Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Well the official word is that the Nintendo Direct covers Wii U and 3DS games through Spring this year. So I guess it depends on Boom's unknown release date on if it gets shown or not.

X's producer and Platinum Games are saying they will be retweeting news, so I guess X and Bayonetta are getting some time on it. Should be interesting. Perhaps Boom will be shown if only to get it out there to people that may not have seen Sega's new posts...tho its kinda hard not to know considering how the net blew up with the news lol

Well the official word is that the Nintendo Direct covers Wii U and 3DS games through Spring this year. So I guess it depends on Boom's unknown release date on if it gets shown or not.

X's producer and Platinum Games are saying they will be retweeting news, so I guess X and Bayonetta are getting some time on it. Should be interesting. Perhaps Boom will be shown if only to get it out there to people that may not have seen Sega's new posts...tho its kinda hard not to know considering how the net blew up with the news lol

Considering the high chance that the 2nd Lost World DLC will probably be announced, it does give them a good transition to talk a little bit about Sonic Boom. Why not strike while the iron is hot!

• Thumbs Up 1

Tell me about it, even my friends from middle school who said Sonic sucked have now gotten wind of this info and saying how he's "become awesome".huh.pngblink.png

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA's got the mainstream population's attention. I don't know who's doing their marketing now but it looks like someone who knows what they're doing got the reins.

I mean, just by the looks, the hype, the team behind it, the dev time we know of, this is looking amazing. The only mark really against Boom that I can think of from a marketing perspective is that it's Nintendo-exclusive, though the 3DS' great sales and Wii U's likely to pick up sales will fix that.

• Thumbs Up 4

SEGA's got the mainstream population's attention. I don't know who's doing their marketing now but it looks like someone who knows what they're doing got the reins.

I mean, just by the looks, the hype, the team behind it, the dev time we know of, this is looking amazing. The only mark really against Boom that I can think of from a marketing perspective is that it's Nintendo-exclusive, though the 3DS' great sales and Wii U's likely to pick up sales will fix that.

Yeah I mean BRB must be a tad worried too unless Nintendo or Sega have paid them out a hefty sum already. Their first game to release and its on a console that isn't doing too well since the launch of its competition. I mean I love Nintendo and what they do, their exclusives etc, but at this point its not going to ever get the traction the Wii did. They could bring out some real killer games, it would shift units, but not the units the other two are starting to shift without even trying, people have already dismissed it. Kinda like the poor old Dreamcast and Gamecube.

The Wii was the first proper home motion control games machine, and it was reasonably cheap, it captured people's attention, and the "casual" got in on it like the plague. The Wii U doesn't have anything to rescue it from the harsh judging eye of gamers looking at it, comparing it to the other two systems, seeing that 3rd parties are stepping back already etc, and the casual have moved on to cheaper things like small games on their phones and tablets. What Nintendos machine has a tablet? That cool, I've already got one tho.

They did a terrible job marketing it and even now can't really show why it stands out. Not even the company that makes it can seem to show why the public should get one....that says something right there. They really disappointed me this time around I hate to say ;_;

I just hope this game sells well for BRB, wouldn't want their first to go down as a stinker and give them a harsh label and stigma right from the get go :/

I don't know why, but I actually get the feeling that both versions will end selling quite well. I dunno, maybe it's just the amount of promise and effort I've seen, coupled with the explosion of Sonic being broad-casted over the media, not to mention the tv show to aid it; I actually think this one'll sell a financial success for the game itself, Wii U or 3DS. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Apologies if this sort of thing is off-topic, but I thought I'd share a bit more Jak and Daxter stuff since we were talking about animations earlier and Bob Rafei was the lead art/animation director at Naughty Dog.

The graphics and animation quality improved dramatically after the first game, and you can see that at around 1:32 onwards. Random idle animations at 2:25, too.

