Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

The real strategy in the game comes from stringing attacks and different weapons together, as efficiently as possible. When new to the game, though, the basic stratagy is "hit A to win". It's how people played the E3 demo, it's how Sonic Boom is being played, and it's how half of my siblings played W101 all the way through.

Exactly while W101 made it possible for enemies to be defeated just my mashing button like a moron but if you do that you would get a horrible rank even if you managed to survive the level on normal.

Sonic boom has shown none of that. Yes there could be more complex mechanics hidden and there could be better combos and there could be mario as a playable character but they haven't given us any reason to think there is so it doesn't matter. Even in official gamplay trailer all we see is sonic doing so three hit kick combo and a a stomp attack so as of now if we are to trust what the team is showing us the combat is crap. If the combat was good they would be showing off their combat and combos in the trailer not showing us the worst aspects of it.

W101 had a hell of a lot more strategy to it than button mashing.

Are you talking about wizard101 or wonderful101?

Wonderful 101, superwplf.

Wonderful 101. I don't even know what the former is.

This game is going to prove how stiff the sonic fan base is.  And by stiff I mean "we need to have things go this way or it is a terrible game". 

Uh, no.

This game is going to prove that a large proportion of Sonic fans are (Quite rightly) not satisfied when something that carries the Sonic name and is a platformer in addition is turned into a half-assed cartoon tie-in that exhibits practically nothing that defines the series or does anything that is even half-way decent or which sets it apart from the main series or even other games like this in any original way.

I've heard of plenty of criticisms towards this game that seem very well-founded. That it's not doing something in an extremely particular way is not one of them.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wonderful 101. I don't even know what the former is.

What's a former?

Uh, no.

This game is going to prove that a large proportion of Sonic fans are (Quite rightly) not satisfied when something that carries the Sonic name and is a platformer in addition is turned into a half-assed cartoon tie-in that exhibits practically nothing that defines the series or does anything that is even half-way decent or which sets it apart from the main series or even other games like this in any original way

I've heard of plenty of criticisms towards this game that seem very well-founded. That it's not doing something in an extremely particular way is not one of them.

I think both you guys are wrong, its going to show that sonic fans don't know what a spin off is. Btw the combat looks like SB to me......I feel like I'm going to get suspended for this.
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's a former?

Dude...are you serious?

For·mer
preceding in time; prior or earlier: during a former stage in the proceedings.
past, long past, or ancient: in former times.
preceding in order; being the first of two: Our former manufacturing process was too costly.
being the first mentioned of two (distinguished from latter ): The former suggestion was preferred to the latter.
having once, or previously, been; erstwhile: a former president.

Anyway, you know what Sonic Boom's gameplay reminds me of? Knack.

It's the same boring, repetitive button mashing brawler with hardly any combos or cool moves. Guess what? Knack turned out to be a fairly mediocre game, so I'm expecting RoL to be like that.

Dude...are you serious?

For·mer

preceding in time; prior or earlier: during a former stage in the proceedings.

past, long past, or ancient: in former times.

preceding in order; being the first of two: Our former manufacturing process was too costly.

being the first mentioned of two (distinguished from latter ): The former suggestion was preferred to the latter.

having once, or previously, been; erstwhile: a former president.

Anyway, you know what Sonic Boom's gameplay reminds me of? Knack.

It's the same boring, repetitive button mashing brawler with hardly any combos or cool moves. Guess what? Knack turned out to be a fairly mediocre game, so I'm expecting RoL to be like that.

You know, when I tried the demo at e3, it didn't feel like a button mashing game...idk.

I agree, I think if sonic boom could do the job of making the fights atleast look cool I might be more interested. But i must say there is a differences between a game allowing button mashing and a game being nothing but button mashing. W101 still made you know your enemies, pay attention to their position and who is about to attack, understand the mechanics and be able to execute them well. Another serious issue is how uninteresting the enemies are, they really take generic robot to the next level. When I see a new enemy I am suppose to think it cool, scary or strong but they all just look like robots with not a single interesting characteristic.

Indeed, there is. Problem is, we don't know if this is just a button masher or not. We only got to see four enemy rooms to judge the action, and if you judge W101 with the same amount of rooms, you'd see the exact same thing, as the first four rooms consist of the tiny minions rather than the more complex ones. We did see a big baddie at the last brawling section in the sewer level, though, and he required a different stratagy than "hit him and it's over", so who knows? Maybe his kind will be more common later in the game.

