Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

5 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I guess, unless it's against the rules? You could post screenshots too

The words uttered in the stream and chat are theirs, not mine or yours, unless you want to jump in and say hi:

He's playing with the Japanese audio track because the English one is, according to them "shit". A bit of a shame because their voices save for Knuckles in the prologue sounded different but in a good way, this time around.

Stream just ended so, thoughts.

Spoiler

When kocos die(?) the "zap" runes from the end of the first teaser appear in the air (from their souls or something maybe? I looked away and missed part of it). Still no idea what it means but it's...important, maybe?

Sonic talks about all the ruins being designed for containment. Of the emeralds, specifically, but probably also whatever nasty thing you'll have to fight at the end of the game.

As if we didn't already know from previous leaks, Sage is indeed working for Eggman. Her primary motivation seems to be protecting him since he's gotten himself wrapped up in this shit and trapped in cyberspace. He doesn't seem to care much about her worries but I expect they'll try to wring some emotion out of the relationship later.

So the big one, though we got a peek at it back when the giganto fight got spoiled: the koco are, or maybe were, some kind of Chaos 0 looking creatures. We get a sepia-toned flashback of two kochaos lovers dying in the war or something. And I really hope this isn't going in the direction it feels like, where the koco are earth-elemental chao and there was a whole civilization of kochaoses just like...being people, farming and making statues and maybe inventing cyberspace. Because like, what does that make Chaos? Chaos was a "god", like a force of nature personified, a protective spirit for the chao (in like a metaphorical sense at least, even if he is in a literal sense an evolved/mutated chao). Something that was, while not beyond understanding, not what you'd call "human". Now I may well be misinterpreting or overreaching on some things, I could believe that a lot of what's on the islands was left by whoever the villains end up being and the kochaos were just their victims (again, war flashback, we know something bad went down for them). But the presentation just feels so different that if they are meant to be connected, it kinda makes the chao and Chaos feel less like fantastic, almost mystical beings, and more like the neanderthal cousins to these new, more evolved elemental critters.

e: also just like, as a game, the whole thing just looks miserable. At no point did I feel like I'd get any more than like 10 minutes of entertainment out of playing it, and that just from the relative novelty of running around an open space in a Sonic game.

The switch performance was interesting to see. Seemed to run at a stable 720 30 fps, but that pop in was really bad at parts. 

Spoiler

One mission that required you to use the Cyloop to cut grass did not seem to be made with the switch in mind, with the camera panning back for a long view where the grass will load in a 12 foot radius around you.

Not too many judgements on gameplay yet from that stream but mostly cause he was not very good at the game and kept getting lost lol. 

Game looks like a good amount of fun, but it definitely makes me glad that I'm getting it on PC alongside the Switch version. I enjoy ports that feel like they're punching above their weight, but good golly did that version look rough.

I really can't say I'm surprised at all that the street date has broken for a Sonic game (again) and people are leaking content from the game (again).

But it continues to be disappointing nevertheless.

• Absolutely 2

59 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Stream just ended so, thoughts.

Reveal hidden contents

When kocos die(?) the "zap" runes from the end of the first teaser appear in the air (from their souls or something maybe? I looked away and missed part of it). Still no idea what it means but it's...important, maybe?

Sonic talks about all the ruins being designed for containment. Of the emeralds, specifically, but probably also whatever nasty thing you'll have to fight at the end of the game.

As if we didn't already know from previous leaks, Sage is indeed working for Eggman. Her primary motivation seems to be protecting him since he's gotten himself wrapped up in this shit and trapped in cyberspace. He doesn't seem to care much about her worries but I expect they'll try to wring some emotion out of the relationship later.

