Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I see what you mean chrononego, but think about it this way. If being unplayable means unpleasent to play to some extent then what would that makes games that are literally unplayable? Many people who hate the game go on to say how they appreciate the level design and how some characters are well balanced. Many of which are hardcore Sonic Fans. That's beside the topic though... What I've been meaning to point out is that the game still isn't as bad as people say. If you literally sat through the entire game until youve gotten all S ranks, wouldnt that mean that the game is enjoyable, in a sense?

I don't understand whether or not it's a completionist impulse, but you've gotta at least like the game a little to do that much. I adore the game and even I haven't done that. :s

In Sonic Adventure's case, I am quite skeptical about your reasoning...

I could understand if it was just Sonic Adventure, but they released ports to newer and more powerful consoles, changing models and adding extra content instead of fixing alot of the primary glitches. Whether it were their first try or not, wouldn't it at least cross their mind to fix the bugs that people have posted all over the internet? And it isn't to say that Video game Devs don't watch Youtube Videos, because Masahiro Sakurai had taken out Story mode for the next smash brothers because they had uploaded them to the net. See what I mean? If that game gets free from persecution, then I think 06 should deserve some sort of lenience in judging y'know? I mean, Look at the Light Speed attack in Adventure and Adventure 2. That thing is pretty broken... it's still fun to use when it does work right? 

You can't say a game is horrible and play through the whole thing COMPLETELY.

Do you see my point? 

*raises hand*

Why not?

Some people would say that claiming a game to be awful without playing it all the way through is wrong.

Thankfully, I'm not one of those people, but the mindset makes more sense to me than saying that someone must enjoy something if they play it all the way through.  I've watched plenty of terrible movies in my time, but that certainly doesn't mean I've enjoyed all of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some people would say that claiming a game to be awful without playing it all the way through is wrong.

Thankfully, I'm not one of those people, but the mindset makes more sense to me than saying that someone must enjoy something if they play it all the way through.  I've watched plenty of terrible movies in my time, but that certainly doesn't mean I've enjoyed all of them.

I see what you mean, but I didn't mean just completing the Story of the Game, I was referring to completionist-ing it...

How could you stand to beat the entire game and go over it multiple times for an S rank, even though you hate it. I understand playing through all modes and Stories, but not all S ranks... C'mon

That's like saying that the movies you hated you went back to watch it multiple times despite the fact that you hate it. I know I couldn't.

Because Good Sir, it contradicts itself :3

No it doesn't.

I absolutely despise Sonic Chronicles for instance but I completed it a few times over to see absolutely everything the game had to throw at me and be assured that I knew what I was talking about when it came to giving the overall lowdown on it and know the finer details about it so I could back-up my views on why it's such a terrible, terrible game. There's also the little fact that if I spend full RRP on a game, I personally see fit to actually complete it regardless of the quality because might as well get SOME value for money, right? SONIC '06 is the same. I played the entirety of the game, even played the DLC and that mere fact of completion has no relevance to how I view the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

How does it? 

You can finish a game completely and still be rational enough to form a negative opinion of it.

Just because you dislike a game and think it's trash doesn't mean you cannot finish it.

Sonic 06 is a prime example of that.

You have me mistaken I believe.

I was referring to completionist runs. Super Gaming Bros's Johnny claims to despise the game, yet he bought all the DLC and S ranked it all + Sonic's stages. Apparently either the game grew on him, or he's just as idiotic as MariotehPlumber, and I highly doubt that it's the latter, Johnny doesn't seem like the crazy fanboyish type :/

I understand playing through all modes and Stories, but not all S ranks... C'mon

Because some people want their money's worth? Regardless as to how trash it is? 

I have only around 2 or 3 games in my whole collection which I've never bothered to complete because they are so terrible. 

Alpha Protocol

Tom Clancy's Endwar

Am I therefore not allowed to say why? Or unqualified to state why they're so bad? 

If that's the case, why on earth should we have previews for games?

Having a negative opinion on a piece of media doesn't prohibit anyone from continuing to indulge in it for whatever reason. This isn't a contradiction. You're projecting your own experiences on others ("I wouldn't watch a movie I hate multiple times, therefore no one else would") and assuming yours are true. It's nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe because there were trophies/gamers core involved? Because people paid £40/$60 for the game and want to get as much out of it as possible, because maybe JUST maybe they like to complete their games 100%? Or because they are doing it for a YouTube channel like the person you stated earlier?

Heck some people get enjoyment out of trying to use the very prominent glitches to speed run the level, doesn't mean they don't like the game, but they enjoy speed running in general.

