Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

The idea of platinum making a sonic boom game just went through my head and just trying to fathom how awesome it would be brought a single tear to my eye. Once platinum makes something you know it gonna be a quality product and 

Homing attack,Homing attack,Homing attack,Homing attack, Slam,Homing attack,Homing attack,Homing attack. 

Yeah it looks so good.

Well, wasn't this modern sonic's way of deafeating foes?

Well, throw in the boost and the slide and yeah.

...I fail to see how that's relevant though. Modern Sonic isn't combat driven. Boom is, at least in some stages. Combat means dick all in Generations and the like.

Well, throw in the boost and the slide and yeah.

...I fail to see how that's relevant though. Modern Sonic isn't combat driven. Boom is, at least in some stages. Combat means dick all in Generations and the like.

Meh, Sonic is sonic. Classic sonic, modern sonic, boom sonic, etc.

That doesn't really apply here...since other Sonic games aren't focused on combat, because its not the main part of the game. Like any other platformer its "just there"

Sonic Boom has a much higher focus on combat than any other Sonic game, so it would end up being considered more of a problem if the combat system isn't looking that good.

The Japanese footage is giving me the vibe of "it becomes more complicated if you choose for it to be complicated". I mean, have we actually seen many times where a person would, say, switch between the Y and X buttons while attacking something to change the way the combo works? Not to mention, didn't we receive some info from the devs that the combat becomes more in depth as the game progresses? Is there a possibility that the levels we have been shown are early ones, meant to showcase the differences between this and the main series, as well as be relatively easy so as not to turn of newbies? I mean, it's not like the developers have said that multiple times or anything, obviously.

The idea that the levels we've seen are very early levels seems like it would be pretty obvious, but the problem is that I think BRB just did a really bad job of showcasing the game. Could it be because the game may actually turn out to be bad and therefore wouldn't look that great no matter what they showed off? Sure it could. But I remember Frost saying that they were purposefully showing off the more polarizing parts of the game. I get where he was coming from on this, but when the purpose of E3 is to get people hyped for the game, I'd say they did a pretty terrible job. People are going to go in expecting certain aspects from the Sonic series, despite being a spin-off, and we really haven't seen that many :/ I would think Frost would be doing some damage control and maybe have the company show off some of these more promising parts he'd hinted at before E3.

The company also obviously threw in the speed section for some familiarity but of course it's a very basic one from very early in the game with almost no challange to it. So, now people think that all of them will be like that, which is unlikely because I believe Frost has stated numerous times that they would become far more challening in the future. Will they be fun? Well we don't know, but they will have more substance to them. As for the combat, I'll be honest and say I'm not really sure how to comment on it. I don't think it looks like it would play badly but it doesn't look all that interesting to me. Not terrible, just kind of meh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, Sonic is sonic. Classic sonic, modern sonic, boom sonic, etc.

...Those three you listed all differ wildly in playstyle though. "Sonic is Sonic" is a hilariously poor argument. Just because they all star a blue hedgehog means nothing in the importance of a combat system in each style - said importance wildly differs. 

...Those three you listed all differ wildly in playstyle though. "Sonic is Sonic" is a hilariously poor argument. Just because they all star a blue hedgehog means nothing in the importance of a combat system in each style - said importance wildly differs.

I wasn't even trying to get into a agrument or even make an agrument, I just want to get out of it.

That doesn't really apply here...since other Sonic games aren't focused on combat, because its not the main part of the game. Like any other platformer its "just there"

Sonic Boom has a much higher focus on combat than any other Sonic game, so it would end up being considered more of a problem if the combat system isn't looking that good.

Sonic battle, sonic and the black knight, sonic unleashed.....

I wasn't even trying to get into a agrument or even make an agrument, I just want to get out of it.

Sonic battle, sonic and the black knight, sonic unleashed.....

Sonic Battle is a fighting game spin-off, no shit it relied on combat.

Sonic and the Black Knight was friggin' awful combat wise, and was even more monotonous than Boom is looking. Also, it was another spin-off, as opposed to "Modern Sonic" gameplay as we know it.

Sonic Unleashed's combat was actually alright, and whilst somewhat misplaced, was way more fleshed out than Boom is looking.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yes it was and mario way of defeating enemies is jumping on them but if there were a mario fighting game and all that you could do was jump it would be laughed at.

