Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Buddy-boy, calling for a thread to be locked just because the majority of people who discuss it here don't really like the game is lame. And quite bluntly, it's downright unfair to people who want to discuss it, no matter what their opinion of it is. Let them be.

I realize this... but at this point is there anything more we can say? Really. I've shown the good in it, many have shown the bad in it, all due to our own preferences. I don't really see what more this thread could be used for...

I highly doubt people are going to start discussing things again, because it seems as though people act as if every game is superior to it in every right, when that is incorrect. It will forever loop as long as there is someone will to defend and detest it. Seriously though. What do you expect to come out of this thread after this?

I wish to freely discuss this game without the need for anyone to say, "this game sucks". Does it really matter if at the core anyone can like it? I really want to discuss certain gameplay mechanics and such that has been introduced into the game, but so many people are just Shoving away from them without even considering again that this is a discussion thread. Hence me wanting to have a discussion? Do you honestly think that I would want so many people to hate me because of how I fell about a game? Not by a long shot, But is that going to keep me from defending it? Still no. Why can't we just discuss it like any old topic WITHOUT bringing up the fact that you don't like it? What's so wrong with that?

Ah, Good ol' 06. Before even playing the game myself, I have heard and seen some bad reception this game got and was even considered to be one of the worst games of all time. And when I finally, played and 100%'ed the game a year ago, what can I say about the game?

I say it's not that bad. Before anyone says anything, yeah it is a bad game but I found it rather tolerable, atleast for Sonic's levels. For Sonic's levels, there levels that have some speed, platforming and some combat that is meshed fairly well and I do have a nice kick out of them. But for Shadow's and Silver's, then that's when the game become more combat-based than speed or platforming, which can cause the levels to drag out a lot more than it should. This is one of the problems I have with the game, Shadow and Silver's levels are not very "Sonicky" and they drag out for too long. The bosses were not very interesting to say the least and the character battles are slighty improved versions of the Adventure character battles but that's not saying much.

And that story though (XD). The story itself was decent but it does have a lot of holes to it and the writers didn't put as much effort into it, which should be a given since the game wasn't fully ready. To be honest, Sonic is more or less still himself at certain points, he is still cocky, confident and can be rather influential to others. Elise was not written very well, for the most part of the game, she doesn't do anything except that one moment she surrenders herself to Gold Nip-err, I mean, Eggman. To be honest, Elise could work out more as a friend than an actual lover for Sonic. I mean, the woman that Sonic falls in love with is a girl that he only met for a few days rather than the pink hedgehog that he knows for a rather long time, let's be real with this atleast. For Shadow, he's alright still showing how awesome he is and it is nice that Shadow can always trust on Omega and Rouge. Mephiles was an alright villain but due to writers not explaining much, he does tend to look like an idiot at times. Silver was an pretty good character, a guy that is willing to do anything to fix his future and it is nice to see Silver question his motives, moments like that are nice IMO. Blaze was unneeded IMO and so was Knuckles and Eggman, to an extent. Tails does what sidekicks does best, always being there for the hero. There were a few scenes that made me irk a bit like the kiss scene and that one selifish moment of Elise. But at the end, the story was alright but the writers should have put more thought into it.

At the end, I found this game to be alright at best but to be honest, who would thought putting Sonic in the real world was a good idea? But what has been said has been said and we can only move on, so yeah that's my thoughts on 06.

DBZHedgy, if my memory is correct, you're the one who brought up how much you love the game and how shallow (to put it politely) and wrong everyone is for disliking it.  You can't post those sort of things without expecting it to be subject to intense debate.  That's sort of the point of these forums.

As for the fate of this topic, as Nepenthe mentioned this topic shall remain open so members can discuss any and all aspects of the game, be it the game's quality or any other thing that pertains to the game.  Rather good or bad, Sonic '06 is part of Sonic's history, and as such we have a bit of an obligation to allow people to talk about it, which is why this topic is here in the first place.  So no, we will not be locking this topic and we won't be entertaining anymore discussions on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 9

I highly doubt people are going to start discussing things again, because it seems as though people act as if every game is superior to it in every right, when that is incorrect.