And of course some people just so it because they are bored and fancy playing some Sonic, everyone gets urges to play SOMETHING now and again, wouldn't surprise me if people look at their gaming collection and see the game and get this urge to play it

No it doesn't.

I absolutely despise Sonic Chronicles for instance but I completed it a few times over to see absolutely everything the game had to throw at me and be assured that I knew what I was talking about when it came to giving the overall lowdown on it and know the finer details about it so I could back-up my views on why it's such a terrible, terrible game. There's also the little fact that if I spend full RRP on a game, I personally see fit to actually complete it regardless of the quality because might as well get SOME value for money, right? SONIC '06 is the same. I played the entirety of the game, even played the DLC and that mere fact of completion has no relevance to how I view the game.

In a sense it does. 

I actually enjoyed Chronicles alot, mainly for it's Story though. Gameplay and Music were iffy...

Anyway, I don't see why you would buy the DLC for the game if you thought that the actual game was terrible...

I could understand just playing it, but all S ranks? That's a bit much don't ya think? (Not saying that you did it in particular, but you get what I'm saying[right?])

I was referring to completionist runs. Super Gaming Bros's Johnny claims to despise the game, yet he bought all the DLC and S ranked it all + Sonic's stages.

That is a youtube show, not real life. 

I'd wager he got that DLC because he knew he'd get youtube hits which in time would pay for the DLC.

Good example of this would be Game Grumps' Sonic 06 run, do you think they enjoyed that game? Nope, clearly not, so why did it last to nearly 100 parts when most of their games barely break a 3rd show?

It was getting the hits because people wanted to see them suffer and they knew it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, it is simply false. There are reasons aside from enjoying a game to keep playing it; finishing a game, whether it's just until credits or all the way to 100%, does not require you to like it, and does not mean the game is actually good. I replayed Shadow the Hedgehog, a game I fucking loathe, and even got all A-ranks, just to test a theory. My curiosity compelled me to play through despite my disgust with the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having a negative opinion on a piece of media doesn't prohibit anyone from continuing to indulge in it for whatever reason. This isn't a contradiction. You're projecting your own experiences on others ("I wouldn't watch a movie I hate multiple times, therefore no one else would") and assuming yours are true. It's nonsense.

I can see what you mean. That is my opinion, and probably my opinion alone, so thats' given. :P

Still... Can't see why anyone would further "torture" themselves with this game. I mean, to do that you'd have to have some sort of curiosity for it, or a seeking to what else it had in store right? 

I'm just going by the Logic of what many people have stated frequently. (It's an AWFUL AWFUL quality game, It's a bad game, it sucks ETC) It can't be that bad if people continue to play it right? That may still be my opinion, and mine alone, but I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say about it.

You can't say a game is horrible and play through the whole thing COMPLETELY.

Pokecapn, Clement, Brainscratchcomms, myself, videogame critics, people who play a game hoping for the best but come out finishing it deeply disappointed or worst. etc beg to differ.

Do you see my point? 

No, but I see the fallacies in that illogical statement of your's.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bile fascination is another decent (And marginally hilarious in a depressing kind of way I might add) reason for seeing a terrible game through to completion. It's almost akin to witnessing a train crash and having a propensity for a morbid kind of curiosity; Perhaps your better instincts are telling you not to go and look at the wreck but a little part of you wants to see that horrible display in it's entirety regardless.

An instance with SONIC '06 that made me curious about the game even more was the asinine missions. When you've been presented with missions as hilariously awkward as "Rescue Pele the beloved dog!" and "Race Sonic Man!", I wanted to see more so I could be amused further. '06 is one of those games that you can't completely appreciate the thorough badness for yourself in so, so many areas unless you've completed it.

Still... Can't see why anyone would further "torture" themselves with this game. I mean, to do that you'd have to have some sort of curiosity for it, or a seeking to what else it had in store right?

Maybe, but having that curiosity doesn't guarantee that there's anything worthwhile to find in it.

If you walk 1000 miles through the desert searching for treasure and find none, maybe you'll still be desperate or optimistic enough to walk another 500 miles. But that doesn't mean you'll finish with anything more than sand and scorpions to show for it.

I think I see...

Whether or not it was for their kicks or because they had this innergoal to accomplish, I can say that it isn't exclusive to people who like it. This still doesn't prove to me that the game is as awful as people claim though. Using words like "unplayable" to describe it, makes it seem as though no one could enjoy the game, like Hogfather said:

I have only around 2 or 3 games in my whole collection which I've never bothered to complete because they are so terrible. 

