Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

New sonic U

Dr sonic

Mario and sonic RPG

3D mario game with sonic in it Id buy them

Don't forget 8-bit Sonics hidden everywhere

I may be feeling a bit pessimistic here but if there is a reboot of the Sonic franchise and it turns out to be worse than what we’re currently getting and/or gratuitous then I’m sorry but SEGA/Sonic Team may very well lose a fan. And if my fears are realized and I drift extremely far from the franchise as a result and start disliking it, at least I have my memories and my collection :>

But yeah. If this series aims itself squarely at the young demographic and becomes worser because it gains the faulty ideas that “Aiming squarely at kids = Being insultingly juvenile” (As already evidenced by Colors) and that the higher-up’s think that the series is so utterly broken that nothing can be salvaged and so much that's been introduced over the past near-23 years needs to be thrown in the bin then I think the series has finally jumped the shark and may very well pass the point of no return. I’m not saying this out of self-entitlement. Am I hell. I’m saying this because I genuinely fear for this series’ future and it lowering itself to the level of pandering to kids without respecting their intelligence and in addition becoming a bigger shadow of it’s former self.

I'm being annoyingly pessimistic again....must lighten-up *Goes and looks at Sonic collection*

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a feeling most here don't like Buffles. (including me, but point still stands)

Seriously, some of us don't like Pontac's writing and feel the need to state that. It's happening no less than most other complaints.

Oh I know, I wasn't taking the piss. Or at least, that's not how I wanted to come across. I'm not the biggest fan of the writing either.

Oh I know, I wasn't taking the piss. Or at least, that's not how I wanted to come across. I'm not the biggest fan of the writing either.

Ahhh, right. Sorry, when things like this stir up I act on first instinct, heh. Sorry for the confusion.

Ahhh, right. Sorry, when things like this stir up I act on first instinct, heh. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't be silly, it's fine. :)

I've edited the post anyway, just in case.

well I dont have time to read 5 more pages so I am just going to say this before I head out: We just need to wait and see what happens, nothing else we can do, and I'll be back at noonish central time, so should be right in the middle of the big storm

Also the third title could be a Sega and sonic crossover fighting game, IF it was Virtua fighter/Fighters Megamix style, as it would not be in direct competition with SSB4, heck if it came out in a month or two it could help whet our appetites FOR SSB4

On the topic of Amy, I'd be pretty cool with a redesign for her. Maybe change the quills a bit and give her different clothes. I liked her Riders outfit.

I'd second this. I looked up Amy from Riders and honestly, I'm pretty cool with this type of style (spoiler'd due to size):

Amy+Sonic+Riders1.jpg

Now if only they'd use Production I.G. for the Sonic cartoon... oh I could dream....

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, the series is in quite a state already. At least we would have nothing to lose with a reboot, considering we already lost pretty much everything when Pontac took over the writing.

Just 3 more hours till 12:00. Got my invitation ( from a frIend who found out he couldn't make it) all set!

Are you serious? I didn't think anyone here would actually have a chance to go. 

God speed.

Are you serious? I didn't think anyone here would actually have a chance to go. 

God speed.

I'll be lucky if I can make it considering how busy my Thursdays often are, and it can take a while to get there from Geneseo, but thanks all the same.

To be fair a looot of people consider the point the new writers came in (Colours-Generations) to be where things started getting good again. Especially people outside the immediate Sonic fandom. Critics even had less negative things to say about the VA and cutscenes than they used to.

I think those people should be respected, that's all. There's a pretty good reason Colours and Generations were so well received by gamers and press even if you personally don't like those games for whatever reason.

Yeah but they haven't been for years.

Dio, just stop goading please. You know full well you're talking to people who have continuously discussed the matter and expressed dismay for it. You also know what point I was making, and are attempting to split hairs again. It's not necessary.

@ Jovahexeon: Yeah, don't believe you.

I may be feeling a bit pessimistic here but if there is a reboot of the Sonic franchise and it turns out to be worse than what we’re currently getting and/or gratuitous then I’m sorry but SEGA/Sonic Team may very well lose a fan. And if my fears are realized and I drift extremely far from the franchise as a result and start disliking it, at least I have my memories and my collection :>

But yeah. If this series aims itself squarely at the young demographic and becomes worser because it gains the faulty ideas that “Aiming squarely at kids = Being insultingly juvenile” (As already evidenced by Colors) and that the higher-up’s think that the series is so utterly broken that nothing can be salvaged and so much that's been introduced over the past near-23 years needs to be thrown in the bin then I think the series has finally jumped the shark and may very well pass the point of no return. I’m not saying this out of self-entitlement. Am I hell. I’m saying this because I genuinely fear for this series’ future and it lowering itself to the level of pandering to kids without respecting their intelligence and in addition becoming a bigger shadow of it’s former self.

I'm being annoyingly pessimistic again....must lighten-up *Goes and looks at Sonic collection*

Sadly the 'Like' button only works once per post, because I can't agree more with how much this conveys how I feel.

