Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

God no. I don't want Ike again. I want Chrom. You know, a newcomer. I really hope Ike's presence doesn't deconfirm him because I want like more then 3-4 newcomers for this game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

God no. I don't want Ike again. I want Chrom. You know, a newcomer. I really hope Ike's presence doesn't deconfirm him because I want like more then 3-4 newcomers for this game. 

What would you prefer

• Chrom replacing Ike and taking his moveset, upsetting Ike fans and giving Chrom something unoriginal or "stolen". Not exactly gonna make Chrom fans over the moon.
  • Ike being gone and Chrom having a new moveset, completely erasing Ike's moveset from the game, upsetting those who enjoyed that moveset
  • Both being in it, with two unique movesets. Everyone wins.

This is a non-complaint. Nothing about Ike's presence means Awakening (the fucking Final Fantasy VII of Fire Emblem where fans seem to think no other game before it matters anymore) reps are deconfirmed.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that certain characters "steal" other characters' roster slots. I'm not sure why Ike and Lucario, two Brawl characters from important points of their franchises with dedicated fanbases and popular and completely unique movesets, are getting flak where no one is giving Toon Link shit for strolling in with a clone moveset. There's no real reason to believe that one person's favourite should be prioritised over another, Sakurai did say that it's impossible to please everyone but this takes the cake.

I never thought I'd see a fighting game discussion where people were legitimately upset about characters not getting cut. Everyone goes on and on about Roy and Mewtwo and here we are being upset that characters aren't getting cut.

• Thumbs Up 8

I highly doubt it took much time to re-implement Ike into the game anyways. Besides needing to create a new model, they probably just ported him over from Brawl and adjusted him so that he works like they've seemingly done with the rest of the veterans. It most likely takes them no time at all to recreate the vets, and because of that I think we might actually see more newcomers. Not to mention that a big chunk of Namco is helping create the games so they've got way more man-power to work with.

Not to mention that a big chunk of Namco is helping create the games so they've got way more man-power to work with.

True!

And don't forget what roster sizes Namco are used to working with..

f6ec9df8c4352e2b0922532ede31a9dd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll only get tired of FE sword character inclusions when they stop being enjoyable, well made and generally popular characters.  It's a good thing for both Marth and Ike that is not the case.  As I said before, there are multiple different ways to wield a sword.  Nothing is stopping Chrom from being a unique character in his own right.

• Thumbs Up 2

What would you prefer

• Chrom replacing Ike and taking his moveset, upsetting Ike fans and giving Chrom something unoriginal or "stolen". Not exactly gonna make Chrom fans over the moon.
  • Ike being gone and Chrom having a new moveset, completely erasing Ike's moveset from the game, upsetting those who enjoyed that moveset
  • Both being in it, with two unique movesets. Everyone wins.

This is a non-complaint. Nothing about Ike's presence means Awakening (the fucking Final Fantasy VII of Fire Emblem where fans seem to think no other game before it matters anymore) reps are deconfirmed.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that certain characters "steal" other characters' roster slots. I'm not sure why Ike and Lucario, two Brawl characters from important points of their franchises with dedicated fanbases and popular and completely unique movesets, are getting flak where no one is giving Toon Link shit for strolling in with a clone moveset. There's no real reason to believe that one person's favourite should be prioritised over another, Sakurai did say that it's impossible to please everyone but this takes the cake.

I never thought I'd see a fighting game discussion where people were legitimately upset about characters not getting cut. Everyone goes on and on about Roy and Mewtwo and here we are being upset that characters aren't getting cut.

Well, the reason people get upset is because Sakurai has stated that this game's not going to have as big of a character roster size jump as Brawl did. So that would lead one to the conclusion that there's not going to be as many newcomers. What I was hoping would happen was that some of the Brawl characters would get cut to make room for newcomers, but the more Brawl characters get revealed the less likely that seems to be happening, which could mean less newcomers.

You're right, Sakuari can't please everyone. He's certainly not pleasing me right now, for one. 

Ike doesn't deconfirm more newcomers.

• Thumbs Up 4

christ why

I can understand wanting an FE character other than Ike, but why the worst FE Lord character since Eirika?

