Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Actually I think people should listen to that GT segment. Only I would start the conversation from 42:30.

Basically, they talk about 'What was the biggest dupe' ever at E3. 

They then start talking about Boom.

"It sucks, it's trash, it's bad, it's really really bad"

"No amount of feedback is going to save that game"

Then they start talking about how Kyle was told 'Sega promised they changed it' hence the whole 'biggest dupe at E3' portion of the conversation.

I actually started around the 40minute mark because I was kinda interested. But what exactly are you hoping for us to gain by listening to the full thing?

Anyway  all this negativity is really sad. Yes I believe it will be mediocre but I still have some hope and this is killing it. I want to say they need to hurry up and show something that actually looks decent, It makes me feel like they don't have a single good thing to show.

I wonder if it will really be as terrible as people make it out to be or they just miscalculated the outcome of what they chose to show.

I mean, even if I don't like what they did franchise-wise, looking back on the first videos and interviews with a cooler head some of the things they outlined actually make sense. They did try to prevent or at least diminish the asociation with Modern Sonic and the things the franchise currently represents by changing the characters, for instance, and the same thing Frost said on this very thread about what they would try to show at E3. They did seem to go about this in a thoughtful manner, so it makes me curious to see how it will be in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then they start talking about how Kyle was told 'Sega promised they changed it' hence the whole 'biggest dupe at E3' portion of the conversation.

Just watched it to make sure I'd got the context right. So SEGA's been discreetly saying to some that changes have been made. If that's true then it depends when SEGA said this. If it was during E3 then it's the typical PR talk of the E3 build being a work in progress. If it was at some point after E3 then there's a chance they've been rattled by the press reception and are trying to change it.

Thing is though, they've only got 4-5 months to get this finished so unless they pull a surprise delay then there's little major change they can make at this point.

Forget Lost World. I have never seen a Sonic game that has so much negativity before the game is out. It's even worse than Sonic 2006.

This game though is clearly aimed for the LEGO, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Ben 10 audience (although arguably Disney Infinity had a much better reception than Boom...) don't know why the previewers are failing to see that...

Again I believe this game will sell, but it will have 3/10 reviews all over the place. There even could be some instances where some assistants in game stores would warn the adult/child that the game would be terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

(Seriously, if you think Boom has bland gameplay for a demo, watch this. Then for reference, actually download the demo of it and see how fun it is in person.)

On that point, is it even possible to put a slow-paced game in E3 and have people come away impressed with it in all the rush that is E3? Especially when they have nothing to go on previously to guarantee the enjoyment of the title?

Oh good, I'm not the only one who absolutely abhorred those timepad levels. I trust I'm not the only one who went "fuck it" and looked up how to get past them, either? tongue.png

But yeah. I think that because Sonic's in the title, no matter how much the series is labelled as a spinoff, people will expect speed.

I guess it's because it's still a platform title, rather than the usual spinoff, which completely changes the genre. Hence why Mario Kart's not panned for being unlike Mario despite the fact it's not a platformer.

We're ultimately headed for an All 4 One scenario, I think. Which, as I've mentioned, means the game might be meh with many fans and critics but families will love it.

• Thumbs Up 4

But yeah. I think that because Sonic's in the title, no matter how much the series is labelled as a spinoff, people will expect speed.

sonic

ˈsɒnɪk

adjective

• relating to or using sound waves.

"the whales emit sonic pulse systems"

denoting or having a speed equal to that of sound.

Can't exactly blame them. Every other Sonic spin off in the past has attempted to be fast one way or another, because that's just what the series is. I don't like the look of Shattered Crystal, but it has the right idea. It's a different take on the Sonic formula, whereby it's clearly anything but a normal Sonic game but still functions as a Sonic game. Rise of Lyric just doesn't fit the bill at all.

• Thumbs Up 7

So in short, Sonic has run himself to death and any attempt at something that isn't fast is going to be poorly received.

Well, that could have been planned better.

Just going to have to hope that there's enough younger players to make up for the ire of the gaming community. When even the fanbase that is known for immense loyalty is displeased, things don't bode well.

• Thumbs Up 1

So in short, Sonic has run himself to death and any attempt at something that isn't fast is going to be poorly received.

Well, that could have been planned better.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. If RoL was a good game, it'd be well received even if it was slower than a snail in molasses. But to be both different and bad is a recipe for disaster.

• Thumbs Up 6

Forget Lost World. I have never seen a Sonic game that has so much negativity before the game is out. It's even worse than Sonic 2006.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually remember Sonic 06 previews at E3 getting mixed to positive feedback. That's why it was such a shock when the game turned out as bad as it did. Other Sonic games that turned out to be mediocre in the final product also had positive feedback at E3 and other conventions, yes even ShtH. I think Sonic Boom is the first time almost everyone has hated the demo and previews!

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't think that's necessarily the case. If RoL was a good game, it'd be well received even if it was slow snail in molasses. But to be both different and bad is a recipe for disaster.

In that case I'll just hope that the final product will look and play a lot better to most people... and that the poor E3 showing is just a usual case of bad decisions by corporate. In this case, choosing the wrong things to show off to the public.

