Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

We can debunk worries of this being the whole "Sonic is only on Nintendo now" because of the 2015 game right? Or is that still a rumour?

It's not been officially confirmed, which means it's still in rumor territory.

So until it is, there's worries of Sonic becoming an Nintendo only brand from this point on?

Well shit. I don't believe it personally, but until proof comes and debunks the theory I guess we just got to sit pretty :/

Ironically enough, the only people I see getting bent out of shape, aside from the "lel sanic is d00med" crowd, are the people saying that everyone is getting bent out of shape.

I'm saying that Sonic Team's marketing division is run by completely different people, and as such, their way of doing things you would assume would be far different, especially since their audience is far different than it was sixteen years ago.

Fair enough. My point, though, is that we can't use a precedence from sixteen years ago to determine with certainty how things will play out now.

We do need to chill a bit though, all this speciulation is prodding the lel sanic is doomed crowd to post which in turn makes over-speciulating crowd reply to them and...well...this like-minded senario happens. tongue.png

True, marketing has changed in the last 16 years with the rise of the internet and social media, but things like leaks tend to stay the same thus giving off a familiar pattern of events.

I'm just staring at the facts Akito, and the facts tell me that this kind of mega-news would've been leaked by now if it was that important like a reboot. seeing as we have heard nothing but baseless total reboot rumors since 2012 and not a single shread of evidence to back it up since then including no current rumors or connections with this current event, then its safe to say in my opinion that all we are going to hear about is about the TV series tommorow and what else is in store for sonic including maybe more about Sonic in SSB4, the 3rd sonic title or at least a hint towards it, also maybe the Zelda DLC for Lost World too but don't count on it, and other stuff like merch.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the mobile phone crap too, didn't Sonic Dash get a major update today with a new name?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm worried, but very intrigued. SEGA's making a thing of this, so it may be quite significant. Let's see where it takes us.

Year? That's not how you spell 'Death'. D:

As someone who doesn't care at all for the direction the series has taken as of late, and with Lost World already close to being the final nail in the coffin of my interest in the franchise's current state, coupled with Sonic Boom on the horizon (and looking to embody everything I currently hate about the franchise) and it clearly seeming to be a key focus of this meeting today, I can't say I'm hopeful. 

SEGA, a franchise I'd loved to bits for nearly twenty years and has been a huge part of my life is now almost dead to me due to how you've handled it recently. Please, please don't ruin it any more. Certainly, I'm not trying to speak for everyone by any means, but Lost World's largely negative reception and poor sales (hell, even Shadow and 06 outsold it IIRC?) have to stand for something.

Ugh. I really hate being so negative about the series. It's kind of upsetting to feel this way about a series that's so important to me. :/

• Thumbs Up 3

If SEGA really are serious about making the Sonic franchise again with a reboot with this new TV show, everything will have been in the planning for a long time. Regardless of any changes we may or may not welcome, there's a chance that there's a huge push behind this coming from all directions. This really could be could be the big stuff that SEGA intends to put the Sonic brand back on top. Even though Generations and Colours were great and even if Lost World was too, the series has never managed to reclaim it's former glory from the days SEGA's switch to third party development.

We don't if that will be the case yet. Reboots tend to be either magnificent successes or brutal disasters with little inbetween, but we don't even know the extent of what to expect yet. For all the reasons Mark has listed right about I'm cautious and worried. Though with that said, just because the series may not take the route I want it to doesn't mean I'm definitely going to hate it. If it's still likeable in one way or another I'll probably get used to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's nothing to really justify the worries about permanent exclusivity beyond Nintendo World being near the place this event is being held, which mostly likely means Absolutely Nothing. At most, we'll get word of a third exclusive, if it's a thing.

No matter what, I don't see Sonic being Nintendo-only forever, unless both companies suddenly and inexplicably listen to random nerds on the internet who think/expect Nintendo should/will buy SEGA. Hell despite mostly being a Nintendo/PC kind of guy, I don't want that to happen simply 'cause it'd suck for a lot of fans. Ideally, and logically, they'll be mostly multiplatform this generation.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my socks. :U

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever happens now you don't interfere. This has to happen. This always happened.

I'm pretty much in the same "nervous" phase as everyone else. God only knows what'll happen today but the only thing we can do now is wait and TRY to be optimistic despite our concerns.  

After all, we all change, when you think about it. We're all different throughout our lives.

Alright I'll stop now.

• Thumbs Up 1

This possible big change reminds me of this Sonic Rush song.

Today's the day!

Today's a new day!

Today's the day!

Today's a new start.

Today's the day!

Today's a new day!

Today's the day! I'm gonna change my ways.

Another SEGA event where little or no warning was given to the public that could've attended. I'd be right there in NY with Aaron D:

It's not a public event.

iWlJlQQlpVDJS.jpg

That'a blue rat is tryin' to steal my thunder

The Year of the Luigi was sooooooo last year. It's out of fashion, keep up with the times. >w>

Things don't quite make sense. Why approve Sonic for SSB4 is he was going to get a total reboot including a change of his looks? 

They are using his Lost World design...and didn't Megaman keep his old look too?

EDIT: Oh yeah and the mobile phone crap too, didn't Sonic Dash get a major update today with a new name?

Sonic Dash S? It's a LINE version of Sonic Dash. For most part it's the same as the original, no new redesigns or anything.

===

Now for my side of things. I don't know whether to be excited or scared.

