Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Considering the game itself is non-canon, frankly I'd be surprised if they even entertained the thought. Besides, big-ass broadswords are more Fire Emblem's thing. =V

Not gonna lie though, I would like that as a costume option.

Teams!

1z3cnqv.jpg

Pic of the day. In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want! The color outlining the characters will show their team affiliation.

I guess the same will apply to the Wii U version in some way. Still a pretty nifty adjustment, and one that justifies the use of outlines in the 3DS version at that.

• Thumbs Up 6

SO MUCH YES!

Now I can make Mario and Sonic team up with out one having a different color. YEESH!

That's really cool! I always hated being restricted to just Red/Blue/Green in team battles. I hope this feature is in the Wii U version too.

Damn it, I got beaten to the punch again.  Whatever.

I know it's pretty pointless to say now, but this is actually something I was hoping they would do.  Not specifically color-coded outlines, but the general idea of doing team colors without specific palette swaps.

Now they just need to avoid bullshit palette swap selections like Sonic's various Brawl colors and we'll be golden.

Now THAT is really cool. We can finally play a legit Mario Bros, Donkey/Diddy, or Mario/Sonic pair!

Considering the game itself is non-canon, frankly I'd be surprised if they even entertained the thought. Besides, big-ass broadswords are more Fire Emblem's thing. =V

Not gonna lie though, I would like that as a costume option.

Not yet proven to be non-canon (just because its a spinoff doesn't make it non-canon), and even then there's nothing to suggest that Sakurai wouldn't have decided to include Impa that way and Nintendo probably had some involvement in deciding how she would play as well. It also proves that Impa wouldn't automatically be an outright be a clone of Sheik as everyone predicted.

I like the idea of including outlines to represent teams instead of costume changes. That is actually REALLY cool.

Honestly, that makes for a really good distinction. Seeing the bright outlines of a character seems to make whose team that player is on much more obvious than a character costume that fits into some color scheme. Good change.

Honestly, that makes for a really good distinction. Seeing the bright outlines of a character seems to make whose team that player is on much more obvious than a character costume that fits into some color scheme. Good change.

Hopefully the outline is added to the Wii U version as well. I'd love the ability to use any outfit I want instead of having a forced recolor.

Very nice indeed.  Would be good to have the option to turn it off too if you trust yourself to be able to remember who is on what team and don't want the visual clutter of outlines.

I like this a lot! It always did irk me that every character was a specific colour in group battles so these outlines are a great idea. Pretty sure the Wii U version has them implemented too, don't see why not.

Oh fuck my fucking life. 

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/22/nfc-will-be-used-in-super-smash-bros-wii-u/

French news publication Le Figaro is reporting that Super Smash Bros on the Wii U will utilise Near Field Communication. The information was revealed by Stephan Bole, director general at Nintendo France. Details regarding how the game uses the technology have yet to be announced, but it sounds as though there may be Smash Bros NFC toys on the horizon. “E3 is also an opportunity to show the use of NFC technology [used in Skylanders and Disney Infinity, allowing the use of real objects - here, figurines - in video games] in Nintendo consoles . The NFC will be used in the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros.” Thanks to those who sent this in.

So does this confirm the 3ds version as the actual good version? Because fuck me I really really don't want Smash Bros to turn into figure-purchasing Skylanders bullshit. 

no ;__;

I was really worried this would be the case and now I'm even more worried

the only way I would possibly be ok with this would be if it was all post-release DLC. No other way. Ugh.

Dude, you are over-reacting, Sakurai would never allow them to corrupt Smash bros the way they do skylanders and Disney Infinity

If anything its going to be like Pokémon rumble, its going to let you save custom movesets to take over to friend's houses

If anything, I'd be fine if it was for trophies and custom movesets. Characters are what's important to Smash, and as long as you can access all of them within the normal limits of the game, then it's fine. 

Oh fuck my fucking life. 

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/22/nfc-will-be-used-in-super-smash-bros-wii-u/

So does this confirm the 3ds version as the actual good version? Because fuck me I really really don't want Smash Bros to turn into figure-purchasing Skylanders bullshit. 

You're forgetting that Nintendo announced a NFC solution for 3DS, which will be a separate peripheral since the 3DS doens't have NFC built in... So it's likely the 3DS version would have the same feature that uses it as the Wii U version. I doubt Nintendo wouldn't implement their latest gimmick into both versions of one of their biggest titles.

Edited by Shade Vortex

Really I'd be fine with this if it was something that allowed you to take custom movesets over to other people's houses by saving them on real life Smash Trophy Stands, but I doubt it'll be that sad.png Fuck me Smash Bros, one of the few game franchises you can always count on to be at least good, might be getting ruined.......

You're forgetting that Nintendo announced a NFC solution for 3DS, which ... So it's likely the 3DS version would have the same feature that uses it as the Wii U version. I doubt Nintendo wouldn't implement their latest gimmick into both versions of one of their biggest titles.

Well the article only mentioned the Wii-U version so I was holding out that hope....

Actualy guys, this can be considered a rumor for the moment, since it is possible the dude has his info mixed up, the article also mentions SSB3DS coming out in October, which is extremely unlikely

I would hope it's a rumor/fuckup, because having figure crap seems so out of character for Sakuari to do with this franchise....it's like the last thing I'd expect him to do....well to be fair he did add tripping. 

I sincerely doubt it's for anything sinister. Perhaps they're for unlocking trophies, similar to Kid Icarus Uprising and it's AR cards. That was the last game Sakurai worked on after all.

If this is true and we get real life Smash Trophies as a result, I'd be behind this. I've wanted some collectible Smash trophies since I played Melee and I'd probably end up buying them and probably not using them for whatever they're used for in the games.

'sides, I don't think it'd be for granting access to characters a la Skylanders, so for now, this shouldn't really be written off as "AHHHHHH MONEH GRUBBING EVIL" until more info surfaces.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't think it will ruin the game. We'll have to see what they are doing with them first.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't get this whole anti-DLC circlejerk. At all. All they're doing is giving the game more content. It's not like it was ever going to be in the game in the first place, so why shouldn't they continue to add more content to the game even after it's released?

If they're deliberately holding back content just for the sake of making it DLC, that's something of a different matter. But a lot of people I ee just seem to hate the concept of DLC altogether, which is pretty ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 8

If they're deliberately holding back content just for the sake of making it DLC, that's something of a different matter. But a lot of people I ee just seem to hate the concept of DLC altogether, which is pretty ridiculous.

No, that's what I hate, and the reason I make a big deal of it is because most dlc is just that.

If the content was stuff that would normally not be in the game then I'd be ok with it, but right now my fear is that NFC will be necessary for some part of the game that is already ready for launch :/

• Thumbs Up 2

Locked content is always a drag, but it's probably a bit early to be flipping out, considering we don't know in what capacity the figures would be used.