Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I would say a better alternate costume for kirby would be his sidekick from kirby 3, gloopy or whatever his name is, he has a similair skillset to kirby, primaily missing arms and legs, and having a tounge rather than inhalation

Those differences largely disqualify him for being a reasonable alternate costume; he doesn't have the limbs necessary to replicate most of Kirby's attacks, and a tongue lasso isn't a functional equivalent to Kirby's inhale.

Also I get the feeling that whatever alternate costumes we get, they're going to avoid ones that change characters into entirely different ones. Both of Wario's costumes were still Wario. "Wii Fit Trainer" isn't really a distinct character, more of a nonspecific template (I could see female variants of the AC Villager and Pokemon Trainer for similar reasons). I'd be really surprised to see a Gooey alt for Kirby, or for Falco to be folded up into Fox, etc, where we're dealing with entirely different characters who have their own personalities and abilities that wouldn't be accounted for as costumes.

• Thumbs Up 6

Those differences largely disqualify him for being a reasonable alternate costume; he doesn't have the limbs necessary to replicate most of Kirby's attacks, and a tongue lasso isn't a functional equivalent to Kirby's inhale.

Also I get the feeling that whatever alternate costumes we get, they're going to avoid ones that change characters into entirely different ones. Both of Wario's costumes were still Wario. "Wii Fit Trainer" isn't really a distinct character, more of a nonspecific template (I could see female variants of the AC Villager and Pokemon Trainer for similar reasons). I'd be really surprised to see a Gooey alt for Kirby, or for Falco to be folded up into Fox, etc, where we're dealing with entirely different characters who have their own personalities and abilities that wouldn't be accounted for as costumes.

Exactly. I mean if the character has a similar attack style to the already existing one and is proportionally similar, I see no reason why they couldn't do it. I don't think seeing Roy as a alt for Marth would be that big of a drastic change. 

Indeed alt skins would be awesome!!! heres what I would love to see :

Mario series:

-Mario : Dr. Mario

-Luigi : Dr Luigi would be fitting with the release of Dr Luigi.

-Peach : A proper Daisy outfit would be neat.

-Bowser: Dry Bowser is unlikely but itd be awesome. Cat Bowser could be another one, but honestly hes kinda disturbing-looking.

-Rosalina : Is it a bit too weird that Id like to see her in her child clothes as seen in her own storybook? xD

Zelda series:

-Link : Skyward sword Link ?

-Zelda: Twilight Princess Dark Robes / Puppet Zelda

-Ganondorf : Wind Waker Robes Ganon?

-Toon Link : Village clothing.

Pokemon series:

-Pikachu: Plulse/Minun, or Raichu themed?

Metroid series:

-Samus: Dark Samus

Kirby series:

-Kirby: Bandana Dee

-King DDD : Masked DDD

-MetaKnight : (Assuming he returns) : Galacta Knight ~ ~

Sonic :

-I can see a Shadow-esque skin being one of the possibilities, Sonic Riders Sonic would be easier but Id doubt Sakurai would use it. 

Yeah, I'd say only give costumes to characters that are REALLY well known in both forms.  Wario, obviously already an example.  Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pokémon Trainer would make sense for this.  Mario as Dr. Mario would be a BIT of a stretch but not too much.  Classic Sonic would be neat but not necessary.  Link is already a general approximation of many forms so I don't think OoT Link would be necessary (and his older incarnations are only known iconically by their pretty tiny undetailed sprites).

Dr. Luigi has only appeared in one small downloadable title.  I'd expect nothing beyond a Trophy of him.

I mean I'd love the fanservice of a modelled costume for every character, but I feel some characters would be disrespectful to give them just a moveswap (making a fully modeled/voiced Daisy a clone of Peach is no more offensive than if Rosalina had been a clone of Peach IMO), and generally I'd rather see development time put into references that tons of gamers can appreciate, than ones that only people who played that one game in the series will (such as Mr. L).

I don't see an issue with giving characters completely different ones, so long as they can still stay true to that character being mimicked. Also nothing wrong with other characters just getting clothes swapped for their alternate. Link having a simple village outfit, or Zelda getting Hilda clothes or even Samus getting a Bounty Hunter or Dark Samus costume wouldn't  detract from what made Smash, Smash in my eyes. I don't get why they'd have to be limited to certain characters.

So, Dr. Luigi releases in Japan tomorrow. What are the chances that Sakurai will acknowledge it with a special picture and caption?

The viruses as an assist trophy or a character trophy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see an issue with giving characters completely different ones, so long as they can still stay true to that character being mimicked. Also nothing wrong with other characters just getting clothes swapped for their alternate. Link having a simple village outfit, or Zelda getting Hilda clothes or even Samus getting a Bounty Hunter or Dark Samus costume wouldn't  detract from what made Smash, Smash in my eyes. I don't get why they'd have to be limited to certain characters.

