rings and lives, and score would auto hide after a while. I can't even stand mini-maps on most games.

• Sonic News

lol, homing attack was never 100% accurate. Personally, I think the indicator is helpful in letting me know what's gonna happen when I press the jump button again...

The homing attack indicator should have been there from the beginning, I don't know why it took them so long to implement.

How exactly? Because people will actually know how crappy the game is in spite of the best efforts of Sega's PR guys?

Last I checked, people judge a game on how "crappy" it is after they play it. Not based on an alpha vid and the personal opinion of someone who played it over a beta-testing service and (illegally) leaked it. ;)

....though I concede, this is Sonic Team we're talking about here, and at this point, given their recent track record, I say they'd be viable to fuck up a port of Tetris.

Edited by EXshad

I guess I'm a horrible person for being happy that we got a leak that actually showed a decent amount of the game in motion. I hate cock teasing bullshit and Sega were really pushing it with bush and tree art. I'm still waiting for them to show a real damn trailer already. Any chance they might at GDC Next week?

Why do companies promote their game by using ambiguous updates? Is there a science behind it? This whole Needlemouse stint reminds me of the time when the new Metal Gear games were announced. I want to see a trailer too.

Edited by Light

Why do companies promote their game by using ambiguous updates? Is there a science behind it? This whole Needlemouse stint reminds me of the time when the new Metal Gear games were announced. I want to see a trailer too.

There actually is, showing cryptic, microscopic bits of info gets people interested and allows them to go wild with wishful thinking and crackpot theories of what will be to fill the void. And with the worldwide community of the internet it becomes a massive katamari of speculation that builds more free hype than just revealing everything at first.

Edited by Dat Kool Bat Guy

Last I checked, people judge a game on how "crappy" it is after they play it. Not based on an alpha vid and the personal opinion of someone who played it over a beta-testing service and (illegally) leaked it. ;)

I think Phos was joking a bit.

No.

Because they planned this stuff in advance, and because promotion is good sense.

Hey, let's never invest in movie trailers! Just wait for it to leak to the internet. THAT'S THE TICKET.

I don't think the homing attack indicator is needed. I usually knew were I was going anyways.

I dont mean to be rude I really dont, I'm just wondering why we're still discussing this Endri thing?

• Thumbs Up 1