Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Postives?

Edit: I won't mention names but, some idiot told me to make this bigger so, here you go.

JlzfsDB.jpg

Real subtle insult dude.

Anyway, it wasn't even a stupid request. You're asking for positives I assume. 

The designs are alright...?

...when they give us something new that provides a positive impression for me to give, then I'll give positives. Don't moan about the lack of positivity when there's not a whole lot to be positive about.

• Thumbs Up 8

Re: BRB showing off the full range of combat...

Let us remember that they showed the really low quality graphics just prior to the show.

I don't know who was setting up Sonic Boom's promotions, but I can't say they're doing the best job. Just as poor graphics were used just prior to E3, I wouldn't be surprised if it was overlooked that a wider range of combat should be incorporated into the demo there.

I'm hoping to God later conventions have better demos. I don't know if this game is hurting so much because of poor design choices, so much as all the wrong design choices are what's being showcased.

It'd be like, when I set up my little Sonic merch booths, I showed off my crappiest comic books to potential buyers instead of my near mint ones. No one would buy those, because they're garbage issues. Always bring your best to a show. Vendor, exhibitor, press or otherwise.

I know that, that is never going to happen, but is it too much to ask for people to stop with the whole "the game sucks and it hasn't even come out yet".

As a person who was on the Boom hype train... I think this is a karmic punishment for all the enthusiasm that this game would be awesome.

Does anyone know if Sonic Boom will be shown and have the demo available at any other conventions or showcases.  Because at the moment we have only seen journalists views on the game.  No person on this forums from the looks of things has played it yet to have a legit thought on it.

I'd assume it will also be playable at San Diego Comic Con, PAX and the GameStop Expo.  

I think what's one of the worst things about Boom is that if/when the game gets negative reviews, Sega/Sonic Team is going to assume the game failed for all of the wrong reasons and is going to continue to let the series stagnate.

A developer that isn't Sonic Team or Dimps would ideally be the fresh breath of air the franchise needs, but if Boom fails Sega/Sonic Team would probably (with Boom being the obvious exception) further reel in the leash to the series.

Going to concur with this. I'm outright terrified they'll forget risks and failure are a natural part of the business cycle and can the Boom project because the game has a poor showing.

Remember that the combat won't always be simple, and some baddies will be tougher and/or force you to try other tactics. Even if the selection of moves is shallow, there will still be some elements that could potentially make fighting a bit more exciting.

That is indeed a key point. A lot of enemies have unique styles that make you think. Hilarity ensues if you try to button mash your way through a battle with temporarily invulnerable enemies in it.

2P local co-op and 4P local competitive modes have been confirmed. But yeah, it's been confirmed that there's no online, which I personally really dislike cause I'm over 20 years old now and have no friends who'd want to come over to play Sonic games. So Boom will forever be a single player experience for me, which is a yet another disappointment from this game tongue.png

I must concur that this was easily one of the things that really earned my ire. I have one close friend, and he might move soon.

I know we're not the target demographic, but the decision to have no online play comes off as a really big middle finger to all the older fans. Just because this game is clearly meant for families doesn't mean they should make it impossible for people who don't have regular playmates to also co-op with each other.

Never mind having online play is a great way to ensure replayability and thus more sales. I'm not saying online play would have been easy to implement, but it really hurts the game to not have it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he is asking what everyone on this post thinks is a positive to Rise of Lyric.

Well in my opinion nearly everything about this game to me looks incredibly exciting.  And I know that is feels like I'm the only one saying it but I am truly looking forward to this game.  Nothing in particular about this game gives me chills of enjoyment with maybe being the gameplay it self.  I'm perfectly fine with any game franchise changing its formulas so long as that formula looks good.

Well, he didn't specify wether he meant in general or related to the combat or what. I just wanted to be sure what exactly it was he was asking for.

Postives?

Edit: I won't mention names but, some idiot told me to make this bigger so, here you go.

Lovely.

Aye, my bad Ogilvie.

Anyway, reading your impressions of the combat has given me a bit more faith in that it's not just a mindless button masher, but I'll have to see more footage before I'm satisfied. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyway, reading your impressions of the combat has given me a bit more faith in that it's not just a mindless button masher, but I'll have to see more footage before I'm satisfied.

Hmm, thinking on it, it kind of was a button masher. As was said, though, there are indeed parts where button mashing won't work and you do have to think about what you do.

If nothing else, though, the combat isn't as sluggish as Unleashed's. It certainly didn't feel that way to me, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, thinking on it, it kind of was a button masher. As was said, though, there are indeed parts where button mashing won't work and you do have to think about what you do.

If nothing else, though, the combat isn't as sluggish as Unleashed's. It certainly didn't feel that way to me, at least.

I actually found Unleashed's combat fluid and fast, so that's surprising to hear.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really I think one of the biggest issues that this game has is that it may be trying too much for a company that has only just started out and (while they do have a good back history of companies they have worked in) have one real leadership/designer/directing skills.  Isn't the lead game designer formally a leading artist or something like that for Naughty Dog.  don't get me wrong as that is a great role to be in but it doesn't help you much with programing, music, marketing and business sort of things and so being that thing must be challenging.