"Satisfying impact effects" aren't the only thing that make up a decent combat system. A good combat system makes the player think on their feet. It throws the player into a variety of situations, gives them the tools they need to deal with them, and lets them figure out how to use those tools themselves. People consider mashing a button boring because you're just hitting a button and watching your character beat up an enemy. There's no thought to it. No strategy. No surprises. Huge, complex comboes at least add to a situation because they give a player options. That's why people don't like the fact that Sonic Boom looks like a button masher. It's a supposedly "combat focused" game with boring looking combat.

Calling Wonderful 101 a button masher in the same league as Sonic Boom is really underselling The Wonderful 101's versatility when it came to combat, and this is coming from someone who wasn't that big on the game. 

I know that. I just don't especially care for them if they're used on the usual whimpy enemies.

I may be underselling Wonderful 101's gameplay, because we already know the extent of it's capabilities, but I'm talking about strictly from a four room, minor enemy situation, in which, yes, W101's combat is on the same level of potential gameplay possibilities as Boom when it comes to a demo.

With 101 though, the gameplay style mixed it up with those flying sections and such. And even then, beyond the mash A thing, it still had that other layer of depth. This game lacks any depth besides "mash A, " from what I've seen.

You can judge brawlers from timed demos, if you have common sense.

I picked up Streets of Rage II for a couple of minutes the other day, just to test if the cartridge was working. My common instinct was to hit every button to see what it does. That makes sense, to me at least. I was just testing, so I was only on it for five minutes before switching to Sonic 3D. And yet, I learnt how to play the game from just those five minutes.

Streets of Rage II uses the same three button format as Boom - yet still has combos and such, like the backwards attack. Here, we've seen the same "Mash Y" combo, an air move, and little else. 

Basically, this has as much depth as one of the earliest beat-em ups in the genre, at least in the state that SEGA decided to show at the biggest gaming event of the year.

With Boom, can you honestly tell me that every single person that played the game at E3 was too damn stupid to at least try doing something different to button-mashing in a genre where there is always more to the game than button mashing? And if they did, where are the results? Even the Werehog's starting assets were more varied than what we've seen here.

Given that they only had four rooms to try it out in, yes. Usually the base instinct to defeating enemies on a limited time basis is to use what you know what works, not waste time waltzing around only to get forced off of the demo before you can complete it.

And the results aren't shown because none of the demos actually end the level, like the 3DS version does. You can see hud rankings on the side underneath the player icon, though.

Look at the 3DS version. Do you see people using the character's brawling moves on the enemies all the time, or the homing attack? I didn't even know the former existed until I saw the recent impression video from Cobanermani.

Exactly while W101 made it possible for enemies to be defeated just my mashing button like a moron but if you do that you would get a horrible rank even if you managed to survive the level on normal.

Sonic boom has shown none of that. Yes there could be more complex mechanics hidden and there could be better combos and there could be mario as a playable character but they haven't given us any reason to think there is so it doesn't matter. Even in official gamplay trailer all we see is sonic doing so three hit kick combo and a a stomp attack so as of now if we are to trust what the team is showing us the combat is crap. If the combat was good they would be showing off their combat and combos in the trailer not showing us the worst aspects of it.

Except it has.

The ranking system shown every time you hit enemies, it gets leveled up with the amount of hits you can pull off in sucession without getting hit. This confirms that if you want to get through a level fast, you can hit the robo-snakes before they reach their destination, but you won't get a good score from doing so. It also encourages you to watch for enemies that might hit you with their blasters, or won't go down swiftly and thus will land a hit on you eventually. This is the same thing W101 did, and it deserves a little more attention than it's receiving.

Combos are unknown right now, but we already know we're getting more than what we're seeing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Given that they only had four rooms to try it out in, yes. Usually the base instinct to defeating enemies on a limited time basis is to use what you know what works, not waste time waltzing around only to get forced off of the demo before you can complete it.

Hahahaha, no.

It took me a mere 10 seconds to try every button on the pad in Streets of Rage. Add another 10 for the grab mechanics and another 10 for the back kick.

Experimentation is easy to do with four rooms. Easy. I did it with the Werehog just fine. It's practically mashing buttons, but you learn from it and are able to mix up the gameplay because of what you learn, giving it strategy.

For comparison, Boom right now is mash Y. Not with any rhyme or reason, just mash Y.

