Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Sonic Team: "....what's so funny?"

Hide contents

From the ResetEra leaks thread, this is Seven Force's 100% completion photo, and, uh.... :V

mt8lUA8.jpg

And by their own admission, there's apparently no additional/postgame content for completing the main campaign/story or completing all of the island challenges.

Spoiler

This is actually fucking sad lmfao how could they advertise five islands and have three of them either look the same or downright be the same. No postgame content either are you fucking kidding me. 

Honestly the more I see, the more I suspect public reception might be a little dicey

5 hours ago, Milo said:

Sonic Team: "....what's so funny?"

Reveal hidden contents

From the ResetEra leaks thread, this is Seven Force's 100% completion photo, and, uh.... :V

mt8lUA8.jpg

And by their own admission, there's apparently no additional/postgame content for completing the main campaign/story or completing all of the island challenges.

My theory that the back half of the game basically doesn't exist looking more likely by the day. We'll see how this plays out when it releases but coming up short of four environments isn't a good look 

11 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:
  Hide contents

zbdOElj.jpeg

Spoiler

>Sonic Adventure DX models

game isn't even out and it's already been irrepairably destroyed, thanks sega

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Wraith said:

My theory that the back half of the game basically doesn't exist looking more likely by the day. We'll see how this plays out when it releases but coming up short of four environments isn't a good look 

I'm pretty sure that's only three unique environments and two copies though

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I'm pretty sure that's only three unique environments and two copies though

That's why I said they came up short of four. They didn't even meet that number when I expected them to pull it off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:
  Hide contents

>Sonic Adventure DX models

game isn't even out and it's already been irrepairably destroyed, thanks sega

Where's the broken mouth though? 

11 hours ago, Jango said:

The interactions between characters some user on Era posted are legit. Like real legit. They ******* redeemed Tails for good. It's like a -well deserved- *********** to Pontaff.

To give you an idea, they reference Tikal and the flashbacks from SA1, Cream and Sticks, and name drop a bunch of places from Sonic's world. Which was something I really wanted from the very beggining. Nice.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I have just read through this whole thread and it reminds me why I ignore some sectors of fanbases these days. Some of the comments here remind me of the Nintendo purists like this one who claims Breath of the Wild is a failure to the franchise. You know the ones who never can be satisfied and can’t see the forest for the trees. To those who dislike Frontiers, that’s your right. You do you. But maybe your frustration, while merited, has soured you and made you overly critical? Maybe try looking with a fresh pair of eyes and giving it a chance? I can relate as a fully frosted-over fan myself who had grown fully discontented with the mediocrity and miserable failures and is only now coming out of cold storage.

Frontiers has somehow woke me up after forced Forces and the bargain bin Mario clone Lost World had put me into comatosis to the current 3D games. I like the intricate depth and detail that is going on here. Ian Flynn has served us up a fantastic first feat at making some serious sense of the crazy mess the Sonic game universe has become and making it fresh and fun. I will admit Frontiers is not the last word in video game narrative and I would love to play as the other characters again, but this game strives for perfection with a vengeance. In a way, it reminds me strongly of the similar mess in the world of cartoons that Dave Filoni had on his hands from the Prequels dumpster fire in creating Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

That series was weak in its theatrical release and first couple seasons, but the perceptive fans could tell even then what Filoni was aiming for. Fully matured today, The Clone Wars’ final episodes are among the highest rated TV episodes of all time and its original character Ahsoka (which many fans initially hated), now often ranks at the top of the fan favorites. I see similar parallels in Flynn’s trajectory of the Sonic franchise as Filoni’s of Star Wars. However, I think right out of the gate Flynn’s quality is way better, owing much to his experience in the comics universe and even having written an entire encyclopedia on the subject of our favorite blue critter. Frontiers is a mighty good first and I am itching for a sequel!

• Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, hifihedgehog said:

Ian Flynn has served us up a fantastic first feat at making some serious sense of the crazy mess the Sonic game universe has become

Name one thing that this game clears up or sorts out.

