Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Just for clarification's sake, no, I was more asking where you'd heard it. "On here" or "on Miiverse" or somesuch would've been fine - I certaintly didn't ask you to dig through 400-odd pages (not counting the, what, three seperate Smash threads we have?) to provide specific examples. Even I'm not that pedantic.

I think there's been misconstruments on both sides and it's gotten out of hand, so best not to feed it more I think.

For what it's worth I honestly don't remember, but it was a common wish people had on Miiverse and GameFAQs.

If that's really all you wanted to know I wish you could have asked without getting confrontational about it :v

As for the controller thing, it's cool, but I'm pretty sure most of the competitive community are currently more concerned about wired controllers than fightpads or fightsticks. Most of the Wii U's current controller options are wireless which is not ideal for competitive fighting games due to the input delay, so there are hopes within the competitive Smash community that some kind of proper wired controller can be made (I don't think the USB for the Pro Controller charger acts as a direct feed to the system for example).

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really care what the controller is as long as the layout isn't shit.

I used the Wiimote + Nunchuck for Brawl, I imagine that's what I'd be doing again if I was given the option.

An input delay? The only times I had problems with those was from flat screen TVs usually they cause the little lag in Wii games. Or all games actually.

My regular standard TV does fine with inputs. No lag.

An input delay? The only times I had problems with those was from flat screen TVs usually they cause the little lag in Wii games. Or all games actually.

My regular standard TV does fine with inputs. No lag.

It's not the kind of thing you notice in casual, every day play. No noticeable lag, but very few inputs in electronics are 100% immediate.

But there's a reason that competitive fighting or speedrunning tournaments in which every lightning fast reflex counts, relies on CRT TVs and wired controllers. I don't think it's fair to claim they're not necessary unless you are familiar with playing at a highly competitive level.

DSC_5626.jpg

This is an image from EVO's Melee tournament last year. EVO is one of the biggest competitive fighting game community events on the planet with no shortage of funding, which makes it pretty evident that the choice to have CRT TVs and wired controllers is a conscious one.

I'm not a competitive player myself so I couldn't tell you in detail why a wired controller is important.. but most people in the FGC I know seem to think wired controllers are pretty essential, so there's probably a good valid reason for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea probably,

I like to play competitive too but I'm pretty sure I'm not at their level but I wouldn't mind going against them.

Tourney level players count in frames. I guess I can't speak from experience but if I ever went that far I'm sure even the slightest delay would probably come off as pretty annoying, in a best case scenario - frame-perfect fighting is notoriously finicky and precise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wireless controllers are problematic in tournament environments because of all the wireless signals bouncing around the room. There can be dozens of controllers in use at any one time and there are only a limited amount of frequencies to broadcast on. And that's going to get messy, fast.

sZ6bkru.jpg?1

...That's some pretty loose inspiration I must say. Where is the C-stick?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wireless controllers are problematic in tournament environments because of all the wireless signals bouncing around the room. There can be dozens of controllers in use at any one time and there are only a limited amount of frequencies to broadcast on. And that's going to get messy, fast.

...That's some pretty loose inspiration I must say. Where is the C-stick?

That's a different controller, according to the comments. Kind of stupid of Go Nintendo to post it, though.

So they're mirroring the poses so that characters are always facing the right way?

Does this mean no more backwards-facing show me your moves? :<

• Thumbs Up 4

He said some characters. I have a feeling characters holding swords or something wouldn't be mirrored. Wouldn't they have to hold the sword on the next hand?

Like Marty, imagine him having to switch hands every time he turned around.

Edit: I said marth not Marty! Damn autocorrect.

• Thumbs Up 1

In addition to controller delay, Brawl also had a random 0-2 frame input delay regardless of what control method you used.  It's kind of masked by the fact that there is a 10 frame buffer, but it means that frame perfect executions, regardless of your skill level, are impossible to do consistently.  I really hope this is removed this game, there's literally no excuse to it being there barring poor programming. 

In addition to controller delay, Brawl also had a random 0-2 frame input delay regardless of what control method you used.  It's kind of masked by the fact that there is a 10 frame buffer, but it means that frame perfect executions, regardless of your skill level, are impossible to do consistently.  I really hope this is removed this game, there's literally no excuse to it being there barring poor programming.

