Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Well, were up to 30 characters now. You guys think it'll get to 40?

We still got 3 originals Ness, jiggly and Falcon.

With still a few more characters from brawl and a few newcomers who is left to be revealed. I'm pretty sure it'll reach 40

I'm sooo freakin' hyped right now! I always liked Ike in Brawl, but I didn't think he would come back. Glad I was wrong!

I wonder how long it'll take to finally see the likes of Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Meta Knight and Wario to be revealed.

BTW. Damn, Ike is a fucking beefcake! O.O

Nice Radiant Dawn Ike aka the best Ike.  He's lookin mad powerful.  Hope he's a tad faster this time round.  He wasn't too bad in Brawl and was a lot of fun but could definitely save to be better.

I just want his recovery to be a bit different. Needing to pick between horizontal or vertical movement is never fun. 

But I really liked Ike and I'm glad to see him back. 

Oh hell yes. EVERYBODY on Youtube kept trying to tell me that Ike wasn't going to be in. Damnit I was right, and not only that, but he's in his Radiant Dawn appearance. AWESOME! I gotta take a look at those screenshots now!

Neat! A character reveal to end the week! Pretty unexpected, but exciting news nonetheless!

I'm not too fussed about Ike returning, but he was a fun character to use. If anything, I hope his standard B has more of a use this time around.

Before.

This is his design from Radiant Dawn. Brawl's was hid Path of Radiance design.

Not a big fan of Radiant Dawn Ike, but I'll take it over shitty ass Chrom so hopefully this is it for FE reps.

I'm still hoping for a more recent character from the franchise still personally. To have the same two fighters from brawl would seem strange and disheartening honestly after the positive reception of Awakening. Tho I won't complain if this is it. Ike look pretty sweet.

Oh I agree, just as long as it wouldn't be Chrom.

Which it probably would.

I'd like a third FE rep, and I agree, I don't want it to be Chrom. Personally, I think Anna is the best choice. Since there are so many Anna's, they can give her whatever class they want and it'd still work. If they keep Anna based on Awakening's playable Anna, though, they can just give her a dagger instead of a sword and perhaps a few magic attacks as well (it fits with the staff). To date we don't have a dagger user, either, although frankly I'd rather have a class based on Dark Flier; magic and a lance.

I'm perfectly OK with Chrom getting in... if alternate characters are unlockable as skins of existing characters, and Chrom is an alt of either Ike or Marth. Chrom can get his own unique moveset, he CAN. But that doesn't mean he needs to be. And even then, he wouldn't be hugely different from Ike or Marth.

• Thumbs Up 2

Super happy to see Ike back! He was one of the veterans I was most worried about being kicked out, and now he is safe!! Now I'm just really worried about Lucas and ROB, but I'm still sure that Wario, Ganon, Jiggs, MetaKnight, Falco, Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climber and Game&Watch will be back.

Christ this roster is shaping up to be gigantic :/

I'd like a third FE rep, and I agree, I don't want it to be Chrom. Personally, I think Anna is the best choice. Since there are so many Anna's, they can give her whatever class they want and it'd still work. If they keep Anna based on Awakening's playable Anna, though, they can just give her a dagger instead of a sword and perhaps a few magic attacks as well (it fits with the staff). To date we don't have a dagger user, either, although frankly I'd rather have a class based on Dark Flier; magic and a lance.

I'm perfectly OK with Chrom getting in... if alternate characters are unlockable as skins of existing characters, and Chrom is an alt of either Ike or Marth. Chrom can get his own unique moveset, he CAN. But that doesn't mean he needs to be. And even then, he wouldn't be hugely different from Ike or Marth.

