Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I believe one of the interviews said we'll hear more info on the games near E3, so yeah, sure this May release isn't real (barely any time to actually promote the games imo).

Character models confirmed for remaining poop then? :v

Nah though not sure if that's telling the truth. And even if it was that's quite a bit of space to leave until the show begins..

Technically the characters models could be the work in progress.

Also one major point to debunk this is that the game would have been present in the direct last week. Because of their partnership

Edit false alarm guys it was clarified

That can't be true, May is too early to even advertise the game let alone release it! And like Mysterion said, somebody already confirmed there will more at E3. So yah.

That can't be true, May is too early to even advertise the game let alone release it! And like Mysterion said, somebody already confirmed there will more at E3. So yah.

Its been debunked already in the same article

3 yr dev

I know, man. In fact I was the one who posted the news in this very thread.

I'm just saying that they were pretty clear about this being a work in progress. You dont say something like that so close to release, you don't want to seem like you're rushing to finish your game. Which made me really skeptical about the whole thing.

This was the point I was making.

Posting here for great justice.

If you take a look at this image from the new york toy fair.

boomprotoplaysets2.jpg

Another vehicle can be seen in the background just behind Burn Bot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well thank God the May thing was a misunderstanding.

It could be from the show or game... but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Boom!Sonic makes its way into the next All Stars title, which we could very possibly see next year.

Now the real question. Will they include both the SEGA and Boom models in that case, or just Boom?

Hell will break loose if the second.

Maybe that awesome car will be involved in the games akin to that dragster in Generations' Seaside Hill Act 2 level and function similarly.

I get the feeling there will be at least one or two racing areas in the game, much like how Ratchet, Jak, and Crash all had racing areas as well. It's a standard gimmick for this team's platformers.

This will also translate to racing stages for multiplayer as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

The more I hear. "This used to be in a Jax/Crash/Ratchet/Spyro game" the more worried I am becoming. I'm sure the game will be great, but I don't want a Jax/Crash/Ratchet/Spyro ripoff, otherwise I would play one of their games. I don't care about "new Universe" it's still Sonic and as such I expect a certain amount of sonic aspects and differentiation from other franchises. They may be good developers, I have no doubt they are but are they good SONIC developers? It seems like (from the commentary from Ogilvie and others) that they are just mixing a load of aspects from their older games into this one because " we've done it before".

Hover boards? Cars? Gadgets? Open world? Collectables? Different gameplays within the same game?

Sounds like a spiritual successor to Jak to me. I can live with that~

• Thumbs Up 4

The series has had so many different gameplay styles at this point that I don't think it's unfitting for a Jak-style game. I've already said that I think the style of storytelling in Jak would be perfect for Sonic.

Tails will probably play exactly like a faster Jak who can fly, but I don't think that's unfitting. After all, Shadow the Hedgehog was basically just cashing in on the popularity of Jak and Ratchet, but it was just a lot less fun than Jak and Ratchet. So we've come full circle in that sense. Sonic will probably just play like his Adventure self, but with some melee moves. It's not a big change. Amy and Knuckles are gonna be more combat heavy, but it still looks distinctly Sonic. All the gameplay styles look Sonicy enough for me.

What would separate this game from Jak is the level design. I think the BRB guys are versatile and competent enough to make Sonic levels rather than Jak levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, JoltTH, it's pure speculation on my and mostly everyone's part. So far we only have a few screenshots that look more Sony platformer than Sonic, however, so it's a safe guess we'll be seeing some gameplay elements as well.

However, they did state they take inspiration from several Sonic titles. So even if the game does have a lot in common with the games that made early PlayStation such a success, I doubt Sonic elements will be removed completely.

That said, sometimes change is good. Jak and Daxter was alright as it was, but then Jak II came along and made it this huge GTA-esque game that was dark and edgy and yet incredibly fresh and fun to play. I don't think Sonic's going down the dark and edgy route (though if anyone could do it well it's gonna be Naughty Dog expats), but it's a safe assumption they're going to mix things up, most likely for the better.

Given how mediocre a lot of Sonic's titles are, it's not necessarily a bad thing to break away from a lot of them in overall design.

• Thumbs Up 2

I get the feeling there will be at least one or two racing areas in the game, much like how Ratchet, Jak, and Crash all had racing areas as well. It's a standard gimmick for this team's platformers.

This will also translate to racing stages for multiplayer as well.

Ya know even though the past developers are making it, I don't really think we can expect elements from those games, cause like you guys say, they are pretty competent developers and I don't think they would use sonic as a means to clutter in a whole bunch of things from the games they used to work on. Also, I'm not really sure this has ever been the case with any other game but just because the team working on this used to work on things like that doesn't mean it will necessarily be like it (except for maybe a few things).

Jak became a better series after the 1st game, it just was super fun and different from the first, it was done right in every regard, and the difficulty was nothing to scoff at either, the game was just polished in every way, it was also decent in length both story wise and side quest stuff, and it didn't feel padded since they kept adding new ways to reward you i.e. Hoverboard to be used anywhere in the game whenever you wanted, then all the weapons had upgrades, but the weapons were introduced in such a way that you didn't just go trigger happy with them because of how they were designed and how little ammo capacity you start out with etc.

But also, I really liked the other gameplay styles, like the arena races & target shooting ring, really added depth to the game making it feel more like an involved verse rather than doing stuff just to give the player something to do in game, it was just written really well... And didn't I mention the lack of loading screens concealed behind in-game props like doors unlocking, or ships taking off?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hover boards? Cars? Gadgets? Open world? Collectables? Different gameplays within the same game?

