Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I, unlike many people, prefer to have a serious story in a Sonic game, which is why I loved SA, SA2, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

I liked that Sonic and his friends actually got into trouble and took things seriously.

Example: (10;47, where Eggman trolls Sonic):

I liked how the story was serious in Sonic 06 because it at least tried to rival the stories of SA and SA2 (but failed unfortunately). 

In addition, the story and Shadow and Silver compared to Sonic Only post-2006. I am a big fan of multiple characters as long as they are good. 

Serious story =/= better.

I don't mind serious stories in Sonic games, but only if itself feels like a Sonic game instead of something else. That's what Unleashed did for me. Shadow and '06 miserably failed at doing so, because they both lack the Sonic charm and spirit, tried to make them into something they're not: mature.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 3

With that logic, anyone could say they don't like a game and it would automatically be labeled as shit.

Feel free to enjoy the game, but you've gotta present a more solid argument if you're trying to pursway someone that the game is good.

Unleashed had a serious story? 

Lolwut?

Ironically, I can't even label 06's story as serious. I mean, if you can't TAKE it seriously than how can it be serious at all? If anything 06 is a lackluster comedy.

In a game about a blue hedgehog with arms and legs, who wears trainers and gloves and talks to all of his other animal friends of a similar description. Nah, nah, I'd prefer if it was how it sounds and totally not serious like Colours was, because that's a game I love. I honestly can not merit '06 in any way, shape or form for it's story. Well, really, I can't merit it for anything, except maybe sound track, but there's much better Sonic sound tracks about.

Lolwut?

..Yeah, it's not THAT serious, but was was somewhat serious. Eggman freakin' broke apart a planet, and pretty much unleashed hell upon it with Dark Gaia (or parts of him anyway). I'd call that something serious.

Edited by Felix

Sonic 06 > Colours and Unleashed in dialogue and story.

At least, 06 had some action unlike Sonic's pathetic attempt to be a stand-up comedian post-2007

Ah don't you just love it when Sonic 06 defenders can't defend Sonic 06 on it's own merits without dragging other Sonic titles into it (example "this game (sonic 06) game atleast has a story and it's not childish unlike this game [drags either Unleashed, Colors or Generations here]) Sonic being witty and snarky is part of his character. Take all of that away and he is NOT Sonic to me. He'll be completely boring like he is in Sonic 06. 

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lolwut?

Unleashed is more successful at being serious than '06. No joke.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Lolwut?

Did you miss the "Sonic turns into a monster and must cope with the different form" part (well okay, that was a missed opportunity in actual execution)? Did you miss the whole "Planet is in pieces from being nuked by a laser" (also a missed opportunity unfortunately)? Did you miss the whole "everyone being possessed by manifestations of negative and dark emotions"? Did you miss the whole "Chip lost his memory" part?

Maybe the reason why you think the story isn't serious is because the story knows how to balance the darker moments with lighter moments, thus creating a more varied experience. granted it had execution and pacing issues, but overall the story was fairly solid.

Plus, Sonic Adventure's "serious" story was very similar in terms of balance in tones, so it's not as serious as you make it out to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

SA2 had a serious and excellent story. 

Well, I can't say it was excellent, I can't say it stood out for me. Mediocre for me at best. It really is overrated in my view. 

So Sonic should be an arrogant retard who isn't funny? 

It's much take him being an "arrogant retard that isn't funny" than the stoic and boring character he was in '06.

No. He should be cocky and fun to follow the story of his adventures. Basically, not '06 Sonic.

Edited by Eleventh Doctor

Best. Joke. Ever.

You won't get far on on these forums (or in any debate) with worthless responses that waste people's time.

tumblr_me9l7mfF511rxwarf.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

If being an 'arrogant retard who isn't funny' means Sonic being cocky and fun then yes. That's always been part of his character in almost every game he's in except in Sonic 06. Even SA2 with it's mildly serious story still has Sonic cracking jokes and saying cheesy one-liners. He wasn't horribly boring, incompetent, wooden and devoid of any charm and personality like he was in Sonic 06.

Are you new to this series?

Edited by sonfan1984

At least, in 06 I could take him serious, in Unleashed/Colours I had to mute that bastard.

And Colours/Unleashed Sonic.

In Colours you weren't supposed to take him serious.

At least, in 06 I could take him serious, in Unleashed/Colours I had to mute that bastard.

Really? With the piss-poor animation and derpy expressions, along with banal writing of the in-game cutscenes, I sure couldn't take him seriously.

Someone's getting pissy.

Arrogant? Yes! Sonic is supposed to be cocky, he is supposed to have an attitude.

Retard? First off you're going to get busted for that kind of language. Second, Sonic looks dumber by constantly losing Elise than by anything he does in Unleashed.

Isn't funny? Pff, like anything in '06 is funny (aside from how bad it is).

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it really worth making Sonic absolutely boring and devoid of anything resembling personality just so we can take him seriously?

He's not Batman, he's a fucking cartoon hedgehog!

Is it really worth making Sonic absolutely boring and devoid of anything resembling personality just so we can take him seriously?

He's not Batman, he's a fucking cartoon hedgehog!

I'm pretty sure even Batman has a personality.

I'm pretty sure even Batman has a personality.

I was mostly referring to the "taking seriously" part, not the "personality" part.

Sonic makes jokes while no one cares.

That's how dumb he is.

I care.

God forbid the guy have a little fun with himself instead of being an ineffective hero who doesn't become important to the plot until he dies.

At least, in 06 Sonic trusted his friends, while Modern Sonic treats them like they are inferior peasants. Modern Sonic is a selfish and unfunny hedgehog who has to always take the spotlight. 

...Have you seen how well Sonic treats Tails in Sonic Colors? It seems like they're brothers instead of friends.

Modern Sonic is a selfish and unfunny hedgehog who has to always take the spotlight. 

But... he's the star of the entire series.

EDIT: Sorry, that was uncalled for ;A;

Edited by Starscream

At least, in 06 Sonic trusted his friends, while Modern Sonic treats them like they are inferior peasants. Modern Sonic is a selfish and unfunny hedgehog who has to always take the spotlight. 

06 Sonic acted like a bloody robot. Also Modern Sonic treated Chip pretty well in Unleashed and had some funny moments with him in the secret video clips, and his bromance with Tails in Colors is generally praised.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Retard? First off you're going to get busted for that kind of language.

Especially when it doesn't even apply, I don't remember seeing Sonic hold a bowl of ice cream.