Alpha Protocol

Tom Clancy's Endwar

He won't even touch those games, if it were nearly as bad as people say it would literally be impossible to do such things. 

That is however just him, not everyone in the world :lol:

That is a youtube show, not real life. 

I'd wager he got that DLC because he knew he'd get youtube hits which in time would pay for the DLC.

Good example of this would be Game Grumps' Sonic 06 run, do you think they enjoyed that game? Nope, clearly not, so why did it last to nearly 100 parts when most of their games barely break a 3rd show?

It was getting the hits because people wanted to see them suffer and they knew it.

And What about people who don't have many subscribers like Mariotehplumber or other various obscure Youtube users? 

They've completed games they loath, but to prove what?

Dude, it is simply false. There are reasons aside from enjoying a game to keep playing it; finishing a game, whether it's just until credits or all the way to 100%, does not require you to like it, and does not mean the game is actually good. I replayed Shadow the Hedgehog, a game I fucking loathe, and even got all A-ranks, just to test a theory. My curiosity compelled me to play through despite my disgust with the game.

What theory were you testing?

I too have some curiosity, specifiically when it comes to Sonic 06, as to how people have managed to bare through getting S-ranks in everthing. Not the main stages, but stuff like the town missions, some of which look tortuous to complete due to the loading times piling up or just sheer monotonus gameplay (like hide and seek, or worse the MATH challenges).

It can't be that bad if people continue to play it right? 

The problem with your point is that it's a complete fallacy.  Do you define a couple's marriage based on the fact that they're still together or how they interact with each other?  Do you define the quality of a city by how many people visit annually or by what actually brings them to the city each year?  If you chose the former on either one of those, you're absolutely wrong.

I bought Sonic 06 because I wanted to see if it was that bad. In my opinion, it wasn't unplayable, and I had a good time with it in spite of the numerous flaws in design (and also because I knew how to avoid the ball puzzle).

But that doesn't make it a good game.

Maybe, but having that curiosity doesn't guarantee that there's anything worthwhile to find in it.

If you walk 1000 miles through the desert searching for treasure and find none, maybe you'll still be desperate or optimistic enough to walk another 500 miles. But that doesn't mean you'll finish with anything more than sand and scorpions to show for it.

And it doesn't neccesarily mean that you won't either. :P

I do see what you guys are saying though.

But honestly, people have picked this bone dry, if they were curious all they had to do was search a video or a video game site for it.

Using your desert analogy, it's more or less the same thing with a map or a guide to help you along the way, or rather a report on the treasure. You aren't sure if they have left anything worthwhile yet you still take the chance even though people have already discovered it.

Using words like "unplayable" to describe it, makes it seem as though no one could enjoy the game, like Hogfather said:

He won't even touch those games, if it were nearly as bad as people say it would literally be impossible to do such things. 

That is however just him, not everyone in the world laugh.png

I suggest that if you are going to attempt to manipulate my argument to your own you do a far better job than that effort.

I said... 

Bothered to complete was the clue. 

I am perfectly capable of completing them, I might even one day go back to Alpha Protocol since it is an achievable platinum. On both of them I have played a rather substantial chunk of them. 

However I have not bothered to complete them because they are not very good and I have far better games to use my free time with. 

Heres another example... Final Fantasy 13. That game is trash. 

I got upto 98% completion on it... when my PS3 got a YLOD. This was prior to the cloud saving...

A year later I played through that game again on a fresh save file because I wanted that platinum.

Was that game shit. Yes. Was that game shit on the second attempt. Yes. 

Did I enjoy it. Not really. 

Would I recommend it. No.

So why did you play it? Because I wanted to beat it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can see what you mean. That is my opinion, and probably my opinion alone, so thats' given. tongue.png

I'm just going by the Logic of what many people have stated frequently. (It's an AWFUL AWFUL quality game, It's a bad game, it sucks ETC) It can't be that bad if people continue to play it right? That may still be my opinion, and mine alone, but I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say about it.

The length of time a game is played has no direct relationship with how good it is to the individual playing it. People play different games for many different reasons, thus you cannot force anyone's opinion into boxes based only on this. Some people play shitty games to see what all the fuss is about. Some people play shitty games as a joke. Some people play shitty games for entertainment of others and income. Some people complete shitty games in their entirety because the act of completing the game is more of a reward than suffering through the shittiness of the game is a punishment. The only way you're going to know why someone would play a game they say is bad is to actually listen to them rather than jump to conclusions based on random criteria you plucked from thin air.