Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

So, apparently I'll be handcuffed (for life) with Shining Armor.

Welp, you guys know what this means.

We're gonna be high off our flanks.

38572__safe_image-macro_shining-armor_vulgar.png

(Tried to find Pony inspired Reggae... could'nt find any (good ones)... Is dissapoint)

Edited by Hue the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was just about to bust out the welcome wagon and say OH HAI WELCOME TO THE THREAD/HERD until I saw your deviantart link there.

I am not a clever pony.

u7u076.jpg

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 6

> born in May

> stop reading

Also, I just finished reading My Little Dashie earlier. Is "this is the stupidest thing I have ever read" the correct response?

Honestly, while It did make me tear up, I kinda have a mixed feelings towards it (mostly negative). On one hand, it was one of the first fanfics I read and that made me cry and it didn't help that I was listening to a sad song while reading it... On the other, it basically seems like a lonely, pessimistic brony thought his fantasy of adopting Rainbow Dash as a daughter would make for a good fic and wrote it down. Cause looking back, there were times in the story that felt pretty damn pathetic. (No offense to the author or anyone who liked the story, just my opinion... Plus I'm sure the author isn't like this, considering the story was based off of a short comic.)

And I completely agree with your opinion on RD's characterization in this story, very flat and I just can't picture Dash saying "Daddy." So yes, I understand your thoughts on this story completely, Sean. I find it grossly overrated.... And I've read better sad fics recently.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

I was just about to bust out the welcome wagon and say OH HAI WELCOME TO THE THREAD/HERD until I saw your deviantart link there.

I am not a clever pony.

Oh yes, that reminds me.

I'm not a Brony anymore.

...I'm a Broriginal Character now.

131645489062.gif?1316661129

Edited by Hue the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, I can have a fucking field day with everything I found wrong with this story, and I wouldn't give nearly as much of a shit about it as I do now if it weren't for it being one of the single most popular stories in the entire fandom, which blows my mind. All I saw in it was a personality-less cypher coincidentally named Rainbow Dash who was nothing like Rainbow Dash at all, as well as a mopey and badly characterized reader-stand-in protagonist who I wanted to punch for every word he said, both which are surrounded by pages of poorly written, poorly paced, and poorly executed "sad" and "heartwarming" moments, neither emotion which crossed my mind while reading due to how incredibly forced, fake, and pretentious the entire thing was.

This is pretty much how I saw it as well. There is just so much wrong with it (Like the fact that the protagonist basically had an alien in his house for 15 YEARS and somehow no one found out.) I think a lot of bronies praise it because they want wish fulfillment and are willing to ignore the huge flaws it has.

Anyway, I tried that new birthday game and it says I get to party with Luna. Hell yeah!

I was about to post that one. :lol:

Might be a bit overdone but the ending made me ROFL (because the comic is so long that I forgot that important detail next to the title)

• Thumbs Up 1

I never thought you could fit that many memes into one comic... but there you have it.

Okay, you know you're spending too much time with bronies when you almost say "everypony" in casual conversation. Maybe I need a vacation from this.

Edited by Speederino

Dat comic

Freaking bronies and your comics and art that lifts my negative mood. Screw you wonderful assholes :3

• Thumbs Up 2

Pffffffff. Everyone knows that the REAL Nappa would try throwing a Pokeball at them first. tongue.png

Okay, move over DBZ comic. Because THIS is just fucking awesome.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 6

You know, I found My Little Dashie to be amazing. At the very least, it is the saddest thing I've ever read: it actually made me cry at the end. Of course, I don't like the ending very much, and by the ending, I mean the very end which is why I like the sequel that was made by a different author; it gives me a good, happy ending. I also don't really like how the story skips over huge chunks of time like that, but that's pretty easily overlooked. Overall, I'd say it's the second best MLP fanfiction I've ever read.

And, c'mon, who wouldn't want a filly Rainbow Dash?

EDIT: Oh, and This Spy Aria is very well done. Very well done.

Edited by Grimchi3f

So far I've tackled about a quarter of Gato's list of fanfics for the show plus I am currently re watching from Season 1. In regards to the birthday game that Prince Solaris posted I make clones of Rainbow Dash leaving me dreading the moment the clones attempt an "Atomic Rainboom."

I'm into chapter 7 of anthropology, and I'm loving every bit of this so far. Although I can't help but laugh whenever I see the Ponies doubting Lyra about humans since humans are basically the Ponies unknown masters of their universe, with them making My little pony and Friendship is Magic and whatnot...I wonder if that's ever poked at into the story or not.

Edited by Hank Hill

So I checked out Gato's fanfic list... I gotta say I found quite a bit of fics that caught my eye. I saved a bunch of them in my favorites and I'm meaning to check them out.

