Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

I'm playing Frontiers and I'm linda shocked of How well Sonic controle in the open World and How bad he controls in cyber space

Alright, so he’s shitty in Cyberspace, that’s for certain. Can you at least control him like pre Forces, or does he snap to the center space while still being stiff like Forces or is it some new unimaginable garbage?

30 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Alright, so he’s shitty in Cyberspace, that’s for certain. Can you at least control him like pre Forces, or does he snap to the center space while still being stiff like Forces or is it some new unimaginable garbage?

I think it's a little worse than Forces. But the open zones controls are so good and feels like an Adventure game. The câmera is bad sometimes, though

• Thumbs Up 1

Good looking out. Yea I never really doubted Sonic moved smoothly in the open zone areas. He always looked surprisingly up to snuff even for the base controls, but it was the Cyberspace stages that I was always worried about. And it can not be tweaked at all, right? It's weird how it's the first thing they throw you into and then the majority of the game pretty much plays nothing like it.

So while everyone is talking about the story and gameplay, has anyone heard the vocal tracks? I have no idea what they were thinking but I love it and going that hard was very overdue.

I'm playing it now. Really enjoying it so far, Switch version actually is pretty competently made, that stream compression hurt it somewhat.

Oh, and restarting Cyberspace levels doesn't restart the music like in older modern games, hallelujah. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So I'm playing the game right now on xbox and one thing about I love about the game so far is the control sonic feels so to move around in the open zone areas.

• Thumbs Up 1

I usually never complain about strict S Rank requirements in Sonic, but I'm almost convinced this one wasn't playtested.

image.thumb.png.bb2e57fe9d74166b0c3333989329cd14.png

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I usually never complain about strict S Rank requirements in Sonic, but I'm almost convinced this one wasn't playtested.

image.thumb.png.bb2e57fe9d74166b0c3333989329cd14.png

Alpharad's youtube video actually mentions him having brought it up to the staff.

Wow cool they're doing the thing I absolutely didn't want them to do.

Cool cool cool cool cool.

19 minutes ago, MetKey said:

Some of those "Egg Memos" that can be bought on Big's store got leaked. Heavy spoilers ahead

Hide contents

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

"Oh hey, it's a thing I recognize!"

That's what a lot of these feel like to me, at least. But I guess it's cool that these are getting mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Wow cool they're doing the thing I absolutely didn't want them to do.

Cool cool cool cool cool.

Could you clarify? 

re: Egg Memo 16

Spoiler

Eggman's getting attached to Sage.

He's totally gonna start viewing her as a daughter. I hope the game focuses a lot on their relationship, and - judging by the "Family Born of Love" song - I'm sure we'll get a fair bit of that.

re: Egg Memo 17

Spoiler

Eggman mentioning his childhood for the first time since SA2, I believe? Also talking about Maria at all for the first time ever.

Plus all the continuity references in the others. I'm super excited. The frigging optional side-lore is getting me excited.

I need this game yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

re: Egg Memo 16

Reveal hidden contents

Eggman's getting attached to Sage.

He's totally gonna start viewing her as a daughter. I hope the game focuses a lot on their relationship, and - judging by the "Family Born of Love" song - I'm sure we'll get a fair bit of that.

re: Egg Memo 17

Reveal hidden contents

Eggman mentioning his childhood for the first time since SA2, I believe? Also talking about Maria at all for the first time ever.

Plus all the continuity references in the others. I'm super excited. The frigging optional side-lore is getting me excited.

I need this game yesterday.

How does one get those Egg Memos normally if not from the shop?

11 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Could you clarify? 

Memo 11.

Spoiler

The past-kocos don't just look like Chaos 0, they are Chaoses. A whole civilization of Chaos 0s, smart enough to create cyberspace, possibly fundamentally connected to the emeralds. We're primed to shit all over Sonic Adventure's story in the name of Deep Lore. I ranted about it in a spoiler box a few pages back.

This might really be overthinking things, but whatever

I saw one of the streamers going through Kronos Island and saw him popup an incomplete island select with faded artwork for the islands he hasn't been too yet

dR94Uoy.png

I can recognize what looks like the volcano from Chaos Island in the middle picture, so I guess these are two small previews for the last two islands? If you can make out anything from them.

Played the game for about an hour and a half on a Switch emulator.

- Controls are pretty good. I can already see reviewers going "this is the first time Sonic's felt good to control in 3D!!". It won't be true, considering the SA games will still have them trumped, but it's not like the public remembers how they played that much. Either way, not bad controls-wise at all. The button placement is odd, but I suppose if I wanted I could play around with that. Drop Dashing is fun. Boosting feels weighty and satisfying for the first time ever. Movement feels precise. Not bad, not bad.

