Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

You know, it also just hit me that this design of Sonic that we've stuck with for over a decade..

0-Sonic.jpg

Could potentially be gone forever now. It actually feels like I'm losing a close friend.

405266-sonic06_32.png

...eh, you'll get used to it. At least the Adventure/Unleashed design got to last for a full decade, tops.

Actually, that is a thought. Dreamcast era cast lasted 5 years, 4kids lasted 5 years, I wouldn't be shocked if they are modifying the voice cast again...

...which would admittedly be a shame if they touch anyone outside of Amy and Shadow.

405266-sonic06_32.png

...eh, you'll get used to it. At least the Adventure/Unleashed design got to last for a full ten years.

Modern design wasn't as drastic a leap compared to what we're thinking of now.

They made him taller and sleek, longer spines of varying length (from 06's incredibly long to Unleashed and onwards shortening it akin to Classic Sonic), with shoe buckles and green eyes. Practically similar to how Capcom shifted with Classic Megaman to Megaman X (bar being different characters).

So maybe, if this redesign comes true, this is Sonic's version of Zero? (haha, I wish...)

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of voices, Sonic voices have a lifespan of about 5-6 years. That would make me worry for Roger, but I assume it's all coincidence, given 4Kids went under and so SEGA needed new voices, whereas the first cast was replaced to match Sonic X's voices. Never mind Roger gets paid so little I can't see SEGA really being interested in replacing him.

Though if drastic redesigns are the direction they're going with, who knows, voices could be on the chopping block too. The voices we have are fairly professional though so I'd see no reason to get rid of them, especially since they're associated with much better games than prior voices.

Considering all the silhouettes are being shown standing together in Sonic Boom's teaser image rather than just Sonic alone or Sonic and Tails, I'm guessing that even if it does take a Saturday morning cartoon route each of the characters will be more important than they have been for a while, Knuckles and Amy particularly.

Sure their personalities are worrying, but I doubt they'll be as shallow as they are now?

You know the vast majority of popular Saturday morning cartoons are actually really good right? Saturday morning cartoon doesn't equate to shallow writing or characterisation at all and never has. Literally anyone of you who has a fond memory of a cartoon, it's probably because they were actually good. You can watch most of those cartoons today and notice objectively things you didn't notice as a kid, writing intricacies, etc.

Anyone who likes Adventure Time, My Little Pony, Gravity Falls, the DC cartoons, anything like that, they're made for kids dudes, but that doesn't mean you're having a hard time enjoying them because they're pretty good.

What's fair is being sceptical that SEGA and ST know what they're doing, what's fair is worrying that they don't have the writer talent or knowhow to make it something really great, but what isn't fair is all-out equating Saturday morning cartoon to shallowness. That seriously couldn't be less true.

Heck, if Sonic Boom is lucky enough to be half as good as some of those cartoons we'll be seeing far better and fleshed out characterisation than the Sonic series has ever seen before lmao.

• Thumbs Up 3

With shows like Justice League, MLP FiM, Transformers Prime, SPectacular Spider-Man and the like, I find it rather insulting for people to assume that Saturday Morning Cartoons are the equivalent of bad these days.

It's a common sentiment to see what's new as paling in comparison to what you enjoyed during your childhood. It's nostalgia at work but some do try and search for objective quality comparisons which I assume is a difficult pursuit given that you will almost always prefer that which you grew up with. Confirmation bias does the rest.

It's a common sentiment to see what's new as paling in comparison to what you enjoyed during your childhood.

Well then it's a stupid and fear-mongering one.

Well somethings really age well.

I mean, compare Super Friends to the Justice League, for instance as far as Saturday Mourning Cartoons go. You can still watch JL without cringing compared to the SF.

Hell, as far as childhood memories go, I once rewatched old Gi Joe cartoons and saw that the old ones SUCKED compared to those like Renegades and especially Resolute. Hell, even Sigma 6.

Modern design wasn't as drastic a leap compared to what we're thinking of now.

Eh, maybe it's just me, but aside from Buffle Muscle the Fingered Enchilada, I'm not expecting any drastic overhauls. The silhouettes show a Sonic with additional quills and a vest, Amy without a dress, and the only major difference for Tails is that he's holding a wrench.

Eh, maybe it's just me, but aside from Buffle Muscle the Fingered Enchilada, I'm not expecting any drastic overhauls. The silhouette shows a slightly spiker Sonic with a vest, Amy without a dress, and the only major difference for Tails is that he's holding a wrench.

I'm not seeing that big a drastic overhaul either, but it's still looks somewhat bigger than the shift from Classic to Modern from the silhouettes alone. Then again, I was sort of singling out just Knuckles, so I'm really just all over the place right now.

Clone Wars aired Saturday mornings for a time and that show was great. And I love Gravity Falls.

That said I don't trust SEGA to make a good show. I've seen the direction they've been going in with the games (And have been told multiple times that I should wait for the next game to judge for various reasons) and assume this will will continue down that road and I doubt it'll be much better.

If the Sonic Boom redesigns spreads across to the video games, I'm going to miss Amy's current design so much. I mean, her current VA sucks but what made me going is her awesuhum looks...now after today, I may have nothing to keep me going. *sigh*

But look at the bright side. Sonic's hentai quills will be going right? =P

If Sonic Boom is a Saturday morning cartoon, don't jump to conclusions and think straightaway that it's gonna suck. What about Adventure Time and MLP? Maybe Sonic Boom will surprise us like those shows.

I want to know who the writer is though...and the characters better not be Flanderized like Buffles = strong but dumb. Then I'd be wary of the cartoon and I certainly don't want that to carry on into games (though it already has, sorta)!

Wow. Is it just me, or is the Sonic Cycle going full pelt in reverse?!

Heh, Sonic Cycle. Haven't heard about it for a while.

I'm more afraid of the characters being turned into saturday morning cartoon stereotypes than their physical designs in a reboot (unless their designs are really REALLY ugly).

Both aspects worry me greatly. One way or another, I expect these characters won't be the ones we know and love.

On the topic of Amy, I'd be pretty cool with a redesign for her. Maybe change the quills a bit and give her different clothes. I liked her Riders outfit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Both aspects worry me greatly. One way or another, I expect these characters won't be the ones we know and love.

Yeah but they haven't been for years.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Again, not wanting to repeat myself too much, but quite frankly they already stopped being the characters I knew and loved as soon as Pontac got hold of the reins. :/

Whether or not the redesigns infect the game canon or not, they're almost an ironically fitting representation of the Sonic franchise being a pitiful, shallow, flanderised imitation of its former self. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So..we have been stuck with "modern" sonic for about 15 years now. Classic Sonic was around for 10 years...maybe it is time now for another redesign. D=

Again, not wanting to repeat myself too much, but quite frankly they already stopped being the characters I knew and loved as soon as Pontac got hold of the reins. :/

Whether or not the redesigns infect the game canon or not, they're almost an ironically fitting representation of the Sonic franchise being a pitiful, shallow, flanderised imitation of its former self. sad.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edited my original comment because I realised it was douchey.

It will be interesting to see the writers involved for this show. We have a MLP one on board already, don't we?

I have a feeling you don't like the writing. tongue.png

I have a feeling most here don't like Buffles. (including me, but point still stands)

Seriously, some of us don't like Pontac's writing and feel the need to state that. It's happening no less than most other complaints.