Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Well there is blue.

That's the "coin" you put on the character to select them. Look at the player two section. It's got the Metroid symbol.

I was referring to inside the box lol. whoever that is, it looks more blue than purple honestly.

@Lime oooh. Okay.

I believe what its showing off is an "unlock" feature built into the demo. One thing I myself was thinking of before was it'd be cool if, in the demo, you defeated Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage and then... SURPRISE! "New Challenger Approaching..." and its Ridley. I think it'd be a really cool dynamic if you could unlock characters during the demo.

Granted its hard to tell at this point, but I like the look of this character select screen. Its different, and it shows all we're getting right off the bat.

I guess that sounds possible (Maybe not the Ridley thing because I'm in the camp who doesn't think Ridley could be a boss and playable at the same time)- it could totally happen, but there are a few problems I have with that:

For one, the idea of unlocking characters at a demo kiosk is kind of weird. I mean the way I assumed this works is you go in and play a match or two, then the next guy in line gets to play. So the people who play first would have access to fewer characters than the people who played later. This unlocking system would make sense for a timed demo on Wii U's shop channel but for a in-store event I imagine they would wan't all players to be able to access the same amount of content.

Another thing I find odd is the idea that this guy took a picture of the character select screen- and just the character select screen and just came short of showing Ridley's full name and new render. Either he didn't have a new render of Ridley because he knew internet detectives would debunk it, or he wanted to make the leak as useless as possible. 

That, and I find it odd that Bowser and Mega Man are not available from the outset. 

I guess that sounds possible- it could totally happen, but there are a few problems I have with that:

For one, the idea of unlocking characters at a demo kiosk is kind of weird. I mean the way I assumed this works is you go in and play a match or two, then the next guy in line gets to play. So the people who play first would have access to fewer characters than the people who played later. This unlocking system would make sense for a timed demo on Wii U's shop channel but for a in-store event I imagine they would wan't all players to be able to access the same amount of content.

Another thing I find odd is the idea that this guy took a picture of the character select screen- and just the character select screen and just came short of showing Ridley's full name and new render. Either he didn't have a new render of Ridley because he knew internet detectives would debunk it, or he wanted to make the leak as useless as possible. 

That, and I find it odd that Bowser and Mega Man are not available from the outset. 

Mega Man I can see*, and maybe for Bowser, they just decided to limit the number of characters available per franchise.

But as for Ridley, its quite simple. Assuming the leak is real, the leaker wanted to leave a hint (like Sakurai keeps doing) but still not spoil the surprise.

That's the "coin" you put on the character to select them. Look at the player two section. It's got the Metroid symbol.

Oh, I didn't think of it being the coin, that makes sense.

EDIT:

* I can see Mega Man because Sonic is a Veteran fighter. Mega Man unlocks after a couple of rounds probably.

One thing that the "leak" got right was that the display there is a smudgy piece of shit, like the kind you would find in a Best Buy. 

Mega Man I can see*, and maybe for Bowser, they just decided to limit the number of characters available per franchise.

But as for Ridley, its quite simple. Assuming the leak is real, the leaker wanted to leave a hint (like Sakurai keeps doing) but still not spoil the surprise.

Oh, I didn't think of it being the coin, that makes sense.

EDIT:

* I can see Mega Man because Sonic is a Veteran fighter. Mega Man unlocks after a couple of rounds probably.

But Mega Man is one of the most hyped characters in the game, and one of the newcomers that people are gonna want to play with when they see the game in stores. Why withhold him until he is unlocked? 

Again, it could be real, but the whole unlock system doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for an in-store event in which people will have to take turns. 

Hmm yeah.

Sorry guys the discrepancies between each screenshot like the idea of "unlocking" just don't really mesh with me.

And teasing that "Y" next to Pit, from the Metroid series, without actually showing it is.. yeah very very hard to believe.

I believe this far less than I did last night which was already not much. Yeah, I'd like to believe it, but when people take photos of a leak that would ~conveniently~ need them to show professional looking official art for a character that isn't revealed yet, and they can't? Hmmmmmmm.

(also, because RIdley's too big and that only appears to be one character slot, which we all know is impossible)

Oh yeah and, if this was real it'd mean no new Zelda characters. Not that I have a problem with that myself, but it's a curiosity.