Saying four rooms of enemies is not enough to try something different is utterly daft. Given absolutely no coverage has shown anything outside of the basic combo and air dive, I strongly doubt there is anything hidden away, and if there was, it wasn't in that demo - and it should have been, if it's there.

What we saw, is people hitting Y,Y,Y. Are you telling me that hitting Y,Y,B or something was too much?

The ranking system shown every time you hit enemies, it gets leveled up with the amount of hits you can pull off in sucession without getting hit. This confirms that if you want to get through a level fast, you can hit the robo-snakes before they reach their destination, but you won't get a good score from doing so. It also encourages you to watch for enemies that might hit you with their blasters, or won't go down swiftly and thus will land a hit on you eventually. This is the same thing W101 did, and it deserves a little more attention than it's receiving.

Combos are unknown right now, but we already know we're getting more than what we're seeing.

If you cock up in Wonderful 101, you get hit. The ranking system only happens at the end of the stage.

Throwing it into the midst of gameplay as seen in Boom doesn't suddenly make the combat more complex. It's still just mashing the same button over and over - disguising it with "ranks" does jack-all. Oh wow, you score more points for mashing a button in a different way. Whoop-de-fookin'-doo. 

Frankly, if there is more to it than this, then that should be shown. I'm going off what I've seen thus far.

And it looks shite.

Indeed, there is. Problem is, we don't know if this is just a button masher or not. We only got to see four enemy rooms to judge the action, and if you judge W101 with the same amount of rooms, you'd see the exact same thing, as the first four rooms consist of the tiny minions rather than the more complex ones. We did see a big baddie at the last brawling section in the sewer level, though, and he required a different stratagy than "hit him and it's over", so who knows? Maybe his kind will be more common later in the game.

I know that. I just don't especially care for them if they're used on the usual whimpy enemies.

I may be underselling Wonderful 101's gameplay, because we already know the extent of it's capabilities, but I'm talking about strictly from a four room, minor enemy situation, in which, yes, W101's combat is on the same level of potential gameplay possibilities as Boom when it comes to a demo.

No actually, even in the tutorial level of W101 you already have a much more interesting battle system with better combos and more opportunities. Its pretty sad that the only way you can attempt to compare sonic boom to W101 is by putting this many restrictions on which gameplay we are allowed to use as examples. Anyway yes maybe if you only choose the 4 worst fights in a fighting game sonic boom manages to look near decent but in any other circumstance it looks pretty bad. The fact that we have only seen 4 battles isn't a reason to not bash the combat, if anything we should bash it more since we have already seen 4 and each one of them was bad.

Um, Its too early to confirm the game's overall quality. Whether you think the game is bad or not. Hey if the game happen to be horrible, then it's a horrible game. But at this point we are playing guessing games for the next 4 months.

Even with the bigger battles, like that big spider robot thing and Eggman, the combat still looks shite. Swing stuff at them, punch them, rinse repeat. So if the small battles suck, and the large battles suck, then I feel justified in saying the combat looks like a load of bollocks. (:I

• Thumbs Up 4

Another E3 preview

https://stevivor.com/2014/07/preview-sonic-boom/

And yes, it's negative.

tongue.png

If you are reading this you’re not the target audience. If however your mummy or daddy is reading this preview to you because you’re yet to be able to read you may have some fun with Sonic Boom. Once you’ve got your pen license and can competently tie your own shoelaces I wouldn’t bother. Sonic Boom will be released in November 2014 for Wii U and 3DS so if you have some kind of Benjamin Button disease you may just age backwards enough to enjoy it.

Um...geez. That's...ech.

Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do about Boom. What I was planning on doing was buying it and playing it without looking at any Metascores or anything, and go in with a clean and neutral impression. But the vast and sweeping negativity is kinda...making that seem unadvisable to say the least. Sure, I got a 360 just to play Sonic 06 when I was a confused and naive ten-year-old, buuuut...as a confused and naive ten-year-old, I was also young enough to enjoy it. My tolerance for bad games is much lower than it was back in those days, to say the least.

At the same time...I'm still so excited about the story. Lord knows how much I've complained about the direction the writing has taken, but I like what I've seen so far so much. This game has put me in a really awkward position. It's like it's finally giving me one thing I really want, so I can't just ignore it, but in exchange everything else is going to be abject agony. It's awesome if it has a great storyline for once, but...even that won't mean much if the surrounding game is pretty much abysmal. I can only put up with so much as a gamer.

