Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I too have some curiosity, specifiically when it comes to Sonic 06, as to how people have managed to bare through getting S-ranks in everthing. Not the main stages, but stuff like the town missions, some of which look tortuous to complete due to the loading times piling up or just sheer monotonus gameplay (like hide and seek, or worse the MATH challenges).

IKR? I hated those town missions, spare a few. The Math ones were the most agonizing angry.png

Yet, I was still capable of finding gold in this coal mine.biggrin.png

The problem with your point is that it's a complete fallacy.  Do you define a couple's marriage based on the fact that they're still together or how they interact with each other?  Do you define the quality of a city by how many people visit annually or by what actually brings them to the city each year?  If you chose the former on either one of those, you're absolutely wrong.

Yes it is a fallacy, but it was also a question. I'm glad you went indepth about that. It makes much more sense now.

I can still say, however, that the game isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I bought Sonic 06 because I wanted to see if it was that bad. In my opinion, it wasn't unplayable, and I had a good time with it in spite of the numerous flaws in design (and also because I knew how to avoid the ball puzzle).

But that doesn't make it a good game.

And it also doesn't make it a bad game either, but these are both our own opinons.

But honestly, people have picked this bone dry, if they were curious all they had to do was search a video or a video game site for it.

Using your desert analogy, it's more or less the same thing with a map or a guide to help you along the way, or rather a report on the treasure. You aren't sure if they have left anything worthwhile yet you still take the chance even though people have already discovered it.

You're disrespecting the sort of people who either don't want to spoil the game via spoilers, have the time to spare, and/or just want to take the helm and try the game out for themselves. It's called forming your own opinion from your own experiences. Look into it.

And don't try to lump the entirety of people who played the whole game through to the end as "hypocrites" or people who liked it truthfully, Folks tend to get rather annoyed when they're treated like sheep in such a rude, generalizing manner.

What theory were you testing?

If you can unlock Expert Mode before unlocking the Last Story.

You can, for the record.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hu-What? No. Not in my eyes at least. I wanna see that dang treasure with MY eyes.

If I despise say mushrooms, and I'm starving with nothing to eat and no money and a slice of pizza that has mushrooms baked into the crust (no picking it out) would I eat it? Yeah. I'm starving! Sonic 06 might not be comparable to this but the whole if people don't like it why play it, is definitely comparable.

I played Sonic 06 cause I got it for Christmas. I was quite impartial to it as I didn't use the internet back then so I had no clue how people were judging it, I also didn't run into a single glitch besides maybe wall hump. I still didn't much enjoy it. But I wanted to finish it to see the rest. The rest of the story the cutscenes the super sonic. Doesn't mean I can't NOT like it. I just wanted to see it through, I mean if its one out of three of my presents I'm gonna finish it because I wanna use my three presents to the fullest of their potential.

My real only gripe in this mass conversation is how your denying something that is clearly true. We all may not wanna be unhealthy but that doesn't mean we're not going to enjoy our share of fatty foods and such. Hopefully these analogies get through that thinking cap of yours because this issomething that shouldn't have even been argued about. How can you not have the right to dislike something just because you tried it? Pfft beats me..

I suggest that if you are going to attempt to manipulate my argument to your own you do a far better job than that effort.

I said... 

I have only around 2 or 3 games in my whole collection which I've never bothered to complete because they are so terrible.

Bothered to complete was the clue. 

I am perfectly capable of completing them, I might even one day go back to Alpha Protocol since it is an achievable platinum. On both of them I have played a rather substantial chunk of them. 

However I have not bothered to complete them because they are not very good and I have far better games to use my free time with. 

Heres another example... Final Fantasy 13. That game is trash. 

I got upto 98% completion on it... when my PS3 got a YLOD. This was prior to the cloud saving...

A year later I played through that game again on a fresh save file because I wanted that platinum.

Was that game shit. Yes. Was that game shit on the second attempt. Yes. 

Did I enjoy it. Not really. 

Would I recommend it. No.

So why did you play it? Because I wanted to beat it.

Hehe... Totally expected you to say that.

"However I have not bothered to complete them because they are not very good and I have far better games to use my free time with. 

Exactly, Not very good and you have better games to play. My point precisely. Whether or not they are considered bad games to players, people have the option of playing different games that they think are far better. It's only purpose is to prove something to yourself or not, you still have the choice to play those other games instead of wasting your time with this game that's so terrible. Right?

I can fully understand the grasp in which people are getting from this "play a game you hate" thing. 