Sounds like a spiritual successor to Jak to me. I can live with that~

Same for me, but I'm also getting a few Crash Bandicoot vibes too. All the more reason for me to grin.

Hey i found something in the trailer that some of you may find interesting.

Its just a still of the trailer however i only caught it by watching the trailer frame by frame since the image only lasts a single frame.

All you see is amy running through the same area she was in with sonic but she's several meters away from where she will be just one frame later and with sonic nowhere in the shot.

All I see in the image itself is the enemy with the green machine gun in actual gameplay for the first time

(I think). The enemy hidden in the green also appears bigger and may be holding a shield but that may just be grasping for straws.

Anyway enough talk here's the image

sbs1.jpeg

also to compare here is 1 frame later

sbs2.jpeg

and 1 frame before

sbs3.jpeg

let me know if you spot anything i didn't.

I think I spotted something you didn't: that level is really bland. Also its materials are a splitting image of a reoccurring level trope from Crash Bandicoot.

So what your saying is, is that you think it might a great game?  Just not a great Sonic game?

A great game? At this point I'd say that's assuming a lot. They've shown so little thus far and we have seen seems remarkably unremarkable.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I could live with that.

Dota's a pretty good game, if you don't mind I'll just play that instead. I'm not even sure what I'm arguing for here, it's not like I can reasonably expect Sega themselves to really make a Sonic game at this point. I mean, calling Lost World a Sonic game is already a stretch. I don't think a single mechanic from Sonic 1 remains in that game. I guess they knew it, because they shoved in as much superficial nostalgia bait detailing as they could.

If you're worried about Sonic-y ness you shouldn't. Wanna know why? ... it's a new universe and that alone therefore lets it be as different as it wants if it keeps key things. "Like checkpoints" ... no. This is technically a, "What if Sonic was made in and for America from the beginning." Which I know thats not completely what they're going for but that is what it is. Also on a brighter note they said they were taking inspiration from SA1 Sonic 2 and something else. So they know about checkpoints and stuff :P how else would we finish those big explorative levels otherwise ^-^

I feel like this argument is comparable to saying that Sonic labyrinth being slow is ok because it's justified in the story. I still don't understand why they're doing any of this. Why have they had French animators redesign the cast when Japanese anime style started life as French cartoonists style with Disney eyes? Why have they shipped development of this game to a bunch of people with the directive of making it so distinct from what's come before when Japanese people have until now been perfectly able to make a Sonic game appealing to western audiences? What exactly are they expecting to happen?

For the record, I've never believed the story that Sonic was never popular in Japan. Here's what really happened: The Mega Drive was never popular in Japan. The only Sega console that can really be called a success in Japan was the Saturn, of all things, the only Sega console that decade to not have a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 4

A great game? At this point I'd say that's assuming a lot. They've shown so little thus far and we have seen seems remarkably unremarkable.

Since when did I say it was going to be a great game.  I said the word "think".  As in I assumed it is going to be a good game.  you know just as much as I do.

Sigh. Its more or less just being optimistic for something that looks quite enjoyable, to me at least. It's sad that we've come so far along with Sonic and can't except... forget it. It seems you just keep trying to convince us it's not going to be good, even if you're not doing it directly. I don't care anymore, I'll just be optimistic with the others who are because trying to conveince people to at least give it a chance doesn't seem to be working.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh. Its more or less just being optimistic for something that looks quite enjoyable, to me at least. It's sad that we've come so far along with Sonic and can't except... forget it. It seems you just keep trying to convince us it's not going to be good, even if you're not doing it directly. I don't care anymore, I'll just be optimistic with the others who are because trying to conveince people to at least give it a chance doesn't seem to be working.

Amen!

I don't think he is trying to convince anyone it's a bad gane, rather he is, like other members such as myself, wary about what they are doing to this new franchise. Plenty of other spinoff games have still felt very much like Sonic in their gameplay , heck even Shadow, a game in the "dark ages" so far looks exponentially more "Sonicy" than this does.

It's would be like if they changed Zelda from an action/adventure game into a 3D platformer (the reverse of what is happening here). It could be a great game but people would be skeptical about how much it felt like a "Zelda" game.infact look at the Hyrule warriors spin off title they are making , it's a spinoff but it looks very much like a Zelda game.

Boom however seems to conpletely change everything, they are removing the chaos enerds, redesigned the characters, the environments, while spectacular, look more realistic than "sonicy realistic" that wa shown in curs and gens and even unleashed and the gameplay elements just don't seem to add up to a Sonic game THJS FAR.

I'm keeping an open mind but I am a bit skeptical they are removing anything they can and making a "Ratchet/Crash/Jax" gane starring Sonic just because "lol new universe"

It's sorta akin to the Archie debacle going on (although that actually has a good reason)

When the company who owns Sonic isn't capable of carrying the series past mediocrity then I honestly don't care how it plays as long as it's good. Sonic changes shit up all the time and I honestly can't see anything that makes a Sonic game, a Sonic game this day in age besides series staples like loop-de-loops, rings and Eggman being the main villain. Please tell me what was the last game to use Classic Physics of curling and slopes, even Generations Classic Sonic didn't get everything perfect to how it used to be.

If Boom! ends up playing like a Jak or Ratchet title, then I'll take it as long as it's good. Since I'm honestly sick of Sonic Team disappointing every time, and this is coming from someone who supported all the shit titles too, even I'm getting sick of SEGA failing to deliver :l

• Thumbs Up 9