Glad Ike is back.  He was a surprise character for me last game because despite knowing nothing about him due to not being into the strategy/RPG genres (thus both combined would be a nightmare for me), I really enjoyed playing as him, his heavy hits were so chunky and satisfying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the reason people get upset is because Sakurai has stated that this game's not going to have as big of a character roster size jump as Brawl did.

No he didn't, he stated characters weren't the most important addition to the game and people read too much into it.

It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.

This means the roster size isn't what's important in defining the whole game, and that's all it means.

You know what else he said? That he would stop doing as many interviews or revealing heavily worded snippets of game information because the fans were experts at reading too much into absolutely nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, there are lots of punching and kicking guys in the game, so having a good number of sword users doesn't bother me. Sure, the two sword users I would have loved to see in the game were relegated to Assist Trophies once again (Samurai Goroh and Lyn) but...yeah, at least they are still in. And, as long as the playable characters are fun and enjoyable, I don't actually care. But, you know, the small amount of magic users kinda irks me. We have Zelda and a few other guys ( Ganondorf doesn't count, sadly). I mean, Fire Emblem is full of magic users, and even though Tharja would be fine in all of her eye-candyness, I'd love something more...substantial. Zelda and Fire Emblem aren't the only "fantasy" series of Nintendo, right?

That being said, I'm fine with this roster, so far. Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer were kinda odd, but I welcome them with open arms, and with Palutena having a good chance of joining the smash fest, everything is awesome. I don't think that Starfox is still going to have 3 characters, sadly, and I lost hope for more F-Zero guys. Kirby is fine just the way it is and old man Snake seems to have retired.

In a perfect world, I would add Simon Belmont to the roster but I think his presence is really that far-fetched at this point.

No he didn't, he stated characters weren't the most important addition to the game and people read too much into it.

This means the roster size isn't what's important in defining the whole game, and that's all it means.

You know what else he said? That he would stop doing as many interviews or revealing heavily worded snippets of game information because the fans were experts at reading too much into absolutely nothing.

But in that statement he said "In terms of quanity, we've pretty much already reached the limit of what's feasible". Which actually makes me even more worried because it doesn't seem too far-fetched/a stretch that this game's roster actually won't be bigger then Brawl's at all or possibly a bit smaller, which makes my newcomer concerns even more pressing.

Providing this is what he means by that, of course. I'd be very happy to have the game prove me wrong.

But in that statement he said "In terms of quanity, we've pretty much already reached the limit of what's feasible". Which actually makes me even more worried because it doesn't seem too far-fetched/a stretch that this game's roster actually won't be bigger then Brawl's at all or possibly a bit smaller, which makes my newcomer concerns even more pressing.

What makes you think he was talking about Brawl? The context was SSB4 development, and the roster for fighting games is typically decided in pre-production. There's no reason to believe "the limit of what's feasible" wasn't talking about the planned roster for SSB4, especially as he's Japanese and translating Japanese to English is always going to depend on the translator's knowledge of context, of which they may have had to guess here since the quote is so small.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just gonna assume that everyone not confirmed from Brawl is in this unless proven otherwise. Ike's inclusion kinda lends credence to my theory that they have a much easier time implementing Brawl characters.

And certain veterans from Melee aren't out of the question, either - Greninja's reveal trailer trolling everyone by making them think it was Mewtwo pretty confirms that Sakurai is well aware that fans want Mewtwo back.

I personally think Mewtwo is back, but he's probably the only one back from Melee.

You know, there are lots of punching and kicking guys in the game, so having a good number of sword users doesn't bother me. Sure, the two sword users I would have loved to see in the game were relegated to Assist Trophies once again (Samurai Goroh and Lyn) but...yeah, at least they are still in. And, as long as the playable characters are fun and enjoyable, I don't actually care. But, you know, the small amount of magic users kinda irks me. We have Zelda and a few other guys ( Ganondorf doesn't count, sadly). I mean, Fire Emblem is full of magic users, and even though Tharja would be fine in all of her eye-candyness, I'd love something more...substantial. Zelda and Fire Emblem aren't the only "fantasy" series of Nintendo, right?

That being said, I'm fine with this roster, so far. Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer were kinda odd, but I welcome them with open arms, and with Palutena having a good chance of joining the smash fest, everything is awesome. I don't think that Starfox is still going to have 3 characters, sadly, and I lost hope for more F-Zero guys. Kirby is fine just the way it is and old man Snake seems to have retired.