You're right, it's not, which is why I'm glad no one has said that except for you just now. You keep asking us to read through your posts more carefully, but I've not seen evidence that you haven't just skimmed through our own.

Why can't we just discuss it like any old topic WITHOUT bringing up the fact that you don't like it?

Because in your initial post, you insulted everyone in that camp.

And for the last time, whether or not we like the game has no bearing on its quality. The game would be a buggy mess whether we praised or despise it, stop treating the matter as if we're simply imagining all the issues we've experienced first-hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

... so yeah that's my thoughts on 06.

Great explanation, but is Elise really that bad? She did develop as a character after all. When she's first seen she easily surrenders with absolutely no restraint whatsoever. Then after Sonic comes in and meets her, he starts to rub off on her. The first instance is when she attempts to escape from Eggman's base, she doesn't however do this completely, but hey at least she tried right? The second time she shows character strides is when she attempts to kill herself in order to stop Eggman from obtaining her power, which is pretty heroic since she is just a regular old girl. Despite having flames of disaster locked within her soul. The third stride of her growth as a character is her ability to surrender herself in order to protect her country. This makes sense, since she's actually taking responsibility for herself. And as her final stride of character development she beats sonic to saying "If you have time to run, right?"

She isn't the most well written character, but it's still pretty good wouldn't ya say?

DBZHedgy, if my memory is correct, you're the one who brought up how much you love the game and how shallow (to put it politely) and wrong everyone is for disliking it.  You can't post those sort of things without expecting it to be subject to intense debate.  That's sort of the point of these forums.

As for the fate of this topic, as Nepenthe mentioned this topic shall remain open so members can discuss any and all aspects of the game, be it the game's quality or any other thing that pertains to the game.  Rather good or bad, Sonic '06 is part of Sonic's history, and as such we have a bit of an obligation to allow people to talk about it, which is why this topic is here in the first place.  So no, we will not be locking this topic and we won't be entertaining anymore discussions on the matter.

Actually to be specific, I had indeed claimed all of those things in my initial post because of how hostile I thought this forum would be, after realizing such I have stated that I would refrain from acting so frivolous again. Yet even though I did. People continue to attack me for my opinions, am I wrong? I have stated that I was in fault for doing so initially otherwise know as apologizing correct? I've even went as far to apologize to those who directly stated that they were offended. Yet people still shout at me "The game is terrible and no body likes it" I recall Rusty Spy saying the same thing. Yet all of this occurred AFTER I had apologized mind you. And AFTER I clearly stated that I respected everyone else's opinion. Go back and check, That's literally what happened. Keep In mind I did constantly say that I respected their opinions, yet they still use phrases like "The story's terrible why bother" and other associations of the matter.

Yes, I am aware of this, thank you however for renunciation.

I see Sonic 06 like this:

You can like it. You can like the story, you can like the visuals, you can like the characters (and their designs!). You can like the way the game itself feels, you can like the music (of course that's nothing anyone would blow off anyways), and you can like the overall tone. That's subjective, and you're free to like it all no matter how much I don't. It's cool.

But to deny that the game's loading times are rubbish, to deny the lack of focus on the main character, to deny that the game's general feel and style defies or alters most of everything that Sonic had made for himself (in both the Genesis and Adventure series), and to deny that the game was a goldmine of bugs and broken mechanics is pretty bad since.. well, that's objective. There's no way to walk around it with opinions, it's right there in front of you.

Sure, you may have not even noticed all those flaws the first time you played it, and I don't blame you. My first play-through of '06 was outright denial. It was my first 360 game, and I convinced myself that it wasn't badly constructed and was what a good time felt like. And let me tell you, I dang well believed it! Then suddenly after deciding to pick up and play the classic titles and SA1 again (as well as other good, non-Sonic games) and then picking 06 back up, I sort of realized I'd been bamboozled by my own poor judgement. (Unleashed only amplified this by 20 billion percent.)

So yeah. The game is outright objectively poop.

