Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Oh, I'm pretty sure that since they mentioned time travel, Sonic's going to be the one to defeat Lyric in the past. And probably do a lot more in the past, if that "it's like these tracks were built for me" line is foreshadowing.

I mean, I am hopeful the game will mix it up somehow. As soon as I heard time travel would be an element, I almost immediately started to piece things together.

Which, again, makes me think the way this game is being promoted is its biggest weakness. With Jak 2, you didn't find out you were in the future of Jak's world until a good ways in. Here, by confirming time travel, they pretty much let the cat out of the bag that Sonic will defeat Lyric once in the past and once in the future... so I'm honestly hoping that isn't the case.

I just overall hope the plot has some really neat surprises in it to make up for giving away what is usually one of the biggest twists in a plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that's what happens when you reveal something like time-travel in any story.

That's true, but that's why time travel is normally not confirmed until later on in a story. It's such an overused plot device that you can immediately begin to guess that various things are only the way they are because the protagonist altered things.

No way that they'd shoehorn Shadow into this somehow. He'd be too big of a story point to not be mentioned in the press releases and whatnot. I'm confident what we're seeing in terms of setting up the plot line and casting is what we're roughly going to get.

But if they did put him in. <3

stun-smile.gif

I take it your the middle guy?

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed.

I've been waiting since 2007 Shadow to do something of note. Anything. Aside from being boss fodder. 

It'd be the most bittersweet feeling ever; I know half the fanbase would call BS, but seeing Shadow in a prominent role again like that would just tickle me fancy. :D

...shit, I sort of want this to happen now.

• Thumbs Up 8

Do you think we will get dlc in RoL?

If we do then I would like it to be a decent length compared to the very short free dlc we got in Lost World. In terms of dlc content I think it would be nice if we could play as Sticks. I know she will be playable in the 3ds version but I want to play as her in RoL as well.

I doubt there'll be Shadow behind this mistery.

As Hogfather pointed out

Going back to the time travel discussion.....

From the E3 trailer....

BqIqic6CIAA6fVY.jpg

And if we zoom in.

BqIqiZ1CUAA8C2W.jpg

It's most likely that Sonic and (at least) Tails will go to the past to seal Lyric and save an ancient race, who in exchange will build statues and paint walls to celebrate and remember their saviours.

When you think about it- It's cool we pieced together so much, buuuut... Now I'm kinda disappointed. I'm guessing many wouldn't want to see Shadow but I would! Maybe if they redesigned him slightly to resemble Sonic more closely (not full out change his quills or colors but maybe give him the same colors and sports-tape orientation) so it could be believable. Come to think of it- while I understand the whole "how do you mistake Shadow for Sonic" but I always just played into it :V 

Anyways, I'd much rather prefer one of Sonic's ancestors had sealed Lyric, Lyric 'remembers' "Sonic", then Sonic and Co do go into the past and defeat him.. or something? Ugh guess that's why I don't write stories : P 

But with how the SSMB dun glued it all together the only thing I can look forward to is the story in itself, like the how it happens. Unless it indeed does have something that we haven't already pieced together. 

So yeah just my two cent's, still looking forward to the story just not as much as before. Moreso how they handle it. 

No way that they'd shoehorn Shadow into this somehow. He'd be too big of a story point to not be mentioned in the press releases and whatnot. I'm confident what we're seeing in terms of setting up the plot line and casting is what we're roughly going to get.

Maybe they choose not to reveal it (if he is in) because he shows up later in a game and could turn it into a spoiler.

What if we're reading this the wrong way.

What if, in the past, hedgehogs and foxes were at war with the snakes, with one hedgehog and one fox eventually managing to seal Lyric for good. The people commemorate this, life goes on. Cue Sonic's timeline, and they find this ancient land where the foxes an hedgehogs once lived. They accidentally wake Lyric from slumber, who recognises Sonic as a hedgehog he was once at war with. After a quick skirmish with him, the four cannot beat him and run. Eggman has found out about this snake, and plans to use him to take out Sonic once and for all.

Back with Sonic and co, they decide they need more power to defeat Lyric, and so head on an adventure around the island and beyond to find the Chaos Crystals, which they hope will give them the power to defeat Lyric. Along the way, the meet Eggman numerous times, who is trying to stop them. Once enough of the Crystals have been collected, instead of powering them up, they are instead transported back in time to the war. Here, they find out how to defeat Lyric once and for all, as well as the true value of teamwork.

