Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Okay what the hell is leg day? Everybody keeps bringing it up and I have no idea what it even is,

Okay what teh hell is leg day? Everybody keeps bringing it up and I have no idea what it even is,

A day reserved for lower-body workouts, as opposed to upper-body workouts.

Okay what teh hell is leg day? Everybody keeps bringing it up and I have no idea what it even is,

Basically leg workouts. Which knuckles design is lacking compared to his upper body

A new press release has surfaced, and this one yields a dose of clarifying information. I've highlighted the bits that stand out significantly.

It’s part of a “Sonic” revolution.

Sonic and his three pals — tinkering fox Tails, brutish echidna Knuckles and hammer-wielding hedgehog Amy — are starring together in a new Nintendo 3DS and Wii U game, as well as a Cartoon Network series set for release later this year, called “Sonic Boom.” The games and TV series will share the new style, voice actors, locales, storylines and more. The collaborative take on “Sonic” will extend to merchandising, too.

“We’re looking at this more than just a video game,” said Marcella Churchill, senior marketing director of Sega of America. “Yes, Sega is primarily a video game company, but Sonic is a very viable character for us. We’re always looking for new ways to expand the franchise, and we knew we wanted to grow the appeal of Sonic and reach many different touch points.”

Churchill expects innovations on both the game and TV show formats to draw new fans, not only gamers nostalgic for the ring-hording hedgehog. For example, the TV series will forgo old-school cartoon cheesiness to instead blend action and comedy together, while the game will feature more open-world exploration than in Sonic’s previous interactive escapades.

With split-screen, four-player functionality, the game — the third in Sega’s deal to exclusively release “Sonic” titles on Nintendo platforms — serves as a prequel to the cartoon, the first “Sonic” series to be computer animated. Both the game and the TV series, which is being created by OuiDO Productions, will deeper emphasize the characters’ personalities and teamwork.

The focus on Sonic’s crew inspired the developers, animators and everyone else working on “Sonic Boom” to make each hero distinct, in both form and function. In the case of Knuckles, that meant putting the once Sonic-sized sidekick through puberty — not steroids — in an effort to make the burly red echidna stand out from the pack, as well as pack a punch.

However, the creators are quick to note that the sportier, teenaged rendition of Sonic and his team doesn’t erase the depictions from four previous TV series and more than 70 games. “Sonic Boom” is merely a new branch of the “Sonic” universe with sensibilities they hope will appeal to modern youngsters who expect their entertainment to cohesively cross screens.

“When you have a franchise with the depth and fan base of this one, you can have more than one incarnation existing side by side,” said Evan Bailey, executive producer of the TV show. “Look at Batman or Mickey Mouse. There are many iconic characters with more than one rendition and none is the definitive take, so hopefully fans don’t firebomb our houses.”

Unintentionally, “Sonic Boom” has become the franchise’s biggest multicultural effort to date, with game developers and executives in California working in tandem with TV executives based out of New York, as well as animators in France, on a new iteration of a blue hedgehog born in Japan. Initially, however, the biggest barrier in crafting this Sonic wasn’t language.

“Before we first met, we’re thinking, ‘Oh, boy. TV people,” said Bob Rafei, CEO of Big Red Button. “They’re gonna want to change everything. They’re not going to understand games. To my surprise, Evan actually plays more games than I do. I don’t know where he finds the time, but he understands the fundamental differences of mechanics and fiction.”

Here's the full article's location: http://www.indianagazette.com/news/entertainment/got-game-sonic-undergoes-makeover-for-new-game-tv-series,19291055/

To summarize, there's a big emphasis on the show's story and plot points will intertwine significantly with that of the game(s). As well as both, the show and the game, being very story-driven, exploring deep into character structures and development together. Both the devs and the tv show team, also appear to be massively familiar with games, mechanics and whatnot, thus making working with each other much more functional.

The tidbits about the show do give me hope for a present sense of over-arcing continuity in one way or another.

• Thumbs Up 4

Basically leg workouts. Which knuckles design is lacking compared to his upper body

tumblr_n0yeoqHf961t8n6zyo1_1280.jpg

the artist is Yuhki Demers Lead Concept designer at big red button

Leg days: NEVER FORGET
  • Thumbs Up 9

Jovah, why aren't you a TSS staffer? Jesus.