It's hard to say I want to buy it, but I don't want to skip it, either. And yeah, someone's of course going to upload the whole game on Youtube so I can get the full story experience there, but...dang it, that's lame. I want to actually experience a game firsthand when I'm interested in it, not just get the secondhand experience from somebody else. That's why I want to play Nier, despite the pretty meh things I've heard about the gameplay - if the story's really that good, it should feel more rewarding if I'm actually part of the experience.

So yeah, I don't know. At the very least, I'm not really sad about it anymore. I've gotten so used to the negativity that I'm just sort of rolling with the punches now. Guess I'll decide what to do when the game actually comes out.

One could simply wait a few weeks or months until it bombas down in price if you're that worried about it at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hear you there T-Min. The story and characterization, from what little we've seen, look pretty solid but that seems to be about it for a lot of people. And even then, there are still quite a few fans that aren't liking how the characters, especially Knuckles, are being portrayed in this universe, which is understandable even if I'm not one of those fans. I'd honestly follow Nepenthe's suggestion and just wait it out for a couple more months. It's what I plan on doing while impatiently waiting for the TV series to start airing on Cartoon Network.

One could simply wait a few weeks or months until it bombas down in price if you're that worried about it at this point.

:V Well, I suppose that's true...

Honestly, (just to give this post some more substance beyond that mere acknowledgement) I don't think the game looks too bad. I feel like I'd enjoy it at least somewhat based on what we've seen so far, but...you know...something can look fun and simultaneously play like garbage...

like Frozen Factory 2

heheheh

:I

Hahahaha, no.

It took me a mere 10 seconds to try every button on the pad in Streets of Rage. Add another 10 for the grab mechanics and another 10 for the back kick.

Experimentation is easy to do with four rooms. Easy. I did it with the Werehog just fine. It's practically mashing buttons, but you learn from it and are able to mix up the gameplay because of what you learn, giving it strategy.

For comparison, Boom right now is mash Y. Not with any rhyme or reason, just mash Y.

Saying four rooms of enemies is not enough to try something different is utterly daft. Given absolutely no coverage has shown anything outside of the basic combo and air dive, I strongly doubt there is anything hidden away, and if there was, it wasn't in that demo - and it should have been, if it's there.

What we saw, is people hitting Y,Y,Y. Are you telling me that hitting Y,Y,B or something was too much?

Frankly, if there is more to it than this, then that should be shown. I'm going off what I've seen thus far.

And it looks shite.

Do I really have to go into detail about how terrible most demo players are at E3? Half of them didn't even make use of the spindash or homing attack, how could they possibly be experimenting with combos if they didn't even have those down? And all within four short rooms? I'd say expecting journalists to be the absolute best at the game with limited time, during their job at genre hopping through demos within the span of 6 or so hours, is more daft than the assumption that they're just not that good at it.

There's more combos in the demo than pressing the same button over and over, though. There's the "Sonic Boom" after homing attacking more than twice, the "split second" attack after spindashing more than twice, and the upwards kick, which you can do anytime after kick attacking normally. This is all that I've seen, though, and only through the E3 demoers.

This argument is irrelevant, though, as as I've previously stated, it's already been confirmed that there will be more combos than this, and if you take the "button mashing" attitude towards some enemies, you'll get hit and possibly die, just like in W101. Whether you think BRB should have included these more complex elements in the demos (while entirely disregarding the fact that people were already confused and frustrated enough with the basic enemies and controls, thinking that this would be a good business decision) or not is irrelevant: Your needs don't come first. The general audience's does.

If you cock up in Wonderful 101, you get hit. The ranking system only happens at the end of the stage.

Throwing it into the midst of gameplay as seen in Boom doesn't suddenly make the combat more complex. It's still just mashing the same button over and over - disguising it with "ranks" does jack-all. Oh wow, you score more points for mashing a button in a different way. Whoop-de-fookin'-doo. 

And guess what? The same thing happens in Boom.

The latter argument is just stupid, though.

"Wow, you get rewarded for mashing a button in a different way? Who cares. I think that this game that lets me mash my buttons in a different way and actually rewards me for doing so is muuuuch better than that design. Pfft, what a superficial design philosophy."