Continuing on their journey in the past, Sonic and co also learns of the Chaos Energy, allowing them to fully understand what they need to do to utilise it to full effect. Upon learning this, they transport themselves back to their time, and face Lyric once more. What worked in the past has no effect now though, thanks in part to Eggman's modifications to Lyric's armour.

And then cue the start of Shattered Crystal's plot.

Something like that, maybe, would break away what we can guess whenever time travel is mentioned as a plot point to where the next cutscene is still a mystery as to what happens next. I don't know, but if they're just following standard time travel plotlines, the plot won't be travelling anywhere.

And featuring a past war also gives the world they find themselves in more of a backstory, where side missions and side stories can explore more of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they choose not to reveal it (if he is in) because he shows up later in a game and could turn it into a spoiler.

Well, if this is anything like some other games in the BRB resume... it's always possible there will be a secret ending that could hint at a future game.

And given that the games look to have more room for a serious tone than the cartoon... if Shadow's appearing anywhere, it's probably going to be somewhere in the Boom games rather than the show.

• Thumbs Up 3

What if, in the past, hedgehogs and foxes were at war with the snakes, with one hedgehog and one fox eventually managing to seal Lyric for good. The people commemorate this, life goes on. Cue Sonic's timeline, and they find this ancient land where the foxes an hedgehogs once lived. They accidentally wake Lyric from slumber, who recognises Sonic as a hedgehog he was once at war with. After a quick skirmish with him, the four cannot beat him and run. Eggman has found out about this snake, and plans to use him to take out Sonic once and for all.

Back with Sonic and co, they decide they need more power to defeat Lyric, and so head on an adventure around the island and beyond to find the Chaos Crystals, which they hope will give them the power to defeat Lyric. Along the way, the meet Eggman numerous times, who is trying to stop them. Once enough of the Crystals have been collected, instead of powering them up, they are instead transported back in time to the war. Here, they find out how to defeat Lyric once and for all, as well as the true value of teamwork.

Continuing on their journey in the past, Sonic and co also learns of the Chaos Energy, allowing them to fully understand what they need to do to utilise it to full effect. Upon learning this, they transport themselves back to their time, and face Lyric once more. What worked in the past has no effect now though, thanks in part to Eggman's modifications to Lyric's armour.

Something like that, maybe, would break away what we can guess whenever time travel is mentioned as a plot point to where the next cutscene is still a mystery as to what happens next. I don't know, but if they're just following standard time travel plotlines, the plot won't be travelling anywhere.

And featuring a past war also gives the world they find themselves in more of a backstory, where side missions and side stories can explore more of.

Interesting story idea, however I think that Lyric's tribe is not just snakes.

Why, you ask? Look at the pictures below.

U0Lu8ks.png

A concept art of what appears to be some giant robotic armour. What does Lyric have? Robotic armour. Secondly look at the armours helmet and compare to the image below:

160FRaN.png

The logo seems to be very similar to the helmet of the armour. 

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!! smile.png

Also, Lyric's logo appears different to this one, with a hook instead of horns as shown below:

s1gjPEV.jpgActually, looking at this, it looks like this is a manufacturing plant for Lyric's army or even some kind of giant robot.

I'm hoping it's something along these lines. I'd rather it be Sonic's ancestors or something rather than just Sonic, especially considering they alread did almost exactly that plot in '06 with Shadow and Mephiles. However, there are some original Naughty Dog members on this team, so no doubt there will be plot twists of some kind. I'd just like to see a game incarnation of Sonic where we actually get some backstory on him. For a series where the early 3D games (Adventure 1/2) originally had a relatively large focus on plot, it always seemed odd that none of the characters, with the exception of Shadow, had an established backstory. There were hints here and there: Tails being bullied in the past for having two tails, Knuckles being the chosen guardian for the Master Emerald, etc. Other than that, we haven't gotten much in the way of backstory for any character that isn't Shadow.

Sonic is the absolute last character is want to see a backstory for. Separate continuity or no, I don't think think he should ever be given one. It's not necessary, not do any of the characters suddenly need one.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think having Sonic starting off as a loner who doesn't look too much into the future and actually be the one to learn a lesson in teamwork are good enough ways to differentiate him from his main counterpart. You don't have to give a (new) backstory to a character to show that it's a different incarnation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic is the absolute last character is want to see a backstory for. Separate continuity or no, I don't think think he should ever be given one. It's not necessary, not do any of the characters suddenly need one.

