Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I don't mind a looser continuity myself. I can't wait to see what they have in store.

I don't mind a looser continuity.  But Sonic games seem to be in the middle of having very loose continuity and having everything connected.  Something which I think is annoying.  Think about it.  With Shadow the Hedgehog you had that game tie in all the plot holes from Sonic Adventure 2 (very stupidly though may I point out) but then they add some stupid inconsistency with it by making the moon not in half.

Then their is not introducing characters properly.  Like the Chaotix from Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Heroes.  In Sonic Heroes we had no introduction what so ever about them and then at the end their just work with everyone else in that game yet they probably don't know any of the people they are helping out with.

Ugh.  The point I'm saying is, is that you should either have very, very loose (if not no) continuity what so ever or have the games directly start and end from one another.  I guess you could say this is more my problem then anything since I grow up with game like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon and that I watch a lot of anime in my teens that I have just come to expect franchises to have loads of things connected.

Its called the "status-quo." Almost every television series that isn't a serial follows this philosophy. Simpsons does it. Spongebob does it. Even Pokemon had a status-quo to some extent.

In all of these shows, new characters and elements are introduced, but the general status of the main cast is the same as it started.

Sonic games have been like this, too. The games are self-contained, and yet different events have a lasting impact on the understanding of the universe. Its basically how you should expect a show like Sonic Boom to work.

Yes it's usually like that, and I'd like it to be this way. But... do the producers of other shows explicitly say "the world reboots at the end of each episode" ? I wouldn't think they literally mean it, but if they keep repeating it in interviews, I'm kinda worried.

They're being taken too literally. They said the status quo is reset, not the world or continuity. What it means is that everyone's situation and relations, IE how Sonic and tails act, how amy and knuckles act, how sonic and eggman act, etc, the place where they each live, where they have adventures, etc, all that may change for the duration of an episode (Sonic gets angry at Tails and fires him as sidekick), but by the end of the episode Tails will be his sidekick again.

• Thumbs Up 3

AoStH was one of my favorite shows. To see another show styled like it is pretty awesome.

A focus on humor without any complicated plot inbetween. Sounds about right for Sanic.

• Thumbs Up 2

They're being taken too literally. They said the status quo is reset, not the world or continuity. What it means is that everyone's situation and relations, IE how Sonic and tails act, how amy and knuckles act, how sonic and eggman act, etc, the place where they each live, where they have adventures, etc, all that may change for the duration of an episode (Sonic gets angry at Tails and fires him as sidekick), but by the end of the episode Tails will be his sidekick again.

If this is all it is, that's fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've Been looking at the screens and have noticed what may be classic game story elements(Or just me linking together random stuff ).

For example anyone else think these sheepish animals may be indication that eggmans old methods(capture animals and stick them in robots) may be returning in this game? or is it just something to add life to the area.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uH0dIRG40-opeF_mklbF5elfkHJvmH6TrVLnXTxw1IQ=w958-h539-no

The fact that there's a herd of them penned up in the main hub makes me think that you might be saving them once again.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/XJtN7tK0euCiL4YGy3WZjkalMiw-mFTdaW4I2yQI5nM=w958-h539-no

Its easier to see what they are in the video not just due to the quality but also to them moving.

I also see the theme of nature being destroyed/corrupted from the sickly purple area full of old rusty machinery that leads into the sewer.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/vWfPy_FYTiWDxUreGLFULG5pIgRxO73WX8aWxXKt9BQ=w958-h539-no

this one

This would fit with the old theme of nature vs technology especially when you look at this concept art which shows some contrast between the lively green hills and the smoke filled pit of ugly machinery below.(well not that ugly)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/ehoWsnB7n9oIHFEeTqOfbPEYGBr4isUWRfq8RiD551Q=w800-h479-no

Pretty sure its just me putting together a bunch of common game troupes but wanted to share my thoughts.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Interesting theories. All of which are plausible. Well played Storme.

I think the animals are just to add life to the area. More Sonic games have had such animals that not, and with environments like those in Boom I'd be really surprised not to see that kind of extra detail. I can see what you mean about the sewers and such though. If this is an 'ancient land', what's with all this pollution?