And I've followed Anthropology since it's early chapters and now that it's done, I might as well give my thoughts on it... It was enjoyable enough nothing too special IMO. I'm in the minority when I say I wasn't thrilled with the plot twist at the beginning.... At all. I was actually enjoying the slice of life theme going on for it in the beginning with Lyra and Bon Bon. However, once that twist came about, all I could say was... "Really?" dry.png

Wasn't a bad fic though, there were a few parts where it bugged me at times, such as how most of the characters treated Lyra in the beginning, a few things after the first twist and the ending... I felt it was way too sudden and not satisfying at all. But overall, I'd say it's worth a look if you love the human obsessed Lyra fanon, like myself; Despite a few gripes with it, I'm glad I read it.

You know, I found My Little Dashie to be amazing. At the very least, it is the saddest thing I've ever read: it actually made me cry at the end. Of course, I don't like the ending very much, and by the ending, I mean the very end which is why I like the sequel that was made by a different author; it gives me a good, happy ending. I also don't really like how the story skips over huge chunks of time like that, but that's pretty easily overlooked. Overall, I'd say it's the second best MLP fanfiction I've ever read.

And, c'mon, who wouldn't want a filly Rainbow Dash?

Whatever's cool with you! biggrin.png

I'm not gonna lie, it did make me cry when I first read it (

) But personally, after reading it again, it kinda felt pathetic for me at times... No offense, I'm there are plenty of Bronies like myself that daydream about having a pony of their own... C'mon who wouldn't want one? It's just that it's not something I really want to hear about from other people, which is what this fanfic felt like to me and that's something I don't really care about.

Not just that, but the main character that the reader is supposed to Identify with (Known by the readers as "Daddy") is just too depressed for me to relate to... Granted, "Daddy" had a crappy life and it may be because I'm a tad too optimistic, but I really can't Identify with him or picture myself as him.

As for Rainbow Dash... well, maybe I was a little bit hard on her portrayal in my first post, cause to be fair she's pretty much being re-raised by someone else, and it's possible she's gotten some personality changes. However, Imagining Rainbow Dash saying "Daddy" makes me cringe harder than I should.

One positive thing about the story is the ending though... Depressing, yes, but it's a nice message about moving forward in life and how memories last forever.

And I think I read that sequel before... Nice little continuation of the story, but my biggest gripe with the story is the ending... I'll spoiler it in case anyone's interested in reading it.

Earlier in the story, it is mentioned that "Daddy" is socializing more with his co-workers and is coming out of his shell. It was actually interesting, because I could relate to him... but then what happens? He decides to live with Rainbow Dash in Equestria... Um... sorry, but This kinda bugs me for some reason... I honestly can't explain why this irks me, but It just felt like the development he was getting was thrown out the window and that kinda annoyed me.

So yeah, I still think anything My Little Dashie related is grossly overrated and I don't think it's one of the greatest stories I read in the fanbase, but I think they have a few good things going for it.

But anyways... I'm officially a Whovian guys!

But I still can't see the appeal in Dr Whooves, guys, sorry! His fanon personality is just incredibly lazy for me, I mean I wouldn't mind reading a story where Dr Whooves shares similar traits to Doctor Who, but isn't a time lord or doesn't have anything to do with the good doctor.... Similar to how Discord is to Q in the actual show. But it seems that every single thing having to do with Dr Whooves is taken straight out of Doctor Who. Sorry, but if I wanted to read a Doctor Who fic, I'd read a Doctor Who fic. And I'll never get why Derpy is always paired as the Doctor's assistant when I feel characters like Twilight or Colgate (Or whatever the Dr Whooves fic calls Colgate... I personally prefer Dentist Colgate though.)

Oh well. Not everything can please me I guess. *Shrugs*

While we're on the subject, after finishing Anthropology I started looking for more Lyra-related fanfics. Check out Background Pony when you get the chance. It's a very different take on Lyra, and there's absolutely no mention of humans. I've only read the first chapter but so far I'm liking what I'm reading. You should be able to tell if this is your cup of tea just by reading the synopsis:

My name is Lyra Heartstrings, and you will not remember me. You won't even remember this conversation. Just like with everypony else I've ever met, everything I do or say will be forgotten. Every letter I've written will appear blank; every piece of evidence I've left behind will end up missing. I'm stuck here in Ponyville because of the same curse that has made me so forgettable. Still, that doesn't stop me from doing the one thing that I love: making music. If my melodies find their way into your heart, then there is still hope for me. If I can't prove that I exist, I can at least prove that my love for each and every one of you exists. Please, listen to my story, my symphony, for it is me.
Edited by Speederino

But I still can't see the appeal in Dr Whooves, guys, sorry! His fanon personality is just incredibly lazy for me, I mean I wouldn't mind reading a story where Dr Whooves shares similar traits to Doctor Who, but isn't a time lord or doesn't have anything to do with the good doctor.... Similar to how Discord is to Q in the actual show. But it seems that every single thing having to do with Dr Whooves is taken straight out of Doctor Who. Sorry, but if I wanted to read a Doctor Who fic, I'd read a Doctor Who fic.

