Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Yet when you look at Sonic, he's getting plenty of previews, all of which are focused on the gameplay.

I think the only reason everyone is actually reviewing this game at E3 is because it has Sonic in the title.

It's Sonic, of course they're previewing it at E3. Regardless of the quality of his games over the years he's one of the biggest icons in gaming, so yes they'll put some focus on him.

And I'd rather have them focus on the gameplay because if the gameplay's shite then I don't give a damn if it musters up the best story or graphics in the world. Can't cover a turd in ice cream sprinkles and say it's a wonderful thing suddenly.

On that point, is it even possible to put a slow-paced game in E3 and have people come away impressed with it in all the rush that is E3? Especially when they have nothing to go on previously to guarantee the enjoyment of the title?

Yeah, about that whole "rush of E3 thing..." not buying it given GameXplain spent 2 HOURS with the Wii U version and still came away relatively unimpressed.

Even if that doesn't sound like much, it's more than that 15 minute Ratchet and Clank one.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's Sonic, of course they're previewing it at E3. Regardless of the quality of his games over the years he's one of the biggest icons in gaming, so yes they'll put some focus on him.

And I'd rather have them focus on the gameplay because if the gameplay's shite then I don't give a damn if it musters up the best story or graphics in the world. Can't cover a turd in ice cream sprinkles and say it's a wonderful thing suddenly.

I know, I know, but what I'm saying is: All the other review sites just let these types of games hype themselves, as most of the few times they do preview them without knowing what the series does, they say "it's impossible to judge how well the game will be in the full experience", as they've learned in the past from franchises in the same genre, whereas the previewers of Boom are taking everything at face value as a Sonic game, as if they represent the entirety of the game with this demo.

Isn't that the wrong mentality for these types of games? It's how some people viewed R&C: aCiT, yet that game got 9/10s all over the place.

Yeah, about that whole "rush of E3 thing..." not buying it given GameXplain spent 3 HOURS with the Wii U version and still came away relatively unimpressed.

GameXplain? The guys who got a hold of the demo before E3 and leaked it? Isn't that why they got so much time with it?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know, I know, but what I'm saying is: All the other review sites just let these types of games hype themselves, as most of the few times they do preview them without knowing what the series does, they say "it's impossible to judge how well the game will be in the full experience", as they've learned in the past from franchises in the same genre, whereas the previewers of Boom are taking everything at face value as a Sonic game, as if they represent the entirety of the game with this demo.

Isn't that the wrong mentality for these types of games? It's how some people viewed R&C: aCiT, yet that game got 9/10s all over the place.

I have not seen anyone 'review' the game based on the demo. At all. Maybe they don't close with that specific "We'll need to wait for the full game" but if you're taking it as them reviewing the whole experience then that's in your court, I reckon. 

If they're saying it's crap, it's because what they played is crap. And if they're then assuming about the rest of the game, it's because from what we can tell the rest of the game follows the same gameplay as what the demo showed - speed levels and combat levels. So it's not entirely unreasonable to think that if the demo levels that showed the gameplay the game is going to be following was crud, then the rest of the game that uses said crappy gameplay will be crap.

Ratchet and Clank got 9/10s because it was a good game. Simple as. And I can't comment on the people who held the current 'Boom is gonna suck' mindset with R&C because every preview I read including the one you showed me, said it was shaping up well, fitting with the 9/10s it got.

GameXplain? The guys who got a hold of the demo before E3 and leaked it? Isn't that why they got so much time with it?

Aye, those guys.

Whether they got to play it before or after E3 doesn't mean much really, as they held the same opinions as those who played it during the E3 rush. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the previewing outlets had their own 2 hour slot to try the game for the preview. 

EDIT: In fact upon re-reading it that Ratchet and Clank review focused nigh-exclusively on the gameplay. I don't get your point about it focusing less on the gameplay than the Boom previews.

Deleter, I don't quite get the point of your posts at the moment. Are you trying to insinuate that the previews are all wrong because Boom is a slow, combat focused platformer? Or are you suggesting that it's just because it's a Sonic game and not at all what people want or expect? Because either way that's a pretty weak attempt to, again, dismiss all the things we've heard. The game is getting negative reception for a reason, and that's because people don't like what they've been playing. It's that simple.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have not seen anyone 'review' the game based on the demo. At all. Maybe they don't close with that specific "We'll need to wait for the full game" but if you're taking it as them reviewing the whole experience then that's in your court, I reckon. 

If they're saying it's crap, it's because what they played is crap. And if they're then assuming about the rest of the game, it's because from what we can tell the rest of the game follows the same gameplay as what the demo showed - speed levels and combat levels. So it's not entirely unreasonable to think that if the demo levels that showed the gameplay the game is going to be following was crud, then the rest of the game that uses said crappy gameplay will be crap.

Ratchet and Clank got 9/10s because it was a good game. Simple as. And I can't comment on the people who held the current 'Boom is gonna suck' mindset with R&C because every preview I read including the one you showed me, said it was shaping up well, fitting with the 9/10s it got.

