Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I have a surprising tolerance and my first game was heroes. For that matter of the classic my favorite is proably Knuckles chaotix. Anyways, never been a speed runner, usualy play games for the storys. For that matter I have the entire dark forces/jedi knight series and enjoy all of them. Some glitichiness wont drive me crazy

and its like one out 5 sonic games I havent played, may not get perfect completition, but I may still go for this one. Hey the cutscenes are good at least

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 1

Has this been posted yet? It's...amazing. Just amazing. XD

Yes. This old. And this is substandard work, should noted this.

• 4 weeks later...

We all know Sonic 06 was a turd. A steaming pile of shit, you may say. But, I ask, was there ​anything redeeming at all about it? Is there anything you'd want back from this festering pile of utter shit?

One things I'd like to see back is the concept of how it handled playing as the other characters. Not the execution  the concept. As in, how you would switch off to them during the level and they would help Sonic progress? And how they would have a "get to the goal" objective (most of the time), but play different enough from Sonic? I thought that was a cool concept, and I'd like to see it brought back. One thing I'd like to see improved about it though is for when you control the others to make more sense, kinda like when Tails had to get the switch on that high plateau for Sonic. I don't support stuff like switching to Amy for no reason during Silver's Dusty Desert.

Another concept I liked was the concept of the Mach Speed sections. How for a certain section, Sonic really kicked it into gear and went REALLY fast. I think this was a good idea because it could be a way to implement Unleashed-level speeds into a game with a slightly slower, more Adventure-like pace. For example, Sonic's playstyle could a "Classic in 3d" sort of thing with SA1's running speed as his standard run, but on sections where he has a long straightaway, there could be special Blue dashpads or something that trigger Generations-style controls once you hit them and the full-on boost that we know from the Modern games. That way there can be that Unleashed sense of speed without sacrificing the regular playstyle/level design. 

Would you like to see anything back from the devil spawn Sonic 06? Discuss!

There's nothing really redeeming for me when it comes to this game. Everything about it just gives me a thumping headache and reason not to look forward to be cautious of another 'adventure' style sonic game.

I liked Sonic '06.

But I'd totally like to see some of styles of game play.

I mean that as in Adventure wise, like the game had free roam when you weren't playing a level. 

I loved the Mach-Speed areas, sure they were glitchy, but I loved them so. 

I liked how they threw in the idea of having a snow board in snowy levels. Very glitchy, but they had their heads in the right place!

I didn't really like the Gems, I thought most of them were useless. Except the Purple Gem (Scaling). That really helped me in parts of some levels that I would always die in.

--- Like in a certain part of Kingdom Valley (Try to remember) there's be a part of the level where you'd be forced to do a homing attack off 2 robots, then do a Ring Dash. Now, if you'll recall how terrible the Ring Dash was, I'd usually find myself close to the rings or no way to get to the rings, I'd try and press the Ring Dash button, which was also the Bounce Bracelet button while being over a lake...yeah, you know where this is going. But, I always found the purple gem to be useful in situations like that.

I...I have no clue why I brought that up, but it's out there now.

Really, I liked Sonic '06, but there's nothing I can really think of that I haven't mentioned that I'd like to see in future games or anything.

I did like the music, though.

I dunno, the only things about it that I actually liked have been done better in other games.

I guess the concept of Soleanna was pretty nice. If they ever make another "World Adventure" type of game (obviously without the Werehog), I'd like to see it as one of the areas Sonic visits.

I liked the level themes. I mean they were pretty unique then and now. Aquatic Base. Kingdom Valley. Radical Train.

And, music. It had real good stuff there.

That's all I like from that pile of garbage.

One things I'd like to see back is the concept of how it handled playing as the other characters. Not the execution  the concept. As in, how you would switch off to them during the level and they would help Sonic progress?

I don't really like the idea of being interrupted in mid-level to play as someone else. The hard "thunk" of being suddenly thrust into another body doesn't mesh well with a series that's supposed to be about moving quickly and fluidly.

Not a fan of some characters being limited to just small sections of another character's level, either.

Another concept I liked was the concept of the Mach Speed sections. How for a certain section, Sonic really kicked it into gear and went REALLY fast. I think this was a good idea because it could be a way to implement Unleashed-level speeds into a game with a slightly slower, more Adventure-like pace. For example, Sonic's playstyle could a "Classic in 3d" sort of thing with SA1's running speed as his standard run, but on sections where he has a long straightaway, there could be special Blue dashpads or something that trigger Generations-style controls once you hit them and the full-on boost that we know from the Modern games. That way there can be that Unleashed sense of speed without sacrificing the regular playstyle/level design.

But you are sacrificing some of it. You're taking a chunk of level that could've been more of that, and then turning it into...eugh. And I mean, I know this is Sonic, but do we really need that much speed? Aside from the simple thrill of it (which I've found wears off quickly), I don't think it's done any good for the series. If you want to put it in a special stage or something, maybe, but for the actual meat of the game...it just seems like a waste.