This is how I've been feeling about the character ever since I've taken an interest in the background characters. I like how the fans try filling in details, but I do not like the idea of just superimposing an entirely different character into him. Characters like Derpy, Lyra, and Vinyl all seem to have their own identities, whereas Time Turner is nothing more than another character in pony form. Whoop de doo.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm. Well see, here's the thing in my case.

is what finally made me decide to take the plunge into the Who-neverse, so I'm completely and utterly fine with Doctor Whooves/Time Turner being the actual Doctor. I just treat the fanworks surrounding him as crossovers, and in my headcanon for the show I like to pretend we keep catching him in the middle of adventures.

The thing is, if this background character was given a more original personality with his own shtick...then he just wouldn't be the same. We've got dozens upon dozens of other background ponies to play around with, so I don't think we're missing much by treating this one character as a stand-in.

That's my two bits on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, fanon placing a background character with such a rich and detailed story always appealed to me because there is just so much there to draw from when he's used. It just seems like there's more to his basis, and when stories use him as such and take the time to implement him into the narrative I really enjoy it.

Perhaps it's ordinarily because I couldn't give a damn if I tried about "real" Dr. Who stuff, so these bits and pieces being lifted wholesale don't bother me any.

• Thumbs Up 2

Perhaps it's ordinarily because I couldn't give a damn if I tried about "real" Dr. Who stuff, so these bits and pieces being lifted wholesale don't bother me any.

On that note, I will say that I can see how Doctor Whooves can be off-putting to people who aren't familiar with him.

However, if the show itself can create a villain based entirely off of a Star Trek character (Which I barely know anything about) and then have him played by the exact same actor, a simple background character is an easy pill for me to swallow by comparison, especially one that doesn't really do anything on the show itself except provide occasional shout-outs to the fandom.

Edited by Speederino

While we're on the subject, after finishing Anthropology I started looking for more Lyra-related fanfics. Check out Background Pony when you get the chance. It's a very different take on Lyra, and there's absolutely no mention of humans. I've only read the first chapter but so far I'm liking what I'm reading. You should be able to tell if this is your cup of tea just by reading the synopsis:

Hmmm... It sounds way to philosophical to me from what I've heard. I don't really like reading stories like that, due to how hard it is to wrap my mind around it. In other words, I don't really want to think too much when I'm reading stories. Shame, cause I could use more Lyra fics.

On that note, I will say that I can see how Doctor Whooves can be off-putting to people who aren't familiar with him.

However, if the show itself can create a villain based entirely off of a Star Trek character (Which I barely know anything about) and then have him played by the exact same actor, a simple background character is an easy pill for me to swallow by comparison, especially one that doesn't really do anything on the show itself except provide occasional shout-outs to the fandom.

Honestly, while I do consider myself a Whovian, I still kinda find Doctor Whooves off-putting, for the reasons I've already mentioned earlier. Kinda makes me feel like I'm the only Whovian Brony who tries to avoid anything Dr Whooves related like the plauge. Hell, remember EqD's poll about "if you could make a spin off, what would it be?" The Dr. Whooves choice won, which I though was the worst choice IMO.

Of course, while Discord's similarities to Q irks me a little bit (very little) He at least is a good character even if you aren't familiar with the Star Trek franchise (Though I am familiar, and I do remember loving the Q episodes Star Trek the next generation when I was younger.) I think I've mentioned before that Dr Whooves takes too many references from Doctor Who for me to enjoy it, cause like I said, I'd rather be reading an actual Doctor Who fic/comic/fanwork than a Ponified version of it. After watching this show, I can say I'm loving this already, and it has so much room for possibilities with time travel, dimension hopping, and all sorts other things they can get away with the "Wibbly Wobbly Timey-Wimey" stuff. But along with me preferring Doctor Who fanworks over Dr Whooves, I'm really picky when it comes to crossovers, and I guess I just don't like sci-fi elements being thrown into My Little Pony. I just don't really like the Dr Who universe crossing over with the Pony universe, and seeing the creatures like Daleks and Weeping Angels wandering Ponyville just seems out of place to me.

Oh well, this is just me though. The immense popularity of this fanon just baffles me, same way as how some are baffled by Lyra's obsession with humans or Vinyl and Octavia being Roommates/friends/rivals/lovers/whatever. Can't love every fanon that's dished out.

So yeah, just someone in the minority... Once again. Oh well, not my thing, nothing to get too worked up over. Just my reasons as to why It's not as appealing to me as most other fanon BG ponies are.

And I can't even see the resemblance with Dr Whooves and David Tennant...