And yes, if you would've fixed it's issues it might've been great for some, but overall since it still was so questionable in it's concepts it would've probably still been considered anywhere from okay-to-bad, if not downright alienating. But since the game's quality was a total joke, it was a lot easier to swallow that pill and get it over with, regardless of the minority that thinks it would've been the greatest thing ever if done "right".

• Thumbs Up 7

Actually to be specific, I had indeed claimed all of those things in my initial post because of how hostile I thought this forum would be, after realizing such I have stated that I would refrain from acting so frivolous again. Yet even though I did. People continue to attack me for my opinions, am I wrong? I have stated that I was in fault for doing so initially otherwise know as apologizing correct? I've even went as far to apologize to those who directly stated that they were offended. Yet people still shout at me "The game is terrible and no body likes it" I recall Rusty Spy saying the same thing. Yet all of this occurred AFTER I had apologized mind you. And AFTER I clearly stated that I respected everyone else's opinion. Go back and check, That's literally what happened. Keep In mind I did constantly say that I respected their opinions, yet they still use phrases like "The story's terrible why bother" and other associations of the matter.

You invited people to refute your arguments and thats exactly what we did.

If you're going to make bold statements, don't be surprised when people argue against those statements.

"I like Sonic 06 because (reasons)"

Fine, whatever. That's your opinion.

"I don't understand why anyone could dislike this game. Here are reasons why you are all wrong for disliking Sonic 06"

Well, here are reasons why you are wrong for assuming we are wrong.

• Thumbs Up 4

Great explanation, but is Elise really that bad? She did develop as a character after all. When she's first seen she easily surrenders with absolutely no restraint whatsoever. Then after Sonic comes in and meets her, he starts to rub off on her. The first instance is when she attempts to escape from Eggman's base, she doesn't however do this completely, but hey at least she tried right? The second time she shows character strides is when she attempts to kill herself in order to stop Eggman from obtaining her power, which is pretty heroic since she is just a regular old girl. Despite having flames of disaster locked within her soul. The third stride of her growth as a character is her ability to surrender herself in order to protect her country. This makes sense, since she's actually taking responsibility for herself. And as her final stride of character development she beats sonic to saying "If you have time to run, right?"

She isn't the most well written character, but it's still pretty good wouldn't ya say?

There is a difference between a bad character and a badly written character. Elise is hated due to the writers not putting much thought into the story. At the beginning, you can clearly see she backed away from Eggman and shaking her head so I don't see how she would just surrender that easily, she had some restraint so there's that. Well yeah, she tried at least, I'll give you that. I found that moment rather stupid because it could be possible that she could have released Iblis, but that is an assumption than an actual fact but I still found it rather stupid, I mean what if Sonic didn't caught her on time, what would happen, then? I have made that point in my analysis, it would be wise to read other's posts throughly, just saying. So yeah, Elise had her moments but for the most part, she's just your typical damsel in distress.

Edited by SoniTH

You're right, it's not, which is why I'm glad no one has said that except for you just now. You keep asking us to read through your posts more carefully, but I've not seen evidence that you haven't just skimmed through our own.

Because in your initial post, you insulted everyone in that camp.

And for the last time, whether or not we like the game has no bearing on its quality. The game would be a buggy mess whether we praised or despise it, stop treating the matter as if we're simply imagining all the issues we've experienced first-hand.

What do you mean? I had clearly responded to many questions and accusations asked by people who would question it. However, I have brought up certain things that have and are still being neglected. Dodging the questions is what many have done in response to my reasoning, or just flat out ignoration (as in being ignored, not having ignorance). Here's a few examples. Sonic 1's Plot, Eggman's character contrast between then and now in comparison to Mephiles', the implication of Sonic 06's storyline in Generations, and quite a few more. Why have they gone unanswered?

And as a result I APOLOGIZED, yet I'm still being bombarded with replies to my comment saying that it isn't worth your time and such. How many times do I have to say it? Why should I respect the opinions of others if they do not respect mine?

Did I ever say that there weren't glitches in the game? No, which doesn't keep it from being a "buggy mess" but there are still "buggy messes" that can be enjoyed. Sonic Adventure is a prime example. 