Though I'm not convinced it's really trying to harken back to the classic themes (which were more subtle and intricate than they're given credit for) and are rather just rather typical themes. How many times have you heard stories where some undisturbed natural or ancient site gets mistreated by the 'big bad' bringing in industry and what-have-you? That goes for both in fiction and the real world.

So nothing from Nintendo Direct? Ah well, I guess it was a bit much.

Anyone else think future trailers are going to use the Generations format? That is, where they show the crux of the trailer, then the credits... and then some sort of few-second clip right afterward. The first one had that giant worm or whatever thingy, I wonder if they'll keep that style and show something else that's special at the end of the next one?

I have my fingers crossed one of the supporting antagonists if there's more than one.

*futilely waits for Shadow to be revealed as a supporting villain at the end of a trailer*

With everything else the game has going for it, who else wants to see only a small number other returning characters? I don't want Shadow to be a villain, rather just an anti-hero who's as much against Team Sonic as he is against the big bad. There's a lot of potential ways to use existing characters without changing their purpose. If Boom gets a sequel (which is likely) then that's when I'd like to see more of the cast rolling in with important roles. Let the current find their feet for now. Shadow is such an important character he'd be way more interesting as more than a secondary. Besides, we already have Eggman and a new threat. We certainly don't need anything else just yet.

I mentioned supporting villain because he could very well be an antagonist to start off with but become more lighthearted of a character by the end of the game, which would help with any appearances in Boom.

Or in other words, he goes from villain to anti-hero as in the main canon, but this time around they jettison his tarnished backstory in favor of something more respectable.

Still, I'd really like to see the focus remain squarely on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy for now. Call it classic or senior elitism, those characters are the main characters to me. This is their time to shine in a character driven game. Characters like Shadow or Rouge have a lot to bring to the table if we get a story where the spotlight is more on them.

From what I can see, this looks like a second Sonic Chronicles to me. Four characters with different abilities... You get the idea...

I'd be happy for them to take it slow with returning characters, too.  They don't want to use up all their background material too quickly.  Reinventing the original canon could last Boom out for years.

Well we know that we have multiple returning characters. How many total? That's the question; could be 2, 6, 9, 3, etc.

Hopefully we'll know soon enough.

Personaly, I am hoping that they will dig deep into the character gallery and bring some actual oldies back, but thats me(And I dont mean just Nack, I think Silver Sonic, or Mecha Sonic would fit the vibe of the game and show better than metal sonic

I'm probably going to get unreasonably excited every time we hear about a returning character, but in principle I'd prefer to get relatively few, and for the ones we do get to be in relatively minor roles. This first game probably ought to focus on just a few characters, and save anything more for a sequel if possible.

Actually I'd like to see a character like Fang returning as a proper villain, and possibly a new female character.

Shadow would be interesting to see in a after credit scene or something like that, due to it's popularity, and it could lead to a sequel.

Concerning the female character I'd like to see a strong one, maybe an anti-hero in the story, or Fang's partner.

Mecha Sonic could be interesting to use too, he could be Metal Sonic counterpart in the Boom series, with a more threatening design.

some cameos like Cream, Marine and Big could be nice as NPC's, but I wouldn't really like the game to be more crowded that that

Two things bothered me about the Deadly Six; the fact that we still have no fucking clue where they came from, who they are or what they have to do with Lost Hex (which we also know nothing about btw) and how at the end of the game they're just...killed off. Just like that, unceremoniously. And never mentioned again! I don't even want to believe they're dead just because I found it so annoying how they got rid of them like that. That's why I THINK they might return in the next game, because having them there and then killing them off again is just pointless.

I certainly hope you are right in that regard. I'd hate for Boom to be the only place they'd have hope for I salvaging, not that I doubt the Boom writers and devs being able to work wonders and enhancements on the Zeti.

For those who have time to spare, here's an interview with Mike Pollick, yielding details about Boom. Bullet point summarization to be made later.

Enjoy.

That thing is over an hour long. No way anyone's going to sit through all of that. Where about is the supposed Boom info, and is it really anything new?