Awoo.

Characters you don't want to return

Chaos Incarnate

My main problem with Cream, aside from he fact that her personality seems almost insultingly satirical to the personality type she's supposed to have, is that she has little to separate her from the likes of Tails.  I always figured that she was just a female version of Tails, which for the most part holds to be true.  She's going to need a lot more in the way of individual style before I ever start to care about her.

Honestly I agree. I know not everyone is into shipping, but when I do it, I just can't do tails and cream. they are both too sweet and it would be weird smile.png. I think they are so much alike, that they are too much alike smile.png. I like the cream on Sonic X or in Sonic rush, who says things when she has no idea what it means, or says things out of character like how she , in Sonic X says "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? KNUCKLES?!? So If they leave her more like that, she is cool smile.png.

Edited by knucklesgirl

When it comes to Cream, I honestly don't mind her at all. She is a good character to me. She isn't a good match for Tails of course, so I don't go into the whole Tails x Cream thing. I feel he fits better with others, not her. Being like a big brother sort of thing is interesting of course if that was ever used. I feel Cream could be used more effectively as long as her story is more fleshed out and her relationship to characters is more defined like I see many people in art show her. Make her be like in the comics where she follows Amy around, at least when available and be almost like her assistant in a way, but Amy is also like her temperary guardian who looks after her when needed. She also looks like a character that would be good for like helping in a shop or giving advice and such during the game, as long as the voice is toned down a bit and not as high pitched. She is a good character, just not used as effectively as I feel she could be. My opinion, if people haven't already seen from other topics, is that I believe all characters are useful, so I wouldn't want any to not return again, but definately some do need some tweeking to be used more effectively.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's what happens when a game ages.  You have the clashing perspectives of newer Sonic fans and the retrospective point of view of fans from ten years ago.  Up until 2009 (I think?) the game was heralded as the last good entry in the series, but now there seems to be a pretty significant division on the overall quality of the game.  God knows what games we'll be debating the value of ten years from now.

My main problem with Cream, aside from he fact that her personality seems almost insultingly satirical to the personality type she's supposed to have, is that she has little to separate her from the likes of Tails.  I always figured that she was just a female version of Tails, which for the most part holds to be true.  She's going to need a lot more in the way of individual style before I ever start to care about her.

Um to answer one question: Probably Unleashed. It's the closest of the new games in tone to SA2, once again created a whole generation of fans with it's boost feature and was once the best Sonic game of this generation before Colors and Generations contested it and tastes started to change. Plus the Werehog, but that's a non factor really.

The thing is with Tails, he has a lot to offer Sonic other than being the voice of reason: He has flying abilities that can help Sonic on the field and a mechanical genius who builds all sort of gadgets for him. This genius translates to information brokerage, which explains his position as master of exposition (RHYMEZ!!) But more important than that, Tails is Sonic's little brother; they are literally the only family they have, so this emotional connection guarantees that Tails will stay near the top of the character hierarchy. 

So what does Cream have to offer everyone, let alone Amy? Her flying is not up-par with Tails, but ANYONE STRONG ENOUGH TO LIFT BIG THE CAT can't be all useless. Does having a pet chao serve to help the group (other than summoning a powerful god that destroys entire armies and wears an adorable bow-tie)? Can she utilize this expertise to other animals or maybe she has some Aquaman thing were she summons thousands of chao out of nowhere?!! We'll never know unless SEGA develops her into a genuine supporting character, and not just some cute decoration for lolicons.

Honestly I agree. I know not everyone is into shipping, but when I do it, I just can't do tails and cream. they are both too sweet and it would be weird smile.png. I think they are so much alike, that they are too much alike smile.png. I like the cream on Sonic X or in Sonic rush, who says things when she has no idea what it means, or says things out of character like how she , in Sonic X says "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? KNUCKLES?!? So If they leave her more like that, she is cool smile.png.

Oh com'on! Isn't Tails like, 10 now? Shouldn't he at least be curious about the other sex by now and realize that there's a cute bunny girl who shares a lot in common with him? Though if I was 10, I'd be more curious about the crazy hedgehog in the red dress and the voluptuous thief....who I will get into following these messages from our featured posters.

Tails is eight years old and Cream is six. No, I don't think either are at the age where they're going to be seriously curious about the opposite sex.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tails is eight years old and Cream is six. No, I don't think either are at the age where they're going to be seriously curious about the opposite sex.

Oh poo to you Mr. No Fun.tongue.png Damning the poor little fox to an immortality of youth! That's the worst type of immortality! NOW how can Sonic do his long-awaited 3 part performance of "The Birds and The Bees"?

Though I think I'll toss that insult over to SEGA for their inconsistency on aging their characters to keep them iconic. Didn't Izuka mention that Sonic is older now, due to the anniversary, Sonic's birthday in Generations and his new voice actor? Besides, kids these days are all desensitized by the internet, I bet the little guy knows more than Sonic at this point ;)

Um to answer one question: Probably Unleashed. It's the closest of the new games in tone to SA2, once again created a whole generation of fans with it's boost feature and was once the best Sonic game of this generation before Colors and Generations contested it and tastes started to change. Plus the Werehog, but that's a non factor really.