EDIT: Since I'm bored I'm gonna make a roster prediction or something using those pics as a basis and see how it turns out. And yes, I am still 99% certain that those snapshots are fake, I'm just really bored.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you look at it, the number of characters per franchise in that picture do actually match up. Bowser and Rosalina next to Peach, Wario next to Yoshi. Two empty spots next to DK for Diddy and a DK newcomer, presumably Dixie or K. Rool. Meta Knight next to Dedede, Falco and Wolf next to Fox, an empty spot next to those two (either for a fourth Star Fox rep or an individual character), three spots next to Zelda for Shiek, Toon Link and Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus and Ridley next to Samus, Palutena next to Pit, three slots in the Pokémon area for Greninja, Jigglypuff and presumably Mewtwo, two slots next to Sonic for Mega Man and another third-party. And the rest are two spread out to really derive anything from them.

Probably fake anyway, but I like how they put some thought into who goes where, at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 2

just compare it to Brawls E for All Demo

hqdefault.jpg

I doubt the Best Buy Demo would randomly arrange characters in a sea of Lock Icons, wich I dont think would even be used to indicate a locked character if we go by Brawl.

plus...why is it always impossible for people who leak those things just to take a Picture from a Normal Angle? Just leave a post it note with a timestamp on it if you wanna look legit.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you look at it, the number of characters per franchise in that picture do actually match up. Bowser and Rosalina next to Peach, Wario next to Yoshi. Two empty spots next to DK for Diddy and a DK newcomer, presumably Dixie or K. Rool. Meta Knight next to Dedede, Falco and Wolf next to Fox, an empty spot next to those two (either for a fourth Star Fox rep or an individual character), three spots next to Zelda for Shiek, Toon Link and Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus and Ridley next to Samus, Palutena next to Pit, three slots in the Pokémon area for Greninja, Jigglypuff and presumably Mewtwo, two slots next to Sonic for Mega Man and another third-party. And the rest are two spread out to really derive anything from them.

Probably fake anyway, but I like how they put some thought into who goes where, at the very least.

Yeah I agree, whoever came up with this fake was very clever when it came to thinking out character positioning. Here's what it would potentially look like with every character we know about (made with that Smash Bros. Roster Maker program):

8d16e56d818708fc6359001ad3e2784e.png

A little bit of estimation went into this because it seems franchises with higher number of participants would be to the left. Because of this we can assume the character next to Yoshi would be Mario-related (probably Wario) and the character next to Diddy would therefore have to be another DK character. Using the same logic, the characters before Fox, Samus, and Marth must be Kirby, Zelda and Pokémon characters respectively, which is why I put those icons there as prediction. The Metroid and Kid Icarus ones are a bit of a stretch I admit, but this fake seems to think a third Metroid rep ending in "Y" is happening and I honestly think there will definitely be a new Kid Icarus rep. Looking at it filled out like this, it's definitely well a well thought-out fake in terms of reasonable positioning.

Some other roster predictions using this as a base under the spoilers (like I said, I got really bored. I downloaded the Roster Maker and just went nuts with it.)

Prediction:

If the roster looked like this and really was as high as 50, these are the characters I think are most likely to appear:

8615083bc53d7b111736f4e2bdd9aacc.png

Gematsu:

Going a little bit further a filled out some franchise-related spaces with popular choices like Dixie and Ridley and filled in the rest with characters from the "Gematsu leak", which I personally still don't buy, but whatever.

7de387ec567ba44c0a671eb5ae2fbf1f.png

Last but not least, my own personal roster wishlist:

4371a80d500675a373f33cb6a023665d.png

Kinda similar. If the roster was 50 characters, then it has room for my wishlist (Palutena, Isaac, Shulk) and then some. I honestly like the idea of a Rhythm Heaven character so I put them on there too. Also yeah Lucina over Chrom baybee.

Boredom is a powerful thing.

Overall 50 leaves a lot of room for all the veterans people might want plus plenty of Newcomers but I still think that amount is.. well it's nuts. 50 is a crazy amount of characters Jesus, and making that for two games would surely have taken even longer. Also the fact that almost no "leaks" are ever real, I personally can't see this roster appearance being real. I just like the way it arranges things. P: Can't wait to see what the actual selection screen looks like at E3. Like NinjaShark said it'll probably just look small rather than having all those locks everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

Would be weird if they started using "locked" icons again.  It was fine in Smash 64 where the four secret characters were neatly to the sides, but here it makes the starting roster look so barren.  I prefer how Melee/Brawl did it where it re-arranges the character select as they're added.