I think Sonic Frontiers' reception might be 74/100 or  75/100 on Metacritic. Similar to Sonic Heroes. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, it's solid and addicting. However, cyberspace and the supposed lack of environment variety in the later islands could lower the scores. As I said before, I'm still in Ares Island, so I can't judge the two final islands just yet, so who knows...

Now, I feel a little mixed. I enjoy the open zone gameplay, the story and tone, but I'm not fully enjoying the game because I'm worried about the last islands and because I can't get over cyberspace. I feel more positive than negative, however, this is not the ultimate 3D Sonic game everyone was looking forward. It's a step in the right direction, but Sonic Unleashed and SA2 are still better...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It recanonizes Super Knuckles - albeit the form is just namedropped and not actually used.

Not exactly a huge deal story-wise, but it does put to bed the old "only male hedgehogs go super" rule.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

It recanonizes Super Knuckles - albeit the form is just namedropped and not actually used.

Not exactly a huge deal story-wise, but it does put to bed the old "only male hedgehogs go super" rule.

Okay, fair, that's one incredibly minor clarification.

But it's not like Flynn's done some monumental task of fixing the series narrative just by namedropping as many things as possible and confirming that everything exists.

I all really want to know is that if there’s any costumes/cosmetics based off other Sega franchises? (Specifically Yakuza)

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Okay, fair, that's one incredibly minor clarification.

But it's not like Flynn's done some monumental task of fixing the series narrative just by namedropping as many things as possible and confirming that everything exists.

That's fair.

I'd say this serves as one final confirmation of Sonic taking place on one world/one timeline for those who missed the TailsTube episode about that - being clearly laid out in the games themselves and thus indisputably canon.

It's a little much all at once, but it's also all out of the way now, so I really doubt Flynn will be quite so reference-heavy in his (presumed) next game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally think that a lot of people are gonna like this game for the story and not really for the gameplay. I dunno, it seems more and more apparent that it's gonna be repetitive gameplay wise, combined with the fact that Cyberspace is apparently terrible, and basically I expect 6/10s and 5/10s

33 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I think it's more a case that it gives nods and/or mentions previous games and ideas, rather than pretend they don't exist or matter. This appears to have some lovely continuity links with the world building aspects. Bar Generations, it's just a shame it's taken so long for the games to acknowledge that they all happened in one timeline (not that this has ever been necessary each time). The only thing that remains the outlier is the bizarre idea of classic sonic being from an alternate timeline/dimension which was frankly a bizarre change of track come Sonic Forces. 

But anyway, the fact of how it's adding lore or giving additional context for previous stories is, of course, going to either please or upset fans that have their own ideas - which is fair enough and is just the way these things work in general.

For example, I personally hated the way Shadow's storyline concluded - it doesn't really impede on SA2's main story overall, but the extended background was a fairly weak/lazy idea that added very little beyond "it was all aliens" when it could have explored other interesting concepts. But hey, it's done now - I accept it even if I don't really like it much. 

Building on the first civilisation (or hearing Eggman's musings on the idea) to me is quite interesting - I don't think it devalues Chaos or SA1's story in particular personally (but I can appreciate why it might cause grievence for others that prefer it remain a mystery or privately value the characters). 

Not gonna comment on story stuff since I’m refraining on giving it my full attention til later.

But holy shit only three islands is garbage. LOL The joke I made that Frontiers was a money laundering scheme the whole time feels more and more like I could feasibly believe it. How do you come out of five years with this? I think playing Generations last night and seeing the sheer amount of effort put into a game with roughly one or two years of production time puts it into perspective. This is insane, bros.

• Thumbs Up 6

I just can't get over the fact that there's less than four actual original islands in Frontiers.

Three island themes, four cyberspace themes. Seven total themes. That is laughably bad. 

1 minute ago, azoo said:

Not gonna comment on story stuff since I’m refraining on giving it my full attention til later.

Without giving much away, how do you like the overall package on a scale of 1-10?

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Three islands is laughable yea, no defending that.

Someone's probably gonna defend it on YT in the future tho