The best part, however, is easily everything after 3:29. I can only hope Sonic Boom is at least half as hilarious. :P

• Thumbs Up 7

I was also including the cartoon series, since this game is suppose to be a prequel to it. Probably should have made that clear. :lol:

Guess that got ruled out with the recent TV Series interview huh. If each episode "resets" at the end, and there's no continuity, with no overarching story then I guess any extra characters used will be there then gone. No backstory, no arcs etc. Guess we have to play the game for that, tho they already said that won't concentrate on other characters besides the main ones too. Sooooo guess we just have to hope for a cameo and be happy with that.

Apologies if this sort of thing is off-topic, but I thought I'd share a bit more Jak and Daxter stuff since we were talking about animations earlier and Bob Rafei was the lead art/animation director at Naughty Dog.

The graphics and animation quality improved dramatically after the first game, and you can see that at around 1:32 onwards. Random idle animations at 2:25, too.

The best part, however, is easily everything after 3:29. I can only hope Sonic Boom is at least half as hilarious. :P

You know why I love this? It's succeeding in lots of things that Sonic Team have tried to do, but have never been able to pull off quite so well (often terribly). Now don't get me wrong, Sonic Team can excel at what they do. Most of the time though they really step outside not only what they're comfortable with, but also what they actually know and understand. BRB are in many ways going to be doing exactly what Sonic Team have tried to accomplish and not only in regards to art and animation. It's quite exciting.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Guess that got ruled out with the recent TV Series interview huh. If each episode "resets" at the end, and there's no continuity, with no overarching story then I guess any extra characters used will be there then gone. No backstory, no arcs etc. Guess we have to play the game for that, tho they already said that won't concentrate on other characters besides the main ones too. Sooooo guess we just have to hope for a cameo and be happy with that.

I don't see what's the point with that. I can see they don't want any arcs or progression, but at least if a character is introduced in an episode, it's stupid to reboot it like he never appeared (or perhaps every character who appears in more than 1 ep is known by Sonic since the beginning). I hope they change it in Season 2, other shows seem to do the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope that sanarzu games nails the 3ds verison and show Dimps a thing or two

Hmm.  If Boom shows up in Nintendo Direct today, maybe we'll get our first glimpse of the 3DS version.  As a 3DS owner rather than a Wii U owner, I can't really engage in the gameplay discussions so far...

• Thumbs Up 1

Has this interview been posted before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7VQ9Ny1n4

Nothing really new in terms of details, but it certainly sounds quite reassuring that they know what they're talking about. Gives me hope that this might actually be good!

EDIT: Woops, just seen it posted in the TV series topic. Guess that makes sense as it's more geared towards the show anyway :lol:

HEh, that's from back in 2011, probably around the time Sonic Boom began production. Maybe we might have that official feedback portal after all.

I don't see what's the point with that. I can see they don't want any arcs or progression, but at least if a character is introduced in an episode, it's stupid to reboot it like he never appeared (or perhaps every character who appears in more than 1 ep is known by Sonic since the beginning). I hope they change it in Season 2, other shows seem to do the same.

Its called the "status-quo." Almost every television series that isn't a serial follows this philosophy. Simpsons does it. Spongebob does it. Even Pokemon had a status-quo to some extent.

In all of these shows, new characters and elements are introduced, but the general status of the main cast is the same as it started.

Sonic games have been like this, too. The games are self-contained, and yet different events have a lasting impact on the understanding of the universe. Its basically how you should expect a show like Sonic Boom to work.

• Thumbs Up 5

Not really much to say, but I feel like I dig the direction of this. It's got detail and multiple characters and exploration again, and a sense of place.

I hope the 3DS version is good, considering it's all I have (haven't even played Generations or LW 3DS though, ell oh ell).

Not really much to say, but I feel like I dig the direction of this. It's got detail and multiple characters and exploration again, and a sense of place.

I hope the 3DS version is good, considering it's all I have (haven't even played Generations or LW 3DS though, ell oh ell).