If they wanted to show how many characters remain to be unlocked, they could use the "arrangement" method but have the final number of squares visible from the start, with the unlocked characters all grouped together in the middle for tidiness.

Hmm yeah.

Sorry guys the discrepancies between each screenshot like the idea of "unlocking" just don't really mesh with me.

And teasing that "Y" next to Pit, from the Metroid series, without actually showing it is.. yeah very very hard to believe.

I believe this far less than I did last night which was already not much. Yeah, I'd like to believe it, but when people take photos of a leak that would ~conveniently~ need them to show professional looking official art for a character that isn't revealed yet, and they can't? Hmmmmmmm.

(also, because RIdley's too big and that only appears to be one character slot, which we all know is impossible)

Oh yeah and, if this was real it'd mean no new Zelda characters. Not that I have a problem with that myself, but it's a curiosity.

EDIT: Since I'm bored I'm gonna make a roster prediction or something using those pics as a basis and see how it turns out. And yes, I am still 99% certain that those snapshots are fake, I'm just really bored.

Actually I figured it out last night, apparently there's two versions. One is the "tournament" version and one is just regular play. In the "tournament" version there's a few more characters, and after completing the tournament Ridley unlocks on the list. Again, supposedly. Which I wouldn't be surprised with at all actually.

just compare it to Brawls E for All Demo

hqdefault.jpg

I doubt the Best Buy Demo would randomly arrange characters in a sea of Lock Icons, wich I dont think would even be used to indicate a locked character if we go by Brawl.

plus...why is it always impossible for people who leak those things just to take a Picture from a Normal Angle? Just leave a post it note with a timestamp on it if you wanna look legit.

They're trying to raise a ton of hype. By showing off 50 total characters that will generate a lot of hype.

Yeah the roster is a perfect fit for the Sal Romano leak with maybe one or two extra slots, like so:

ocjelkd.png

Maybe remove one of the Star Fox characters along with Lucas and ROB, though at this point I'm going off of the assumption that no characters are cut unless proven otherwise.

Ike.

IKE.

I like Ike.

Yeah, I'm really glad he's back. I actually had my doubts about him returning, but thankfully, he did. And he looks great. I wonder if his voice will be different, or just a bit deeper than in Brawl.

Yeah the roster is a perfect fit for the Sal Romano leak with maybe one or two extra slots, like so:

ocjelkd.png

Maybe remove one of the Star Fox characters along with Lucas and ROB, though at this point I'm going off of the assumption that no characters are cut unless proven otherwise.

And I still don't buy the Sal Romano leak. I also think its unrealistic to suggest we won't get ANY cuts from Brawl (except Snake and PT, I'd say at least 2-3 more), or that Shulk would be randomly thrown on the left side.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would be weird if they started using "locked" icons again.  It was fine in Smash 64 where the four secret characters were neatly to the sides, but here it makes the starting roster look so barren.  I prefer how Melee/Brawl did it where it re-arranges the character select as they're added.

If they wanted to show how many characters remain to be unlocked, they could use the "arrangement" method but have the final number of squares visible from the start, with the unlocked characters all grouped together in the middle for tidiness.

I dunno, if the lock thing was true it would kinda add to the idea of no characters being secret anymore. It would mean that in the base game, the playable roster is arranged in a set way and only in a set way, meaning they don't move around or shuffle about. Every character would be available out of the box and the lock screen would be used for E3 and Tournaments. I guess we'll find out for certain how the select screen will look in a few weeks though.

Also, I'm going to say right now that those worrying the roster will only be Brawl sized probably don't have to anymore? 30 characters have been revealed, and there are too many importants left for a roster of 35 to be certain. I'd say 45 is actually more likely than even 40 at this point, especially if they want there to be a few more Newcomers.

EDIT: Just tried to come up with Rosters of 35 and 40, there were either barely any Newcomers or crazy omissions of veterans that would seem silly given some of the vets we're already seen, which is why I think the number will be between 40 and 45. Just my onion tho :V I think if it's less than 42 I'll be disappointed but not too surprised.

I dunno, if the lock thing was true it would kinda add to the idea of no characters being secret anymore. It would mean that in the base game, the playable roster is arranged in a set way and only in a set way, meaning they don't move around or shuffle about. Every character would be available out of the box and the lock screen would be used for E3 and Tournaments. I guess we'll find out for certain how the select screen will look in a few weeks though.

