Awoo.

Characters you don't want to return

Chaos Incarnate

The topic says it all: who do you think should never return to the Sonic series, or at least not show up in a major role for a while? This doesn't necessarily mean you hate them or anything, but you feel maybe they're a one time character. Every character I'm listing I don't have a problem with, and actually like.

First up is Gamma and Chaos from Sonic Adventure. I like them both: they're tragic characters for different reasons, and they had some of the best character development in that game, but in my honest opinion, they should both stay dead. Gamma's story came full circle with him searching for the bird, and when he gets destroyed at the end of his story redeeming himself, the bird's family is revealed to be inside of him. That's really sad, and it's one of the reasons his character is so loved. 

Chaos is another story. I love his design, and he's a really intimidating villain when he goes into his perfect form, but deep down, he has a huge heart full of sorrow and revenge. I like to think of him as staying up on the heavens with Tikal, forever.

This one is probably obvious, but please: whatever you do, don't bring Chip back. He was one of my favorite characters in Sonic Unleashed(even though some of the comic relief scenes with him were a little over the top), but his story arc came to a nice close at the end of Sonic Unleashed: it's his duty to stop Dark Gaia and return to slumbering every year. Chip rescuing his new best friend Sonic, only to seal himself in the planet's core with Dark Gaia is what makes the ending to Sonic Unleashed so impactful, and my favorite ending of the series.

What about all of you? Do you happen to disagree with me, or think of any other characters?

• Thumbs Up 2

Aside from characters who are dead or otherwise securely out of the series (who should stay gone out of respect), I have no interest in seeing Cream, Silver, or Eggman Nega again. I don't find any of them to be at all interesting.

• Thumbs Up 5

Gamma is dead...so yea, no chance of him coming back.

In terms of characters that are still around; I really wouldn't care if Cream, Big, or Silver ever came back because I can't find myself to care about them really.

Elise.

Yeah, of course I know she'll never come back after 06', but even if she came back a revamped/better character, it would still be salt to a wound most would rather forget and heal already.

Edited by DarkLight

Mighty, Ray, Bean, Bark and Fang/Nack.

I just... Don't see why these guys are considered amazing and why oldie fans want them back in the games, they play a much larger role in the comics I bet but honestly I hate their designs and can't see them fitting into the modern games of today.

• Thumbs Up 9

Any character that's dead stays dead. That's how I like it. Also, if you have a plot thread that was wrapped up, it should be treated as such. Of course, I have Knuckles and Blaze as exceptions, but generally I like to stick to that rule.

I love Cream as a character, but other than being Amy's version of Tails without the genius and with much more innocence, she doesn't serve that big of a purpose anymore. She's the only one that actually has parents in the games, so there's another issue. She'd fit in more in a universe that gave the other characters family to interact with on occasion, like Archie or something. In the games though, no.

Elise shouldn't come back, and despite my love for this villain in concept, neither should Mephiles. He was dealt with, and I don't really see how he could be re worked to be an even better villain.

...on second thought, somebody make him better and put him in the games. Give him a cameo or something, please. I love this guy.

I'll be back later.

I like Silver for the concept alone, and his new voice is actually quite good. I like the concept of a telekenetic Hedgehog who can fly and lift items with his mind. That's just awesome. He's got a lot of potential, the rival boss in Generations is proof of that.

Fair enough dude, 'tis your opinion. I just don't find the character's design very appealing in the first place honestly and to me his backstory just feels like a badly thrown together fanfiction for the sake of having time travel in a game. I'm also not one for telekinetic hedgehogs cuz I'm a retro nerdbitchface but then again I endorse a blue hedgehog who runs at the speed of sound so who am I to complain?

I dont want anyone to go away. I can understand people not wanting certain characters to be in a major role, but to say characters should just go away and never been seen again, I never support. Characters that have died or just have their main story arc close to where they shouldn't come back again, that's one thing, but to say, oh I dont like this character, throw them in the trash, no, never.

I've seen so many critics out there in the past say to throw them all away, even Tails and Knuckles and just leave it Sonic and Eggman, that's it, which I find rediculous. The stories have already been too simple as of late, so keeping these characters around does at least allow more interaction and story than just sonic, go to the end of the levels and fight Eggman from time to time.

• Thumbs Up 4

Basically as others have stated, the only characters I have a huge problem with returning are the ones that are canonically dead or have a legit reason to no longer appear.

Other than that, I really don't want to see Big have a huge story role anymore.  I wouldn't mind him being in the background, a la SA2, but I don't want him to have significant gameplay again.  Cream, I could care less, and Eggman Nega I think has been done to death (all two times he's appeared).