Some juicy info here, this particular tidbit stands out to me 

“When you have a franchise with the depth and fan base of this one, you can have more than one incarnation existing side by side,”

They understand the rift that SEGA has created with so many appealing verses in the series, I'm glad that they see this can work in tandem with one another, without necessarily eclipsing the latter.

• Thumbs Up 5

Jovah, why aren't you a TSS staffer? Jesus.

Hmm. I never did think of applying. Perhaps I should give it shot (whatever the job is basically).

So if Shadow were ever to appear ever, how'd you like his "new" backstory to be told?

On-Topic: How many stages do you think there'll be? And will there be less level tropes appearing seeing how there is this based on big explorative levels and being centered around hubs?

\

Some juicy info here, this particular tidbit stands out to me 

They understand the rift that SEGA has created with so many appealing verses in the series, I'm glad that they see this can work in tandem with one another, without necessarily eclipsing the latter.

Agreed. That quote shines to me as the beacon that they know for certain what it is they're creating: an alternate Sonic the Hedgehog universe that's not going to be all too tied down by the original and be it's own thing. I love shows like The Batman , Teen Titans and The Loony Tunes Show ; shows that aren't afraid to mix things up and sometimes just say "bugger all" to the original canon, also wielding the element of surprise when some things go completely different.

• Thumbs Up 2

So if Shadow were ever to appear ever, how'd you like his "new" backstory to be told?

Not sure. I like Shadow's personality in SA2, Heroes, and 06 quite a bit, so as long as his personality is just as likeable and/or heroic/villainous as he was in some of those games, I'll be happy. Shadow appearing in Sonic Boom is the perfect chance to drop the unnecessary baggage from his backstory, like his entirely redundant spinoff game adding the Black Arms into the mix. 

Shadow can be a really endearing character, so giving him a sense of humor and placing more emphasis on his and Sonic's rivalry would be cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am kind of interested in what they do with the game and show after that statement, its good to know that they have a handle on how split this fanbase is and it will be nice to see their take on sonic with the game.

Yes, I really hope that if he comes in (and in future Sonic games if possible) Boom they don't add the Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) bits at all. Which I know if he does of course they will. But if there's no humans besides Eggman in Boom cannon, is Maria now a Hedgehog and still needs a cure? That be kind of awesome actually. Shadow was created by Gerald to help fix wounded, sick Maria (animal) because he cared for this animal for so long (like how people treat dogs as kids and such) that he creates Shadow to be/find the cure and to be the ultimate life form altogether. He is now based off Sonic, since no super sonic mural. And other things. I don't know seems like only good can come from adding him.

You can ignore that big fanfic backstory if you'd like xD 

• Thumbs Up 1

“Before we first met, we’re thinking, ‘Oh, boy. TV people,” said Bob Rafei, CEO of Big Red Button. “They’re gonna want to change everything. They’re not going to understand games. To my surprise, Evan actually plays more games than I do. I don’t know where he finds the time, but he understands the fundamental differences of mechanics and fiction.”

Remember when we were concerned about some quote a while back about how, until the game devs met the people working on the show, they weren't that enthusiastic about the game (or something to that effect)? I think this is what that quote was about. Admittedly I kind of assumed that's what whoever said it meant, but it's good to hear. They weren't against making the game, but rather making a game tied to a TV show. I don't really blame 'em for feeling that way at first, but it's a good thing that it wasn't an issue for long.

Good find, Jova!

On one hand I feel like many are setting themselves up for disappointment, on the other, I can't help but feel like there are those among them unable to be disappointed. When I see so many swoon over sonic colors, I don't know what else to think.

But regardless, I see many here who seem to already be getting themselves wrapped up in expecting something out of this that I don't think is there. This game and the universe it's set in is ultimately attached to the fickle world of kids TV programming. Those cross promotion bucks are only going to be there as long as the show is running. None of this is going to stick around when that goes away. Big Red Button has the star power to make their own thing happen, are they going to become some kind of Sonic Boom sequel factory? Do you expect the Japanese Sonic Team to make Sonic Boom games? Are you really expecting this strange fork to last along with the Sega character in Smash Brothers?

From my point of view much is being made out of what might as well be "Lego Sonic" or some kind of attempt at a Tak revival, I'd wager that Sonic Boom will have been and gone before we even get an announcement pertaining to the next "Sonic Team" Sonic game.