What do you mean? I had clearly responded to many questions and accusations asked by people who would question it. However, I have brought up certain things that have and are still being neglected. Dodging the questions is what many have done in response to my reasoning, or just flat out ignoration (as in being ignored, not having ignorance). Here's a few examples. Sonic 1's Plot, Eggman's character contrast between then and now in comparison to Mephiles', the implication of Sonic 06's storyline in Generations, and quite a few more. Why have they gone unanswered?

And as a result I APOLOGIZED, yet I'm still being bombarded with replies to my comment saying that it isn't worth your time and such. How many times do I have to say it? Why should I respect the opinions of others if they do not respect mine?

Did I ever say that there weren't glitches in the game? No, which doesn't keep it from being a "buggy mess" but there are still "buggy messes" that can be enjoyed. Sonic Adventure is a prime example. 

I thought I had it summarized here:

If you have to ask a mod to lock a topic just because the topic is not completely leaning in your favor, then I think that speaks more about your willingness to discuss than it does about our ability to point out the various logical fallacies, strawmen, and total evasiveness in your attempts at discussing why Sonic 06 is a poorly designed game. You have the right to like it, but you have an uphill climb (if not a 90 degree angle) to try to prove it to be anything except a poor game, and constantly trying to act like everyone else is clearly wrong while doing very poorly at proving otherwise is not helping your case.

I just want to interject from this topic to say something, since this is a thing I've been seeing a good while recently, from not just you, but other commentators on the Sonic series in general (both fans and critics).

Sonic Adventure is nowhere near the same level of "buggy mess" as 06. It has it's issues and its technical downfalls, yes. It can be quite a buggy hunk-a-junk sometimes. But it's in all essences of the word "playable". Sonic 06 is barely even that.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can like it. You can like the story, you can like the visuals, you can like the characters (and their designs!). You can like the way the game itself feels, you can like the music (of course that's nothing anyone would blow off anyways), and you can like the overall tone. That's subjective, and you're free to like it all no matter how much I don't. It's cool.

But to deny that the game's loading times are rubbish, to deny the lack of focus on the main character, to deny that the game's general feel and style defies or alters most of everything that Sonic had made for himself (in both the Genesis and Adventure series), and to deny that the game was a goldmine of bugs and broken mechanics is pretty bad since.. well, that's objective. There's no way to walk around it with opinions, it's right there in front of you.

Sure, you may have not even noticed all those flaws the first time you played it, and I don't blame you. My first play-through of '06 was outright denial. It was my first 360 game, and I convinced myself that it wasn't badly constructed and was what a good time felt like. And let me tell you, I dang well believed it! Then suddenly after deciding to pick up and play the classic titles and SA1 again (as well as other good, non-Sonic games) and then picking 06 back up, I sort of realized I'd been bamboozled by my own poor judgement. (Unleashed only amplified this by 20 billion percent.)

And yes, if you would've fixed it's issues it might've been great for some, but overall since it still was so questionable in it's concepts it would've probably still been considered anywhere from okay-to-bad, if not downright alienating. But since the game's quality was a total joke, it was a lot easier to swallow that pill and get it over with, regardless of the minority that thinks it would've been the greatest thing ever if done "right".

Please find me a quote in which i have literally stated those things, unless of course you aren't mentioning me, because I never said I enjoyed the lack of focus on sonic, or the loading screens, or... Wait. Sonic 06 doesn't drastically change anything the previous games have done. In fact it was made to improve upon past gameplay mechanics. And the mechanics that aren't have been implemented in future games. 

And As i've explained thoroughly in previous posts, it is how you interpret the game that gives you your opinion. These Facts can be considered and the game could still be enjoyable. Because that much I've already proved.

I thought I had it summarized here:

That doesn't answer my question. Again, I've shown why I think things are the way they are, and that resulted in my response being final. I cannot fully grasp the stance that you take if the questions in which that are set up to further help me understand why it is a "bad game" unless you answer all of them indetail, rather than repeating the same thing several times, and dodging my questions...

I just want to interject from this topic to say something, since this is a thing I've been seeing a good while recently, from not just you, but other commentators on the Sonic series in general (both fans and critics).