Except Sonic Unleashed was actually pretty negatively received at its time, especially the Wii/PS2 version.  Heck, even today opinions on the game are pretty divided, but at least the fandom has evolved past "this game is terrible and irredeemable because werehog and has no good features at all!"  Also, I know some... includiung myself... that would argue that Colors was a huge step down compared to Unleashed in terms of writing and level design, but that's a different story.

SA2 is a game that was almost unanimously well received at the time, but opinions have changed drastically overtime.

So what does Cream have to offer everyone, let alone Amy? Her flying is not up-par with Tails, but ANYONE STRONG ENOUGH TO LIFT BIG THE CAT can't be all useless. Does having a pet chao serve to help the group (other than summoning a powerful god that destroys entire armies and wears an adorable bow-tie)? Can she utilize this expertise to other animals or maybe she has some Aquaman thing were she summons thousands of chao out of nowhere?!! We'll never know unless SEGA develops her into a genuine supporting character, and not just some cute decoration for lolicons.

I doubt lifting Big the Cat in Sonic Heroes was ever intended to be a genuine character trait, although I'm sure you were just making a crack at Big's weight.  Also, as far as I know, Cheese only served a prominent role in Sonic Advance 2 and 3.  The former of which was essentially just a "beat the game for me" button, serving only to make being forced to beat the game for all the characters slightly less miserable than it could have been without her.  Like I said, she's going to need a lot more individuality than just a Chao she flings at her opponents.  At the very least, they're going to have to change her mechanics with Cheese so that some sort of skill or strategy is involved.

Oh com'on! Isn't Tails like, 10 now? Shouldn't he at least be curious about the other sex by now and realize that there's a cute bunny girl who shares a lot in common with him?

Tails is eight.  Just eight.  That aside, being alike or having a lot in common is not an intrinsic property of romantic chemistry.

I know I wasn't thinking about girls when I was 8. It kinda makes Tails & Cosmo's relationship a little awkward.

It's more than possible to have a crush at the age of 8.

What makes it awkward is that it was played as a serious relationship.

Edited by Akito

Oh poo to you Mr. No Fun.tongue.png Damning the poor little fox to an immortality of youth! That's the worst type of immortality! NOW how can Sonic do his long-awaited 3 part performance of "The Birds and The Bees"?

Though I think I'll toss that insult over to SEGA for their inconsistency on aging their characters to keep them iconic. Didn't Izuka mention that Sonic is older now, due to the anniversary, Sonic's birthday in Generations and his new voice actor? Besides, kids these days are all desensitized by the internet, I bet the little guy knows more than Sonic at this point wink.png

Oh I sure hope not! Tails is a sweet and youthful character. He does not seem to be the type to be into such things that you are describing. Honestly, I don't see the Children in the Sonic series as at all being in anyway desensitized by anything. they are purely children, as all children should be able to be.  (in  my opinion , anyway.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Just because someone is young, doesn't mean they cant like someone though. I've heard about it all the time, where kids can like other kids. Its just adults tell them not to alot of the time at their ages. Liking someone doesn't have to be stuck to pure age. Yes, he is still eight and likely isn't exactly mature enough and such, but these are animals now and not people. Things could be different in their world, you never know on that aspect. How much of their animal tendencies are still around and what parts have morphed into humanish ways.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just because someone is young, doesn't mean they cant like someone though. I've heard about it all the time, where kids can like other kids. Its just adults tell them not to alot of the time at their ages. Liking someone doesn't have to be stuck to pure age. Yes, he is still eight and likely isn't exactly mature enough and such, but these are animals now and not people. Things could be different in their world, you never know on that aspect. How much of their animal tendencies are still around and what parts have morphed into humanish ways.

Honestly, it is true. You can like someone when you are young. (which gives birth to the phrase "puppy love" wub.png )  and for unexplainable reasons, I just think Tails and Cosmo have better chemistry than Tails and cream. 

I personally consider the sonic characters to be a different race as opposed to regular animals :D

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to believe that Sonic and company possess all the traits humans do only in animal form.  Only because I don't want to think about Tails' "primitive instincts" any longer than I have to.

But yeah, as I said earlier, it's more than possible to have a crush on someone at a young age.  The problem with Tails and Cosmo's relationship is that it's played up like a mature relationship.  So it's preeeeeetty awkward when you know that Tails is eight and Cosmo is... do we ever find that out?

Edited by Akito

Honestly, it is true. You can like someone when you are young. (which gives birth to the phrase "puppy love" wub.png )  and for unexplainable reasons, I just think Tails and Cosmo have better chemistry than Tails and cream. 

I personally consider the sonic characters to be a different race as opposed to regular animals biggrin.png

Puppy love, literally, since he's a fox and they are a canine =P

Believe me, I always thought there was better chemestry between Tails and Cosmo than with cream, which is why I was a bit sad at the end of that series. I thought it was rather mean what they did there in the end.

I want to believe that Sonic and company possess all the traits humans do only in animal form.  Only because I don't want to think about Tails' "primitive instincts" any longer than I have to.