Would you like to see anything back from the devil spawn Sonic 06?

nah

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't reach into a pile of shit just for a penny.

Just the way that characters played differently yet similarly to Sonic. But I'd put them as aftergame unlockables if anything so that you could go back into the levels and play them as others.

The entire game. It's without a doubt the best 3D Sonic game to date... wink.png

On a serious note I really enjoyed Silver's sections*, they were some of the only levels I enjoyed and with signifigent work on how he works as a characeter I think it could be good.

Otherwise the whole game is one huge 'nope' for me.

*With the eception of the ball puzzle thing, but overall levels like Crisis city as him were great IMO

Edited by SkyLlama

Definitely Adventure fields. Fortunately Unleashed kept the concept and retooled it some so it wasn't an utter mess.

Seconding the alternate gameplay modes; it's standard platformer recipe to have alternative modes of play alongside the main one. The key is that the running parts should still take up the bulk of the game, with the alternatives to add variety and gameplay time due to difficulty. Having your more gimmicky stages like the Tornado ones is fine if they are sparsely used. So switching to other characters at times works fine if properly implemented (think like how most of Sly Cooper's stages are played as Sly but you've got your stages as Bentley and Murray, or how Daxter sometimes takes over in Jak titles).

I think the ability to readily boost has become seen as a new standard for Sonic, so the Mach sections, while a neat idea, should probably be left out of future titles.

Definitely Adventure fields. Fortunately Unleashed kept the concept and retooled it some so it wasn't an utter mess.

Seconding the alternate gameplay modes; it's standard platformer recipe to have alternative modes of play alongside the main one. The key is that the running parts should still take up the bulk of the game, with the alternatives to add variety and gameplay time due to difficulty. Having your more gimmicky stages like the Tornado ones is fine if they are sparsely used. So switching to other characters at times works fine if properly implemented (think like how most of Sly Cooper's stages are played as Sly but you've got your stages as Bentley and Murray, or how Daxter sometimes takes over in Jak titles).

I think the ability to readily boost has become seen as a new standard for Sonic, so the Mach sections, while a neat idea, should probably be left out of future titles.

So basically you're saying you didn't care for the Adventure Field in Sonic Unleashed?

(If so) I didn't really care for them myself. I think Sonic went too slow, and I felt like sometimes the only way I could get around a little quicker was to constantly spamming the homing attack move. Now, if you had more of a Sonic '06 (as in size) adventure field, and made Sonic faster, then you'd be getting somewhere.

Also, I agree with alternating gameplay. I liked playing as other characters in Sonic '06, although Knuckles was kind of messed up (especially with his gliding), I like how you got to play as everyone, but they didn't go overboard with it. It'd also be nice to be able to (somehow) switch characters while you're in the Adventure field. 

Maybe I wanna be Knuckles and go beat the shit out of innocent people jogging.

Also, I'm not sure I understand your last statement about boosting 100%, but that's probably because I'm heavily drugged with cold medicine and I'm probably going to pass out soon.

But, I think it would be cool to have an adventure like main gameplay, but have Mach-Speed stages, and have the Generations boosting with that. Also, let's chase down Eggman's ship a couple more times, please? (favorite part)

Edited by OmegaXCL

I don't really like the idea of being interrupted in mid-level to play as someone else. The hard "thunk" of being suddenly thrust into another body doesn't mesh well with a series that's supposed to be about moving quickly and fluidly.

Well I never said I supported the time wasting cutscene. Maybe they could follow you through the level ala the classics and seamlessly tag in/out when it gets to their part?

But you are sacrificing some of it. You're taking a chunk of level that could've been more of that, and then turning it into...eugh. And I mean, I know this is Sonic, but do we really need that much speed? Aside from the simple thrill of it (which I've found wears off quickly), I don't think it's done any good for the series. If you want to put it in a special stage or something, maybe, but for the actual meat of the game...it just seems like a waste.

You might be sacrificing a bit of it, but what you get in return is ball-busting speed without compromising the main gameplay. And the speed will be more potent when it's only in certain sections. And..well...a lot of people like the insane speed of Unleashed (including me admittedly), so this is my way of putting it in without harming the main gameplay.

Well I never said I supported the time wasting cutscene. Maybe they could follow you through the level ala the classics and seamlessly tag in/out when it gets to their part?

That's less '06 and more Heroes. And if that's the direction you're taking, I'd rather have the partner be freely available than them sitting around doing jack shit until the level decides it's time to switch who you're controlling.

You might be sacrificing a bit of it, but what you get in return is ball-busting speed without compromising the main gameplay. And the speed will be more potent when it's only in certain sections. And..well...a lot of people like the insane speed of Unleashed (including me admittedly), so this is my way of putting it in without harming the main gameplay.

Except you are harming it by watering it down with cheap gameplay. If you like both then yeah you'd probably be okay with it, but if you don't (like me) it's a lot like if Unleashed made you switch to the werehog in mid-level.