Sonic Adventure is nowhere near the same level of "buggy mess" as 06. It has it's issues and its technical downfalls, yes. It can be quite a buggy hunk-a-junk sometimes. But it's in all essences of the word "playable". Sonic 06 is barely even that.

It is still however a buggy mess. Your point is invalid.

And AGAIN, Saying Sonic 06 is unplayable is quite literally incorrect as well and that is a fact. Especially since it is VERY possible to complete the entire game 100% that is the exact opposite of unplayable. And if you've seen the video that I've posted you can see that the games that inhibit these glitches are fan favorites. Therefore being a buggy mess doesn't immediately abandon itself into the "bad games" category.

That doesn't answer my question. Again, I've shown why I think things are the way they are, and that resulted in my response being final. I cannot fully grasp the stance that you take if the questions in which that are set up to further help me understand why it is a "bad game" unless you answer all of them indetail, rather than repeating the same thing several times, and dodging my questions...

It is still however a buggy mess. Your point is invalid.

And AGAIN, Saying Sonic 06 is unplayable is quite literally incorrect as well and that is a fact. Especially since it is VERY possible to complete the entire game 100% that is the exact opposite of unplayable. And if you've seen the video that I've posted you can see that the games that inhibit these glitches are fan favorites.

You keeping rocketing your statements at us and we keep volleying them back at you. We've given you our reasons for why things apparently took a turn for the worse in 06. I know I've certainly given my 2 cents of why this game is bad only for you to have raised the "it's just your opinions so try again" shield. 

And as for being "unplayable" the glitchiness apparently tends to vary from player to player, and if you get forever stuck with glitches like the wall-humping, yes the game can end becoming "unplayable". Hell, pokecapn's LP of the game does a good job of documenting just how much bad game design can be a gamer's kryptonite.

You keeping rocketing your statements at us and we keep volleying them back at you. We've given you our reasons for why things apparently took a turn for the worse in 06. I know I've certainly given my 2 cents of why this game is bad only for you to have raised the "it's just your opinions so try again" shield. 

And as for being "unplayable" the glitchiness apparently tends to vary from player to player, and if you get forever stuck with glitches like the wall-humping, yes the game can end becoming "unplayable". Hell, pokecapn's LP of the game does a good job of documenting just how much bad game design can be a gamer's kryptonite.

Even the unstableness is unstable.

That really says it all.

• Thumbs Up 7

So Roger is at it again with the Sonic Dissected episodes. And coincidentally, he talk about 06's story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RRem94fkRg

One of the more perplexing issues with this game are the double loads every time you accept a quest. The only reason I can imagine for them would be the dialog system not able to deal with saying the extra line when a mission is accepted, so they need to reload the entire state because they, for some reason, made the game handle data as a finite state machine. Makes no sense.

I think this could be over really quickly if the guy would just accept that "fun to play" and "good quality game" are not the same thing. Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic & the Black Knight are not especially great games, but I enjoy playing them a lot though likely not for the reasons intended to sell large amounts of copies.

Sonic 06 is an awful, awful, AWFUL quality game, but there's absolutely ways to have genuine fun playing it, and if this guy has found his fun then I'm really happy for him. Do wish he'd stop being so gosh darned condescending, but I guess that's how it goes when you're convinced you're right and everyone is still ganging up against you. You are not wrong, but you're arguing from the wrong position.

• Thumbs Up 7

One of the more perplexing issues with this game are the double loads every time you accept a quest. The only reason I can imagine for them would be the dialog system not able to deal with saying the extra line when a mission is accepted, so they need to reload the entire state because they, for some reason, made the game handle data as a finite state machine. Makes no sense.

I always found that pretty odd too. Even an unfinished game shouldn't have any reason to reload the entire world (which it clearly has to, considering loading times are identical to every other time you enter the area) to display one line of dialogue and change the music. In fact save for a small handful of the sidequests (specifically the racetrack area built specifically for them and is inacessible any other way) there really shouldn't be any loading times - just a script to temporarily delete/relocate NPCs and spawn in the shit relevant to the quest.