Anna may have been in multiple Fire Emblem games but she's been an extremely minor side character in all of them barring Awakening and even in that game she didn't play a particularly major role even though she was playable (heck you don't even recruit her in a main chapter but rather one of the Paralogue chapters).  For a series like Fire Emblem ideally they want to pick characters that work as representatives for their game/series as a whole.  Despite the fact that the FE series is now pretty popular thanks to Awakening, there are still going to be a lot of people who will play Smash 4 but haven't played FE or may have even heard of it.  Therefore Smash will essentially be their introduction to the series and for those types of people, you're going to want to represent the characters who play major roles in the games.  Marth is obviously the primary poster boy, whilst Ike gained enough popularity from Brawl and has had enough of a presence in the FE universe (PoR and RD mainly, less so Awakening although arguably due to Priam) to warrant a return.

Chrom fits this bill (with the other fits being Lucina and the Avatar).  When new players learn about the FE series, they'll likely jump to Awakening and be instantly familiarised with his character and be able to experience the vast majority of the adventure with him.  He's a key character that drives the story and the game couldn't work without him.  And with regards to his moveset I've said this before but who are we to decide who can plausibly have a unique moveset or not?  Sakurai has proven time and time again he can craft interesting, unique ideas from seemingly uninteresting stuff.  There are plenty of ways to wield a sword, and a fair few mechanics present in Awakening not present in Marth and Ike's games that they could represent through Chrom.  Sakurai could very well make it work.

What? His 60% K.Os weren't enough?

60% KOs mean nothing if you're too slow to set them up.  Ike wasn't great in Brawl and could easily be better, there's no two ways about it.  He was a little too slow and his recovery was poor, so they could easily speed him up a tad and make his recovery a little more flexible.  Not too much such that it would be unbalanced, but enough to make him more effective. 

Am I the only one who sees this design for Ike like Boom_Knuckles? (People are saying it's from another FE game, but still.)

Edit: nope, ninja'd.

Super happy to see Ike back! He was one of the veterans I was most worried about being kicked out, and now he is safe!! Now I'm just really worried about Lucas and ROB, but I'm still sure that Wario, Ganon, Jiggs, MetaKnight, Falco, Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climber and Game&Watch will be back.

Anyone from Brawl is probably a safe bet. I swear I've noticed this much earlier in this topic, but this game was built on the Brawl engine - a lot of the work has been done for existing characters already, so it's a bit easier to implement them.

Why would you compare this to Bara Knuckles...

Guys, if your computer can run dolphin, or you have money falling out of your ass, I beg you to pick up Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They're the best games in the series and it really is painful to see people act like this design came out of nowhere when it's been his canon design for 7 years now.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, aside from the missing original Smash. veterans (Ness, Falcon and Jigglypuff) the other veterans that are missing are:

*Snake

*Lucas

*Mr. Game & Watch

*R.O.B.

*Ice Climbers

*Meta Knight

*Falco

*Wolf

*Wario

*Ganondorf

I have the bad feeling that either half of this list will be cut off or we will get at best other 2-3 new characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would you compare this to Bara Knuckles...

Guys, if your computer can run dolphin, or you have money falling out of your ass, I beg you to pick up Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They're the best games in the series and it really is painful to see people act like this design came out of nowhere when it's been his canon design for 7 years now.

Seriously, apparently a lot of people are missing out on this. Radiant Dawn is my absolutely favorite game in the series, its amazing. Only sucky thing is that my disc is damaged. Ugh... I'd love to replay this game again. Honestly, its hard for me to get back into POR after having played through RD several times.

So, aside from the missing original Smash. veterans (Ness, Falcon and Jigglypuff) the other veterans that are missing are:

*Snake

*Lucas

*Mr. Game & Watch

*R.O.B.

*Ice Climbers

*Meta Knight

*Falco

*Wolf

*Wario

*Ganondorf

I have the bad feeling that either half of this list will be cut off or we will get at best other 2-3 new characters.

I personally think Snake, Lucas, and either Falco or Wolf will be dropped. Note that I also think we may likely get alternate characters as skins, so they may still be in but as direct clones/skins instead of separate characters.

Also for Snake, I think that he might be replaced by an Advance Wars rep. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Wario, Meta Knight, and Ganondorf I think are pretty safe, Ganondorf just needs a new moveset and he's golden.