From my point of view the Jedi are evil

At first I was gonna say we might be getting our hoped a little too high... but then you dropped that bombshell there. Not cool man. I get that's your view on things but be a little less weighing with your comments next time. Its fine for you not to like it and all but that was like I don't know just.. party downer. It's your opinion yes, but raining on everyones parade isn't the way to express your feeling. Um.. yeah..

So hopefully this gets good enough support and new fans and such, so we get that dream sequel(s). Also the team seems pretty enthusiastic about this so I'm pretty sure they'd be on board with making a few sequels given it's a success.

Sucess or no sucess i just want to play a good sonic game. Ive said this before but I am indifferent and really dont care for the show or its survival. All I care for is this game is giving me the ability to play as other characters and from the looks of it a more in depth story and lore

On one hand I feel like many are setting themselves up for disappointment, on the other, I can't help but feel like there are those among them unable to be disappointed. When I see so many swoon over sonic colors, I don't know what else to think.

But regardless, I see many here who seem to already be getting themselves wrapped up in expecting something out of this that I don't think is there. This game and the universe it's set in is ultimately attached to the fickle world of kids TV programming. Those cross promotion bucks are only going to be there as long as the show is running. None of this is going to stick around when that goes away. Big Red Button has the star power to make their own thing happen, are they going to become some kind of Sonic Boom sequel factory? Do you expect the Japanese Sonic Team to make Sonic Boom games? Are you really expecting this strange fork to last along with the Sega character in Smash Brothers?

From my point of view much is being made out of what might as well be "Lego Sonic" or some kind of attempt at a Tak revival, I'd wager that Sonic Boom will have been and gone before we even get an announcement pertaining to the next "Sonic Team" Sonic game.

From my point of view the Jedi are evil

Off-Topic: Some one remembers the Tak series?! Man, Tak 2 is one of my favorite GC games growing up....good times man :).

On-Topic: I don't think that BRB is going to be tied down to Sonic boom, as they most likely have a contract with Sega America for 1-2 Sonic Boom games (the show is going to last...for about 2-3 years?) and after that they will either take their own shot at another Sega franchise or make a new IP. I also wouldn't call this the "Lego Sonic" branch either, as this game looks very ambitious and not that different from the main series (the gameplay looks to have alot of SA elements) to just be a simple cash in on the show.

• Thumbs Up 1

I imagine he'd be a goon of the bad guy for whatever reason and eventually turn on them, either because of the bad guy betraying him (likely) or discovering via some other way being one of the good guys is the right path.

On the flipside, I can't help but see Shadow getting some brief role in the game and emerging as a recurring antagonist in the cartoon, albeit with the evil levels toned down.

Without the Maria's REAL wish twist, it wouldn't make sense for him to flip from bad to good on a dime. There needs to be transition.

I think a lot of Shadow's potential as a character is that he will not have chaos powers in this continuity, which means some other aspects of himself will be explored; I presume he would be one of the elite goons. If one hedgehog can be fairly powerful, why not another, after all?

• Thumbs Up 1

I imagine he'd be a goon of the bad guy for whatever reason and eventually turn on them, either because of the bad guy betraying him (likely) or discovering via some other way being one of the good guys is the right path.

On the flipside, I can't help but see Shadow getting some brief role in the game and emerging as a recurring antagonist in the cartoon, albeit with the evil levels toned down.

Without the Maria's REAL wish twist, it wouldn't make sense for him to flip from bad to good on a dime. There needs to be transition.

I think a lot of Shadow's potential as a character is that he will not have chaos powers in this continuity, which means some other aspects of himself will be explored; I presume he would be one of the elite goons. If one hedgehog can be fairly powerful, why not another, after all?

I personally would love to see them use Shadow like this. Although hopefully stretching this turn over the course of the series, rather then just a single game.

Shadow? My first guess is Protoman as seen in the cartoon. Stripped of his backstory and where the resolution of it left him, they're probably going to be struggling to find something for him to do otherwise.

At first I was gonna say we might be getting our hoped a little too high... but then you dropped that bombshell there. Not cool man. I get that's your view on things but be a little less weighing with your comments next time. Its fine for you not to like it and all but that was like I don't know just.. party downer. It's your opinion yes, but raining on everyones parade isn't the way to express your feeling. Um.. yeah..