Generations, eh. Lost World, no. But yeah, we need some footage of the 3DS version.

Its called the "status-quo." Almost every television series that isn't a serial follows this philosophy. Simpsons does it. Spongebob does it. Even Pokemon had a status-quo to some extent.

In all of these shows, new characters and elements are introduced, but the general status of the main cast is the same as it started.

Sonic games have been like this, too. The games are self-contained, and yet different events have a lasting impact on the understanding of the universe. Its basically how you should expect a show like Sonic Boom to work.

The Sonic games have always had a loose continuity. The problem is, I want them to TIGHTEN that continuity. They don't need to reference events of past games in every game, but I'd at least like explanations as to what happens to, for example, Eggman between games.

Even the early classics had continuity moving on into the Adventure games (the Adventure games did mention things related to Angel Island introduced in StH3), all the way through Sonic Heroes and into Shadow the Hedgehog (the continuity is a tad bit loose come Heroes, especially in regards to the fact that a third of the moon got blown up, but there is continuity when shown how Shadow was assumed dead and Rouge is out and about post-SA2).

Sonic '06 is also a tad bit lacking in continuity, though it does reference Shadow's connections to GUN. Honestly, the game seems to imply its an alternate timeline right from the start, or at least, it takes place several years after Shadow the Hedgehog.

It wasn't until the train wreck of Sonic '06 that the games took on a much, much looser continuity following that game. Sonic Unleashed doesn't reference any past games, and characters and organizations you'd think would be active with the world blown up don't even appear at all. Sonic Colors makes no references to Unleashed whatsoever, either.

Sonic Generations does in fact reference most of the games in the series and even seems to indicate that Eggman found Time Eater DIRECTLY following the events of Colors. Sonic even references the Storybook games, which does indicate they are canon.

At the end of the game, Eggman is trapped in the White World. Come Lost World, no mention is made of it and "Lost Hex" appears literally out of nowhere.

The only games not directly tied to the main continuity are spinoff games. Even then, the appearance of Blaze and Silver in Generations (they're first main game appearance other than Sonic '06, unless you count Colors DS) does tie in the Sonic Rush and Sonic Rival games, because they already have met Sonic and they only do so in their respective Rush/Rival sub-series.

Sonic Advance 1-2 already happened by Sonic Heroes, and since Sonic Battle happened before Sonic Advance 3, we also know that both these two games take place after Shadow the Hedgehog. Its not possible to place the Sonic Riders titles anywhere as, so far, they haven't been mentioned in other games (unless I missed something in Generations), but they have continuity between each other.

Its actually possible to tie most of the games in the series together this way. Currently, it sounds like Sonic Boom with have a Negative Continuity, though. That's a far cry from the games which at least do tie together somewhat.

The Sonic games have always had a loose continuity. The problem is, I want them to TIGHTEN that continuity. They don't need to reference events of past games in every game, but I'd at least like explanations as to what happens to, for example, Eggman between games.

Even the early classics had continuity moving on into the Adventure games (the Adventure games did mention things related to Angel Island introduced in StH3), all the way through Sonic Heroes and into Shadow the Hedgehog (the continuity is a tad bit loose come Heroes, especially in regards to the fact that a third of the moon got blown up, but there is continuity when shown how Shadow was assumed dead and Rouge is out and about post-SA2).

Sonic '06 is also a tad bit lacking in continuity, though it does reference Shadow's connections to GUN. Honestly, the game seems to imply its an alternate timeline right from the start, or at least, it takes place several years after Shadow the Hedgehog.

It wasn't until the train wreck of Sonic '06 that the games took on a much, much looser continuity following that game. Sonic Unleashed doesn't reference any past games, and characters and organizations you'd think would be active with the world blown up don't even appear at all. Sonic Colors makes no references to Unleashed whatsoever, either.