To contradict my opening statement, however, I think we're due for a break from Shadow... even though we're already kind of taking a break from Shadow.  I don't hate Shadow.  I just miss him being dead is all.  Is that terrible?  Yeah, that's pretty terrible. @3@

Shade the Echidna. Her entire existence is a continuity snarl of epic proportions, she's incredibly boring as a character with an extremely deadpan flat personality, her character was utilized primarily as a means of exposition and to me she reeks of being a fancharacter-esque inclusion who takes important roles without doing anything interesting with them. I don't even consider Knuckles' interactions with her the least bit compelling either.

• Thumbs Up 6

Blaze. Yes, I said it. Her plotline of other dimensional princess has been done. Her excuse of 'its the Sol Emeralds will that Im here' doesnt work anymore (all that way, just for birthday cake?}. Id just rather she didnt come back in a main game. Shes ok for olympics though.

Realistically speaking, at this point the only characters who really have a chance in the spotlight again are Tails, Knuckles, Amy & Shadow, and the latter three are being extremely generous given they've barely been given any focus either.

Everyone else will probably just get multiplayer appearances, and cameos in the main games but nothing really substantial I can't really see.

Which means I'll never get to see Blaze & Rouge in a main role again......which pisses me off.

One of my favorite things about the series is is its diverse cast, and I'd rather not have that get taken away. However, there are a few characters I'm not really interested in seeing again. These are Omega (the least interesting member of Team Dark in my opinion), Wave and Storm (who aren't much more than secondary characters to Jet), and the "scrapped" characters (with the exception of Fang and Mighty, because I like those guys).

Shade the Echidna. Her entire existence is a continuity snarl of epic proportions, she's incredibly boring as a character with an extremely deadpan flat personality, her character was utilized primarily as a means of exposition and to me she reeks of being a fancharacter-esque inclusion who takes important roles without doing anything interesting with them. I don't even consider Knuckles' interactions with her the least bit compelling either.

Could you explain how she interferes with the continuity? I don't like her either, but as far as I can tell she doesn't cause any plotholes by existing.

Could you explain how she interferes with the continuity? I don't like her either, but as far as I can tell she doesn't cause any plotholes by existing.

Kinda goes against that whole "Knuckles is the last echidna" thing Sega's been hammering into our heads since 1994.

• Thumbs Up 3

Am I one of the only Sonic fan-boys that wants to see the return of Chaos? I loved him as a bad guy, and I thought it was a good switch up from Dr. Robotnik.

Also, I actually like Silver the Hedgehog. I think Sonic, Shadow and Silver make a great trio of hedgehogs that Sonic Team can do a lot with. They had the right idea to have them all playable in Sonic 06, but the game itself didn't do the three justice at all.

As for characters who shouldn't come back...

-Big (I don't mind his cameos however..)

-Princess Sally (I know she only had a very minor appearance in Sonic Spinball, but she was annoying in the show/comics...I'm not a fan haha)

-Shade

-Elise (There might be riots if this ever happened)

Her and her tribes sudden appearance with absolutely zero foreshadowing in games beforehand and the palpable sense that this was only done as a means of making a mark on Sonic continuity despite being completely in vain because it's ultimately non-canon comes off to me as contrived. Knuckles has always been established as the last of his kind and I see no good reason as to why that needed to be shaken-up for the sake of plot points that were already satisfactorily tied-up.

You can't really keep making Chaos a villain, otherwise you miss both the point of his character and the running theme of the Adventure games. If he came back, the most likely thing that would happen to him is that he'd become a good guy.

• Thumbs Up 5

Kinda goes against that whole "Knuckles is the last echidna" thing Sega's been hammering into our heads since 1994.

It's not really hurting the continuity for it to turn out there are more echidnas, tho'.

It's not really hurting the continuity for it to turn out there are more echidnas, tho'.

"Hurt?" Well no, most of the plotholes and retcons in this series aren't "hurtful." But it is a continuity niggle under a context that "last of his kind" literally means every single other echidna- in this dimension and all others- has ceased to exist. And I don't see why one would assume this context isn't the one Sega would be operating under, considering it would make no sense to continually reiterate it if there was so much wiggle room about it that we could throw in more of them without any sort of conflict whatsoever.

"The last of his kind finds out he's not the last of his kind" is practically a cliche, though. All it does is show that what we thought was true was based on incomplete information.

We don't even know what happened to the rest of the echidnas after Chaos` attack, so for all we know there still could be others out there.

Like Dio said, more often than not "The last of his Kind" is almost never such.