No actually, even in the tutorial level of W101 you already have a much more interesting battle system with better combos and more opportunities. Its pretty sad that the only way you can attempt to compare sonic boom to W101 is by putting this many restrictions on which gameplay we are allowed to use as examples. Anyway yes maybe if you only choose the 4 worst fights in a fighting game sonic boom manages to look near decent but in any other circumstance it looks pretty bad. The fact that we have only seen 4 battles isn't a reason to not bash the combat, if anything we should bash it more since we have already seen 4 and each one of them was bad.

You have wonder Red and wonder Blue. You can punch and you can slice. Neither of them have any combo moves or upgrades. Nothing about this is more interesting or complex than Boom's bare gameplay.

The whole reason why you'd put restrictions on the gameplay to the point where it's at it's non-upgraded, beginning stage, is the entire point of it all: Sonic Boom's demo contained the non-upgraded, beginning stage combat. To compare it to fully leveled up gameplay would be ridiculous, as you don't even know what the fully upgraded combat even contains.

Even with the bigger battles, like that big spider robot thing and Eggman, the combat still looks shite. Swing stuff at them, punch them, rinse repeat. So if the small battles suck, and the large battles suck, then I feel justified in saying the combat looks like a load of bollocks. (:I

I've been meaning to ask, but do we even know if that is the only way to attack the bosses? Tails has weapons, so why shouldn't his attacks register as a hit, like Mario's fireballs on the Koopalings?

• Thumbs Up 3

:V Well, I suppose that's true...

Honestly, (just to give this post some more substance beyond that mere acknowledgement) I don't think the game looks too bad. I feel like I'd enjoy it at least somewhat based on what we've seen so far, but...you know...something can look fun and simultaneously play like garbage...

like Frozen Factory 2

heheheh

:I

True, and I sympathize. This entire time I haven't gotten the impression that what I've been looking at in the videos has been something obviously shit-looking. At worst, it just looks like a generic brawler/platformer, but that doesn't really inspire me to rebuke it as some kind of unmitigated disaster. The negativity from everyone has made me stop caring though, or at least has lowered my hype considerably. It's a shame as it's more interesting aesthetically than anything Sonic Team's done the past four years and is being developed by industry vets, and you know goddamn well a lot of the things in Sonic Boom that people want are going to stay exclusive to this series to not compete with the main franchise.

Lol it's like I can't win at all.

• Thumbs Up 6

I still think it looks fun. I don't care about simple versus complex if it's fun, and primarily the people I've talked to who haven't been missing the point entirely have come with the basic idea of "it's fun enough but nowhere near perfect". And I think that's good enough for me because I've justified reasons that games that everyone gives shit to like Lost World or even the Adventure games (because for some reason those have haters now), and I think the same will happen here. I don't understand people thinking this game is absolutely terrible when there are plenty of people saying so far the opposite. I could understand a general "mixed" but a complete split like this leads me to think that either side is seriously missing the point. Whether it's those who like or hate, I couldn't tell ya, but this game looks fun enough for me.

There's nothing wrong for a game to a button-mash fest. However, many game that are tend to have additional abilities, ya know, to keep it from being stale. So the lasso whip or whatever is that additional attack. If it fails to effective than the game itself will become dull. A combat game doesn't need to be as complex as bayonetta to be good.

You have wonder Red and wonder Blue. You can punch and you can slice. Neither of them have any combo moves or upgrades. Nothing about this is more interesting or complex than Boom's bare gameplay.

The whole reason why you'd put restrictions on the gameplay to the point where it's at it's non-upgraded, beginning stage, is the entire point of it all: Sonic Boom's demo contained the non-upgraded, beginning stage combat. To compare it to fully leveled up gameplay would be ridiculous, as you don't even know what the fully upgraded combat even contains.

I didn't actually think you were talking about the tutorial level, but sadly even that is beating what we have seen from boom. Anyway the point is, at this moment the game looks like a pretty bad beat em up and trying to make a point that any we shouldn't complain because because W101 was a button masher wont get you anywhere because W101 wasn't a button masher and had pretty much none of the faults that this game has.

You also said being a button masher isn't a problem and sorry but it is, especially when the button mashing looks as boring as it does in this game. In other (better) games at least button mashing made you look cool is visually appealing even if all you had was the most basic combo. In this all you get is a crappy three kick/punch combo. 

I really am done humoring people who try to use  the fact that we haven't seen everything the game has to offer as a way to invalidate the complaints made about it so don't bother.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't actually think you were talking about the tutorial level, but sadly even that is beating what we have seen from boom. Anyway the point is, at this moment the game looks like a pretty bad beat em up and trying to make a point that any we shouldn't complain because because W101 was a button masher wont get you anywhere because W101 wasn't a button masher and had pretty much none of the faults that this game has.