Also, I'm going to say right now that those worrying the roster will only be Brawl sized probably don't have to anymore? 30 characters have been revealed, and there are too many importants left for a roster of 35 to be certain. I'd say 45 is actually more likely than even 40 at this point, especially if they want there to be a few more Newcomers.

I've been speculating there could be fifty a while now, and with the fact that we've got 30 already and usually they save some characters for post-release, I'd say fifty is perfectly believable at this point.

I am speculating at least 35, though. And in any case, I don't believe the Sal Romano leak. I don't necessarily believe this one, but I think this one is actually believable, because they're trying to hype the game as much as possible. Showcasing a full roster of 50 off the bat would definitely please a lot of people and raise hype, not to mention the fact that the idea of unlocking Ridley during the demo would please a ton of people and raise even more hype, and that's the whole thing this is based on.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I still don't buy the Sal Romano leak. I also think its unrealistic to suggest we won't get ANY cuts from Brawl (except Snake and PT, I'd say at least 2-3 more), or that Shulk would be randomly thrown on the left side.

There wasn't really anywhere else to put Shulk in the first place so it just made sense to throw him in with the rest of the sword guys. And like I said, I'm going off of the assumption that no character is cut until explicitly proven to be cut, which is the assumption I've been going off of since day one, especially if that character has a unique moveset. Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut due to the decision to remove all transformations and Snake due to only being in Brawl at Kojima's request in the first place. There's no real reason to cut any of the other characters, at least as far as we know.

Honestly, when it comes to roster, I think you guys are misreading what Sakurai is saying for the most part, And I think a roster of 50 is quite likely. What he has been saying is that they are reaching the point of size where there additions and changes to the roster no longer affect the changes of the ways the game plays, and that they want to focus on other aspects to improve and make smash better rather than just adding more and more characters until it just gets boring.

Its not a matter now of having to add characters, its a matter of who he wants to add to improve the game, and there is no limit to how many, simply how much time he decides to implementing other features(which is helped by the later release of the wii-u version)

So the fact is, we just need to wait and see, but I doubt Sakurai will disappoint, and we most likely have 3 months left till the 3DS release, which is plently of time to show off more characters, then there will be hidden characters on top of that, and I wouldn't be surprised if he figured out a way to lock some characters on the 3DS version until the wii-u release either

Honestly, when it comes to roster, I think you guys are misreading what Sakurai is saying for the most part, And I think a roster of 50 is quite likely. What he has been saying is that they are reaching the point of size where there additions and changes to the roster no longer affect the changes of the ways the game plays, and that they want to focus on other aspects to improve and make smash better rather than just adding more and more characters until it just gets boring.

Its not a matter now of having to add characters, its a matter of who he wants to add to improve the game, and there is no limit to how many, simply how much time he decides to implementing other features(which is helped by the later release of the wii-u version)

It doesn't matter if people are misreading what Sakurai said. Having more than Brawl doesn't mean 50 is likely.

Putting characters into a game isn't just a choice, it's also tons and tons time and money. Characters decided to put in a game during pre-planning don't just appear in the game like a drag and drop, fighting game characters especially take unbelievable amounts of time and attention and resources to make. 

Development on this game started about 2 years ago, 50 characters is definitely too many to make in that time. Does anyone know how long Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was in development for? (ages) That game has ~50 characters and added more through legitimate (free) DLC a little bit later It also doesn't have much else in terms of content, it's just got tons and tons of characters.

I'm not saying 50 characters is impossible, but saying it's "likely" is naive and you're setting yourself up for the kind of disappointment so many people last gen set themselves up for when they expected Brawl to have 40-45 characters.

EDIT: Think of it this way, Brawl development began in later 2005 on one system, Wii. It was released 2 years and a bit later and had 35 characters. Sakurai recently stated on Miiverse that Lucario almost didn't make it into Brawl due to time constraints, meaning they already stuffed in as many characters as they could in that time limit. This time, they're making two games. Sure Namco can help, but I think you're underestimating how much work is required here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, you got a point, but I still got hope, and I understand the time constraints, you are talking to the guy who was defending the choice of Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosa in MK8, and I don't even like the characters :P

on another note, every game we seem to get a What in the world character, that seeming comes out of nowhere, so here is my thought, that a couple possible WTF characters from the retro/older department, I would think Takamaru, and a star tropics rep are both possible, as they are both brother francises to LOZ(using its engine), that took different directions, were on the NES, and Japan and NA/EU exclusive respectively