Actually nintendo could probably pull it off, they are nintendo after all.

I'm really hoping they got some multiplayer modes so that we can have a 4 player free for all or some objective type.

Too bad its not going to be online if they do it

Same here, but there is nothing wrong with a little local multiplayer.  I like having friends over.

2P local co-op and 4P local competitive modes have been confirmed. But yeah, it's been confirmed that there's no online, which I personally really dislike cause I'm over 20 years old now and have no friends who'd want to come over to play Sonic games. So Boom will forever be a single player experience for me, which is a yet another disappointment from this game :P

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, you can win by mashing buttons in 101.

On Easy Mode, as your eight year old sister or whatever it was demonstrated. Punch it up to normal, then try.

Like Sam said, just because you can button mash to win (in easy mode) doesn't make it immediately a predominant button masher. Button mashing can be applied to just about any game with combat. Street Fighter's can involve button mashing at lower levels of play, but it's a fighting game with genuine technique required to win. Go into a Street Fighter tournament and try button-mashing, and you won't get far. 

Also you seem to suggest we shouldn't criticise what we've seen because it tides over the target demographic. Very well if it appeals to the target demographic but that doesn't make it a good game. Carnival Games on the Wii catered to a demographic of young children, and it's still acknowledged as bollocks. 

Ultimately, even if the combat was amazing, Boom still would be looking far from good to me. The speed sections look almost hilariously poor, the bosses look monotonous, the music that I've heard just kind of blurs into the game and the graphical quality is questionable at best.

I think the only things that don't bug me are the designs (which I think actually play into the characters' concepts very well, even Knuckles) and the writing, and even that's off in places.

Honestly I'm getting straight up bored of this discussion. Combat looks repetitive in my opinion, end of. It seems janky and inconsistent, and I simply think that more should have been shown at E3 if there IS more to it. This discussion was the first I'd heard of the level up system, so clearly that should have been given more notice at E3 to alleviate concerns.

I'm judging what we've seen so far. Not the full game, just what we've seen so far. And what we've actually seen so far rather than what we've been told about is a load of shite.

Again, I played it on normal. Only got three consolation prizes.

I never said you shouldn't criticize what we've seen, though. I just personally don't think it looks "shite", because I'm looking at it from a general action/adventure perspective, not an arcade game viewpoint. The speed sections, while no modern Sonic level, still do their job as a cinematic QTE level transition well enough, the boss looks decent but needs different attack methods, the music is fitting the scene rather than drawing attention to itself, which may be bad for the music as a separate entity but altogether better for the game's atmosphere, the graphics look great, (have no idea what you're talking about here) and the combat seems infrequent, fast, responsive, and satisfying to use. That's just my take on the points you brought up, though, and hardly the reason why I like it altogether.

Yes it was and mario way of defeating enemies is jumping on them but if there were a mario fighting game and all that you could do was jump it would be laughed at.

Actually nintendo could probably pull it off, they are nintendo after all.

Actually... *looks at the M&L series*

A question:

Immagine_zpscece9f3d.png

Will there be any chance that the Wii U Game Pad can be used as a Miles Electric (like the communicator used in Lego City Undercover) in the final game?

Will there be any chance that the Wii U Game Pad can be used as a Miles Electric (like the communicator used in Lego City Undercover) in the final game?

There's a similar concept. You can go into scanning mode, which turns the whole screen blue-ish and highlights hidden treasures and paths leading to them. You have to move the GamePad around to move the camera. So that's the same sort of thing, yeah.

Again, I played it on normal. Only got three consolation prizes.

I never said you shouldn't criticize what we've seen, though. I just personally don't think it looks "shite", because I'm looking at it from a general action/adventure perspective, not an arcade game viewpoint. The speed sections, while no modern Sonic level, still do their job as a cinematic QTE level transition well enough, the boss looks decent but needs different attack methods, the music is fitting the scene rather than drawing attention to itself, which may be bad for the music as a separate entity but altogether better for the game's atmosphere, the graphics look great, (have no idea what you're talking about here) and the combat seems infrequent, fast, responsive, and satisfying to use. That's just my take on the points you brought up, though, and hardly the reason why I like it altogether.