I've done almost the same for Sonic Colors, a game that bites bubbles... HARD. I didn't WANT to play through all it had to offer, the game pretty much forced me to with it's unnecessary padding. I wouldn't dare pick it up again since I know that Super Sonic is utterly useless since you have to wait in several areas draining you energy, so I didn't bother to collect all the Red Star Rings. I could care less about the grades I got in the stages as well, but to be honest, could you blame me? I hated the game, I saw no reason to continue, so I didn't. Many obscurities however lie beneath 06's shadow, but that doesn't really excuse the fact that they went through the trouble of playing it again instead of watching a playthrough or something wacko.png

You're disrespecting the sort of people who either don't want to spoil the game via spoilers, have the time to spare, and/or just want to take the helm and try the game out for themselves. It's called forming your own opinion from your own experiences. Look into it.

Oh, trust me, I have. Sonic Colors being the bane of my existence...

Folks tend to get rather annoyed when they're treated like sheep in such a rude, generalizing manner.

Now you see how I feel dry.png

Hu-What? No. Not in my eyes at least. I wanna see that dang treasure with MY eyes.

If I despise say mushrooms, and I'm starving with nothing to eat and no money and a slice of pizza that has mushrooms baked into the crust (no picking it out) would I eat it? Yeah. I'm starving! Sonic 06 might not be comparable to this but the whole if people don't like it why play it, is definitely comparable.

I played Sonic 06 cause I got it for Christmas. I was quite impartial to it as I didn't use the internet back then so I had no clue how people were judging it, I also didn't run into a single glitch besides maybe wall hump. I still didn't much enjoy it. But I wanted to finish it to see the rest. The rest of the story the cutscenes the super sonic. Doesn't mean I can't NOT like it. I just wanted to see it through, I mean if its one out of three of my presents I'm gonna finish it because I wanna use my three presents to the fullest of their potential.

My real only gripe in this mass conversation is how your denying something that is clearly true. We all may not wanna be unhealthy but that doesn't mean we're not going to enjoy our share of fatty foods and such. Hopefully these analogies get through that thinking cap of yours because this issomething that shouldn't have even been argued about. How can you not have the right to dislike something just because you tried it? Pfft beats me..

So, it's sheer and blindsided determination that focuses you guys? Weird... In my case it wouldn't be worth the effort.

That still doesn't negate that the game is quite capable of being played through, contradicting the "buggy unplayable uncompletable mess" statements.

Thank you fer helping me prove such a statement incorrect biggrin.png

Hehe... Totally expected you to say that.

"However I have not bothered to complete them because they are not very good and I have far better games to use my free time with. 

Exactly, Not very good and you have better games to play. My point precisely. Whether or not they are considered bad games to players, people have the option of playing different games that they think are far better. It's only purpose is to prove something to yourself or not, you still have the choice to play those other games instead of wasting your time with this game that's so terrible. Right?

It doesn't prove any point since you're constantly changing whatever point you are trying to make. 

First of all it's "Well you can't say something is terrible since you beat the game"

Now it's, well people stop playing those games because they have better games to play.

Which completely contradicts this post you made less than a few hours ago.

You can't say a game is horrible and play through the whole thing COMPLETELY.

So according to you. On the one hand, I can't say a game is horrible because I beat it completely. On the other, if I stop playing the game because it's terrible, then go back and finish it... it's no longer terrible?

Have you even considered the possibility that someone may not have any other games to play aside from one they dislike? It does happen.

Your whole argument so far has basically been "Well you must have found some enjoyment otherwise you wouldn't have beaten it completely." That is very weak reasoning and a conclusion to draw since you are drawing a huge blanket of assumptions. Doubly so since your examples to back it up are youtube personalities who are only doing it due to the fact that they're 'putting on a show.'

Okay, now I'm positive this guy is trolling. I would support a claim of willful ignorance at the beginning, but this sheer focused effort towards repeating already-rebuffed arguments and cherry-picking sentences out of context for use as evidence of contradictions smells of something else.

At least a lot of the posts the trolling generated were genuinely funny and quite well written.

• Thumbs Up 2

No one said uncompletable now. Don't stick words in our keyboards. I didn't see a single claim saying uncompletable.

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically...

Okay, now I'm positive this guy is trolling. I would support a claim of willful ignorance at the beginning, but this sheer focused effort towards repeating already-rebuffed arguments and cherry-picking sentences out of context for use as evidence of contradictions smells of something else.

At least a lot of the posts the trolling generated were genuinely funny and quite well written.

Well at first I wasn't but Now I kinda am... Just to kinda show one a certain statement to be incorrect, Won't happen again though.