So hopefully this gets good enough support and new fans and such, so we get that dream sequel(s). Also the team seems pretty enthusiastic about this so I'm pretty sure they'd be on board with making a few sequels given it's a success.

For a cool guy I have harsh words. Ok, extremely obscure Sonic reference aside, I'm not sure how else to put it. Megas XLR is one of the best things to happen to CN but they canceled it because it wasn't moving merch. It wasn't moving toys because they fast laned the show into production and never made any! That's how transient kid's TV is.

Off-Topic: Some one remembers the Tak series?! Man, Tak 2 is one of my favorite GC games growing up....good times man :).

On-Topic: I don't think that BRB is going to be tied down to Sonic boom, as they most likely have a contract with Sega America for 1-2 Sonic Boom games (the show is going to last...for about 2-3 years?) and after that they will either take their own shot at another Sega franchise or make a new IP. I also wouldn't call this the "Lego Sonic" branch either, as this game looks very ambitious and not that different from the main series (the gameplay looks to have alot of SA elements) to just be a simple cash in on the show.

I actually didn't realize there was any fondness around for Tak, my point of comparison there is that regardless of the quality of the games Tak just isn't that marketable a character. I've never known anything caveman related outside of the Flintstones to find any real success, and that was basically just honeymooners but stuff is made out of rocks.

Looking at how the characters move and how the environments are laid out is painting a picture for me that this game is the biggest departure since Unleashed at night. None of what to highlight in the trailers nor what they talk about in interviews seem consistent with what is usually in a Sonic game. It's Sonic, Jim, but not as we know it. Call me a curmudgeon but I've been left wanting for so long that "good game but not a Sonic game" doesn't do it. Not for me. Sonic could be a contender, a mogul of the industry, but not when they're doing stuff like this, so doubtful of their own property they ship it off to some guy no one's ever heard of to reinvent the franchise but not really for some reason.

There won't be any back stories...people are kinda forgetting the TV interview already where they explicitly stated that each episode will be separate with no continuity and after the events in said episode the world will "reset" for the next story.

Unless you meant in the game, there is a good chance for some backstory there for other characters. Tho they also said previously when asked about other characters that this game will only focus on Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knux and their stories and this adventure they are in. So unless Shadow or anyone else is part of the plot, don't expect any backstory or arc about him.

Just try not to get too expectant or excited when everything they have said so far points to the main four being the only story characters in the game, besides Eggman and this "ancient evil".

I know I'm just fanboying here but I would not mind if Shadow was connected to this ancient evil in any way. It worked for Sonic the Comic, after all!

Though in all honesty I see him more likely being developed as a dark mirror of Sonic, true to his original name, as something Sonic could have become had things been different in his youth. I assume they'd get rid of his made far in the past backstory but... who knows?

If he doesn't appear in the game, even in some post-credits teaser (which you'll need to 100% the game for, in all likelihood), I imagine that means any Shadow appearances in the Boom continuity will need to be explained by Word of God.

Which, given the explanation for why the Moon is whole again in Sonic games...

...God help us.

Hahaha perhaps under his original Terios name maybe? I could deal with that.

It's just I'm loath to have them shoehorn characters in "just because" or "because they are popular" its kinda what put me off Shadow to begin with. Goes for any character really, but Shadow is a good example. His character was well done in SA2 even if I thought he was pretty much an organic Metal Sonic. Then they brought him back, with no real reason other than he was popular and to fill Team Dark's three person roster in Heroes, had some random robot clone thing going on and then changed it to an alien blood backstory, with guns..and bikes, and all the while ruining his story of sacrifice at the end of SA2.

But if worked in well with a different back story and development I would be more than happy to see the guy back...without guns and vehicles and that G.U.N and alien rubbish >.<

I'm really looking forward to the open world style play. I'm sure there will be collectables and all sorts of hidden stuff. Love exploration and collection action games. Anything like Jak, Ratchet or old Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo and I'll be in heaven.

My entire interest in this "Ultimate Universe" rests on one question and the answer to it will make or break any chance of me getting a Wii U just for the few interesting games it has: Will there be dashpads?

• Thumbs Up 2

Will there be dashpads?

I don't believe we've seen any yet. But you never know.