• Excited: A new game reveal?...actually, scratch that it's most likely that 3rd exclusive that I may not get to play. @.@ But I'm excited anyway for the reveal... and hey more details on Sonic Boom!
  • Scared: The new redesigns for Sonic Boom will most likely be the reboot of the entire franchise...so besides Smash U/3DS, all future Sonic games/appearances will be using these redesigns, so this may kill all Knuckles fans out there...

And new redesigns most likely come with new personalities. I don't know what to think...wait...maybe Sonic will warm up to Amy much more now... >w>

But I can see why if Sega is rebooting the franchise with these terrible designs (IMO). Look at Teen Titans Go! Look at Adventure Time. Look at Pacman's new TV series. All goofy-like designs and personalities if you know what I mean, that TODAY'S kids would most likely like. Times have changed people.

Sega must had done some market research and probably found out that kids today love these redesigns against the Modern/Classic designs that we used to know.

And let's face it, even if it kills us like this, the entire franchise at the moment is a joke right now. They could have gone somewhere with the "Colors to Generations" streak they had, but then went to Lost World and collapsed everything once again. This reboot will not obviously make regular gamers take Sonic seriously (if not ever), but Sega isn't catering them.

This is going to be truly interesting.  I am so looking forward to this.  I wonder when we'll hear what went down - frustratingly, I'll be without Internet access pretty much from the time the presentation is taking place until a little less than twenty-four hours afterwards... perhaps details will have had time to slip out by then, but I hope I don't miss the fandom rage.

Archie recently rebooted. Wouldn't SEGA have said something about the fact that the series was being completely rebooted if this was happening? They seem to be pretty strict with other things. Of course the comics could be moving toward this reboot..

Other than that, I completely agree with Mark. Sonic is pretty important to me since my brother got me into it and I'd be sad to see it go in a direction that I don't care for. I'll still try it out, check the series out, but I'm kind of worried.

Oh, and I see people talking about how Sonic fans are scared of change and other things, yet I see people on NeoGAF having pretty similar reactions to the designs, especially Buffles. (And funnily I see quite a few asking for Sonic Adventure 3)

• Thumbs Up 2

The comics are quite happy to run their own universe though, with "another time, another place" being their excuse if they do a game tie-in issue.

(And funnily I see quite a few asking for Sonic Adventure 3)

Wouldn't be surprised if people did so here too, provided it wasn't frowned upon as it is.

The comics are quite happy to run their own universe though, with "another time, another place" being their excuse if they do a game tie-in issue.

Yeah, but they had to keep in line with designs at least. They even redesigned the Freedom Fighters to be more in line with the game designs.

The comics changed designs before, they could do it again.

It'd be humorous to see how they'd pull it off though; in theory they could just change the character designs one issue and the fanbase would just have to accept it. Archie at least has the courtesy to try to explain design changes in universe, if their thorough Adventure adaption is any evidence.

I'm really curious to see if they'd plan on merging the designs of the games and comics, but it's very possible they're just loosening their emphasis on uniformity so as to allow more creativity and artistic license. I mean, look at the 90s cartoons - they all look very different and there was a lot of variety allowed.

Maybe SEGA assumes that such variety was one reason Sonic was strong in the 90s.

This looks like it's going to be pretty controversial. Worst-case scenario, we get a reboot with the new designs (Which would be like forcing the designs onto us. "WE MADE NEW DESIGNS FOR THE CARTOON. NOW THEY'RE IN YOUR GAMES. DEAL WITH IT")

I hope this ends up just being about Sonic Boom and it doesn't contaminate the games in any way.

I imagine things will get really heated here if it ends up being something bad, which will probably be my cue to get out of here for a couple of days until it's died down.

Hmm...

The flyer says at the top that the information thereon is embargoed until February 6th, i.e. today.  So that seems to imply that Sega were fine with us finding out that this event was happening today anyway - Machinima just let it slip a bit early.  (What was the original video about, by the way?  It's been made private now.)  If that's the case - if the embargo for the existence of the event ends today - then it seems to me that they're very likely going to make their announcements publicly as well.  In other words, their announcement of an announcement goes public today, so the announcement itself will probably go public as well.  Whether in the form of official news posts on the Sega blogs, press releases to media outlets, or press write-ups by the various groups attending.

I'd guess that Sega has their own internal announcements prepared and press releases ready to be sent out, and then the various media outlets attending will have their own reports with their own personal impressions and interviews written up and ready to go by the end of the day.  They might put some kind of midnight or twenty-four-hour embargo on it to make sure that there's a unified announcement between Sega and all the attending groups, though.

I would've tried RSVPing via that email if that picture were out earlier *laughs like a maniac*

huh, thought I read "public" somewhere.. my bad

I don't know, what's the etiquette on trying to sneak in?  Or hanging around outside and badgering the attendees for details as they leave?  ...I'm only half-joking.

Fairly certain security will prevent any sneak in attempts, short of someone on the floor feeling super nice and giving you a pass (it happened at prior events), but I doubt that would happen since this is a professional event. If someone was press they MIGHT be able to get in, since that's what this is for, but I wouldn't count on it.

Asking folks for details is probably in poor taste but I doubt there's anything against it since once a person leaves the venue the security can't really do anything to you as far as I know. I doubt anyone's under NDA, either, given the fact the embargo was supposed to end right afterward; they're telling the press to attend and then go forth and multiply.

I honestly don't know why, but that new Sonic Dash update recently, even though it's just a tiny spin-off... it gives me faith for some reason, the uses of Chao and the Master Emerald and all.

Sonic Boom aside, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the games are being taken back to a more large-story approach, which I wouldn't be arguing with at all.

can i just have continuity in my sonic canon now pls