I don't even know why I brought it up in the first place to be honest.

But y'know what? That "cherry-picking sentences out of context for use as evidence of contradictions" is exactly what several other members have done as well.

I don't care if you think I'm lame though, that's just something your going to have to deal with if you see my posts :P

It doesn't prove any point since you're constantly changing whatever point you are trying to make. 

First of all it's "Well you can't say something is terrible since you beat the game"

Now it's, well people stop playing those games because they have better games to play.

Which completely contradicts this post you made less than a few hours ago.

So according to you. On the one hand, I can't say a game is horrible because I beat it completely. On the other, if I stop playing the game because it's terrible, then go back and finish it... it's no longer terrible?

Have you even considered the possibility that someone may not have any other games to play aside from one they dislike? It does happen.

Your whole argument so far has basically been "Well you must have found some enjoyment otherwise you wouldn't have beaten it completely." That is very weak reasoning and a conclusion to draw since you are drawing a huge blanket of assumptions. Doubly so since your examples to back it up are youtube personalities who are only doing it due to the fact that they're 'putting on a show.'

I didn't say "beat the game" I referred to collecting all medals and 100% completion with all S ranks, that isn't simply beating it, but we've already moved on from this so...

To be Honest, I just wanted to make sure that people were sure that the game is in every right capable of being completed, contradicting the "unplayable" motif that the internet struts about wearing on it's sleeve.

That still doesn't negate that the game is quite capable of being played through, contradicting the "buggy unplayable uncompletable mess" statements.

Thank you for helping me prove such a statement incorrect biggrin.png

It did end up convoluted, and most of it was rather pointless, but y'know. Different Strokes. 

The best thing about Sonic 2006 was the mach stages and the mach gem. I love the sense of speed.

Honestly, and I don't want to come across as being a Debbie Downer (there's more than enough of that here already), I hated both the stages and that particular Gem. This game just wasn't built to handle going fast all that well. The other gems are alright, though -- I find myself getting some serious mileage out of the Yellow Gem in particular.

• Thumbs Up 2

C'mon guys

purple gem master race tongue.png

I still think it'd be the best gem even if they bothered to code its limits properly.

The gems always epitomized to me the asinine decisions made regarding moves next to the Amigo characters abilities and the perplexing removal of the spin attack's functionality as an...attack.

Red Gem has some use regarding getting S ranks.

Blue Gem makes Sonic even more uncontrollable and is difficult to use in a game that isn't designed around speed.

Green Gem has extremely limited range and is very weak, making it near-completely useless.

Yellow Gem makes a barrier that has limited use considering it's magnetism has little range.

White Gem...has no functionality whatsoever from what I've played and actually makes you easier to hit when you're stationary in the air.

Sky Blue Gem only excels at showing how buggy the game is and has very little actual use.

Purple Gem is clunky and still has very limited uses despite what it can do.

Thinking it over, I think the Spin Attack not being an attack was less a removal and more it just not being programmed. Like the dev team thought "Well, everyone's gonna use the Homing Attack anyway so it won't matter if we don't program in the regular jump as an attack. Helps to get the game done on time", or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking it over, I think the Spin Attack not being an attack was less a removal and more it just not being programmed. Like the dev team thought "Well, everyone's gonna use the Homing Attack anyway so it won't matter if we don't program in the regular jump as an attack. Helps to get the game done on time", or something.

That was always my thought too, I mean its not like the Story Book games where it was intentionally not programmed into the game because every single 3D Sonic game including Shadow the Hedgehog keeps the Spin Attack as an actual attack no matter how useless it may be.

The Strategy Guide for Sonic '06 says that the Blue Gem was supposed to cause a Sonic Boom that destroyed all surrounding enemies when Sonic runs at Mach Speed.

The Strategy Guide for Sonic '06 says that the Blue Gem was supposed to cause a Sonic Boom that destroyed all surrounding enemies when Sonic runs at Mach Speed.

Ah, so it was supposed to be akin to Sonic Rush and Sonic Unleashed Boost.

Also, not to break the topic, but I feel as if everyone who hates this game should see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbx0VaIBF2M&list=FLe4CydDq9jevr15ZC3XEz9g&hd=1

And Yes, this is possible with every occurance of the "stuck forever" glitch, not to mention that this glitch happens RARELY.

Ignore the premise of the video though... it's argumentation basically.

...so basically, we have to use a glitch to get out of what is, for all intents and purposes, a poorly thought out attack?

