Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

Theoretically, the leaked invitation is now a teaser that can create hype for an announcement later.  They could have everyone on tenterhooks all day, waiting for news to come out.  That's certainly going to be what's going on here.  The leak could actually be quite a good thing for Sega.

...Save for, you know, the face of that hype being the unpopular Boom silhouettes (I don't mind them, but Knuckles gets derogatory comments everywhere it's posted).  Along with Sonic's present poor reputation, the hype has an "impending car crash" quality to it.  I can't lie, I'm looking forward to the reaction as much as the news.

Whether the eyes are negative or positive, the leaks mean that all eyes are on Sonic and SEGA today.

If this Year of Sonic thing somehow turns out to be something fantastic, the leak hype can only be a good thing for SEGA, and if it's badly received the damage control is going to be that much tougher.

SEGA have their work cut out for them, I seriously hope they know what they're doing.

That's another theory I pondered, that they would have purposely allowed that "leak."

Though it would seem like a really elaborate roleplay given everyone else is censoring information. I think those two got in a lot of trouble and the word has spread through the press circles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iozIZBFH45Y

Too fitting right now.

But no, seriously. Like others have said above, I really do hope SEGA knows what they're doing with this. That use of the word "renaissance" especially...

Personally that's how I already feel about the franchise in general. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be difficult to adjust to if so but I think we'll weather the storm, just as a lot of folks weathered the Sonic Adventure st- *sees how far Sonic fell after the 90s* ...okay maybe not.

In all seriousness I'm sure it will be fine. We'll hopefully have plenty to discuss by this time tomorrow.

That's another theory I pondered, that they would have purposely allowed that "leak."

Though it would seem like a really elaborate roleplay given everyone else is censoring information. I think those two got in a lot of trouble and the word has spread through the press circles.

They did not allow the leak. However, the invitation showed literally nothing we hadn't already seen, and was leaked less than a day before the invitation-only press event. Half the reason such things don't actually show any new info is to save face should there be a leak, and the other half is to keep people interested. SEGA don't have much of a reason to kick up a fuss, but they can always reprimand those who leaked it, one way or another.

Woah hold on SEGA's going on about a Year of Sonic now? This must be a pretty big deal! Maybe they're really going to redesign and reboot everything from the franchise--

*sees Sonic Boom picture with Buffles*

OH BOY! LEMME GO GRAB MY POPCORN FOR THE POTENTIAL SHITSTORM!

• Thumbs Up 3

I think SEGA had something special planned based on the hype the poster generates, and were planning on making a big public reveal once the event concluded.

Unfortunately Machinima leaked it and so their plans have been ruined.

Don't get why they'd bother doing damage control at this point though since it was only a day away.

How were their plans ruined? All we know is that there is something and nothing more.

And what damage control? Did I miss something? huh.png

You know, it also just hit me that this design of Sonic that we've stuck with for over a decade..

0-Sonic.jpg

Could potentially be gone forever now. It actually feels like I'm losing a close friend.

Let's be honest, though. His look didn't stay the same the whole way. It changed from Adventure to Adventure 2 to Heroes to Sonic 06 to Unleashed and it's only since then have we had one constant look for him.

Regarding the silhouettes- to be honest, it doesn't bother me that Knuckles looks like that.

Take that as you will, but to me, I'm only going to have a problem with the new designs if they've done something weird to their faces.

If they really are copying the Skylanders style, and we get them all being cross-eyed, then I'll not be too happy.

...And even then, new Spyro has a certain goofy charm to him, so...

• Thumbs Up 3

Whatever's revealed today, I just hope that people here don't wind up insulting and threatening each other over it. Honestly, it's getting rather tiring to see everyone act the fool with every major bit of Sonic news.

Yeah this is important. I personally like to believe we'll all be holding each other in support.

"Together, we can, overcome all the odds,

It's never as hard as it seems."

eugh i hate that song

• Thumbs Up 1

I could probably get more used to a redesign for Knuckles (or any character) if they weren't so drastic.

Says a lot that out of the four silhouettes in Sonic Boom, only Knuckles had people go crazy. It's like Murray's design in the Sly movie, far more drastic and wierd-looking compared to the redesign of the others.

Yeah this is important. I personally like to believe we'll all be holding each other in support.

"Together, we can, overcome all the odds,

It's never as hard as it seems."

eugh i hate that song

How about

"Open your heart,

It's gonna be al-riiiiigghht!"

...no?

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever's revealed today, I just hope that people here don't wind up insulting and threatening each other over it. Honestly, it's getting rather tiring to see everyone act the fool with every major bit of Sonic news.

Everything'll start an argument Komo, nothing can please everyone, so some people here will be unhappy, no matter the outcome.

You know, it also just hit me that this design of Sonic that we've stuck with for over a decade..

0-Sonic.jpg

Could potentially be gone forever now. It actually feels like I'm losing a close friend.

Goodnight sweet prince :(

How were their plans ruined? All we know is that there is something and nothing more.

Since this was trade-only, invitation-only, and it looks like all who leaked info about it were reprimanded, I don't think this event was supposed to have been known about by anyone but attendees. Since the embargo ends after the event, it stands to reason SEGA was going to unveil everything, or failing that, the press who attended would.

I think they had a lot of stuff to announce publicly and were hoping for it to be completely unsuspected. Now we KNOW something is coming. While we can hype I think they were honestly expecting for it to be a surprise.

Yeah, at least the leak showing the Sonic Boom image means we can lower our expectations in advance. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Sonic's and Tails redesigns will be as dramatic as Amy and ugh, Buffles. I mean from those silhouettes Tails looks to be the only one not wearing any clothes and Sonic might be wearing a jacket. But I think it's their faces that I hope stay similar or at least look decent. I have absolutely no faith in Buffles.

And Soniman you forgot that Sonic has had redesigns before, though subtle. I think Sonic 06 was the worst because Sonic was way too tall and lanky, like the Archie comic style (back then...ish). Also, he had pecs.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, Amy's not really a stranger to drastic redesigns either, so I don't think she'll come off as bad as Knuckles.

I'm more afraid of the characters being turned into saturday morning cartoon stereotypes than their physical designs in a reboot (unless their designs are really REALLY ugly).

Us Amy fans have enough time defending her character as being interesting when people only pay attention to her toxic Heroes/Free Riders personality, if that becomes the main one...

I mean I know elsewhere, Knuckles fans have had to accept for years that he's become shallow comic relief, but I... I'm not ready.

• Thumbs Up 3

The characters have already become that as of Colours, really.

You know, for the all of five seconds we've seen characters outside of Sonic, Tails and Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose the one thing we can predict that won't change following today's announcements is the voice actors. With Mike Pollock already confirmed to be voicing Eggman in the show, and Roger Craig Smith making mention of Sonic Boom on his social media outlets, it's reasonably fair to say he's probably involved as well.

So, even if it's an overhaul, it won't be a complete overhaul.

Probably.

I suppose the one thing we can predict that won't change following today's announcements is the voice actors. With Mike Pollock already confirmed to be voicing Eggman in the show, and Roger Craig Smith making mention of Sonic Boom on his social media outlets, it's reasonably fair to say he's probably involved as well.

So, even if it's an overhaul, it won't be a complete overhaul.

Probably.

They wouldn't change the voice cast again after only 4 years surely?