Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

How do you know?

Unless this lore has changed, and I hope it has. The only people who can use emeralds are 

Male Hedgehogs

Chaos

Robots

Mephilies

Black arms ( My head canon is mephilies is also in that category ) 

And sometimes echidna's

And Maybe blaze, because in the comic I think I saw shadow use a sol emerald in the comic, so I would imagine it works vica versa

But yeah, he doesn't fall under any of that, he's a jackal. 

Again unless they changed it so that everyone could be cool. Then that would be , infact cool

Is there a special cutaneous receptor that's only present on male hedgehogs's palmar nerve endings that accepts chaos emeralds??

Is it an X-linked genetic phenomenon??

Knuckles and Tails have super forms too, and Blaze, Iizuka cannot retcon that. Chaos used it too. So why wouldnt anybody else be able to transform with these emeralds too?

There's a reason they are sought after so much!!

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Is there a special cutaneous receptor that's only present on hedgehog's palmar nerve endings that accepts chaos emeralds??

Knuckles and Tails have super forms too, and Blaze. Chaos used it too. So why wouldnt anybody be able to transform with these emeralds?

Eh, technically, Classic Knuckles and Tails had super forms and even then, Tails required the Super Emeralds due to his young age.

And Chaos is a mutated Chao to begin with.

Also, the preboot Archie comics had Ray share some info about the emeralds with Vector that he learned from Knuckles: just about anyone can tap into the power of the Emeralds, but certain people are more affected by it than others.

18 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Unless this lore has changed, and I hope it has. The only people who can use emeralds are 

Male Hedgehogs

Chaos

Robots

Mephilies

And sometimes echidna's

And Maybe blaze, because in the comic I think I saw shadow use a sol emerald in the comic, so I would imagine it works vica versa

Again unless they changed it so that everyone could be cool. Then that would be , infact cool

And Tails.

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Is there a special cutaneous receptor that's only present on male hedgehogs's palmar nerve endings that accepts chaos emeralds??

Yeah, its called sexism, and sexist lore

Knuckles and Tails have super forms too, and Blaze, Iizuka cannot retcon that. Chaos used it too. So why wouldnt anybody else be able to transform with these emeralds too?

Izuke retconned the super emeralds, so yeah he can. He also retconned those forms, sonic's just carrying tails and knuckles around in heroes

Chaos is litterally a being spawed from the master emerald, so yes he could use it

Eggman uses them as an energy source

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, technically, Classic Knuckles and Tails had super forms and even then, Tails required the Super Emeralds due to his young age.

Not canon

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Also, the preboot Archie comics had Ray share some info about the emeralds with Vector that he learned from Knuckles: just about anyone can tap into the power of the Emeralds, but certain people are more affected by it than others.

Not canon, and since its pre -reboot its super not canon

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

And Tails.

The super form tails had has iirc been retconned. 

And sonic is basically carying tails and knuckles around in heroes. They could not used those powers by themselves

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Male Hedgehogs

Chaos

Robots

Mephilies

And sometimes echidna's

Infinite specifically uses the Phantom Ruby via some kind of port in his chest, so I would imagine that the same or a similar mechanical interface could be set up to draw on a Chaos Emerald's power, in much the same way as Eggman powers his giant robot in Sonic & Knuckles with the Master Emerald.  At least, that's how I'd write it.

Regardless, we all know that the "lore" will change in a second if Sonic Team are pitched an idea which they like, so to be honest I don't worry about these kinds of mandates very much.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

21 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Male Hedgehogs

Chaos

Robots

Mephilies

And sometimes echidna's

Did you read that post before publishing it.

What you just proved is that it's kinda impossible to say who can use Emeralds.

Maybe anyone can do it, if they try. We don't know. Or maybe only wizards, machines and vaguely special people. I mean, you listed 'male hedgehogs'. Are you implying Uncle Chunk could go super, but if Silver was a gal, he wouldn't?

Just now, FFWF said:

Infinite specifically uses the Phantom Ruby via some kind of port in his chest, so I would imagine that the same or a similar mechanical interface could be set up to draw on a Chaos Emerald's power, in much the same way as Eggman powers his giant robot in Sonic & Knuckles with the Master Emerald.  At least, that's how I'd write it.