Was this solved in project M?

But people being able to pull off frame-perfect moves ruins the experience for everyone else!

Really don't care but can understand the frustration in wireless only for those who do.  Doesn't look like there'd be any way to solve it without physically modifying the Wii U though.

I'll prolly be getting this Gamecube Pad though.  If we get N64 VC on Wii U, the GC layout is way more comfortable for those too.  Had they not released this I would've just bought an adapter, but I'd rather have an official one since naturally it won't be missing the -/Select, Control Stick Click and ZL functions.

I just hope since it's "officially third party" they don't do any unnecessary mandatory thinning or bulking up of the pad's original shape.  It was perfect as it was.

This may be of interest to people looking to play with something similar to a Gamecube controller. 

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/pdp-partners-nintendo-release-gamecube-controller-inspired-pad-wii-u-time-smash-bros/

The leading third-party manufacturer of video game accessories to release a line of Nintendo GameCube inspired controllers for Wii U, aligning with the release of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Performance Designed Products has announced that they are partnering with Nintendo to develop the Wired Fight Pad, a new line of Classic Controller inspired by the original Nintendo GameCube Controller. The Wired Fight Pad is licensed by Nintendo and designed for use with the Wii and Wii U consoles. The Wired Fight Pad plugs directly into the Wii Remote External Extension Connector. Players can use it for Wii and Wii U games that support the Classic Controller, the Classic Controller Pro, as well as some of Nintendo’s Virtual Console games. The Wired Fight Pad will feature fan-favorite Nintendo characters such as Mario, Yoshi, and Princess Peach with a shape inspired by the original Nintendo GameCube Controller. The Wired Fight Pad will be available at game launch at your local video game retailer this holiday season for $24.99. Here’s the controller they created for the Wii

original.jpg

I would hope that it looks more like an actual GC controller this time, but even if it looks like the Wii one it would be a reasonable substitute. Provided this game doesn't have Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro support (in which case I'd just use a Gamecube controller adapter), I'll definitively buy this. 

EDIT: I got Ninja'd didn't I 

Really don't care but can understand the frustration in wireless only for those who do.  Doesn't look like there'd be any way to solve it without physically modifying the Wii U though.

They could just make a USB controller.  The WiiU has two USB ports.  Heck they could even have an extension that allows for multiple controllers like the PS1 multi-tap.

And @Jords2Good yes it was

They could just make a USB controller.  The WiiU has two USB ports.  Heck they could even have an extension that allows for multiple controllers like the PS1 multi-tap.

And @Jords2Good yes it was

Oh yeah they absolutely could, and, should, really; I just meant in the context of "if no such product is actually made/released", like, if fans had to try and come up with a solution themselves.

Eh, brown-colored Bowser. Did anyone ever really use "Brownser" when the white color and blue color are also there? :X

Still, Brownser looks a lot better than he did in Brawl.

People used him in team "taunt" brawls online...if they were the type of people to do that.

Eh, brown-colored Bowser. Did anyone ever really use "Brownser" when the white color and blue color are also there? :X

Still, Brownser looks a lot better than he did in Brawl.

Umm... that isn't his brown color we're seeing here. It's his black color from Melee/Brawl, minus the blood-red hair.

I recently replayed Brawl on my Wii U, so I've become quite accustomed to the Classic Controller Pro for my all my smashin' needs. Though it did throw off my muscle memory like crazy when I first started playing with this setup. I think the GCN-type controller is a great idea. They can finally give it a D-pad that doesn't suck!

Why need to give it a D-pad that doesn't suck...the D-pad was the last thing that you'd be "purposely" using on a GC controller.

That's true for Smash Bros., as you don't need the D-pad for that game. But assuming people are going to use this thing for games other than Smash, it would be nice to have a decent D-pad for certain platformers and traditional fighting games.

Say, what if we got this version of Impa in Smash?

BoLTmIQIIAEZQBH.jpg

its similar to SS Impa, but is a longsword user

Combine that with SS's magic abilities and you've got an interesting moveset potential