Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I agree, but I guess Daisy is a personal peeve of mine that she barely gets any personality anymore, so playing exactly like Peach as a skin would just be the culmination of all that.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jez They never said specific dates, but if this is true, it's still literally on the edge of the end of summer, which is a disappointment. Sure companies may do this a lot, but it doesn't mean it's not any less disheartening. Many people wanted to spend some of their summer trying out the game and playing with friends and family before school and other things restarted.

And new Picture, just showing off our 'Color TV-Game 15!'

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzR7aro8z2EeBR8

Pic of the day. The unexpected Assist Trophy, the TV-Game 15! Color TV-Game 15 is a home entertainment system that was released in 1977 in Japan before the release of Space Invaders. This is the oldest game to join the Smash Bros. series.

Normally, controllers for these types of games had knobs with variable resistors--these allowed the players to control in-game movement by how far they twisted the knobs. The TV-Game 15 used microswitches instead. We've worked a little too hard to reenact the behavior of the original, so the paddles always move in linear paths with the same, consistent speed. We pay attention to such peculiar details!

• Thumbs Up 2

@Jez They never said specific dates, but if this is true, it's still literally on the edge of the end of summer, which is a disappointment. Sure companies may do this a lot, but it doesn't mean it's not any less disheartening. Many people wanted to spend some of their summer trying out the game and playing with friends and family before school and other things restarted.

What do you propose they should have given as the 3DS version's release window instead?  This is a genuine question.  I can see that there's an argument for Q3, but advertisers will try to frame such things in the most positive terms possible.  That's why everything in the world costs X.99, because it makes them sound cheaper even if they're only a penny/cent away from the next larger unit.  "Summer" is the same, because you can rationalise it as "August at the latest," whereas if you said, to use my own example, Q3, that would be "September at the latest."  That sounds a lot later even though there could be as little as a day's difference!  (Note: We're using here the more widespread seasonal definitions whereby they begin on the 1st of a given month rather than about three weeks farther in.)

To repeat the experiment on a different level, what if the 3DS version came out on September 1st rather than August 29th?  (I know it would actually be September 5th to be on a Friday, but bear with me.)  Psychologically there's a pretty huge difference between August and September even though there are just three days between the two dates I suggested.  Most of us live in the northern hemisphere, where August is associated with summer and time off from school and holiday periods.  September is associated with being back to the daily grind.  The very fact that the game comes out on the 29th of August suggests to me that Nintendo and Sakurai had to work hard to shift the game forward from September, because September would've given the wrong impression.  This may sound like a lot of overanalysing, but I am positive that these will have been the considerations that went into both the release date and the announcement of the release window.

The Wii U version is meant to come out in winter 2014, right?  That's December, basically, but calling it "winter 2014" makes it sound like a larger release window.  Realistically it'll probably be out on the 5th or maybe the 12th to give it time to rack up Christmas momentum.  There'll be a lot of rivalry for Christmas purchases and Nintendo won't want anything else to steal Smash Bros.'s thunder.

The Wii U version is meant to come out in winter 2014, right?  That's December, basically, but calling it "winter 2014" makes it sound like a larger release window.  Realistically it'll probably be out on the 5th or maybe the 12th to give it time to rack up Christmas momentum.  There'll be a lot of rivalry for Christmas purchases and Nintendo won't want anything else to steal Smash Bros.'s thunder.

Actualy, for major titles that means November, SM3DW was a 'Winter' release, and it came out in November so it would have the time to gain momentum, and so there wouldn't be any stock shortages, and I see that repeating itself

• Thumbs Up 1

I hear that complaint a lot, but honestly as far as Smash is concerned it doesn't feel like anything new. There are noticable chunks of the cast that already, for better or worse, have little to do with their game counterparts anyway - The Earthbound duo, every Starfox, Ganon and Cpt. Falcon just to name a few. People say there's no precedent for models being pasted over other characters, but even if we were to ignore clones there is a precedent for characters being misrepresented to a fairly equal degree so I'm not really seeing what difference it makes, practically speaking.