This game, my friends. Just when we think we saw all it had to throw at us, it comes up with a new shit trick up it's sleeve to surprise us.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thinks its nice to see someone else who likes the game to.

Same Here

...so basically, we have to use a glitch to get out of what is, for all intents and purposes, a poorly thought out attack?

This game, my friends. Just when we think we saw all it had to throw at us, it comes up with a new shit trick up it's sleeve to surprise us.

How exactly is it a poorly thought out attack? Your using a glitch to get out of a glitch. At least it's actually escapable, that much cannot be said for this... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNTJImzvMM&hd=1

unless you reset the level, just like how you can do for Silver's fight. That is to say, this could HARM people, I don't recall 06 ever doing that tongue.png

Alot of our Favorite Sonic games (such as Adventure and Adventure 2, even with all it's reboots) have pretty strange glitches... Like Dat Light Speed Attack...

Either Way, The Silver Battle Glitch can be avoided completely if the player would take hints from the game. You CLEARLY cannot attack him head on, so why charge him instantly? All you have to do is rotate the camera to keep an eye on him, and it's not to say that he's hard to keep track of, he's the tallest character on the screen besides Sonic. Trial and Error may not be the best method for battle, (Sonic vs Shadow Ark battle) but it can still teach the player and get the job done.

How exactly is it a poorly thought out attack? Your using a glitch to get out of a glitch.

How is it anything but a poorly thought out attack?

He's grabbing you (preventing you from moving), flinging you and then, without any delay to allow yourself to recover, picking you up again (which again prevents you from moving) and then throwing you again. Should he do this to you in such a way that lets you continuously pick up a ring and lose it, you are effectively stuck.

That is cheap, plain and simple, and the fact that Silver's only the second boss in the game further shows this. What sane and/or competent mind gives the second boss in a game an attack THIS broken?

And really, the fact that you even need to exploit a glitch, an error in programming that was never intended by the developers to be in the game, to get out of that attack... that just speaks volumes for how badly designed that attack is.

And by the way? That attack was intentional. The lack of delay to give you recovery time is NOT in any way, shape or form, a glitch. It was planned. It was intentional. It was designed that way. Glitches are never intentional, never planned, never designed.

Same Here

How exactly is it a poorly thought out attack? Your using a glitch to get out of a glitch. At least it's actually escapable, that much cannot be said for this... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNTJImzvMM&hd=1

unless you reset the level, just like how you can do for Silver's fight. That is to say, this could HARM people, I don't recall 06 ever doing that tongue.png

Alot of our Favorite Sonic games (such as Adventure and Adventure 2, even with all it's reboots) have pretty strange glitches... Like Dat Light Speed Attack...

Just about most of the glitches in Sonic 2006 happen rarely...but depending on how good the player is, its all ratio as to which glitches or bugs happen devoid of the player's skill.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are aged games, glitches are bound to be had no matter how good the game is. The Light Speed Attack orbiting around "enemies" is really depending on the enemy...the flying robots that can make themselves invincible and electric to avoid being attacked...the light speed attack can't hit the enemy because even though its homing on the enemy, the enemy is invincible and it can't do anything until the electric barrier making it invincible wears off. Orbiting around enemies is more of a bug than a glitch, because its finicky programming that if you specifically homing attack at the wrong angle or hold any direction, you just do that because the attack is also dependent on the direction you hold.

How is it anything but a poorly thought out attack?

He's grabbing you (preventing you from moving), flinging you and then, without any delay to allow yourself to recover, picking you up again (which again prevents you from moving) and then throwing you again. Should he do this to you in such a way that lets you continuously pick up a ring and lose it, you are effectively stuck.

That is cheap, plain and simple, and the fact that Silver's only the second boss in the game further shows this. What sane and/or competent mind gives the second boss in a game an attack THIS broken?

And really, the fact that you even need to exploit a glitch, an error in programming that was never intended by the developers to be in the game, to get out of that attack... that just speaks volumes for how badly designed that attack is.

Even if it is the Second boss, the game tells you, QUITE CLEARLY, that you cannot charge him, so why even go close? 

Whether or not it was too difficult for people to pick up, or whether or not they hate this battle, I personally think that the ramp in rival difficulty was good compared to Heroes, Adventure 2, and Adventure. Heroes, was just as cheap in fact. Not to mention how bad the attack A.I. are. you can sit on top of the boxes in the second battle to avoid attack and as cream you instantly win(when solo). They're either SUPER cheap, or SUPER stupid for battle A.I. 06 did this justice, by adding CLEAR weaknesses in the boss.