This doesn't even strike me as an oversight, because if anything displaying the post-confirm dialogue immediately after accepting a quest would be easier to program than how they handled it in 06. Who the fuck would do that conciously? Did anyone even have a set plan of how they were going to make this game before they started?

• Thumbs Up 1

First, as a note, countering hostility with more hostility is a pretty poor method of getting anyone to see your side of the argument.  If you feel you have to insult others anywhere, even a place notorious for its blunt and uncensored nature such as YouTube, an argument whereby you call people names and devalue the opinions of others is an argument that will never reach an end.

Second, apologizing for a sour tone does not mean your original points are no longer up for debate.  Anything you post here is subject to debate.  That's how a forum works.

Third, no offense, but you seem to have a very loose definition of the word "attack."  While we have had to get onto a few members due to the very nature of this being a topic specifically for the most derisive Sonic game currently released, the fact is that few, if any, have outright attacked your opinion on the matter.  They have merely expressed disagreement, cynical and blunt as they may sometimes be.

I respect that you apologized and changed your tone quickly, but that wasn't even the point of my last post.  My point being that you gave your opinion on the matter and members are discussing it.  Even if you had posted your original points in a more respectful manner, at the end of the day, many of your points are still fallacious and often fail to actually credit the game in question.  If you really feel that your opinion is being attacked or otherwise disrespected, please do give me specific instances and I'll be happy to take them into account, but as is, you're sort of coming across as self-victimizing.

• Thumbs Up 3

The way I see it, it was probably easier for them to program it to load the entire hubworld than program it to load a select place on the hubworld.

They probably would have done that in a later build, too.

However, I have brought up certain things that have and are still being neglected. Dodging the questions is what many have done in response to my reasoning, or just flat out ignoration (as in being ignored, not having ignorance). Here's a few examples. Sonic 1's Plot, Eggman's character contrast between then and now in comparison to Mephiles', the implication of Sonic 06's storyline in Generations, and quite a few more. Why have they gone unanswered?

Well, I presume it's because Sonic 1's excuse plot, Eggman's character inconsistencies and Sonic Generations' questionable use of certain plot elements have little, if anything, to do with the discussion at hand. Even if those things that you mentioned are problems, they don't in any way justify Sonic '06's own numerous issues.

I know I'm a bit late into this discussion but dayum DBZHedgy. You can enjoy this atrocity all you want, but you have to accept the fact that most of us don't like it because it's a super flawed game and that's just the way it is. Defending the game's story and characterisation is also nigh impossible since it's so flawed and bad and yuck I don't even wanna think about it! And as others have said before me, no this does not mean we hold other Sonic game plots on a high pedestal. In fact I think Generations story is just AS bad as Sonic 06!

Seriously though, just let it go already.

• Thumbs Up 5

No, your'e doing the exact opposite in fact. Dodging them.

*Why you think the game is bad.

My main problem is since I've stated my opinions on the game. People have been saying nothing more than "It's a bad dame" as if it were fact, when it isn't. Have I said It's a good game after my initial post? No, I've constantly stated, "That's why I enjoyed it".

You don't have to sling around "Its a bad game" just because were discussing about it. Because if that's all youre (Not you in particular) going to say, than it's not adding much since it has already been stated a million times...

No, Soft Resetting the game can instantly get you to replay the part in question. Unlike many of the glitches shown in the video I've posted earlier. Never has the game rendered you incapable of Continuing because of Saving the game in a certain place. Therefore it is still NOT unplayable.

Ironically however, even people who DETEST the game have still gotten S ranks in DLC and Super Hard mode. That goes to say that even THEY are able to overcome the games bad points.

Ironically however, even people who DETEST the game have still gotten S ranks in DLC and Super Hard mode. That goes to say that even THEY are able to overcome the games bad points.

... or they could just be really, really stubborn with completing games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even the unstableness is unstable.

That really says it all.

More unstable than the glitches I've already presented? Nope.

So Roger is at it again with the Sonic Dissected episodes. And coincidentally, he talk about 06's story.

Yea, Roger's discussions are pretty good to reference. I like his second part to the Sonic 06 discussion though, it really hits it home.