Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Oh, he said that? Good. Where can I find the quote?

well one of those would be here

Sakurai also confirmed to me that tripping, a significant and frustrating element from Super Smash Bros. Brawl had been removed.

In that pic with Donkey Kong, Samus, and Zelda; is it me, or did it look like Samus was tripping? Or was that just some damage animation?

I was just thinking about that when I saw it.

I think DK might be using the footstool jump on Samus, maybe there's a new animation for it?

Or like Cola said, could be the banana peel.

There are moves that induce tripping

More likely it's just a footstool jump, though. That mechanic confirmed to be returning I guess

Most characters off the top of my head just kinda crouch or squish down whenever they're footstooled, though - Samus's other leg is behind her in the pic, though, and she's clearly holding her arms out to brace herself. It's a trip.

tumblr_mz6xejciYm1t89eulo1_1280.jpg

There's nobody close enough to do a tripping attack though (doesn't one of Zelda's low moves do that?), and we'd probably see the peel if one of those caused it (peels fly slightly upwards when someone trips on them IIRC). I'm really hoping the developers just invoked a trip deliberately for screenshot purposes, because this looks an awful lot like a random one to me, despite their earlier promise.

Why is everybody so paranoid about tripping returning? They said it's not going to be returning. I see this fucking everywhere and I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think Sakurai is enough of an asshole to outright lie to his fanbase for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 8

For all we know it could be a new footstooled animation for Samus.

The played-for-serious Brawl Bowser had his silly mid-air footstooled animation that resembled Mario's death animation in the old games, I don't see why Samus can't have something equally silly, when she's played to similarly serious levels.

Why is everybody so paranoid about tripping returning? They said it's not going to be returning. I see this fucking everywhere and I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think Sakurai is enough of an asshole to outright lie to his fanbase for no reason.

To be fair, it's happened before (citation needed). 

I'm not bothered by tripping up until the moment I'm about to finish off an opponent that had his guard down, and I whiff it completely out of the blue because of that one random mechanic. To me, that's like the game telling me "fuck you" instead of my opponent doing it through their own actions, and there's nothing more rage inducing than that most of the time.

Most of the time its funny for me, because tripping just has those perfect moments either you trip in front of a an explosion or that key moment that you need to get the fuck out of the area or about to deal the final blow. In the end it's all laughs.  But I rather take them out.

daily.jpg

DDD's Fsmash is just as powerful, and just as terrifying. And now he's got a arrogant, psychotic grin to go along with it.

Is it me or is Dedede smaller in this game? It looks like Marth would overlook him by about a head.

Looks the same to me, but he just more colorful,

And Smash pic coming later? usually its up by now.

Also, I wonder how sonic will look when he gets hit. we haven't actually seen his face when he gets hit

daily.jpg

DDD's Fsmash is just as powerful, and just as terrifying. And now he's got a arrogant, psychotic grin to go along with it.

Is it me or is Dedede smaller in this game? It looks like Marth would overlook him by about a head.

Never mind that, what in the holy Hell is going on with Toon Link? His head looks obscenely big and the proportions seem off, much less the perspective compared to Marth.

Most characters off the top of my head just kinda crouch or squish down whenever they're footstooled, though - Samus's other leg is behind her in the pic, though, and she's clearly holding her arms out to brace herself. It's a trip.

tumblr_mz6xejciYm1t89eulo1_1280.jpg

There's nobody close enough to do a tripping attack though (doesn't one of Zelda's low moves do that?), and we'd probably see the peel if one of those caused it (peels fly slightly upwards when someone trips on them IIRC). I'm really hoping the developers just invoked a trip deliberately for screenshot purposes, because this looks an awful lot like a random one to me, despite their earlier promise.

I think it's more likely an attack paused at an awkward time. 

Pick of the day:

daily.jpg

Sakurai's comment: "Pic of the day. Rosalina and Luma's attacks are very different. This screencap shows Rosalina producing a Saturnian ring for her strong up attack."

Just asking, but does anyone still think Nintendo are gonna give Wonderful 101 any recognition in this game? I'm starting to doubt a character or stage is likely, but assist trophy or just stickers...maybe.

Also saw this 

super_smash_bros__wii_u_3ds_alternate_co

It's fan made, but I will say this: If they do alternate costumes, I can see a few of these happening.  Specifically Mario's characters, Toon Link, Fox, Vilager and Sonic.

Samus I would expect to have a dark Samus skin, while Link would have his clothes from the beginning of Twilight Princess or something. Pit technically already had Dark pits palette, and Olimar can get one of the other captains.

Don't know about Megaman....perhaps just him without his hemet? Or a X costume?

• Thumbs Up 5

Just asking, but does anyone still think Nintendo are gonna give Wonderful 101 any recognition in this game? I'm starting to doubt a character or stage is likely, but assist trophy or just stickers...maybe.

Also saw this 

super_smash_bros__wii_u_3ds_alternate_co

It's fan made, but I will say this: If they do alternate costumes, I can see a few of these happening.  Specifically Mario's characters, Toon Link, Fox, Vilager and Sonic.

Samus I would expect to have a dark Samus skin, while Link would have his clothes from the beginning of Twilight Princess or something. Pit technically already had Dark pits palette, and Olimar can get one of the other captains.

Don't know about Megaman....perhaps just him without his hemet? Or a X costume?

I'm hoping W101 at least gets an assist trophy (or just a trophy in general) that game desperately needs some representation. Also, I hope nintendo at least has 1 alternate costume for each character though I wonder with project m already having some of these I wonder if they would still use them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I'd love to see alternates that are more than just a palette swap. They have done that in the past, but its not been very common and in most cases except Wario they tend to just add some accessories (Pikachu, Jigglypuff). Full alternate costumes would be epic, though, and if WFT does have the male one as an alternate I can definitely see Villager having a female counterpart (which I'd probably play over the male one).

Personally I'd love to see alternates that are more than just a palette swap. They have done that in the past, but its not been very common and in most cases except Wario they tend to just add some accessories (Pikachu, Jigglypuff). Full alternate costumes would be epic, though, and if WFT does have the male one as an alternate I can definitely see Villager having a female counterpart (which I'd probably play over the male one).

Re-reading that, I think I interpreted that differently than what it really meant.:P Sorry! I thought you meant them just switching Mario to Dr. Mario,etc. was bad. Sorry about that!

Either way I'd still say they are limited to what they can do with alts. 

Really I'd say the biggest issue with doing drastic changes for the sake of alternates is proportions. People want Classic Sonic for Sonic? Highly unlikely due to proportion and hit box ratios having to be heavily changes. Demise for Ganondorf? Same issue added onto the fighting style just isn't similar at all. Silver,Shadow and Knuckles, The bounty Hunters, etc. all are similar enough to work due to the this. Proportionally around the same and their fighting styles could copied easily and still seem in character.

Now don't get me wrong, I do agree big alt. costumes would be neat. Marth Getting a Roy alt would be awesome. Plus it could work as they have similar proportions and their style of fighting is similar enough. Pikachu getting Raichu would also be neat. 

So, Dr. Luigi releases in Japan tomorrow. What are the chances that Sakurai will acknowledge it with a special picture and caption?

I would say a better alternate costume for kirby would be his sidekick from kirby 3, gloopy or whatever his name is, he has a similair skillset to kirby, primaily missing arms and legs, and having a tounge rather than inhalation