If we take into consideration what we have now, thirty characters, and looking at this listing:

31. Ness

32. Captain Falcon

33. Jigglypuff

34. Ice Climbers

35. Wario

36. Ganondorf

37. Meta Knight

38. Falco/Wolf

That puts us right back up to about the same cast as Brawl (I'm counting switchables as separate characters). ROB I'm 50/50 on. He was original, but for the most part wasn't well-liked.

I think there's a good chance of about 5-6 unannounced new characters, but we'll see. I think we'll get at least 42.

I'm getting pretty tired of sword inclusions. If Ike is in the only other FE rep I'd ask for is Tharja.

Not Robin though cause s/he's boring and the default design is generic.

I personally think Snake, Lucas, and either Falco or Wolf will be dropped. Note that I also think we may likely get alternate characters as skins, so they may still be in but as direct clones/skins instead of separate characters.

Also for Snake, I think that he might be replaced by an Advance Wars rep. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Wario, Meta Knight, and Ganondorf I think are pretty safe, Ganondorf just needs a new moveset and he's golden.

If we take into consideration what we have now, thirty characters, and looking at this listing:

31. Ness

32. Captain Falcon

33. Jigglypuff

34. Ice Climbers

35. Wario

36. Ganondorf

37. Meta Knight

38. Falco/Wolf

That puts us right back up to about the same cast as Brawl (I'm counting switchables as separate characters). ROB I'm 50/50 on. He was original, but for the most part wasn't well-liked.

I think there's a good chance of about 5-6 unannounced new characters, but we'll see. I think we'll get at least 42.

Granted, Sakurai didn't discharged completely the idea of DLC, so i hope that even in the worst case there will be updates and stuff like that. But yeah, what you said seems to be the more likely scenario.

I think Lucas will be dropped. ROB might, too, but I think he's less likely to go ( Though, I wouldn't miss him). The rest of the are probably safe, though we might lose Falco or Wolf.

I'm getting pretty tired of sword inclusions. If Ike is in the only other FE rep I'd ask for is Tharja.

Not Robin though cause s/he's boring and the default design is generic.

I still dislike the idea of Tharja considering her miniscule role. There's so many mage users that actually play a decent role in the storyline of various Fire Emblem games and Tharja is literally just... there. Still, I'll have to admit, Tharja would be better than Chrom.

Personally, my top picks would be Aversa or Alviss. Alviss because he's a fairly popular villain and a main antagonist of the Jugdral games, which have no character representation at all. Aversa because if we were to get an Awakening rep, she's a major villain in that game who is encountered several times, is a magic user, and also uses lances. And in both cases, it'd follow the trend of adding a villain character when a franchise tops three characters in a game.

Granted, Sakurai didn't discharged completely the idea of DLC, so i hope that even in the worst case there will be updates and stuff like that. But yeah, what you said seems to be the more likely scenario.

If we get DLC, I'd anticipate they'd be reskins of characters rather than fully original characters. It'd be difficult to create fully original characters post-release. Although frankly I think that a new mechanic to have character reskins is highly likely as is, mainly due to this new custom movesets feature basically making clones redundant. The only reason why Toon Link is even viable is because he's half Link's height.

Now, if we anticipate six characters, who could they be? I still think Isaac and Advance Wars rep for sure. Namco rep... maybe. Palutena, a DK rep, and maybe a new Zelda rep (just so that the "Big 3" each get one new rep). I still think Sakurai is teasing something about Ridley, but I'm not going to consider him right now.

A lot of people keep suggesting Shulk as well, and although I thought he might've been a possibility before, I find him highly questionable. He'd be the first modern, most recent new IP to get representation in Smash Bros. with only one game released to date.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just gonna assume that everyone not confirmed from Brawl is in this unless proven otherwise. Ike's inclusion kinda lends credence to my theory that they have a much easier time implementing Brawl characters.

And certain veterans from Melee aren't out of the question, either - Greninja's reveal trailer trolling everyone by making them think it was Mewtwo pretty confirms that Sakurai is well aware that fans want Mewtwo back.

• Thumbs Up 2