Sonic Generations does in fact reference most of the games in the series and even seems to indicate that Eggman found Time Eater DIRECTLY following the events of Colors. Sonic even references the Storybook games, which does indicate they are canon.

At the end of the game, Eggman is trapped in the White World. Come Lost World, no mention is made of it and "Lost Hex" appears literally out of nowhere.

The only games not directly tied to the main continuity are spinoff games. Even then, the appearance of Blaze and Silver in Generations (they're first main game appearance other than Sonic '06, unless you count Colors DS) does tie in the Sonic Rush and Sonic Rival games, because they already have met Sonic and they only do so in their respective Rush/Rival sub-series.

Sonic Advance 1-2 already happened by Sonic Heroes, and since Sonic Battle happened before Sonic Advance 3, we also know that both these two games take place after Shadow the Hedgehog. Its not possible to place the Sonic Riders titles anywhere as, so far, they haven't been mentioned in other games (unless I missed something in Generations), but they have continuity between each other.

Its actually possible to tie most of the games in the series together this way. Currently, it sounds like Sonic Boom with have a Negative Continuity, though. That's a far cry from the games which at least do tie together somewhat.

The only information we've gotten in regards to continuity is for the TV show, though. Rafei's has gone on record saying that not only is the producer of the show knowledgeable about video games and easy to work with, but also that the game and show have strong synergy with concepts on things like bosses being created for the game and integrated into the show, and vice versa. 

There's no indication that the games won't be allowed to have any continuity, and we still don't even know how loosely tied together the show is either. Adventure Time and Gravity Falls are also American comedy cartoons with loose continuity, but they both still have some meaningful backstories and plot threads introduced every once in a while. For a series as long-running as Sonic, this is fine. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I need to get a wii U before this game comes out. I'll also play the 3ds version too. smile.png

The only information we've gotten in regards to continuity is for the TV show, though. Rafei's has gone on record saying that not only is the producer of the show knowledgeable about video games and easy to work with, but also that the game and show have strong synergy with concepts on things like bosses being created for the game and integrated into the show, and vice versa. 

There's no indication that the games won't be allowed to have any continuity, and we still don't even know how loosely tied together the show is either. Adventure Time and Gravity Falls are also American comedy cartoons with loose continuity, but they both still have some meaningful backstories and plot threads introduced every once in a while. For a series as long-running as Sonic, this is fine. 

The fact that the games seem to have continuity is why I haven't lost interest in the game. I've lost a lot of interest in the cartoon, though, due to the notion that at this point so far, there's no continuity whatsoever. If there is a loose continuity that does connect to each other in the TV series, that's fine. That's not what we've heard right now, though.

Personally I think when it comes to these continuities is that they just feel like a mess.  If you looked at Sonic Adventure 2 and besides updated graphics, animation and the game telling you so then it could be classified as Sonic Adventure 1 for all we know.  The same with the rest of the series.  Why does Sonic Unleashed some before Sonic Colours, why does Eggman vanish into the timeless void at the end of Sonic Generations and then in Sonic Lost World randomly still be in the same world and why should we consider Sonic 06 to be canon with the rest of the Sonic universe when it was originally a reboot and erased its own plot right at the end but then thrown out the confusion even more so by putting it in Sonic Generations.

I mean of goodness sack the only story part of the series that I think makes sense continuity wise is the Mega Drive games with Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles.  And even then people are still guessing where Sonic CD ties into all this as well.  Does it happen before Sonic 2 or after.

Personally I think the best thing the Sonic franchise should do is either completely reboot the franchise (and I mean everything) or give us a origins game of say the first 3 games in the Unleashed formula or something. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A looser continuity also helps to ensure we don't end off on a god-forsaken cliffhanger (goddamn you SATAM and Sonic Underground!!!!).

A looser continuity also helps to ensure we don't end off on a god-forsaken cliffhanger (goddamn you SATAM and Sonic Underground!!!!)

I don't mind a looser continuity myself. I can't wait to see what they have in store.