But yeah, as I said earlier, it's more than possible to have a crush on someone at a young age.  The problem with Tails and Cosmo's relationship is that it's played up like a mature relationship.  So it's preeeeeetty awkward when you know that Tails is eight and Cosmo is... do we ever find that out?

Believe me, I think alot about their primitive instincts more than you may think.

I know their relationship is played up a bit more maturely than it should have been. They were just likely trying to work with something the best they could there. Him being so awkward instead of  just being rather giggly and wanting to hang around her all the time and such like that instead of the ways they did. Things like that though are why I figure that things in their society may be slightly different than ours. I take this from the fact it seems to be more ok for older teenagers to marry and for love to bloom alot younger in their world. We have no idea how long or short their life cycles may be either. Alot of these things are left to our interpretation for when we have our personal canon's, rp's, and stories we do over time.

• Thumbs Up 1

How do you go about discussing the "primitive instincts" of a sentient plant considering that's who Tails was in love with in Sonic X?

So it's preeeeeetty awkward when you know that Tails is eight and Cosmo is... do we ever find that out?

9hswo0.jpg

Nope.

I do think though that considering the way time passes over the course of the series, Tails has to be at least 9 in season 3. Not much better though.

The problem with Tails' and Cosmo's relationship in X is that it isn't really believably developed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh I sure hope not! Tails is a sweet and youthful character. He does not seem to be the type to be into such things that you are describing. Honestly, I don't see the Children in the Sonic series as at all being in anyway desensitized by anything. they are purely children, as all children should be able to be.  (in  my opinion , anyway.)

Maybe that's why only Sonic and Eggman are the most relatable and enduring characters of the franchise. Because they're able to be flexible in any role and era. Though, Tails has been showing shades of this since Colors. Good, it makes him a better straight man to Sonic's reckless antics. Hey, a wise man once said:

"No one can be a Boy Wonder forever"

tumblr_m5dw6mGLfF1qimttgo1_500.png

Sonic Man may never return out of any character, that is all.

The hero that we deserved. But not the one we got...instead we got Silverdry.png

2ee6ae2b-558c-4782-8f94-571372754854.jpg

........The Feels. THE FEEEEEEEELLLLSSSS!!!

SONNNIKKKUU~MAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Why are some of you people so strict with the age thing? Even on the Rugrats they had love interests and they were babies! Love has no age! Tails and Cosmo are nice together.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why are some of you people so strict with the age thing? Even on the Rugrats they had love interests and they were babies! Love has no age! Tails and Cosmo are nice together.

Very true. As was mentioned above, there is such as thing as puppy love, where younger people do like each other. They may not do anything more than hold hands, hug, or hang out alot together, but they still like being around each other. Yes, they may have hinted at this being a bit more in the show, but still, Tails having love interests at a younger age honestly isn't unheard of at all. Also, we still don't know much about a mobians life cycle. We assume it is exactly like ours, but is it? Dunno. Maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

But at least they are handled as though they are babies since, you know, they were.

Tails and Cosmo, on the other hand, were treated like they were young adults or teenagers at the very least.  You could argue "but his intelligence is superior to that of the average of eight-year-old" but intelligence has nothing on experience, which I think it's safe to say Tails has don't have much in the way of.

But at least they are handled as though they are babies since, you know, they were.

Tails and Cosmo, on the other hand, were treated like they were young adults or teenagers at the very least.  You could argue "but his intelligence is superior to that of the average of eight-year-old" but intelligence has nothing on experience, which I think it's safe to say Tails has don't have much in the way of.

Though one thing we don't know is what is puberty age for anthromorphic animals. Normal animals become active alot sooner than we do, so who's to say that Tails hasn't hit that age and actually is slightly interested in girls? Of these just go about how you wish to perceive their species and universes. Unless they say something specific about things like this, it is all left up to each person's interpretation. I can think one way and you another, doesnt make us both right, but neither are we both wrong as well. Just depends in that situation.

Though one thing we don't know is what is puberty age for anthromorphic animals. Normal animals become active alot sooner than we do, so who's to say that Tails hasn't hit that age and actually is slightly interested in girls? Of these just go about how you wish to perceive their species and universes. Unless they say something specific about things like this, it is all left up to each person's interpretation. I can think one way and you another, doesnt make us both right, but neither are we both wrong as well. Just depends in that situation.

Considering there seems to be little to no thought put into the age of any of the characters or how that age defines their personality and place in the world, the only headcanon that is plausible with that mindset is that they're born with a set level of intellect that never changes.  So that's another reason I try not to think about those sort of things.  It will never go anywhere.

That being the case, my mind will always revert to default "just like furry humans" theory until proven otherwise.  So it's still just as awkward to me.

I think most people seem annoyed with him. Until they find a better way to explain things, he is still going to most likely be the one that can explain how to do things. There is no calm tikal voice to do it anymore, unlike in SA1.

• Thumbs Up 1

We barely even know anything about them, how could you possibly judge if you'd want them to return or not.

• Thumbs Up 5