I don't think so. Your character in forces uses it by touching it, and eggman uses it for a split second in the comics , anyone can use it.  I Think he only had the chest install so he could directly connect with its power. There's no proof that the chaos emeralds energy would work the same as the phantom ruby's 

I think infinite's deal is a single deal and now its done

Just now, FFWF said:

Regardless, we all know that the "lore" will change in a second if Sonic Team are pitched an idea which they like, so to be honest I don't worry about these kinds of mandates very much.

Eh, the chaos emerald lore kind of hasn't changed for a while though. I'll be the first one to say sonic team changes thier mind often, but outside of shadow just learning how to do chaos emerald based stuff by himself... they haven't changed anything. Only male hedgehogs, Knuckles has the M.E , some monsters can use it, it is occasionally a robot battery that's been consistent. 

Heck if you wanna get crazy , them not wanting to be tied down to that lore could be an argument they had as to not include the chaos emerald in forces in the first place

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Did you read that post before publishing it.

What you just proved is that it's kinda impossible to say who can use Emeralds.

Maybe anyone can do it, if they try. We don't know. Or maybe only wizards, machines and vaguely special people. I mean, you listed 'male hedgehogs'. Are you implying Uncle Chunk could go super, but if Silver was a gal, he wouldn't?

I did and no that logic has pretty consistent in the games. 

Untill Sega dictates and shows otherwise, no they cannot.  And Yes I am implying that, apparently sonic's lore bible specifically says that. That's why I mentioned it.  

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Izuke retconned the super emeralds, so yeah he can. He also retconned those forms, sonic's just carrying tails and knuckles around in heroes

Not canon

Not canon, and since its pre -reboot its super not canon

The super form tails had has iirc been retconned. 

And sonic is basically carying tails and knuckles around in heroes. They could not used those powers by themselves

Uh, Mania and Forces says hi.

And my point with Ray was that the games have always shown that people can use the emeralds power in a variety of ways if they actually try and/or know how, thus the comic just gave another explanation for something that happens in the games.

May I remind you of what Tikal, Rouge, and Blaze all say about the emerald's power?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, Mania and Forces says hi.

Mania doesn't unretcon the super emeralds, and is being argued as to actually have happened

And my point with Ray was that the games have always shown that people can use the emeralds power in a variety of ways if they actually try and/or know how, thus the comic just gave another explanation for something that happens in the games.

Ray said non canon things in a non canon comic that isn't canon, and can't really be used as a reference because the games don't do that. And i'm not even saying you can't use material that isn't exactly canon as a reference, i've done it and do it. 

But a character sega doesn't use anymore, during a piriod that took wild liberties with how the lore worked that got rebooted specifically because of that, and other legal reasons? That's basically nothing

May I remind you of what Tikal, Rouge, and Blaze all say about the emerald's power?

Nothing that contradicts the rules established

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Mania doesn't unretcon the super emeralds, and is being argued as to actually have happened

Ray said non canon things in a non canon comic that isn't canon, and can't really be used as a reference because the games don't do that. And i'm not even saying you can't use material that isn't exactly canon as a reference

But a character sega doesn't use anymore, during a piriod that took wild liberties with how the lore worked that got rebooted specifically because of that, and other legal reasons? That's basically nothing

1. Tails and Knuckles can still go Super in Mania, and as far as we know, it's canon. The super emeralds are still canon; they just can't be used.

2. You're right; it's non-canon. Guess what the IDW Series is? NON-CANON. As long as it abides by SEGA, pretty much ANYTHING can happen.

• Nice Smile 1

Blaze isn't a super transformation, it's a Burning transformation.

Tails and Knuckles still can't canonically use the Emeralds in the modern games. Super Emeralds don't exist either.

I'm pretty sure what Shadow did was try to use the Sol Emerald to Chaos Control, but it just summoned flames instead.

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

1. Tails and Knuckles can still go Super in Mania, and as far as we know, it's canon. The super emeralds are still canon; they just can't be used.

Classic Tails and Classic Knuckles.

• Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Classic Tails and Classic Knuckles.

Still, it proves that it isn't just "male hedgehogs" that can use chaos emeralds.

Chaos Emeralds (and Angel Island and Master Emerald) must appear on the comic.

We can't throw these away like in 2010 Sonic Colors did.

Even Sonic Riders had chaos emeralds.

My big question is, what excuse will they give to Knuckles to not being on Angel Island??? I'd like Relic the Pika to return so she can watch the emerald for him (+ being an interesting character, an old friend archeologist of Knuckles, that's interesting).