The space animals use high-tech gadgets and weapons like lasers, teleporters and reflectors, a perfect representation of a series based around high-tech space combat. Captain Falcon is a lightning-quick, up-close, incredibly flashy and over-the-top combatant, which fits his very super hero-esque design and F-Zero's incredibly hectic gameplay, despite having nothing to do with actually driving a car. Yeah they take some liberties with their abilities, because there's really nothing concrete to take from their games, but they're still very much based what we do know of those characters.

Ness I can kind of agree on, since I guess they wanted to represent the MOTHER franchise as a whole and not just Ness's abilities, but I really wish they had taken the opportunity in Brawl to give him more of his own abilities with Lucas in the game. Ganondorf has absolutely no reason to be a Falcon clone, though, and hopefully this game will finally fix that mistake.

I hear that complaint a lot, but honestly as far as Smash is concerned it doesn't feel like anything new. There are noticable chunks of the cast that already, for better or worse, have little to do with their game counterparts anyway - The Earthbound duo, every Starfox, Ganon and Cpt. Falcon just to name a few. People say there's no precedent for models being pasted over other characters, but even if we were to ignore clones there is a precedent for characters being misrepresented to a fairly equal degree so I'm not really seeing what difference it makes, practically speaking.

Should only dwindle it down to just Ganondorf and Captain Falcon...

Even though when you think about it...a lot of Characters aren't completely based off of their game counter parts. There are moves that come from themselves in those games, moves that come from other characters in those games, moves based on what stuff they do or stuff they find in those "other" games, and moves that are completely new/made up that may or may not come from their established abilities. This is only regarding to their attacks and other abilities.

Some characters would pretty much have to be mis-represented if they want to have an entire moveset, it doesn't matter if it matches their "personality" or their in-game portrayal, because they have nothing else to work with otherwise...

Actualy, for major titles that means November, SM3DW was a 'Winter' release, and it came out in November so it would have the time to gain momentum, and so there wouldn't be any stock shortages, and I see that repeating itself

That's pretty inaccurate as a representation of winter, but sure, I see why they'd do that.  That would distinguish it from "the holiday season," at least.  Looking it up, I see the game came out almost as late as it possibly could in November, though, and I've found a lot of earlier reports that the game was dated for December 2013 originally, so a "winter" designation would have been accurate if they intended it for December but then fought to bring it forward.  Much as they'll do for Smash Bros. if it's possible.

What do you propose they should have given as the 3DS version's release window instead?  This is a genuine question.  I can see that there's an argument for Q3, but advertisers will try to frame such things in the most positive terms possible.  That's why everything in the world costs X.99, because it makes them sound cheaper even if they're only a penny/cent away from the next larger unit.  "Summer" is the same, because you can rationalise it as "August at the latest," whereas if you said, to use my own example, Q3, that would be "September at the latest."  That sounds a lot later even though there could be as little as a day's difference!  (Note: We're using here the more widespread seasonal definitions whereby they begin on the 1st of a given month rather than about three weeks farther in.)

To repeat the experiment on a different level, what if the 3DS version came out on September 1st rather than August 29th?  (I know it would actually be September 5th to be on a Friday, but bear with me.)  Psychologically there's a pretty huge difference between August and September even though there are just three days between the two dates I suggested.  Most of us live in the northern hemisphere, where August is associated with summer and time off from school and holiday periods.  September is associated with being back to the daily grind.  The very fact that the game comes out on the 29th of August suggests to me that Nintendo and Sakurai had to work hard to shift the game forward from September, because September would've given the wrong impression.  This may sound like a lot of overanalysing, but I am positive that these will have been the considerations that went into both the release date and the announcement of the release window.

I understand that all. I know companies do this to put it in a more positive light. However I was talking about how people nevertheless would be disheartend. I would have proposed a late July or early-mid August date. That at least would give people more time to play the game before things start up again.

I don't exactly get what you're trying to argue against with me, since what I said barely relate to this.