Positives? Its about time!

*Ahem* I like the emphasis of exploration and combat. Also, the story seems to be a really interesting one. I actually like the character design too. The game just looks fun to me, okay? However, thats just how i feel right now. It could change later months.

Well, he didn't specify wether he meant in general or related to the combat or what. I just wanted to be sure what exactly it was he was asking for.

Lovely.

I apologize for my actions and behavoir, I had no right to call you an idiot nor are you one. I'm sorry, you don't have to forgive me but, I just wanted to say that I am sorry if you took that offensive.

Positives....voice acting is really top notch, character interactions are great and the concept is good, though I just find the execution lacking.

Oh yeah, the characterisation and voice work is great too, forgot about that. Definitely another positive. 

I think it was sort of hinted at, but if characterization and story are the strong points of the Boom canon... might I suggest possibly having Archie do some sort of tie-in? Whether in Universe or even as a third side project, perhaps something that's published monthly or some such?

The cartoon won't be giving much in the way of a deep story, so if these games don't do so hot, then a comic is a good alternative if we want a fill of story.

• Thumbs Up 1

In terms of the gameplay, I'll be fine if it's done well. Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction is one of my favourite games of all time, and I've been meaning to check out the other games. If we get something like that, it'll be stellar.

But right now, it looks nowhere near that quality. I appreciate the combat areas allowing more roaming than past games, but the mechanics that hold it up look heavily flawed, and nowhere near as fluid and fun as Werehog or R&C. And as I've mentioned, the speed sections take the idea of automation from the Boost gameplay and turn it up to 11.

To me it looks like the two "stone" pieces join together when it is not in use, notice how the circle patterns on either side match up with each other. It seems like when turned on a holographic screen is formed between them and the entire thing is touch operated.

Ah, that makes sense. Kind of cool how we get to see how the technology in this universe works. It's a lot more "primitive" looking and fits in with the more natural look of the world, like the hoverboard we saw Tails on in the E3 TV show trailer. Looked like it was made of wood and just had a propulsion system sort of glued to it. I like it.

Also, I'm glad to see us talking about some of the positives, despite how understandably difficult it might be for some people. I really like the voice work and characterization going on in this universe. Travis Willingham's performance for Knuckles, especially in the TV series, sounds absolutely spot-on. Mike Pollock is, of course, continuing to be the quintessential Eggman voice and Roger is also doing a great job. I'm really liking how his voice for Sonic sounds a bit more smooth or calm this time around. And Amy no longer sounds like Minnie Mouse! Great job voice directors!

• Thumbs Up 2

The new voice direction for Amy is fantastic. Much preferred to the old voice.

• Thumbs Up 7

I wish we had a version of the music without any voices interrupting it. It sounds nice. Kinda like a Zelda game actually.

actually this whole game in general is giving me a very Zelda-y feel.

I wish we had a version of the music without any voices interrupting it. It sounds nice. Kinda like a Zelda game actually.

actually this whole game in general is giving me a very Zelda-y feel.

I can't begin to imagine what gives you this impression. Could you explain it?

I dunno, just the puzzle-y combat-y large scale-feel of it all. It's like twilight princess with dialogue and less yiffing.

Or maybe more yiffing, I dunno, I'm not well educated on the subject.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it was sort of hinted at, but if characterization and story are the strong points of the Boom canon... might I suggest possibly having Archie do some sort of tie-in? Whether in Universe or even as a third side project, perhaps something that's published monthly or some such?The cartoon won't be giving much in the way of a deep story, so if these games don't do so hot, then a comic is a good alternative if we want a fill of story.

I think this is a great idea! Let's hope we don't just get a one shot comic or Sonic Universe arc, but a whole new series of Sonic Boom comics. I'd love that. =3

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's your positivity, ARE YOU NOT AMUSED?

So ladies and gentlemen this video is an example of why you should stay on topic when doing a video discussion. That last part was pitiful and sad. I cringed for him and promptly closed the tab.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay guys, I have been analysing the trailer for Sonic Boom Wii U and have found what seems to be 2 new combos (possibly even 3). One for Tails, one for Knuckles and one for Amy. Sorry, I don’t know how to upload pictures from my computer though I do have screenshots:(

Tails:

Around the 1:22 mark we see a new combo for tails. It appears to be some kind of machine-gun. No idea how it functions, but it most definitely is not a buddy bot (which we have seen).

Knuckles:

Around the 0:55 mark we see what is the most interesting of the new move set for Knuckles. I am not even entirely sure what it is. It looks like a shield that Knuckles conjured up at the beginning of the clip. It also appears to block the enemy attacking him.

Amy:

1:02 mark. Amy ferociously attacks the enemy and sends it flying. Now this move itself looks like her tornado move but much faster. What this means is that I believe that not only will you unlock new combos, but you will also be able to upgrade them.

So ladies and gentlemen this video is an example of why you should stay on topic when doing a video discussion. That last part was pitiful and sad. I cringed for him and promptly closed the tab.

You mean the shoutouts or the single joke he made before them? Pitiful,sad, Nah I think you are just scared of a little sex joke.