The speed section shouldn't be cinematic in the way it is though. If it's cinematic, it should be a cutscene, or it should be cinematic in a more interactive way that involves the player.

Graphics wise:

large.jpg

This looks like a PS2 game. Everything seems flat and dull, especially the void of water at the bottom. The grass areas look completely unaffected by any lighting. Even the waterfall looks like shit. 

Shy_Guy_Falls.jpg

Look at the water effects here, and the vibrant lighting. It puts Boom to shame. 

The speed section shouldn't be cinematic in the way it is though. If it's cinematic, it should be a cutscene, or it should be cinematic in a more interactive way that involves the player.

Graphics wise:

large.jpg

This looks like a PS2 game. Everything seems flat and dull, especially the void of water at the bottom. The grass areas look completely unaffected by any lighting. Even the waterfall looks like shit. 

That Boom screenshot, I believe, is from the earlier wave of screenshots and videos which for some reason had an unbelievable amount of lighting effects turned off. The newer footage is far superior to that.

That Boom screenshot, I believe, is from the earlier wave of screenshots and videos which for some reason had an unbelievable amount of lighting effects turned off. The newer footage is far superior to that.

It was from E3, so I'm using it.

It was from E3, so I'm using it.

Perhaps, but this is actually what we're going to get:

I dunno why they decided to showcase a less graphically finished demo at E3. It seems like it's shooting yourself in the foot.

Not that I really care, either way, but yeah, this is what we're getting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Graphics wise:

large.jpg

Shy_Guy_Falls.jpg

Look at the water effects here, and the vibrant lighting. It puts Boom to shame. 

What defines what it "should" be, though? Why should it be only a cutscene if it's trying to be cinematic? Why, if it's a level, should it be more Interactive than it is already? Why should it be filled with robots and death traps?

Once again, I'm thinking you're letting the standards of the normal Sonic franchise deem what is appropriate and what is not for this game. See, for me, these levels make perfect sense. They're transition levels, so like Ratchet's grinding segments, they try to make it look as cinematic and cool as possible while the level is loading. However, just grinding/running on hills is boring from a gameplay standpoint, so they throw in a couple of simple reaction-based hazards and routes. Too much interaction, though, and you'll be detracting from the whole reason why the levels are there in the first place: as a fun little breather to sit back and enjoy the scenery flying by you, and to load levels before you get there. Too much distraction from the scenery/story level design wise, and you forget the point of the experience in favor of focusing on arcade trial-and-error gameplay. Too much complex level design, and you might as well just have a loading screen in place of the level in order to save time.

And as for the graphics, well, what everyone else said.

Ah, that's alright then. My bad.

Not a problem, you're not the only one who still only knows the basic footage we already seen. This thread has a lot of pages, it's easy to miss updates.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ratchet's grinding segments last 10 seconds though. Maybe 20 at most. This lasts like, two minutes. I can beat City Escape in that time.

Complex level design gives you something to do. Even if it's a transition level, it should be engaging. The speed section don't look engaging.

This IS the part where I'll look at other Sonic games because this is the part it has in common - speed levels. The speed levels in the main games are good, making these different is fine but the change detracts.

I'll wait and see what exactly is going on with the graphics. Because the direct-feed B-roll footage looks rubbish while the off-camera footage looks much better. The total opposite to what you'd expect, but you can definitely make out that things were improved on a technical level. The E3 screenshots and trailer paint an unclear image too. And while things were improved, nothing we've seen yet looks as nice as the February trailer and screenshots. It's hard to think positively about it when then rest of the game and things we can be sure about have all turned out so poorly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the first trailer kinda did what most Sonic games do, take all the cool stuff and mash it together to make a quick, hyping video to make the audience do a bunch of guesswork since you can't get an idea of what the game is about that way.

Actually... *looks at the M&L series*

I said a fighting game an rpg is a much easier task when it comes to making an attack work not to mention M&L also gives you hammers,Items,fireballs Skills.

Imagine play smash with a character  that can only do damage by jumping on the other character. 

Well, the first trailer kinda did what most Sonic games do, take all the cool stuff and mash it together to make a quick, hyping video to make the audience do a bunch of guesswork since you can't get an idea of what the game is about that way.

We aren't talking about the gameplay we are talking about the graphics.