He makes a good point. Sonic (at least in the main continuity) prefers to keep moving forward instead of looking back at the past, so why give him a backstory?

I'm pretty much indifferent to Sonic having a backstory so long as it isn't that Dr. Kintobor bullshit the comics tried to shove down our throats.

Personally I always considered the classic games to be his "backstory".

He makes a good point. Sonic (at least in the main continuity) prefers to keep moving forward instead of looking back at the past, so why give him a backstory?

Wasn't Sonic Generations just this? Sonic looking to the past. Though I suppose he didn't have much choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Sonic "needs" one, but I think some people are just curious. Personally, I think it could be cool if done right. Thing is, Sonic Team won't do it right. So, it'll be more ruining than cool. Not that, as far as main-line Sonic, has characterization and story has been a concern, as of late.

I don't think Sonic "needs" one, but I think some people are just curious. Personally, I think it could be cool if done right. Thing is, Sonic Team won't do it right. So, it'll be more ruining than cool. Not that, as far as main-line Sonic, has characterization and story has been a concern, as of late.

More or less my thoughts.

I actually really wonder how this project would have gone if not for Sonic Team's oversight. I can't help but feel they're probably hurting more than helping given their track record with the franchise.

I mean, I know BRB has some crazy ideas of their own from what we've heard, but given the track record they have as devs versus what Sonic Team's got going for it... I can't help but trust BRB more. As I've said before in the thread, I wonder if this game's poor showing is a reflection of the game's actual quality, or because the wrong things are being shown to the public by SEGA's marketing.

More or less my thoughts.

I actually really wonder how this project would have gone if not for Sonic Team's oversight. I can't help but feel they're probably hurting more than helping given their track record with the franchise.

I mean, I know BRB has some crazy ideas of their own from what we've heard, but given the track record they have as devs versus what Sonic Team's got going for it... I can't help but trust BRB more. As I've said before in the thread, I wonder if this game's poor showing is a reflection of the game's actual quality, or because the wrong things are being shown to the public by SEGA's marketing.

I'm Pro-Boom but it was said that what they showed was purposely showing differences between the "normal" and the "boom" unless you're talking about how they showed the one with lesser graphical fidelity, then yeah.

Not gonna lie I also thought this though. Even though they had crazy ideas, I wonder if Sonic Team isn't accidentally harming the project with their oversight of Boom. Sonic Team might not be the best when "overseeing" a project. 

Not gonna lie I also thought this though. Even though they had crazy ideas, I wonder if Sonic Team isn't accidentally harming the project with their oversight of Boom. Sonic Team might not be the best when "overseeing" a project.

Well really, one need only think about it.

When they direct their own projects, 9/10 times they're either awful or just meh. Directing someone else's is probably going to have the same result.

They may have changed who's actually designing the levels and such, but if Sonic Team has any pull with this project, their vision of Sonic - that is, the vision that has destroyed his reputation over and over again - is going to be harmful.

Even if Sonic Team really is just an advisory body and BRB could have refused to consider all their suggestions about design and such, I still am nervous about this game's marketing. I think so much effort is being used to secure merchandise partnerships that the game itself isn't being focused on. It really is coming off as a cash-in on the cartoon.

I mean, we knew that was going to happen (that's just how business works), but I was hopeful this game would be something both ordinary consumers and those who like the cartoon would want. However, everything about it that's been promoted doesn't really do much to inspire interest or hope.

It's been said over and over, but it's worth repeating: why was that pre-E3 footage shown at all, when it was so poor compared to later graphics? I'm not surprised some would think that some part of SEGA is deliberately trying to sabotage the whole project.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well really, one need only think about it.

When they direct their own projects, 9/10 times they're a trainwreck. Directing someone else's is probably going to have the same result.

They may have changed who's actually designing the levels and such, but if Sonic Team has any pull with this project, their vision of Sonic - that is, the vision that has destroyed his reputation over and over again - is going to be harmful.

Indeed. That was one of my biggest concerns at first but was later eased into thinking it'd be okay- now that you brought it back up, I'm kinda concerned again.