You also said being a button masher isn't a problem and sorry but it is, especially when the button mashing looks as boring as it does in this game. In other (better) games at least button mashing made you look cool is visually appealing even if all you had was the most basic combo. In this all you get is a crappy three kick/punch combo. 

I really am done humoring people who try to use  the fact that we haven't seen everything the game has to offer as a way to invalidate the complaints made about it so don't bother.

I'm not talking about the tutorial level, I'm talking about the first actual level.

Personally, I think W101's combat will be better than Boom's combat in the end, without a doubt, but that doesn't change the fact that it's just as guilty of having the ability to be a mindless button masher as Boom does. It's the ability to be more than that that counts.

And you guys were the ones who brought up W101's "layer of depth" while assuming that Sonic Boom didn't have it, not me. You asked for it. Though I've already brought up a point to where the game requires more strategy than hitting the snakes without a second thought for good ranks, the huge, intelligent robot that hurts you if you do button mash, and the combos no one noticed, so you've got your wish. I objectively state that this game has more going for it than a mindless button masher does. Happy?

Do I really have to go into detail about how terrible most demo players are at E3? Half of them didn't even make use of the spindash or homing attack, how could they possibly be experimenting with combos if they didn't even have those down? And all within four short rooms? I'd say expecting journalists to be the absolute best at the game with limited time, during their job at genre hopping through demos within the span of 6 or so hours, is more daft than the assumption that they're just not that good at it.

There's more combos in the demo than pressing the same button over and over, though. There's the "Sonic Boom" after homing attacking more than twice, the "split second" attack after spindashing more than twice, and the upwards kick, which you can do anytime after kick attacking normally. This is all that I've seen, though, and only through the E3 demoers.

This argument is irrelevant, though, as as I've previously stated, it's already been confirmed that there will be more combos than this, and if you take the "button mashing" attitude towards some enemies, you'll get hit and possibly die, just like in W101. Whether you think BRB should have included these more complex elements in the demos (while entirely disregarding the fact that people were already confused and frustrated enough with the basic enemies and controls, thinking that this would be a good business decision) or not is irrelevant: Your needs don't come first. The general audience's does.

And guess what? The same thing happens in Boom.

The latter argument is just stupid, though.

"Wow, you get rewarded for mashing a button in a different way? Who cares. I think that this game that lets me mash my buttons in a different way and actually rewards me for doing so is muuuuch better than that design. Pfft, what a superficial design philosophy."

I've been meaning to ask, but do we even know if that is the only way to attack the bosses? Tails has weapons, so why shouldn't his attacks register as a hit, like Mario's fireballs on the Koopalings?

For someone who said they played Wonderful 101, you don't act like it. "You only get Wonder Red and Blue."

So should we forget about Wonder Green and Pink and Black etc?

"No combos or upgrades"

...except there ARE. E.G Early on blue gets a rising slash move.

Did you just play the bleeding demo? With Boom, that's all we have to currently go off, but 101 is a released game.

With regards to Wonderful 101, "button masher" undermines its combat compared to Boom.

Also, yeah, E3 demoers are dense at times. But what about that Cobermani guy? He was there, he's a seasoned gamer even in the Sonic department, and yet nope, the combat still looks dull.

Also placing the combat on a lower level for the demo was stupid because of the impressions it creates. Fleshed out combat would have made the demo less tedious, as is a complaint levelled against the combat.

And OK, say the combat is too complicated for the simpletons you make E3 attendees out to be.

Then that's an issue in itself! It means the combat is badly conveyed, and so you basically just brought up another reason the combat concept is flawed.

If they want to show us how the combat is intersting, they should have done that. Like with the boss, maybe Tails can attack it with weapons - so why the fuck not show that to alleviate concerns about repetitive gameplay?

Come back when you've played past the first level of Wonderful 101, then compare Boom's balls combat to it.

As it stands, I think Boom looks crap. I never said I KNOW it'll be crap at launch. But I think it looks as tedious as the Unwiished werehog, and that was dreadful enough. The absysmal looking speed sections don't help.

And Shade? Let me help you understand why there's a divide.

Its called opinions. What you might think looks great might look terrible to someone else. Regardless of how apparent the divide is.

• Thumbs Up 2