Because modelling takes time and effort and that time would be better spent on awesome stuff rather than obscure references just for the sake of every character having a costume?  I mean if they have a lot of budget/time sure go for it but otherwise I wouldn't care either way.

Would I be the only one here who would buy costume DLc? Because I would.

(I know Sakurai said he's not interested in DLC, but Pikmin wasn't going to have it either. So who knows?)

Would I be the only one here who would buy costume DLc? Because I would.

(I know Sakurai said he's not interested in DLC, but Pikmin wasn't going to have it either. So who knows?)

I wouldn't mind either in all honesty, it would be a great chance to expand the game without having to make a whole separate game for it.

Because modelling takes time and effort and that time would be better spent on awesome stuff rather than obscure references just for the sake of every character having a costume?  I mean if they have a lot of budget/time sure go for it but otherwise I wouldn't care either way.

*implying costumes aren't awesome references*

Seriously though, if its time that's the reason, then I wouldn't mind the idea posted above. Costume DLC. If its put in packs ala MVC3 styled, but much cheaper. That way they can later down the line create more costumes for characters that would probably take a little more time to do compared to others.

I'm sort of surprised that I've never seen Masked Marth being theorized as an alternate to Marth.  I mean spoilers aside this Masked Marth is technically the current public perception of Marth.  Plus it's not as much as a radical change from female to male Wii Fit Trainer.

Oh hey Ashley.

Glad she's in it in some way. Shame she isn't playable though. She's too good for the player's hands.

On the one hand, yay, Ashley's in the game!

On the other hand, crap, Ashley's not playable D:

• Thumbs Up 2

super_smash_bros__wii_u_3ds_alternate_co

It's fan made, but I will say this: If they do alternate costumes, I can see a few of these happening.  Specifically Mario's characters, Toon Link, Fox, Vilager and Sonic.

Samus I would expect to have a dark Samus skin, while Link would have his clothes from the beginning of Twilight Princess or something. Pit technically already had Dark pits palette, and Olimar can get one of the other captains.

Don't know about Megaman....perhaps just him without his hemet? Or a X costume?

I swear, if Sonic gets a Zero Gravity costume, I'm so buying ten copies of this game.

also yus ashley best part of warioware

:< Dammit, I wanted her to be playable. Oh whale. Hopefully SOMEONE from the WarioWare series makes it in as a playable character besides Wario.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tad disappointed that Ashley is not playable. =(

Oh well, good to see she's in the game in some form.

Well Kat and Ana were the Wario Assist trophies last time, so it's nice to see it changed up.I wonder what she does? 

I would say a better alternate costume for kirby would be his sidekick from kirby 3, gloopy or whatever his name is, he has a similair skillset to kirby, primaily missing arms and legs, and having a tounge rather than inhalation

I like how you casually mention that he's missing arms and legs, like that's not a big deal. 

But Alt costumes shouldn't be completely different characters. That's lame. 

• Thumbs Up 1

>Skull Kid, a relatively minor Zelda character that reached fanatic-cult status in respect to wanting to be playable in Smash, is relegated to being an AT.

>Starfy, a relatively minor Nintendo character that reached fanatic-cult status in respect to wanting to be playable in Smash, is relegated to being an AT.

>Ashley, a relatively minor Warioware character that reached fanatic-cult status in respect to wanting to be playable in Smash, is relegated to being an AT.

I see your game, Sakurai, and I'm loving every minute of it. We're gonna see a Hector AT or a Ridley AT next, aren't we? Can we get a Krystal AT? What about a Duck Hunt Dog AT, I'd like that.

Ridley isn't at all comparablee to these characters

>Skull Kid, a relatively minor Zelda character that reached fanatic-cult status in respect to wanting to be playable in Smash, is relegated to being an AT.

>Starfy, a relatively minor Nintendo character that reached fanatic-cult status in respect to wanting to be playable in Smash, is relegated to being an AT.

>Ashley, a relatively minor Warioware character that reached fanatic-cult status in respect to wanting to be playable in Smash, is relegated to being an AT.

I see your game, Sakurai, and I'm loving every minute of it. We're gonna see a Hector AT or a Ridley AT next, aren't we? Can we get a Krystal AT? What about a Duck Hunt Dog AT, I'd like that.

People wanted Starfy to be playable?

I logged on just to say wow Sakurai is such a troll.

He's like HEY LOOK IT'S ASHLEY

and then in a whispered voice

bythewayshe'sonlyanassisttrophy

I love Sakurai.

Also it's a shame she's not playable but I hope another Warioware character like Mona is playable or something. I think it's great that popular character requests who wouldn't make the playable roster are getting the next-best thing.

Gosh I was almost believed she was a character.

I don't think wario would get a second rep, I only see Ashley being one

If there are another rep, its either Mona or Jimmy

Gosh I was almost believed she was a character.

I don't think wario would get a second rep, I only see Ashley being one

If there are another rep, its either Mona or Jimmy

You expect them?

TOO BAD, you will get Waluigi.