I mean, when we see the pre-E3 footage... ohhh boy. I question if whoever designs the adverts knows what they're doing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I don't see how there is any awesome stuff we've not seen. Unless the game goes the Lost World direction and just throws as much different shit at us as possible, I think we've seen it all. They confirmed the focus to be the combat and it looks so repetitive and the puzzles and platforming segments aren't that impressive either.

• Thumbs Up 5

I actually started around the 40minute mark because I was kinda interested. But what exactly are you hoping for us to gain by listening to the full thing?

Because the full conversation is about how at E3 developers and publishers try to mislead people, and they more or less state that's what's happening with Boom, which is why they brought it up.

Some of these reviews really make Boom sound absolutely wretched than just bland and boring.  I dunno, but they're really talking it down worse than just being uninspired, to me. Like "worst thing ever!" kinda talking

In my honest opinion.  Even if Sonic Boom those end up being bad or mediocre, I can only hope that the game sell enough copies to get SEGA to say "We'll give you guys another chance because your concept has potential but please learn from you mistakes and make the game 10 times better than before".

It's shocking actually how many people are looking at Boom and instantly going NOPE on it.  Seriously.  One person I work with I don't has seen anything about the game except for the re-designs and he has automatically said "it looks s***".

But whenever I look at Boom I can't but think of Ratchet and Clank, a game franchise that I'm not a huge fan.

But with all that said I am still excited for Sonic Boom both Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well as I always say regarding the game,

at least we still have the show.....

.....right?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well as I always say regarding the game,

at least we still have the show.....

.....right?

Well, the TV show is the main incarnation of Sonic Boom (as it was announced way before the games)

• Thumbs Up 3

Still excited for Rise of Lyric. I'm not gonna pretend I'm not disappointed by some of the negative previews and such, but I've already seen all the footage that's been shown and decided how I feel about the game based on that, so negativity doesn't worry me.

I think I'll just ignore any other negative articles posted. They're all beginning to sound the same.

• Thumbs Up 6

Again, i don't understand why they're taking a demo ( not even full levels mind you) as a indication of a full game experience. Bah, whatever. Come to think of it, this is the first time i've seen so many negative impressions of a e3 demo. I'm still excited for the game but there must something wrong with the way its constructed..

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh. I can't take it anymore.

I tried, I really did... but I can safely say that any positive hope for Sonic Boom I've held is now long gone. I can understand the game taking a different direction because it's a spin-off, but y'know what? It still isn't the game that I want. And even in being something different, it's apparently not even going to be that good in it's own right.

I'm going to have to skip this one, I'm afraid. Maybe a rental.

Looking forward to the cutscenes and story, though. That's really all it has going for me.

Same here. This is definitely going to be a rent or late buy and Shattered Crystal might be a potential buy if reviews are slightly more positive. The negativity is too much now for me to ignore and I know that there will surely not be a positive review 180 once Sonic Boom comes out. If there is, colour me surprised because right now this looks like it may be a potential train wreck!

But at least we got the tv show.

Again, i don't understand why they're taking a demo ( not even full levels mind you) as a indication of a full game experience. Bah, whatever. Come to think of it, this is the first time i've seen so many negative impressions of a e3 demo. I'm still excited for the game but there must something wrong with the way its constructed..

Because the demo gives samples of the various types of gameplay on offer with this game and the previewers didn't have fun with any of them. There will be more levels to play in the full game, yes, but that won't change the core gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Much agreed.  Rather than people saying that they don't have high hopes for the game judging by the previews, all we are getting is the "THE GAME SUCKS".  I mean, holy mother!  the game hasn't even come out yet and people are straight away jumping the gun.  Once again I seriously hope this game sells well just because I want the franchise to continue.  But you know what I think I want most of all.  I want this game to be launched and end up being the most amazing thing ever, just so all these journalists can get a slap round the face.

I know that, that is never going to happen, but is it too much to ask for people to stop with the whole "the game sucks and it hasn't even come out yet".

• Thumbs Up 1

Another E3 preview

https://stevivor.com/2014/07/preview-sonic-boom/

And yes, it's negative.

tongue.png

One of the paragraphs in that article court my attention:

Sonic just keeps disappointing me. I know some of this is due to my own expectations and the fact that they exist rather than having given up on Sonic long time ago like most other gamers. I can’t help it though, as I explained earlier my affinity with sonic dates back to my birth as a gamer. I really hope my disappointment in Sonic doesn’t become a regular annual feature.

It's sad that this is probably how the majority of the gaming world currently see's the Sonic franchise as a whole.

I want to see top-quality Sonic games which can prove the doubters wrong, but all the negativity around the game does make me wonder if it could really end up being that bad. I mean it might not be ground-breaking gameplay, but surely an okay game at best based on the footage we've seen. If RoL turns out to be a terrible game then I will be very disappointed sad.png

It really sucks to hear so many people hate Rise of Lyric, I honestly think it looks pretty good and I can understand why some people would hate it.

It's like the Werehog all over again, the game may not play like the Sonic games we are used to but I'm pretty positive that the game will atleast be fun to play.

• Thumbs Up 1