So the big one, though we got a peek at it back when the giganto fight got spoiled: the koco are, or maybe were, some kind of Chaos 0 looking creatures. We get a sepia-toned flashback of two kochaos lovers dying in the war or something. And I really hope this isn't going in the direction it feels like, where the koco are earth-elemental chao and there was a whole civilization of kochaoses just like...being people, farming and making statues and maybe inventing cyberspace. Because like, what does that make Chaos? Chaos was a "god", like a force of nature personified, a protective spirit for the chao (in like a metaphorical sense at least, even if he is in a literal sense an evolved/mutated chao). Something that was, while not beyond understanding, not what you'd call "human". Now I may well be misinterpreting or overreaching on some things, I could believe that a lot of what's on the islands was left by whoever the villains end up being and the kochaos were just their victims (again, war flashback, we know something bad went down for them). But the presentation just feels so different that if they are meant to be connected, it kinda makes the chao and Chaos feel less like fantastic, almost mystical beings, and more like the neanderthal cousins to these new, more evolved elemental critters.

e: also just like, as a game, the whole thing just looks miserable. At no point did I feel like I'd get any more than like 10 minutes of entertainment out of playing it, and that just from the relative novelty of running around an open space in a Sonic game.

As someone who is literally playing it right now, if watching it didn't interest you then playing it isn't really gonna change your mind either. I'm enjoying it as someone who is just trying to figure out how to do shit. 

That said, 2D Cyberspace levels can go eat a dick, those are easily the worst designed stages so far and the controls were definitely not made with them in mind. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yo...

These spoilers are actually making more curious than anything.

Can't wait to get this game now!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

As someone who is literally playing it right now, if watching it didn't interest you then playing it isn't really gonna change your mind either. I'm enjoying it as someone who is just trying to figure out how to do shit. 

That said, 2D Cyberspace levels can go eat a dick, those are easily the worst designed stages so far and the controls were definitely not made with them in mind. 

How does 2D Cyberspace in Frontiers compare to the 2D portions of, for example, Sonic Colors?

22 minutes ago, McGroose said:

How does 2D Cyberspace in Frontiers compare to the 2D portions of, for example, Sonic Colors?

They are 100% worse in every way. 

I dunno, I only played the Green Hill 2D stage and it was very bad. The city level wasn't as bad. 

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

They are 100% worse in every way. 

I dunno, I only played the Green Hill 2D stage and it was very bad. The city level wasn't as bad. 

You sure your experience won't vary depending on the stage you're playing though? Feels like you're saying that knowing that you only played through a few of them. 

9 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

I really can't say I'm surprised at all that the street date has broken for a Sonic game (again) and people are leaking content from the game (again).

But it continues to be disappointing nevertheless.

Has there ever been a physical game that hasn't broken street date? Lol

According to this AMA from a guy who (allegedly) beat the game

Spoiler

The only Cyberspace stage themes are the 4 we've currently seen

sucks

Wasn't sure if this counted as a leak or not. Either way, huge stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

You sure your experience won't vary depending on the stage you're playing though? Feels like you're saying that knowing that you only played through a few of them. 

That's why they're called first impressions.

11 minutes ago, McGroose said:

According to this AMA from a guy who (allegedly) beat the game

Hide contents

The only Cyberspace stage themes are the 4 we've currently seen

sucks

Spoiler

Sonic Forces had more level themes lol

17 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:
  Hide contents

Sonic Forces had more level themes lol

Whilst I agree that this sucks - technically this is only really true if we only looking at cyberspace. Forces only had byte size levels overall and didn't have 5 very large open zone areas in addition.

So in terms of visual themes that's at about 9 across the board here, which tracks about average for zone theme/variance on Sonic games overall. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not the best when most of those visual themes are "green dirt mound with ruins", "yellow sand mound with ruins", "grey dirt mound with ruins" so on so forth.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Whilst I agree that this sucks - technically this is only really true if we only looking at cyberspace. Forces only had byte size levels overall and didn't have 5 very large open zone areas in addition.

So in terms of visual themes that's at about 9 across the board here, which tracks about average for zone theme/variance on Sonic games overall. 

Yeah I'm only talkin' about Cyberspace here.

Unrelated, but the AMA guy said some more things, that will be in a spoiler tag list

Spoiler

There was a "lot of death"....huh.

Open Zones are "empty" for story reasons.

You can't go Super in the open world. Shame.

About Sonic himself in the ending; "He might have some PTSD from some character/s not making it tho..." what

Another thing about the ending; "Lots of sad moments and one big mad moment" 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:
Spoiler

About Sonic himself in the ending; "He might have some PTSD from some character/s not making it tho..." what

Spoiler

I can't believe Tails is fucking dead (again!)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2