5 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

2. You're right; it's non-canon. Guess what the IDW Series is? NON-CANON. As long as it abides by SEGA, pretty much ANYTHING can happen.

And if it abides by sega, then the limited usage will occur like ususal

By the way just want to put this out there, I don't like the limited use cases. I think it puts to much emphasis on certain characters and less on others. I would prefer a blaze situation where everyone had unique character specific powers and transformations that they got through their own mesures to make them special  ., even shadow. Would prefer him to move away from the chaos side of his powers. 

That said I acknowledge what the series is

8 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Still, it proves that it isn't just "male hedgehogs" that can use chaos emeralds.

YEah and I listed them, did you miss that

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

My big question is, what excuse will they give to Knuckles to not being on Angel Island??? I'd like Relic the Pika to return so she can watch the emerald for him (+ being an interesting character, an old friend archeologist of Knuckles, that's interesting).

What I would do, tails made something to help gaurd the M.E so knuckles can do less work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, I think an adventure with Shadow should be related to his origin. What other kind of story can Shadow have? None I think! In post-reboot he had the story with Eclipse, but in the rest of the times, he was just sitting around.

That's why I think Eclipse is a big loss. I hope he can re-appear though (not much hope but still).

Tails' and Knuckles' super forms in Mania are non-canon, just as they were in Sonic 3 and Knuckles all those years ago. If they were canon, they'd get a super ending just as Sonic does. 

Currently the mandates explicitly say that only male Hedgehogs can utilise them for the purpose of powering themselves up, so no pseudo-stuff like Ray that one time in the comic. Machines can use them as a power source just fine.

Also the super emeralds were retconned for the longest time, and even Mania is prohibited from using them which is why stone replicas are in their place. 

• Thumbs Up 2

As of Mania Tails and Knuckles have a Super form. I don't consider it non canon just because they're not the main character so they can't save the day. But that's just me personally. An argument can be made for and against personally. Though their modern incarnations are another story entirely.

5 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Also, I think an adventure with Shadow should be related to his origin. What other kind of story can Shadow have? None I think! In post-reboot he had the story with Eclipse, but in the rest of the times, he was just sitting around.

That's why I think Eclipse is a big loss. I hope he can re-appear though (not much hope but still).

Yeah, one serious issue with Shadow is that they have to make the story dark with a particularly vile and/or threatening villain in order to justify giving him a major/relevant role. 

Even Forces was explicitly going for a overall darker tone and couldn't resist giving him a significant encounter with The Heavy that contributed to the later's Mericratic mindset.

And most of the time, those stories somehow correlate to his past/origins as this abominable crime against nature created by the joint resources of a corrupt military, a mad scientist, and a pseudo-demonic alien overlord.

Eclipse tapped into the latter in addition to specifically being created with countering Shadow in mind.

18 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Currently the mandates explicitly say that only male Hedgehogs can utilise them for the purpose of powering themselves up, so no pseudo-stuff like Ray that one time in the comic. Machines can use them as a power source just fine.

Give me a link where it's explicitly stated as an actual mandate. I thought it was just implied.

I prefer to think of the "only male hedgehogs" rule apparently found in a version of the series bible as being a descriptive rule, rather than a prescriptive one; and it does indeed describe accurately the current state of affairs in the Modern universe.  So far as Super Tails and Super Knuckles go (let alone Hyper forms), what you have to remember is that, as of Forces, the Classic series is no longer canon; or rather, as I prefer to put it, the Modern series is no longer canon...

Also, keep in mind that this book is also as non-canon as the Knuckles and Tails forms. If SEGA let them put that in Mania, maybe they'll let a few more super-forms slide in this comic. WHO KNOWS? (Dangit, I hope nobody shoots this one down.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

22 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Give me a link where it's explicitly stated as an actual mandate. I thought it was just implied.

Iuzuka-san stated it during an interview.

12 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also, keep in mind that this book is also as non-canon as the Knuckles and Tails forms. If SEGA let them put that in Mania, maybe they'll let a few more super-forms slide in this comic. WHO KNOWS? (Dangit, I hope nobody shoots this one down.)

Well, Overclocked NICOLE was a thing. It wasn't exactly a super form and she does fit within the rules/trends given, but it's still a thing.

• Nice Smile 1