Quite frankly I think the next game will be me giving them one last chance- if we get more crap along the lines of Lost World, I'm pretty sure I can say I'll be done with the series. If they actually manage to turn things around, I might be willing to stick around a bit longer and see what happens.

I've realised that, rather than just complaining whilst continuing to give them my money, it's time I make the decision to start voting with my wallet and not buying. I don't want to keep supporting the franchise if it continues to go the way it is.

Not to mention the healthy portion of folks who speak positively of Colors' and Last World's writing as well.

But aren't afraid to mention their flaws without making it sound like they hate them too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people not liking Pontac's writing, but if they're going to act like everything before them was always top-notch, then that's completely false.

Dio, just stop goading please. You know full well you're talking to people who have continuously discussed the matter and expressed dismay for it. You also know what point I was making, and are attempting to split hairs again. It's not necessary.

It's not goading, it's my honest opinion. Sonic hasn't been the Sonic I cared about for a long time, likewise for most of the rest of the cast.

To be fair a looot of people consider the point the new writers came in (Colours-Generations) to be where things started getting good again. Especially people outside the immediate Sonic fandom.

I think those people should be respected, that's all. There's a pretty good reason Colours and Generations were so well received by gamers and press even if you personally don't like those games for whatever reason.

My problem with Pontac and Sonic Team's current direction with stories in general is that it's 1992 quality. Sonic and Tails vs Eggman and his two lackeys, once with them teaming up resulting in a generic buddy cop plot.

It's just not good in my opinion and there are others who think along the same lines. If big stories involving all of the cast made some people angry, why do such a 'solution' as to just keep everyone used as little as possible which makes the other side disappointed?

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if the cocktails will be one of these winners:

Real talk, I went to a Sega event at Comic-con and they were serving Sonic The Hedgehog themed cocktails, one of which was chili-dog infused vodka, with a chili pepper rim, and a hotdog chunk floating in it.

BP3rkxWCMAABljf.jpg

Worst drink in my entire life. It's like Sega is trying to bury this franchise in any way possible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99802268&postcount=143

SEGA can't even make good drinks xP

Really fuckin' hate this notion that it's only with the new writers that the series has started failing...

Quality-wise, yeah. We've had some poopers before, but there's a distinctly different direction the series has taken since Colors. He's not wrong in that sense if that direction isn't one you like.

Probably not Pontac's fault, in fact I'm sure it was SEGA in reaction to the reactions to the past stories, but it did start at the same time.

My problem with Pontac and Sonic Team's current direction with stories in general is that it's 1992 quality. Sonic and Tails vs Eggman and his two lackeys, once with them teaming up resulting in a generic buddy cop plot.

It's just not good in my opinion and there are others who think along the same lines. If big stories involving all of the cast made some people angry, why do such a 'solution' as to just keep everyone used as little as possible which makes the other side disappointed?

What's wrong with 1992 quality? Those games were amazingly received and to this day are far better received than any Sonic game released in the last 10 years?

Fair enough if it's your opinion, but it's of wide critical opinion that the "big stories involving all of the cast" weren't bad on a conceptual level, they were bad because they were poorly written, executed, and generally clumsy and pretentious. Again, not my opinion, that's what most of the critics said, and upon becoming a student of literary criticism myself I can completely see why. Sonic isn't not allowed to have a complex story, but the last time it happened left a bad taste in the mouths of most older fans and critics while younger fans were too young to really notice its flaws at the time. This is why SEGA want to play it safe and have a simple story because that is all they're capable of pulling off inoffensively and they know it.

One side is always going to be disappointed and that is 100% SEGA's fault for segwaying Sonic into a series that pretended to have a deep plot in the first place. It is literally impossible for SEGA to make everyone happy with Sonic's story anymore, the best they can do is make most people happy which yes unfortunately for many people means taking the simple route at the very least until they get writers who can make something which is simple but also more than meets the eye (like a lot of good Saturday morning cartoons are, and which ST generally aren't talented enough to pull off).

And you don't have to like it, it does suck for a lot of people, but I think people should at least respect the story direction SEGA have chosen and the huge amounts of people who do like it.

Sonic isn't just for Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Put me on the bus of "I don't like the new writers"

or the new voice actors

or the new redesigns

I don't like Sonic

Started from page 1 and worked my way all the way up to page 18... Goodness, what is wrong with me?

Anyways... I'm still leaning on the positive side of things even in the end. It's just hard for me to even believe that the designs for this new cartoon show will end up being the new designs for everything Sonic related. I do understand that the flyer said "renaissance", which could mean a rebirth/revival, but I'm really thinking that SEGA plan to push Sonic more to hit a new level of popularity for the series. That means supporting the new cartoon, having more high quality game releases, still giving releasing merchandise based on the games designs and based on the cartoon show designs, etc. IF the "worse case scenario" happens where the new cartoon designs become the official designs for the entire series and the entire series gets a reboot, then I'll fairly judge from everything that's fully released (meaning, I'll judge when I see the new designs, judge when I see how the new world is, and judge how the stories are). I slightly get the feeling that I probably would like the new stuff...

Looking forward to the news that will follow!