In a perfect world, I would add Simon Belmont to the roster but I think his presence is really that far-fetched at this point.

In the case of Lyn, its even more disappointing because her swords are really more of katanas. Katanas are yet unrepresented in-game and would be a welcome addition.

Oh, and Isaac. Again, I say, Isaac. Golden Sun is a great world and the Psynergy would be amazing for a moveset. Palutena I also think is quite likely of an addition so she'd be a magic user, and I'd like to see a Fire Emblem magic user as well. Don't forget that Rosalina is basically a magic user as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

I haven't played Awakening, but what the hell is wrong with Chrom?

(I still want Lucina at least as an alt for Marth.)

What makes you think he was talking about Brawl? The context was SSB4 development, and the roster for fighting games is typically decided in pre-production. There's no reason to believe "the limit of what's feasible" wasn't talking about the planned roster for SSB4, especially as he's Japanese and translating Japanese to English is always going to depend on the translator's knowledge of context, of which they may have had to guess here since the quote is so small.

Was Smash 4 past pre-production at the time of this interview? If so I would buy this explanation. But if Smash 4 was still in pre-production at the time of this quote there's the possibility that this quote was referring to Brawl because Smash 4's roster may not have been finalized. 

What are you asking? Are you asking why some people (myself included) don't really want Chrom in the game?

The main issue is he wouldn't bring much new to Smash Bros. That's basically it. He's just another main Lord sword user. It'd be nice to have representation of other aspects of Fire Emblem, such as having in a magic user. Ike stands out slightly more because although he's a main Lord sword user, he's based on the Mercenary class, which fight very different from average Lord characters.

Which is also why I would've liked Lyn. She's based on the myrmidon/swordmaster class even though she's a Lord.

The main way I could see Chrom bringing something new is if he had abilities based on the fact that Awakening is the first new game to have a reclass system, or allowing him to use a lance, but neither is particularly likely to happen.

Everything? He's a direct clone of Ike with animu stereotypes slapped on. He's the worst protagonist the series has ever had.

Everything? He's a direct clone of Ike with animu stereotypes slapped on. He's the worst protagonist the series has ever had.

He's not a direct clone. From what I've heard he fights a lot different from Ike. He's more in between Ike and Marth. But that said, being "in between" isn't good. He may be different from both slightly, but he's still a combination of the two.

Not going to argue on him being the worst Protagonist of the series, though. I haven't played the game myself, I just know what I've read online. I know the plot, a number of features in the game, and other things, but I haven't played it entirely myself so I can't judge him accurately. He didn't seem that bad to me from what I'd seen.

But regardless, I don't want Chrom from a gameplay standpoint. I'd like someone who'd bring more to Smash Bros.

I'm hearing stuff about Skylanders-ish figures being used in the Wii U version.

Is this true?

I'm hearing stuff about Skylanders-ish figures being used in the Wii U version.

Is this true?

Dunno, but nothing has stated how its going to work either. Customization is a confirmed feature. There's no way the game is going to run entirely on NFC figures, though. Nintendo's NFC plans currently involve allowing them to work with a variety of games. Its probably the same with with Smash Bros.; you can save your customization options to your figures and take them with you when you go to a friends house, and they might even be usable in other games.

Honestly, the idea behind NFC just screams Smash Bros. I highly doubt they'll actually add characters to Smash Bros. with this feature, though. And if they do create new figures, there will likely be a patch that allows them to work in Smash Bros.

The fact is, we don't know if its true, and if it is true, how it'll work. Don't jump to conclusions, and you can rest assured that you won't have to buy each character separately. If its compatible, its going to be for taking customization options with you and perhaps taking them to other games as well.

Well, I Like Ike (kudos to those that get the reference), and he looks cool to me, still hoping for ROB and Wolf myself, though with wolf, I would like to see him get his dual machine pistols from Assualt, or the plasma cannon, or just a mix of weapons from that game cause they do fit his character

Nice to see ike back, besides sonic he was my secondary main for a while though I do hope they give him a buff this time around since in 1 on 1's it was hard to hit anybody with him.

(Now all I need is magnus and my dreams will be fulfilled).