The space animals use high-tech gadgets and weapons like lasers, teleporters and reflectors, a perfect representation of a series based around high-tech space combat.

That must be why they can peform lightspeed dashes and become flaming missiles, then. Look, I respect what Sakurai did for Fox, but like it or not most of his traits were invented, not inspired. And what little that does vaugely resemble his own franchise are perhaps the absolute loosest definiton of it possible, amounting to a generic laser gun and a projectile reflector they claim Slippy invented. Even when out-of-Arwing gameplay started becoming standard and not just some incredibly obscure multiplayer unlockable (in which Fox and co more or less slung the entire Landmaster cannon over their shoulder as a bazooka rather than some hand-held blaster), nothing was ever really done to match it to his Smash equivalent when it was most relevant - not even aesthetic liberties like his Assault costume or blaster.

Also I kind of find it hard to believe that Fox can spend most of his games in a cramped up cockpit and somehow turn out to be the nimblest character in most of the Smash games but I guess that's splitting hairs.

Whatever the case this is kind of besides the point - we both agree that Smash characters take liberties, some far more than most. When there's already a precedent for characters having more or less entirely made up movesets or to be so strapped for them that they have to steal moves from other characters, I'm really not seeing why making some characters just a model alt for others is suddenly a big deal. At worst you'd be dealing with a hitbox disrepancy or two, but honestly I think I could put up with that.

Speaking of all that, I wonder if Fox's still going to be using a Landmaster this time around.

Ness I can kind of agree on, since I guess they wanted to represent the MOTHER franchise as a whole and not just Ness's abilities, but I really wish they had taken the opportunity in Brawl to give him more of his own abilities with Lucas in the game.

I kind of blame this on Ness being more or less the White Mage of Earthbound's party. His only real offensive PSI is Rockin off the top of my head (if you take into account the fact that Flash Omega's ability to instakill is purely luck based). That should have at least settled him for a Final Smash, but if you were to take out Thunder and FIre the only things in his own moveset to replace them are either buffs, debuffs and PSI Teleport. Maybe PSI Paralysis as a Side B? I dunno. Maybe customization options could have different PSI abilities to choose from, that would be pretty cool.

OH....MY.....GOD look at the girl with the black eyes!!! She is creepier than the original Villager. lol 

They're all adorable! And scary, in a "I'm cute but going to kick your ass" kind of way. Goooood.

The original will always be the best but my god does that girl one seem good for scaring the opposition.

Oh, ok. I seemed foolish for doubting Sakurai to include the female counterpart to the Villager.

Ah well, at least this post is something new for a change.

This doesn't surprise at all, nice for the confirmation finally, though. It should've been obvious considering the fact that Wii Fit Trainer had the same situation.

So basically male and female costumes with distinct eye styles and sometimes hair styles for the palette swaps?

Good deal.

Damn. And right when we were all arguing about costumes, we get a post about costumes.

Sakurai is reading this forum.

• Thumbs Up 7

(Original is still king)Wow geez I did not expect to see this! Even the models for one of those (I think the male with the pointe hair) seem different. More blocky I think. Anyway, cool! Wonder how the final smash will look for black eyes over there.:P all yellow....

Damn. And right when we were all arguing about costumes, we get a post about costumes.

Sakurai is reading this forum.

Quick. Start arguing about more things. Maybe he'll do more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick. Start arguing about more things. Maybe he'll do more.

Uhh..

UHH...

UHHHHHHH...

RIDLEY ISN'T GOING TO BE IN SMASH, BECAUSE HE'S TOO BIG!

AMIRITE!?

*watches from sidelines*

• Thumbs Up 9

RIDLEY SUCKS AND SHOULDN'T BE IN SMASH BROS.!

This couldn't possibly backfire.

• Thumbs Up 2

Did...Sakurai listen to me? XD I said I would be pissed if he didn't have female Villager skins a few pages back but I'm glad he confirmed they're in.now. Whoo, and they're adorable too!

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the costume variety, so this also means we'll be seeing many different costumes and not just recolours for all the characters?