Takamaru also has a minigame in Nintendo Land based off him, and every other IP in Nintendo Land has Super Smash representation, and all but balloon fighters has a character(and technicly you could count villagers use of their iconic balloons, and they do have a stage), so that's another hint

And K.Rool, as he is the iconic DK villain from what could be considered his golden SNES era

I could see 50 characters happening, but that's pretty much the high end of reasonable. If every character from Brawl came back (though I don't expect that to be true), we'd be at 45 characters right now (39 from Brawl, counting transforming characters separately, plus 6 newcomers). I don't expect the cuts to be too severe, since Toon Link and Ike have both made it; Squirtle and Ivysaur probably, maybe Snake...at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if all 3 Star Fox characters returned. And I have to imagine they've still got some surprises in store, so I expect they will hit 45 at least, maybe a few more, with 50 being if they really push themselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

I could see 50 characters happening, but that's pretty much the high end of reasonable. If every character from Brawl came back (though I don't expect that to be true), we'd be at 45 characters right now (39 from Brawl, counting transforming characters separately, plus 6 newcomers). I don't expect the cuts to be too severe, since Toon Link and Ike have both made it; Squirtle and Ivysaur probably, maybe Snake...at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if all 3 Star Fox characters returned. And I have to imagine they've still got some surprises in store, so I expect they will hit 45 at least, maybe a few more, with 50 being if they really push themselves.

Not only Toon Link and Ike, but ZSS and Sheik have been given their own slots as well after deciding to scrap transformations. Not sure what the deal is with Squirtle and Ivysaur, but I guess they just felt the two weren't really big enough to warrant their own slots outside of "the three starters," plus I've heard that Game Freak is pretty strict about Pokémon representation in the game.

So i know we have all this talk of Characters and such going on, but I've been thinking about a different thing entirely. Being Stages.

Now, this is just me here, but if I couldn't have a character as a playable fighter, ( At least unless DLC becomes part of the game, which would be awesome, ) I'd really like one series Represented via a stage here.

Paper Mario.

Now, we'd likely have it be taking place on the battle stage of the Paper Mario TTYD game, with the crowd throwing things at you, scenery falling down in the backround, and curtains ( Which only cover the stage, not the fighters! ) To swoop in and reset the scenery, maybe even change it to different scenes from different games!

And the music! We could get, like, so many good songs and remixes in there! The only hard part would be what music do we even choose, right? X3

• Thumbs Up 1

The only really TRULY questionable return announced to date is Toon Link. Ike was baseless speculation solely because Roy was dropped. I don't really see how Ike being back affects much. Granted, I expected no more than 6 cuts anyway.

Snake, Ivy, and Squirtle for sure. I'm also thinking Lucas and Falco mainly because Custom Movesets basically makes them redundant. Toon Link is at least a bit arguable because he's half Link's height and significantly different in size, speed, and appearance. The final possibility I have is ROB, although at one point I defended him due to being unique, he wasn't really that popular in Brawl and most people hated the addition. I think he's probably got a low priority although I don't necessarily think he'll be cut outright.

Granted, there's always the off unlikely chance Jiggly gets cut. Jiggly is basically in the same boat as ROB; not popular anymore and not many really care about her. I don't think we should think the chances of Jiggly getting cut are nil just because she's one of the original twelve, although I think that does help the case for keeping her around. Jiggly IS relevant due to recency, but just isn't popular anymore. If any of the original twelve are to get cut, though, Jiggly would be it.

So i know we have all this talk of Characters and such going on, but I've been thinking about a different thing entirely. Being Stages.

Now, this is just me here, but if I couldn't have a character as a playable fighter, ( At least unless DLC becomes part of the game, which would be awesome, ) I'd really like one series Represented via a stage here.

Paper Mario.

Now, we'd likely have it be taking place on the battle stage of the Paper Mario TTYD game, with the crowd throwing things at you, scenery falling down in the backround, and curtains ( Which only cover the stage, not the fighters! ) To swoop in and reset the scenery, maybe even change it to different scenes from different games!

And the music! We could get, like, so many good songs and remixes in there! The only hard part would be what music do we even choose, right? X3

A stage is really the only way I can see Paper Mario getting any representation.