Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Hmm, if Jak games are any indicator, you're going to have to collect some sort of item in enough of a quantity to be able to replay levels or cutscenes.

I really hope they don't do that, boooo. Pissed me off royally having to collect the soundtrack and tapes in Unleashed. But if it's open world, they most likely will.

So long as we don't get animals/medals/etc. required for completing the main story, at least...

I wonder if they'll go with an angle like the gems in Crash Twinsanity.

• Thumbs Up 1

If tbats the case then they should have just brought the chaos emeralds back

My entire interest in this "Ultimate Universe" rests on one question and the answer to it will make or break any chance of me getting a Wii U just for the few interesting games it has: Will there be dashpads?

Untitled.jpg

Dashpads check 

I meant like how the gems in Twinsanity unlocked content.

Speaking of gems It seems like we are going to go to at least one mine in the game judging from all the shovels and pick axes(As well as you know the mine)

sb19.JPG

Also once again here's the(updated) list of 50 out 60 Big Red Button Member

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid=5981107976511367154&oid=116290273509678331027

I added in a few more people and some links to thier portfolios.

All i can say is it is a really diverse and experience team containing not just people who workd on jak,rachet & clank,spyro but also people who worked on god of war, playstation battle royal and at least one pixar animator.

just click to go through

• Thumbs Up 1

Where on earth are you finding all this? Not that I mind, of course. I love me some mine levels. District 12, holla~!

But siriusly. Mines and dashpads. Totally not hating on this game at all thus far, especially with the four player functionality.

Untitled.jpg

Dashpads check 

Are you certain of this? It looks more like a ramp that you use to spindash up walls.

Untitled.jpg

Dashpads check 

Eh, that looks more like a Spindash accessible ramp, as opposed to a dash pad.

Untitled.jpg

Dashpads check 

Speaking of gems It seems like we are going to go to at least one mine in the game judging from all the shovels and pick axes(As well as you know the mine)

sb19.JPG

Also once again here's the(updated) list of 50 out 60 Big Red Button Member

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid=5981107976511367154&oid=116290273509678331027

I added in a few more people and some links to thier portfolios.

All i can say is it is a really diverse and experience team containing not just people who workd on jak,rachet & clank,spyro but also people who worked on god of war, playstation battle royal and at least one pixar animator.

just click to go through

So members from Santa Monica are there too....looks like we have quite the talented group at Big Red Button :); its unbelievable that so many Sony guy's are working on a Sonic game. Maybe they should helped out Sonic Team with the Werehog for Unleashed, with God of War guys here wink.png.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a ramp that functioned like a dash pad. Basically just a "touch this if you're Sonic to go up here" gimmick.

Good chance you guys are right I just assumed it was because of the way it was glowing i guess

Anyway I put all the member into one picture and you wont need to use google to access it sadly you wont be able to just copy and paste the employee names with this method.

Team.jpg

All I can say is it is a really diverse and experience team containing not just people who workd on jak,rachet & clank, spyro but also people who worked on god of war, playstation battle royal and people from dreamworks,pixar, warner brothers and santa monica.

• Thumbs Up 7

Lots of critically-acclaimed franchises... my optimism continues to intensify, to say the least.

If this team can't make Sonic mainstream again, I don't know who can. Could Sonic possibly lead a resurgence of the platforming genre?

Sony's games did get lots or reception like the Crash games being huge hits on PS1, the Ratchet series being best sellers on PS2 along with being the huge headliner for the PS3 (I remember the "What a Wonderful World" ad for Tools of Destruction), and the God of War series being amazing games (GOW 2, 3 and Ghost of Sparta stand as some of my favorite action games of all time), so many of those guys working on Sonic is...quite something :).

I wonder if Sega America knew this when signing these guys on to Sonic Boom, as even for a new studio, their is ALOT of huge talent here from many different high-tier Sony studios, so Sega might of hit jackpot here.

As it is, my major concern about Booms gameplay is that it simply might not be Sonic enough. The team certainly fills me with confidence that the game will be quality.