Okay, guys. (And Gals!)

I've been on YouTube searching for a while for a particular clip.

The video I'm about to show you is Alpha footage of Sonic '06. (Alpha comes before Beta!)

Now, as you watch, you'll see a completely different game from what Sonic '05 actually turned out to be.

I guess...this is why I love the game so much, it had such amazing potential, and although it turned out to be one of the worst Video Games in History, I guess you could say this was the first Sonic Game that came out after I became a fan. The game brought Sonic into this current gaming generation, and it was also what brought me in to be such a fan. 

So basically, what I guess I'm trying to say is that Sonic '06 was the gateway to me becoming such a hardcore fan I am today. 

Strange, isn't it?

(Wow, just realized that was a Sonic OVA line...)

Well, here's the video. I think it would be great if we discussed it after you watched. Look forward from hearing from you guys! 

EDIT: Be sure to watch every second of it. Watch how he runs and stuff!

Also! Here's the Beta, which came out a little bit later. See what potential this game had? Amazing.

Edited by OmegaXCL

Anything back from 06? ...well, I guess we already had Crisis City in Generations which I loved... and Silver who was actually fun... err, perhaps multiple characters but almost every other game has done them better anyway... I don't care much for hubs but Unleashed and even Generations did this one better... I'm drawing blanks for things this game did that weren't in other games anyway.

Maybe some of the level concepts like Kingdom Valley and Aquatic Base were pretty cool, but I don't want apes of previous levels anymore after Generations and 4. Sylvania Castle and Sky Sanctuary Generations did feel a bit like Kingdom Valley though.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Okay, guys. (And Gals!)

I've been on YouTube searching for a while for a particular clip.

The video I'm about to show you is Alpha footage of Sonic '06. (Alpha comes before Beta!)

Now, as you watch, you'll see a completely different game from what Sonic '05 actually turned out to be.

I guess...this is why I love the game so much, it had such amazing potential, and although it turned out to be one of the worst Video Games in History, I guess you could say this was the first Sonic Game that came out after I became a fan. The game brought Sonic into this current gaming generation, and it was also what brought me in to be such a fan. 

So basically, what I guess I'm trying to say is that Sonic '06 was the gateway to me becoming such a hardcore fan I am today. 

Strange, isn't it?

(Wow, just realized that was a Sonic OVA line...)

Well, here's the video. I think it would be great if we discussed it after you watched. Look forward from hearing from you guys! 

Still has ugly-as-hell Sonic model.

Still has generic-as-hell Egg Gunners.

Still has that stupid "Sonic starts slow then gets faster the more rings you have" gimmick that was never fully implemented.

Still has slowdown.

But yeah, the beta's often seen as a more complete version than the final.

I guess...this is why I love the game so much, it had such amazing potential

Strange. That's the exact reason I dislike this game so much. Because I was riding the hype train with a conductor's hat and blowing my whistle merrily all the way. I played the demo and convinced myself that "Hey, this ain't so bad." I picked up the game and outright ignored the sales clerk's friendly warning that the game had gotten terrible reviews. I started playing...taking in the loading screens, getting a Game Over in the first mach speed section, finding out the game didn't autosave, and kept going...

Little by little...frustrating death by frustrating death...stupid cutscene by stupid cutscene...my optimism cracked and splintered. My rose-tinted glasses fell away. I stared into the soul-crushing blackness of a rushed, unfinished trainwreck of a game...and then I got a Game Over in the mach speed section of Radical Train.

Still, in the years to come I have learned to appreciate the comedic value of Sonic 06. Those Let's Plays and reviews have given me hours of non-stop laughs because I know. I was there, man. I was THERE!

This game sucks.

Edited by Emmett L. Brown
  • Thumbs Up 4

No this is basically the same, and terrible for the same reasons.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still has ugly-as-hell Sonic model.

Still has generic-as-hell Egg Gunners.

Still has that stupid "Sonic starts slow then gets faster the more rings you have" gimmick that was never fully implemented.

Still has slowdown.

But yeah, the beta's often seen as a more complete version than the final.

Actually, the video is slowed down.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had more fun playing Sonic 06 than Shadow the hedgehog and Sonic Free Riders.

Sonic 06 did make you replay levels but the story made you go to those levels and with good reason, and you had to go through every level about 2-3 times.

What good reasons? The levels where you had to replay as the Amigo characters mostly had no bearing to the story.

Sonic 06 did make you replay levels but the story made you go to those levels and with good reason, and you had to go through every level about 2-3 times.

What's good about replaying the same level multiple times?

And they DIDN'T make you do it for good reasons. Why did we have to replay Wave Ocean as Tails?

Why did we waste time looking for Sonic in Dusty Desert with Silver when he wasn't even there?

What was the purpose of devoting ANOTHER Wave Ocean level to Blaze other than "so people can remember she's in this game"?

Why did we need to play as Silver in Sonic AND Shadow's storylines when the dude had his own storyline?

Edited by Spin Attaxx