- Level design is better in practice than it is in execution, interestingly. It's still dumb that they decided to put most of the actual gameplay above and around the map rather than on it, but I'm glad it's there at all. Some of what they ask of you is a little more than past boost games; getting the timing right on some homing chains and gaps to boost over is less brainless than Colors or Forces. Not as involved as Unleashed or Generations, but whatever.

- Combat is hit or miss. You probably expected a "fuck this" from Mr. I Hate Combat In Sonic, and I'm almost inclined to still say that because damn it shouldn't be here LOL, but I at least appreciate that we're designing enemies that I gotta navigate around a little in between the mindless mashing. I like fighting the titans surprisingly more than the mid-size enemies. I guess I feel more inclined to be okay with button mashing on enemies that are clearly boss material. Eh. Hopefully this doesn't get unbearable. Not faithful in that, but we'll see.

- Gameplay loop isn't so bad so far; with the keys and the emeralds and all that. I kinda like what they have going on, and I think the ranking system in the cyberspace levels is pretty nice; reminds me of a refined version of how missions worked in SA1. There's a chance I'll grow tired of how the gameplay cycle works; but it seems like it could be decent.

- Visuals are ugly but I've already said that to the moon and back. Game on Switch looks horrendous, like Legends Arceus-tier. I've encountered a lot of visual glitches, but that's the emulators for you and not the game itself. TBH the weird rainbow-effect it left on some things made a few of the titans look more visually interesting than they're supposed to, haha. This game will definitely look better on the non-Switch consoles and PC, but I can't say the game overall is much of a looker. If the artistic integrity here was to look really dull and dour, they nailed it. Which considering the tone, I guess it was. Eh..

- The overall story I'm seeing in spoilers sounds interesting, but the cutscenes so far are pretty boring, beyond the altercations with Sage and her pet I'm naming Big Ass Dude. Guess it's too early to judge that yet.

Overall.. it's okay so far. I didn't get to progress much since the Switch emu kept crashing and locking up (brb, downloading more RAM..). I'll pick up the Steam version, probably.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Memo 11.

Hide contents

The past-kocos don't just look like Chaos 0, they are Chaoses. A whole civilization of Chaos 0s, smart enough to create cyberspace, possibly fundamentally connected to the emeralds. We're primed to shit all over Sonic Adventure's story in the name of Deep Lore. I ranted about it in a spoiler box a few pages back.

I suppose opinions are going to vary on lore expansion handling, but...

Spoiler

...how exactly does this take anything away from Sonic Adventure's story? From the little I just read it seems primed to expand on a few fundamentals we were introduced to in SA1 without breaking anything.

In "game canon" we know barely anything about the Floating Island (Angel Island), Chaos, the Chao, and where the emeralds actually came from etc... it's all just mystical mc'guffin that serves as fodder to help push the narrative along or act as world building environments in SA1. As far as we know Chaos is/was an Ancient being who protects the Chao and and the emerald/s for unknown reasons.

Additional knowledge behind who Chaos is and learning about their race doesn't change SA1's story, it expands the entire world of Sonic in a whole new connective way. The fact that this is being revisited almost 20 years later is frankly... ambitious, especially if this is supposed to be a "jumping on point" for new Sonic fans. 

...that being said, if you don't like it then that's fair enough. I was more curious on whether it was Sonic Team / Ian Flynn expanding on that side of things that irked you, or if it was the actual story/lore content they're telling that reads as bad fan fiction. 

One change to the controls I'm a super big fan of is having the homing attack mapped to a button separate from the jump button. Was pretty skeptical about it at first given how it went down in Unleashed, but it feels good when its not tied to something that sends you flying like in that game. Being able to pick between whether I wanna do a homing attack or a double jump is really nice, and I really like doing grounded homing attacks on top of that too. My only complaint with it is that I wish that you could use either the jump button or the homing attack button for certain context sensitive actions like jumping off vertical bar, having to switch between the two for that feels kinda finicky.

• Thumbs Up 3

The interactions between characters some user on Era posted are legit. Like real legit. They fucking redeemed Tails for good. It's like a -well deserved- middle finger to Pontaff.

To give you an idea, they reference Tikal and the flashbacks from SA1, Cream and Sticks, and name drop a bunch of places from Sonic's world. Which was something I really wanted from the very beggining. Nice.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2