Sonic Team is helping out BRB (they approved of the new designs for starters) plus people there like Bob Rafie have alot of respect for the Sonic name, so I think it will be Sonic-like :). The gameplay looking like a mix of Jak and Daxter X Sonic Adventure gives me alot of hope there.

Good chance you guys are right I just assumed it was because of the way it was glowing i guess

Anyway I put all the member into one picture and you wont need to use google to access it sadly you wont be able to just copy and paste the employee names with this method.

[Team.jpg

All I can say is it is a really diverse and experience team containing not just people who workd on jak,rachet & clank, spyro but also people who worked on god of war, playstation battle royal and people from dreamworks,pixar, warner brothers and santa monica.

What, there are Pixar, Warner and Dreamworks guys here?!? ....Can't believe that, having top-tier CGI/Story guys in a development studio, could explain why the animations for Sonic and Company looked so smooth in that trailer.

• Thumbs Up 5

I just thought about something. remember when sega said they won't bring Sonic Boom to japan right. and remember back in 2012 when 

Sega didn't bring Sonic and stars racing transformed to japan. well, i figured out what their doing, since Sonic Boom isn't coming to japan they were waiting for 2014 to announce transformed for japan, so the japanese wouldn't complain that they didn't get a sonic game. so, what do you guys think?

I just thought about something. remember when sega said they won't bring Sonic Boom to japan right. and remember back in 2012 when 

Sega didn't bring Sonic and stars racing transformed to japan. well, i figured out what their doing, since Sonic Boom isn't coming to japan they were waiting for 2014 to announce transformed for japan, so the japanese wouldn't complain that they didn't get a sonic game. so, what do you guys think?

I doubt they would be worried about people in japan complaining.

What they do care about is money and right now they believe releasing sonic in japan would cause them to lose money.

So the only way they would bring it to japan is if that belief changed and unless sonic boom get as popular as adventure time or something I don't see the demand in japan increasing cause of it.

That being said its nowhere near unheard of for a game that had no plans to be released in the west to be ported due to massive success so who knows maybe the reverse is also possible.

What amazes me, thinking about it, is that SEGA doesn't likewise create a super-Japanese styled canon of Sonic as well and sell that in Japan instead of the other games. Granted, that would put SEGA!Sonic in a precarious position since he'd no longer really have any reason to keep him around - America gets Boom Sonic and Japan gets their new Japanese Sonic.

Though back to game design, they did say they took inspiration from Adventure and the classic titles so that leaves me optimistic there will still be high speed action in places, just mixed with some more platforming elements.

I remain unconvinced that this game is going to be recognizable as a Sonic game, all the talk of how they function in combat and all the context sensitive abilities continue to suggest that this is more of a "kids character action game" kind of affair. I also get the impression that I'm the only one getting this impression, but I'm skeptical of it being otherwise when they're making so much ado of how characters fight, it was never an appreciable part of the moment to moment experience of most Sonic games. Heroes, Shadow, and 06 are the only games to give the normal gameplay combat specific mechanics.

• Thumbs Up 7

I remain unconvinced that this game is going to be recognizable as a Sonic game, all the talk of how they function in combat and all the context sensitive abilities continue to suggest that this is more of a "kids character action game" kind of affair. I also get the impression that I'm the only one getting this impression, but I'm skeptical of it being otherwise when they're making so much ado of how characters fight, it was never an appreciable part of the moment to moment experience of most Sonic games. Heroes, Shadow, and 06 are the only games to give the normal gameplay combat specific mechanics.

So what your saying is, is that you think it might a great game?  Just not a great Sonic game?

So what your saying is, is that you think it might a great game?  Just not a great Sonic game?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I could live with that.

But I don't want that to be the new future of Sonic, especially if Boom becomes popular. Heck not even that, like BlueBlood stated before there isn't even a lot of Sonic universe references like checkpoints, springs, dash panels, heck even the chaos emeralds arent in it. Sure it's a new universe and we have only seen less than a minute of footage, I'm just apprehensive, how much can you take out of Sonic and have it still be "Sonic"

• Thumbs Up 1