Aye, those guys.

Whether they got to play it before or after E3 doesn't mean much really, as they held the same opinions as those who played it during the E3 rush. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the previewing outlets had their own 2 hour slot to try the game for the preview. 

EDIT: In fact upon re-reading it that Ratchet and Clank review focused nigh-exclusively on the gameplay. I don't get your point about it focusing less on the gameplay than the Boom previews.

Ah, you're right about the R&C review. Been in the dumps mentally today, must not have looked at it well enough. Still, that's the only official preview I could find, so my other point stands.

But you know what, forget it. I was going to bring up the fact that GX spent around two hours playing the same level over and over, but that's probably bogus reasoning. I'll just wait until I can get out of this funk before I post like this again.

On that point, is it even possible to put a slow-paced game in E3 and have people come away impressed with it in all the rush that is E3?

You are never serious with this?

• Thumbs Up 2

So, if hypothetically, Shadow was playable in Sonic Boom (which I doubt), how do you think he'd be different from Sonic? Like, would he use weapons of some sort?

Probably not. I'd wager he'd either have a different platforming gimmick and otherwise play as Sonic, or just be a Sonic clone.

Everything about

footage gives me the same vibes the Spyro reboots gave me.

Fuck, they redesigned Lyric now and he's some level 1 purple dragon called Unnamed? Either that, or you posted the wrong link.

Fuck, they redesigned Lyric now and he's some level 1 purple dragon called Unnamed? Either that, or you posted the wrong link.

I don't see lyric nor any mention of him in that video so ummm.... what?

Everything about

footage gives me the same vibes the Spyro reboots gave me.
I love spyro, if it does have that kind of vibes then I would play it

So, if hypothetically, Shadow was playable in Sonic Boom (which I doubt), how do you think he'd be different from Sonic? Like, would he use weapons of some sort?

With how he's been done in the past, he'd probably be a Sonic clone with maybe the Chaos Control as an exclusive ability.

I don't see lyric nor any mention of him in that video so ummm.... what?

It's a joke, son. Just roll with it.

^ Yeah, I was also posting links in Skype at the time and I mixed a few up lol By the way I'm a girl :P

^ Yeah, I was also posting links in Skype at the time and I mixed a few up lol By the way I'm a girl :P

Um, Do we need to know that your girl?

I'm so sorry for getting off topic. So, does anyone know what the crystals, that are mentioned in the sonic and amy cutscene, do?

No, Frost has not provided any details except that Lyric is collecting them to power up his robot army.

Thats all we know.

However, I am sure that these chaos crystals have another purpose which will be reavealed.

Perhaps they are where there is a large amount of Chaos Energy located.

Otherwise I am unsure.

Um, do we need to know that your girl?

It's just respectful to refer to someone as what they give out. Nobody needed to know, speaking strictly from a practical perspective, but if our new poster prefers it then it's an extremely simple courtesy to perform.

Misgendering someone is a social error and should be avoided. If someone takes the right of way to politely correct someone about which pronouns they should use in reference to them, the response generally shouldn't be "did we need to know that," mainly because yes- you should know the gender of the person you're engaging with and use neutral pronouns if you don't.

Ya, but isn't it below our icons, all the info.......I know that your a female, because below your picture it says "Gender:Female". Again, I'm so sorry for getting off topic and I'm not trying to agrue with anyone. If it seems that I am then, my bad.

Ya, but isn't it below our icons, all the info.......I know that your a female, because below your picture it says "Gender:Female". Again, I'm so sorry for getting off topic and I'm not trying to agrue with anyone. If it seems that I am then, my bad.

She pointed that out specifically because of the following quote:

This was the link he had first posted by mistake - http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=9988&tab=dragon&did=4574302

While it wasn't super-clear in her post, she was responding to Blue Blood, rather than just making a general, out-of-nowhere statement about her gender. Since she didn't quote him, I can see how it might come across that way to you, but yeah, that's why she brought it up.

• Thumbs Up 4

She pointed that out specifically because of the following quote:

While it wasn't super-clear in her post, she was responding to Blue Blood, rather than just making a general, out-of-nowhere statement about her gender. Since she didn't quote him, I can see how it might come across that way to you, but yeah, that's why she brought it up.

Well, sorry.

Some people from Gametrailers talked about Boom.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/y7tl6d/gt-time-rated-m-for-mature

Starts around the 43:00 mark. Don't expect any positivity.

Meh, I don't care for gametrailers

Actually I think people should listen to that GT segment. Only I would start the conversation from 42:30.

Basically, they talk about 'What was the biggest dupe' ever at E3. 

They then start talking about Boom.

"It sucks, it's trash, it's bad, it's really really bad"

"No amount of feedback is going to save that game"

Then they start talking about how Kyle was told 'Sega promised they changed it' hence the whole 'biggest dupe at E3' portion of the conversation.