Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

The latest Sonic Talk podcast at SEGAbits features a Sonic Boom round table and a short Sonic Boom interview with Mike Pollock - check it out! 

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/02/17/sonic-talk-25-were-gonna-need-more-sports-tape/

Err, about that.

Herein lies the SEGAbits Podcast we've been waiting for!

http://youtu.be/d7PQ6eBiec8

Fair enough. XD. OH and speaking of which, any estimates about when the interview with Stephen Frost is due?

If you're worried about Sonic-y ness you shouldn't. Wanna know why? ... it's a new universe and that alone therefore lets it be as different as it wants if it keeps key things. "Like checkpoints" ... no. This is technically a, "What if Sonic was made in and for America from the beginning." Which I know thats not completely what they're going for but that is what it is. Also on a brighter note they said they were taking inspiration from SA1 Sonic 2 and something else. So they know about checkpoints and stuff :P how else would we finish those big explorative levels otherwise ^-^

Oh hey! That's the podcast I was invited to; now you can all hear my annoying voice without worry!

As far as I'm concerned, a game starring Sonic and co. is a Sonic game.

Amen.

If you're worried about Sonic-y ness you shouldn't. Wanna know why? ... it's a new universe and that alone therefore lets it be as different as it wants if it keeps key things. "Like checkpoints" ... no. This is technically a, "What if Sonic was made in and for America from the beginning." Which I know thats not completely what they're going for but that is what it is. Also on a brighter note they said they were taking inspiration from SA1 Sonic 2 and something else. So they know about checkpoints and stuff tongue.png how else would we finish those big explorative levels otherwise ^-^

We've had plenty of spinoffs in the past that went against a lot of what Sonic was about as memory serves, but that wasn't really much of a concern. I think this game gets a lot of concern because it's a given that they're going to look into sequels, and there's that looming fear that SEGA is lying through its teeth about not making this a reboot or at least a de facto reboot.

They change the gameplay style a fair bit each game, however, so provided they still have speed elements I'm not seeing much difference.

They key difference being Naughty Dog folks are a solid team and can most likely have a shift in overall genre work. Whereas Sonic Team is more like throwing darts at a board in terms of quality.

If the board was only one circle big. Maybe two.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh hey! That's the podcast I was invited to; now you can all hear my annoying voice without worry!

Which one is you?

I also think they won't do too dramatic a shift in gameplay because I assume one of their ulterior motives is to get people interested in the mainline Sonic games as well.

Of course, SEGA's tried that before with the games and Archie comics, so I've no idea how often that works.

Which one is you?

I start speaking at about 2:39; I'm Tanner.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're worried about Sonic-y ness you shouldn't. Wanna know why? ... it's a new universe and that alone therefore lets it be as different as it wants if it keeps key things. "Like checkpoints" ... no. This is technically a, "What if Sonic was made in and for America from the beginning." Which I know thats not completely what they're going for but that is what it is. Also on a brighter note they said they were taking inspiration from SA1 Sonic 2 and something else. So they know about checkpoints and stuff tongue.png how else would we finish those big explorative levels otherwise ^-^

I don't buy this. 

The Sonic series has an identity. They can change what they want, add what they want and remove what they want, but at the end of the day it's still supposed to be Sonic, albeit another take. There's got to be plenty of elements there so that it remains familiar. If you were to say "Oh hey, don't worry about Skylanders because it's a new universe", you 'd only be met by a bunch of angry Spyro fans who can't find what they're looking for in the Skylanders series. 

Also, drop what you're saying about checkpoints because you don't seem to be understanding it properly. Many games nowadays don't even use them the way Sonic days and that's not an issue that anyone is taking.

• Thumbs Up 3

Fair enough. XD. OH and speaking of which, any estimates about when the interview with Stephen Frost is due?

We record Monday, likely to be posted late Tuesday (next week).

So there might be vehicles in this game.

boomsonicelectronic.jpg

Now this one could be dismissed as them just wanting to make an RC car... however there's also this one.

boomknuckles.jpg

Knuckles and what appears to be a hover board. Given the size of that accessory, it looks like it'll be packaged with the figure.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02/sonic-boom-even-more-sonic-toys-revealed/

• Thumbs Up 1

The toys are based more on the TV show than the game, so the vehicles might just be from that. Who knows though? Looks cool at any rate.

What about the penguin-like Sonic in the bottom left?

I think its doing something like the spindash....

Maybe there is a sonic figure that can fit into a ball and roll overtongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Release in May 2014?

[...At Toy Fair 2014, a Tomy public relations representative told that we can expect the 3DS and Wii U versions of Sonic Boom to arrive some time in May. They also gave us word that the release window for the actual animated series will be in September...]

http://arcadesushi.com/sonic-boom-rushing-our-way-in-may/

Well it has been in dev for 3 yrs

Release in May 2014?

[...At Toy Fair 2014, a Tomy public relations representative told that we can expect the 3DS and Wii U versions of Sonic Boom to arrive some time in May. They also gave us word that the release window for the actual animated series will be in September...]

http://arcadesushi.com/sonic-boom-rushing-our-way-in-may/

That really doesn't leave them much time for a product they so carefully advertised as a work in progress...

:/

That really doesn't leave them much time for a product they so carefully advertised as a work in progress...

:/

3 yr dev

Character models confirmed for remaining poop then? :v

Nah though not sure if that's telling the truth. And even if it was that's quite a bit of space to leave until the show begins..